Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 3

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 3

sukh

IF-Rockerz

sukh

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 5:28pm | IP Logged
think first - The mother tongue- it has extra touch of comfort & sense of belonging while communicating..! We have great litreture in every language & to have the child a willingful access to them they have to love their mother tongue.

Global Language has to be learnt so that you don't face limitations anywhere.

National language gives you joy pride of being & interacting with citizens there..

After all human being is a social animal  &  more  the ways of communication you know better you enjoy life around you !   

i second to this.

first is mother language, then comes that other language.Embarrassed

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Question (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

AASHISH_IN

Goldie

AASHISH_IN

Posted: 23 June 2005 at 2:06am | IP Logged

1st Mother tongue (obiviously) then Marathi,hindi n then English!Smile

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 23 June 2005 at 7:00am | IP Logged
Originally posted by bluepink

bgdesai, how was your daughter's first day at school?

her first day was school was pretty good than we expected. She didn't cry or asked for momy or dady! Confused and her teacher said she was pretty content. My husband said she waived her good bye when he went to drop her and when I went to pick her up she was on playground and didn't wanted to come home, until I told her we will come here tomorrow and everyday and then she was happy!!!! Man I don't know how the heck would she have communicated with other kids...she does not know much of english, but we programmed her teaching some basic things like help me, hungry, wanna go pee.. etc   LOL thanks for asking bluepink.

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 23 June 2005 at 7:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by smisha

I agree with you BG. I did the same with mine..I speak to her only in
MT. She can't, she just switches over to English. My trip to India
helped her a bit again to pick up..people were so happy to hear her
speaking totally in an american accent...LOLLOL.
They would come and ask me..what she was saying. Until couple days
later when people started to understand her better. But they were happy
that she can speak the MT and also sing some bhajans....Smile

Hey Smish you are so right…… first we are nervous about their learning english when they first go outside but once they go to school its hard for them to stop talking in English and hard to make them talk in our native language. I guess there are prons and cons of everything, but as far as they turn out to be good human being that's what we all want. And good part is that most of our parents are able to talk and understand English unlike our grandparents. I remember when my grandma used to visit US years back it was hard for her to communicate with my cousins..only me and my brother were lucky enough to get advantage of her stories as we were in India.

usachick821

Goldie

usachick821

Posted: 23 June 2005 at 9:20am | IP Logged

well i'm a little different....

i was born in india...and lived in kerala for 3 years...so i learned malayalam, tamil, and some kannada,...then we moved to bombay where i learned hindi and english. Then we moved to america when i was five so i learned americanized english, then i was sent to boarding school in france, so i learned french. i later came back to miami and i met a lot of cuban friends, so i learned spanish that way. now i go to boarding school in Virginia, so i'm kind of learning southern slang english....wow..i've started to lose track....

Malayalam, tamil, kannada, hindi, english, french, american english, spanish and southern slang. And right now i'm taking (as a foreign language) greek and latin.

Now back to the original topic, i think that the primary language that a child should be taught first is the mother tongue, because many children talk mostly in the first language they speak, and this ensures the fact that they will remember their heritage and culture. (this didnt work with me though because i can understand malayalam but i cant respond in malayalam when someone is talking to me, thanks to the americanized version of english!)

second should be the national language, which is hindi, so the person can communicate with their own people, and next should be english, so that they can communicate with the entire world. Start small and end big!

and then any other language that the child wants to learn.

Edited by usachick821 - 23 June 2005 at 9:22am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top