Page 1 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

peaches

Goldie

peaches

Posted: 10 June 2005 at 9:41am | IP Logged

If you were a parent, what is the first language you will teach you child.

Which language do u think is more important for them to learn first?

For me first it would be English and then the cultural language.

The national language - Hindhi

The regional language - Depending on the state

The culture - Depending on what culture you are from

The global language - English

This is what happen with me.

I was born in USA.  The first language I leard was English, and then I moved back to India and becase I am Sindhi I learn Sindhi, then because my family resided in Madras I learnd Tamil, and because I went to school there I leard Hindhi.

Then when I moved back to the US, I had to learn Spanish.

Your thoughts please!

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Question" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

*Meg_d*

IF-Veteran Member

*Meg_d*

Posted: 10 June 2005 at 5:39pm | IP Logged
Well i grew up in England, my first words were also spoken here, i do speak fluent gujurati however mess it up all the time because sometimes i dont understand what word i am speaking, when i was young my dad made a rule in the house every person has to speak guju when they are at home however outside they can speak english, so i learnt both languages equally, however nowadays and especially  after i turned 15 three years ago  i have started to speak english at home to sometimes and i mess up my mother tongue.

The thing about my kids, well I think Mother Tongue is one of the most important thing a child learns, i agree we live in England and english is very important, and i will make sure i balance it out, but what i dont want him/er to forget  their culture their tradition, values, and religion,  even i dont know how to read or write gujurati but at least i can speak it and respect my olders. So my first priority will be to teach them gujurati, but i will also make sure that they have good english as a second language,  kids  that grow up in a foreign country such as England and America Automatically learn the accent anyways it comes very natural to them,  so for me its important to make myself in a  british way of lifestyle but i also have to respect and look after my culture and my religion and that is what i will teach my children how to balance both languages.

Edited by Megha_Desai - 10 June 2005 at 5:44pm

fingirl

fingirl

Posted: 10 June 2005 at 6:24pm | IP Logged
Agree with you Meghna..i would teach English and mother tongure equally..i was born in Africa but my parents taught me guju and english and i had to learn Swahili..now that i am in the US it is quite cool to know multiple languages.

ivan

ivan

Posted: 10 June 2005 at 7:27pm | IP Logged

i was born in fiji is . so i learned my mother tongue first i.e hindi and then when i started schooling i learnt english . i know about 10 or 15 fijians words .

now i am in canada n we speak hindi at home n english outside. i would teach my kids hindi first n then english n since we live in canada , i would make sure they learn french.

AnGeLeYeZz

Goldie

AnGeLeYeZz

Posted: 10 June 2005 at 7:51pm | IP Logged

I am born and raised in Toronto, Canada, so I only speak EnglishEmbarrassed...

AnGeLeYeZz

Goldie

AnGeLeYeZz

Posted: 10 June 2005 at 7:52pm | IP Logged
I am actually Guyanese, Hindu... so my elders do speak hindi.. but i have never learned the language thoroughly... i can understand quite a bit of the language.!Big smile

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

IF-Sizzlerz

~LiL*PrInCeZ~

--

Posted: 11 June 2005 at 2:25pm | IP Logged
i learneed both urdu n english @ da same tyme.like megha diz parentz mah parentz made sure i learn both languagez by makin sure v speak in urdu @ home n datz y 2daii i can speak both langz equally..............n datz wat u wud du wit mah kidz

sweetrani_neha

IF-Dazzler

sweetrani_neha

Posted: 11 June 2005 at 4:41pm | IP Logged

I was born in the US but my parents also equally stress our cultural language and English. My mom speaks Hindi fluently so she makes it a point to speak only in Hindi with me and won't let me speak anything else but Hindi and Gujarati with her (of course I slip up once in a whileEmbarrassed). My dad speaks Hindi and Gujarati, and though sometimes I find myself talking to him in English, most of the time I'll speak in Hindi or Gujarati just for myself because I know I'm exposed to English every where else but my home is the main connection I have with India. Thanks to my parents, I completely understand and speak Hindi & Gujarati (only mess up a few words here and there), and can even write in Hindi!

So, with my kids.... just like many of the others above, I would also  equally emphasize English and Hindi & Gujarati (since I'm fluent in both). If I were to raise my kids in US like my parents did, I know that English can be found outside the home but inside the home is where a child primarily learns about his/her culture and ethnicity. I guess basically, speaking on linguistic terms, I would raise my kids like my parents raised me.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top