Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.Sad.But.True. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago
" Or restrictions of how one can't marry non Islamic beings or one shouldn't worship Idols makes the religion sound very narrow minded and not as tolerant''
As far as I know every religion says things like that. In hinduism people arent even allowed to marry outside their caste. Its unfair to call a religion narrow-minded based on these lines only. Yes, worshipping idols is not allowed. Worshipping is also not allowed in  Christianity, Judaism and abrahamic religions. So idk why you only chose Islam. If you actually read Quran then you would know that one of the biggest sin is hurting,insulting someone. According to Islam not even Allah can forgive that person who has hurt someone intentionally. The person who has been hurt is the only one who can forgive. Yes we are not allowed to worship and yes we have to follow Mohammad and Allah because thats the essence of our religion. If we do not follow these rules then we will be punished. Almost every religion has certain rules and if those rules are not followed then the followers will be punished according to the scriptures. If these rules make Islam narrow-minded then all other religions are no different. Although personally I do not think any religion is narrow-minded just because they have strict rules.
Edited by .Sad.But.True. - 9 years ago
Originally posted by: .Sad.But.True.

In hinduism people arent even allowed to marry outside their caste. Its unfair to call a religion narrow-minded based on these lines only. Yes, worshipping idols is not allowed. Worshipping is also not allowed in  Christianity

I beg to differ, there is nothing mentioned in hindu vedas about restriction on marrying outside the caste because when vedas were written no other religion existed. Infact there are 7-8 type of marriages described in the vedas ( marriages right from mutual understanding to love marriage).

In hinduism people can worship idol or without idol but there is no restriction. There is reason behind idol worship, mind without focus often tend to wonder here and there. With idol people meditate God with a focus and God image comes in their mind and people feel they are directly talking/giving message to the God. Another example is a letter without address will never reach right destination. Thats why hindu worship idol, they think their message is directly passed to the God but its left on individual, they can still worship  without idol too.
Edited by 9tanki - 9 years ago
-Aarya- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

" Or restrictions of how one can't marry non Islamic beings or one shouldn't worship Idols makes the religion sound very narrow minded and not as tolerant''

As far as I know every religion says things like that. In hinduism people arent even allowed to marry outside their caste. Its unfair to call a religion narrow-minded based on these lines only. Yes, worshipping idols is not allowed. Worshipping is also not allowed in  Christianity, Judaism and abrahamic religions. So idk why you only chose Islam. If you actually read Quran then you would know that one of the biggest sin is hurting,insulting someone. According to Islam not even Allah can forgive that person who has hurt someone intentionally. The person who has been hurt is the only one who can forgive. Yes we are not allowed to worship and yes we have to follow Mohammad and Allah because thats the essence of our religion. If we do not follow these rules then we will be punished. Almost every religion has certain rules and if those rules are not followed then the followers will be punished according to the scriptures. If these rules make Islam narrow-minded then all other religions are no different. Although personally I do not think any religion is narrow-minded just because they have strict rules.

How much of a dept knowledge do people really have on their own religions beliefs? Where do these religion beliefs come from? What unique evidence is there for your religion or worldview on your religion? Can you prove that what you say about your religion  is true?

Just the fact that you believe in God is a narrow minded belief. If there are many gods, then, of course, it is a totally narrow minded belief to pick just one.  But, if there is only one God, it would be foolish to insist on more, right, so which is it, one God or Many? And if it's many which one is real...

Edited by -Aarya- - 9 years ago
.Sad.But.True. thumbnail
Originally posted by: 9tanki

I beg to differ, there is nothing mentioned in hindu vedas about restriction on marrying outside the caste because when vedas were written no other religion existed. Infact there are 7-8 type of marriages described in the vedas ( marriages right from mutual understanding to love marriage).

In hinduism people can worship idol or without idol but there is no restriction. There is reason behind idol worship, mind without focus often tend to wonder here and there. With idol people meditate God with a focus and God image comes in their mind and people feel they are directly talking/giving message to the God. Another example is a letter without address will never reach right destination. Thats why hindu worship idol, they think their message is directly passed to the God but its left on individual, they can still worship  without idol too.

I wasnt talking about Vedas. But you cant deny that there  existed (or still exists in some places)caste system in hinduism. . Not only that there are rituals like sati practice and Purushamedha(vedic practice as far as I know) etc. Please understand that I am not trying to bash hinduism. I am just trying to say that there are strict rules, rituals, beliefs in every religion. I am not against hindus worshipping idols. Thanks for letting me know the philosophy behind it. Just so you know Muslims  do not worship idols because for us our creation can't symbolize the power of Almighty and his power is beyond our human imagination but that does not mean we are allowed to insult people who worship idols or believe in such concept. :)😊. 

.Sad.But.True. thumbnail
Originally posted by: -Aarya-

How much of a dept knowledge do people really have on their own religions beliefs? Where do these religion beliefs come from? What unique evidence is there for your religion or worldview on your religion? Can you prove that what you say about your religion  is true?

