Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

Safiyah

Safiyah

Posted: 12 June 2005 at 2:13am | IP Logged

I'd teach my kids English. My/Our mother tongue. I learnt hindi/Punjabi from my grandparents & also i stayed in India for 2 years. But I'd let my kids decide if they wanna learn hindi/punjabi or not. My parents dun speak hindi/punjabi....infact nobody speaks hindi/punjabi in our family so i dun think my kids wud b into hindi/punjabi much.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Question (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

anjali.nair

IF-Veteran Member

anjali.nair

Posted: 12 June 2005 at 3:56pm | IP Logged
I would talk to my kid in my mother tongue first. Since I am in US, my kid would learn English from her friends and going to pre-school and school. I would not insist her on talking to me in any particular language. If she prefers to talk to me in English I am fine. But I would want her to understand my mother tongue. When I take her to India I want my kid to at least understand what others are saying.Smile

RUPALV22

RUPALV22

Posted: 13 June 2005 at 9:15am | IP Logged

I think first - The mother tongue- it has extra touch of comfort & sense of belonging while communicating..! We have great litreture in every language & to have the child a willingful access to them they have to love their mother tongue.

Global Language has to be learnt so that you don't face limitations anywhere.

National language gives you joy pride of being & interacting with citizens there..

After all human being is a social animal  &  more  the ways of communication you know better you enjoy life around you !   

peacestead

Goldie

peacestead

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 12:58am | IP Logged
Indian Kids living outside of india must know and learn their mother tongue. I would 'nt get too stressed out about the writing and reading part but they must be able to understand and speak the language of the region they belong to, in the US many kids dont speak hindi at all but if you look at the hispanic and chinese kids they all can speak their respective languages fluently.Sometimes i have seen mothers take pride in the fact that here in the US their kids dont speak hindi  and speak only english . I think Kids need to have an equal balance between their own culture and the adopted one.We need to make sure that the kids adapt to the American ( in my case cos we live here) culture too while taking pride in their own heritage and roots and The values  of our culture should have a deep impact on their thinking as well.

cutelovelygirl

IF-Dazzler

cutelovelygirl

IF DYND 25 LACS WINNER

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 7:48am | IP Logged

Personally,  I feel that the best way to teach children any language is each of the member of the family speak in a different language so as to teach the child the basic language.. for eg: Mother can speak in Eng/Mother tounge, Father can speak hindi and Grand Parents can speak in mother toungue, the biggest advantage of this, is  the child can learn languages at a time

Like if U r stayin in india, in mumbai then 1. Firstly, the child shud be taught  atleasst some basic English and mother toungue, little hindi and marathi

Rest he can speak with his school-mates adn teachers for fluency

sowmyaa

IF-Dazzler

sowmyaa

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 7:55am | IP Logged
Ok I was born and brought up in India…. I came to US 9 years back and me and my husband are used to talking in Gujarati at home. Now when my daughter was born our Pediatrician told us to continue talking in our native language as they think that children tend to be more creative and development is better if they communicate in their native language in early days of their life. They encourage us not to use English. My daughter didn't understand English at all until now. She just turned 3 and she you will be amazed the way she has started speaking English. We don't talk in English at home at all… zero, none English. She picks it up from PBS kids, and neighbors. Now she will be starting her preschool (infact today is her first day) and her school counselor told us the same as our (2) Pediatrics told us…just keep on talking your language at home as that's the only way they will learn your language. For English, they will learn it in school. Before going to preschool she has starting making sentences in English already. Even her teachers say that we have tons of children who start their school with no English and kids at this age can learn as much language as you teach them. You won't believe but after seeing "Dora" she has started knowing Spanish words too…it's amazing the way they grasp at this age. I have seen my first cousins who were born and brought up in US and they don't speak Gujarati at home and even now when they are teen they don't talking Gujarati and don't understand anything. There is my one uncle though who did talking in Gujarati at their home and their kids are the only one that being American born can manage to speak Gujarati and understand it all.

Anyways, long story short, I would go speaking Gujarati at my home. I want them to be close to our culture and also adapt good qualities from other cultures.

anjali.nair

IF-Veteran Member

anjali.nair

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 4:38pm | IP Logged
bgdesai, how was your daughter's first day at school?

anitha.b

IF-Dazzler

anitha.b

Posted: 22 June 2005 at 5:13pm | IP Logged
I agree with you BG. I did the same with mine..I speak to her only in MT. She can't, she just switches over to English. My trip to India helped her a bit again to pick up..people were so happy to hear her speaking totally in an american accent...LOLLOL. They would come and ask me..what she was saying. Until couple days later when people started to understand her better. But they were happy that she can speak the MT and also sing some bhajans....Smile

Post Reply New Post

Go to top