Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

simim thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Main Aur Mr Riight movie review: Barun Sobti saves this otherwise dissapointing film!

It's probably one of the disastrous rom-coms of the year - clearly worth a miss

Ever since I heard that Barun Sobti, who had quit his popular daily soap for better prospects, has signed a film - I have been eagerly waiting to see it. In fact, the telly actor is the only reason I agreed to review Main Aur Mr Riight.

What is it about? 

The plot revolves around Ms Perfectionist Aliya Raj (Shenaz Treasurywala) who is a casting director in search of her Mr Right.  Aliya is single and her friends constantly keep pressurising her to get hitched by shoving their perfect' relationships under her nose. Fed up of the constant pressure, she blindly picks a photograph of an aspiring actors from her purse and shows it to her friends as her boyfriend - who is her supposed Mr Right. Enter Sukhi (Barun Sobti) who in reality is the complete opposite of what Aliya is looking for in her man. Nonetheless, Aliya trains Sukhi to walk, sit, talk, eat and behave in public. When her friends meet him, they are impressed by Sukhi, who is now called Hredhaan from London. The end is as predictable is quite predictable.

What's good

Barun Sobti delivers an earnest performance. If he picks the right project, I am sure he will be taken seriously and be offered good roles. Every phase in the story is showcased by actors auditioning and narrating what will happen next - which is something that kept me in splits.Shenaz Treasurywala may not be a great actress, but is well styled. Keeping the relationships between all the couples as real as possible was one of the other things that I liked. At least the director - Adeeb Rais didn't sugarcoat the truth of relationships in the current times.

What's bad

Except Barun, every other actor in the movie needs to go back to the basics of acting, including Shenaz Treasurywala . The actress seems to be still stuck in her Ishq Vishk days (her debut film). The director seemed obsessed with skin show.. The songs weren't catchy and the choreography was amateurish. The inclusion of the yesteryear song Yaar bina chain kaha re from Anil Kapoor and Amrita Singh's Saheb seemed unnecessary and completely forced. They tried to lift the scene from the original movie and failed miserably. The whole story is predictable right from the start, but then again the makers had warned me that the movie is nothing new but just made from the heart.

Verdict

Without Barun, there is clearly nothing to see in the film and hence recommended only if you are a Sobti fan. If not,Main Aur Mr Riight is definitely not for you. And it should never be featured among rom-com movies.

Aruni. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Box office capsule Review

Friday, 12th December 11:15 AM IST

MAIN AUR MR RIGHT Works Only As Unintentional Comedy

Pluses:

Barun Sobti is decent performer

Minuses:

poor performances from all supporting cast including main female lead Shehnaz, 3rd grade music, poor direction, no hook in script 

Critic Rating:

0.5/5

Business Rating:

0/5

Verdict:

Watch it if you can find any reason

Detailed Analysis:

'Main Aur Mr Right' is one more small budget and badly made film which keep tanking every weekend without notice. Film marks debut of popular TV actor Barun Sobti.

Film has no plot to start with. There is a girl Alia (Shehnaz Treasurywala) who is famous casting director in Bollywood. She has group of friends. All her friends are in relationships but somewhere down the line they all want Alia to find her soul mate too. But Alia is very choosy and she doesn't like any guy as she is perfectionist. She is waiting for Mr. Right. One day in middle of all strugglers in Bollywood she finds a guy Sukkhi (Barun Sobti). In order to avoid more pressure from her friend circle, she presents Sukkhi as Hridaan, the perfect dude as her boyfriend. Sukkhi behaves as perfect due but his presence brings all underlying problems of relationships of Alia's friends forward. How Alia finds her mister perfect forms the rest of the story. 

Performance wise Barun Sobti is letdown by poor writing and direction but he displays certain kind of honesty in his performance. Shehnaz looks aged and has no zeal in front of camera. Rest of the supporting cast is so bad that they provide handful of unintentional laughable situations. 