Just the fact that you believe in God is a narrow minded belief. If there are many gods, then, of course, it is a totally narrow minded belief to pick just one.  But, if there is only one God, it would be foolish to insist on more, right, so which is it, one God or Many? And if it's many which one is real...

Lol and atheists believing that people who believe in God are narrow-minded make them open minded? We all can agree that the universe operates somehow. There is has to be a power which operates it. For me God is that power. What is so narrow-minded about believing that?

Not only that there are rituals like sati practice and Purushamedha(vedic practice as far as I know) etc. Please understand that I am not trying to bash hinduism. I am just trying to say that there are strict rules, rituals, beliefs in every religion.

Sati Pratha was never mentioned in vedas. Sati real meaning is woman who is fully dedicated to her husband. Some woman gave up their life in love after their husband passed. But over the time the practice was given different name like Jauhar (Rajasthan - where woman committed suicide if their husband died in the war to avoid being captured by the enemy) but in early 18th century it was banned.

Purushamedha was translated wrong and its circulated by haters. The real meaning in Sanskrit is spiritual and advancement of self conscience of a man. Its Purusha + Medha. In sanskrit Purusha stands for  "person," "self," "spirit," or "consciousness") and Medha mean intelligence which is still used for girl name in India. Purushamedha is mentioned in Yajurveda which a literature that has procedure for sacrifice, but its doesnt mean literal meaning of sacrifice of human as come up by the people who had no knowledge of Sanksrit. 

Edited by 9tanki - 9 years ago
Originally posted by: firework

Can't they change these words or phrases? Or have they already changed them?

I read somewhere that ISIS trains its members through religious texts. They first teach them through old books on religion and insist that modern Islam is not as pure or as accurate.

That's the issue. Quran is word of God, so throw in anything and a millennium later even that shall be claimed to be the ultimate truth. Claiming something as the Word of God is a case of disaster IMO for those who like to interpret or misinterpret the book. 

--------

Btw, does Quran talk about Siya, Sunni, Ahmedians etc etc divisions we see in Muslims ? :/ There itself shows how even moderates can interpret the same book differently. So is it still a word of God which hasn't been doctored or manipulated with since the past many centuries as the world evolved ?
Edited by Fiery.Fawkes - 9 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
The original Pentateuch is also said to be the word of God. 
In the end the question is not about whether something is God's word or not, the question is about how sane are those who believe. 

Judaism has been slowly liberalized over time. Christianity had the protestant reform movement. Even Hinduism had a renaissance with Raja Ram Mohan Roy, Swami Vivekanada and others promoting a much more modern and liberal practice. 

The problem with Islam today is that it is the youngest major religion and the only one that has not undergone a major reform movement from within. 
Bwaahahha,  talking about Islam and the ads pop right in on IF on how to convert to Islam ðŸ¤£

http://www.islamreligion.com/chat-con/?cmp=en-con-en&kw=&pm=www.india-forums.com&gclid=CJeX1pCGo8QCFQguaQod2k8Auw

And I can even convert via Live Chat ðŸ¤£

-------

This interweb so bloody amusing. Anyhoo, let's continue...
Edited by Fiery.Fawkes - 9 years ago
Originally posted by: Fiery.Fawkes

Bwaahahha,  talking about Islam and the ads pop right in on IF on how to convert to Islam ðŸ¤£

http://www.islamreligion.com/chat-con/?cmp=en-con-en&kw=&pm=www.india-forums.com&gclid=CJeX1pCGo8QCFQguaQod2k8Auw

And I can even convert via Live Chat ðŸ¤£

-------

This interweb so bloody amusing. Anyhoo, let's continue...

you can opt out from ad permanently using this  
I use adblockplus in chrome and it takes care of any pop up or ad and its best tool.
~~~~~~~

Coming back to topic, I personally feel because of this conversion thing mentioned in the holy book, it may have pass some wrong message to people or may be its interpreted in a wrong way. As an example If we look at Indian history, even Aurangzeb forcefully converted hindu into muslim and destroyed temples.

I do understand haters come up with wrong translation and looking back at the history there is something wrong going on.  

This are quote which I feel is misunderstood in someway

"Qur'an (8:39) - "And fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief and polytheism: i.e. worshiping others besides Allah) and the religion (worship) will all be for Allah Alone [in the whole of the world ]. But if they cease (worshiping others besides Allah), then certainly, Allah is All-Seer of what they do."

Qur'an (9:29) - "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."

Qur'an (2:193) - "And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion be only for Allah.

Qur'an (3:83) - "Are they seeking a religion other than Allah's, when every soul in the heavens and the earth has submitted to Him, willingly or by compulsion?"   "

I do understand just picking up lines isn't right thing to do because overall it may have different meaning, please do correct if something is wrong here.