OS - Baat Ek Raati Ki... Part 5 Page 109 Nov 24

Posted: 9 years ago

Hello and Good Morning Once again!! 

As Aarti has explained in her note, for many practical reasons I am opening this fresh thread to post Part 2 of the OS. For readers who want to catch up on the story, here is the link to Chapter One. 

Thank you so much for reading, liking and commenting. Means a lot to both of us. 

Suvika. 

Part Two: Scroll Down

Part Three:

Part Four:

Part Five (Final Part):

Edited by Suvika. - 9 years ago

Part Two

"Dr Ashutosh?.. Sir?"

The persistent calling from Dr Sharma finally made Ashutosh drag his eyes away from his equally gawking wife. Her face had turned pale, eyes widened in obvious shock and she was way too thin. He didn't like it. But he couldn't do anything about it at that moment. Everything had to wait. Including his starved senses. Taking a deep breath he turned to the senior doctor.

"Not a problem Dr Sharma. How can I help?"

Dr Sharma gestured to Nidhi, asking her to give out the details of the case. The grip of her fingers on the case sheet tightened until her nails turned from pink to white. But her voice was steady as she complied. "Jayram, age fifty five sir. A chronic alcoholic and a diabetic. He had a brain stroke two months back and was still in the recovery stage when the post stroke depression had set in." She didn't once look up from the sheet. "Dr Sharma has been treating him with anti-depressants and Dr Saleem, our Neurologist has been observing the progress. But now he has had his second stroke while under the treatment of the antidepressants." She rattled off the names of the drugs and dosage before passing on the sheet to Ashutosh, finally looking up at him, her thoughts completely hidden behind the wall of professionalism.

Ashutosh took the sheet, a part of him rejoicing and taking pride in the progress of her career and the choice of speciality. He went through the neat handwriting. "Are the blood thinners still on?"

"Yes," Dr Sharma took over after giving an approving nod to his prodigy. "Dr Saleem is currently assisting our neurosurgeon in the theatre so.."

Nidhi extended another sheet containing the neurologist's notes. "These are the meds sir. The antidepressants are on in parallel to the blood thinners."

Ashutosh nodded and examined the patient. "I want another MRI and CDT done. And we'll decide on the drugs after I see the reports. Any excessive cerebral thrombosis?" He directed his question to Nidhi.

"This is the last CDT report sir," saying that she extended the file. "We did find some. And Dr Saleem changed his meds after that."

Ashutosh nodded. "Get me the latest reports and we'll see what can be done. There are some latest drugs which might help but I don't want to start on them until I see the reports. The last thing we need is.."

"A heart stroke," Nidhi finished his sentence.

Ashutosh couldn't help but smile. "You have a great student here, Dr Sharma."

"Nidhi is one of our best," Dr Sharma declared proudly. Dr Ashutosh, the famous neurosurgeon of the country was praising his student after all.

"I can see that."

Ashutosh handed the chart and sheet back to Nidhi who received it and moved away to get started on the tests. He waited until the patient was wheeled away to the radiology department, wanting to talk to Nidhi. Ask her how she was doing, why she hadn't contacted him even once.. but soon he realized that Nidhi had followed the patient. He could do nothing but stand and watch as she went around the corner and disappeared from the view without once looking back. But at least he now knew where she was. Searching in a college where each class had nearly a hundred students was no easy task and he thanked God he wasn't put to that test. Now he just had to get her to talk. To listen. His Nidhi had a large heart. She would understand and forgive him. She would, wouldn't she?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b4zjT8wSQc

Nidhi forced herself to concentrate and complete her notes on the patient's reports before her classmate came and relieved her. She forwarded the notes and took leave from Dr Sharma and made her way to the hostel and her room. He was here?! When did he come? Why did he come? Her colleague had said he was conducting some guest lectures in the college for ten days. The first class had been yesterday. So her instincts hadn't been wrong when she felt his presence. He had been there. Did he know that she was studying here? Was that why he had come? Or was she being a fool in thinking that? Maybe it was all a weird coincidence? But why Mumbai? Why this college?

Do pal ruka khwabo ka karva 
Aur phir chal diye tum kaha ham kaha 
Do pal ki thi ye dilo ki dasta 

Nidhi slowed her steps until she stopped under a tree and leaned against its huge trunk. Her heart was thudding and she was panting. Because she had been almost running? Or because she saw him? Much as she wanted to act indifferent, she hadn't been able to do that. One look at him and all the suppressed feelings had resurfaced like they had never been away. Love, pain, anger, disillusionment, hurt. He had gone down. Now he looked almost lean. Even without closing her eyes, she could still remember how it had felt to trace his broad shoulders with her fingers and lips. His eyes looked weary and..sad. Why? And that beard. He had grown it back and now he looked like the same guy who had come to Kerala to meet her.