Film has some real boring forcibly inserted songs. Editing is uneven and cinematography is below par. Background score is cliche and makes things worse. Story and screenplay are the worst part. Dialogues are very pathetic. Art department and costume department are tacky as well. 

Director Adeeb Rais delivers a film which could had been bad anyways considering such a bad written material. He fails to build up chemistry and intensity required for such film.

Film will release today and will get 200 screens which will be apt for such film. Film has no chances at box office though there is no major competition from Bollywood but with such content even miracle can not save it.

Go for this one if you have to watch a bad film after all warnings!

http://www.boxofficecapsule.com/review/Main-Aur-Mr-Right-244
Edited by -aruni- - 9 years ago
Katelyn thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 6
Very exciting time for all Sobtians.  And we all waited patiently for this day.  All the best to our Barun and the entire MAMR team.
Aruni. thumbnail
Now Running Review

Main Aur Mr. Riight Review

CRITICS - (1 / 5) : Poor  

Main Aur Mr Riight is as faulty as the spelling of 'right' in the title of the film. And no amount of numerology is going to help. 

Noyon Jyoti Parasara    Thu, 11 Dec 2014 

I have liked Shenaz Treasurywala. She is quite pretty and makes for an attractive persona on screen. That's as long as she sticks to hosting TV shows. Acting is not something she has ever shown comfort in. And with a film that completely lies on her shoulders, Shenaz fails miserably. 

But the real problem with Main Aur Mr Riight is not Shenaz. It is Adeeb Rais, the writer and director of the film. The quality of work, though may have been well intended, is amateurish at best if not shabby. 

Main Aur Mr Riight is about a perfectionist in waiting for the right man in her life. A casting director with an amazingly swanky office (Really?), Alia is someone who likes everything around her perfect. She has her list of attributes that the perfect match should fit into. Her friends are of course not quite happy about her singlehood and often talk about setting her up. Under peer pressure Alia finally makes a blunder - declares she has found the right guy. Next she hires one of the struggling actors to play her boyfriend for a few weeks. Equations in the gang of friends change with the entry of the new guy (Barun Sobti) who teaches them to be true to each other. And as per romantic comedy guidelines - Alia too falls for this unlikely match.

Adeeb has a decent plotline. But the screenplay is pedestrian and that translates into a complete lack of energy in the film. So slow is the film that even loopholes could go unnoticed... viewers could be put to sleep. I actually heard someone snore behind me! Not even Bappi Lahiri's '80s hit Yaar Bina Chain Kaha Re helped. The interludes - irritating audition clips of bad actors - that aim to speed up the story make no sense. 

The only respite in the films comes from debutant Barun Sobti. The actor, a well known TV name, is like a breeze of fresh air in the film. He is charming at oozes energy. He excels in his role as the loud spoken Delhi guy turned the posh London gentleman. Which makes the film even more tragic - this actor deserved a better launch!

In the meantime the rest of the actors - comprising the gang of friends - seem to be the director's own friendliest. Not sure why they were made to act otherwise. 

Main Aur Mr Riight is as faulty as the spelling of 'right' in the title of the film. And no amount of numerology is going to help. It is improbable that even Shenaz's newfound media-attention, thanks to a very well written and timely open letter on women safety in India, would help the film either. 

Give it a miss. Save your money. Or just go and watch Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge again as it completes 1000 weeks!

Edited by -aruni- - 9 years ago
YaGunnersYa. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
At least Barun got good reviews. ðŸ˜†
Aruni. thumbnail
^Yup. Only saving grace, they say. ðŸ˜ƒ
simim thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: OhSiyapaa.

At least Barun got good reviews.😆

Yaa in each and every review
BS.ILoveYou thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Hello Hi sabko.. 😎 I m reading reviews.. Barun is being praised in every review.. Feeling Proud.. 😎
lolly143 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

Did anyone here watch KN show yesterday ?

sorry I do not know the name of it...😕

sandiab thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
I am glad barun is getting such positive reviews now he just needs to do a movie with a better script