Tum the ke thi koyi ujli kiran 
Tum the ya koyi kali muskayi thi 
Tum the ya tha sapno ka tha sawan 
Tum the ke khushiyo ki ghata chhayi thi 
Tum the ke tha koyi phul khila 
Tum the ya mila tha mujhe naya jaha

Was there any problem with his friend? The last time she had seen him, he had been on a wheelchair, eyes shining with love and desire as he refused to let go of her even for a minute after returning from Anji's house. And in the blink of an eye all that had vanished. Love and desire had turned into loathing and disdain. Now there was no evidence that he had been in an accident. She had seen him walking towards the ward from a distance. His gait as agile and swift as ever. Of course, after 18 months it was a natural thing. Who had helped him with his physiotherapy? His friend? The questions that had never really left her all these months came back to haunt her again.

She hugged herself and started walking again slowly. What if he wanted to talk to her? Anji still kept insisting that running away was not the solution. That she should talk it out and decide. But what to talk? What do you tell the husband who professes undying love one minute and accuses her of unimaginable crime the next? And it hadn't been the first time, was it? Before that he had accused her of overdosing his friend too. Careless. Incompetent. Oh yeah, she remembered them all. No. The trust factor had never been there from his side. And love was no love without trust. Maybe she should talk. Tell him all this and get it out of her system. Maybe then both of them could move on. DB's words rang in her ears. You should think about divorce. Should she? She needed to think. She needed time to think.

Ashutosh entered the hotel room and banged the door shut almost viciously before throwing his coat on the bed and ripping out his tie. He collapsed on the nearby chair. Eyes closed, he pressed his fingers into his temples and then covered his face with his hands. His palms dug into his eye sockets, and he massaged as if warding off an impending headache.

Four days since he came to Mumbai. Three days since he first saw Nidhi. He was no more close to talking to her today than he had been on the first day. Hell, he had to see her to talk to her. She has mastered the art of evasion. She had handed over the case to her colleague and left. He hadn't seen her after that. And other than asking Dr Sharma outright about where his student was, there was nothing he could do. On the pretext of seeing the college premises, he tried looking for her in the psychiatry department and also in the library. In one of the classes he thought he had caught a glimpse of her but she had disappeared before he could do more than blink. Only six more days left. What to do!

"Nidhi.." his rough groan was painful to hear.

Tum the aa khushbu hawao me thi 
Tum the ya rang sari dishao me the 
Tum the ya roshni raho me thi 
Tum the ya geet gunje fizao me the 
Tum the mile ya mili thi manzile 
Tum the ke tha jadu bhara koyi sama

Anger took over him for a moment. Was he such a monster that she was avoiding him to this extent? He winced. Maybe he had been but he was her husband, dammit! Why can't she at least talk? He had been after Anji for fifteen months and he came here as fast as he could once he got the information out of her. Why can't she see that? Why can't she at least give him a chance to talk and apologize? He had promised baba and Anji that he would bring her back to Lucknow. In time for Diwali and Anji's engagement to Ranganath. No matter what he would keep that promise. He would talk to her. Tomorrow. No matter what he had to do to make it happen.

"Nidhi?"

Nidhi closed her eyes at the voice. He had found her. Not that she was surprised. And truth be told, she herself had stopped trying to hide. Being a coward wasn't her style. The one and only time she had been one had been when her baba had refused her love for Dr Ashutosh and she had sworn at that time that she would never be that person again. She got up from one of the benches that were scattered around the library under huge shady trees. So here they were. Facing each other once again. Like adversaries than husband and wife.

"How are you Nidhi?"

"I am fine. And you?"

He shrugged. "zinda hoon."

"Looks like you've got your mobility completely back." She gestured to his operated leg. He nodded and left it at that. He could not do anything as long as he was stuck in the wheelchair. That had been his main motivating factor. He pushed himself and the physiotherapist with ruthless determination.

"Aapke baba kaise hain?"

"Mere baba? Kya woh tumhaare baba nahi hain Nidhi?"

Nidhi shook her head sadly. "I thought so. But then..he didn't trust me either, did he? And I heard he always thought of your friend as his bahu."

Ashutosh frowned. His baba had said that? "When?"

"When DB had been at our house. He told her that and also told her to try and understand your friendship."

Ashutosh suddenly felt drained of all energy. He collapsed on the bench before his knees gave him away. Where to start his apology from? For how many things would he apologize? Nidhi didn't even know half of the story. "Had I known where you were I would've come sooner."

So the guest lectures had been a ruse. "Who told you where I was?"

"Anji. It took me fifteen months. And she only told me the name of the college and nothing else. I asked for your number." He shook his head. "She refused. It took me three months to arrange these lectures." He looked up at her and gestured her to sit beside him on the bench. After a moment of hesitation, she complied. "So you are into psychiatry. DPM or MD?"

"MD."

He nodded. He had never felt so awkward. He wanted to hug and kiss her in pride and joy. But he knew he had lost that right. Lost? He had thrown away that right. "Congratulations."

"Thank you." Silence reigned as neither knew how to pick up the conversation again. Finally,

"Nidhi.. I'm sorry Nidhi. I know it's probably too little too late but.."

"Kausi baat ki maafi maangrahe hain aap?"

"For not trusting you. For believing that you were capable of.." He couldn't even complete the sentence. "I knew you..knew the kind of person you were..yet in that moment.."

"Baat uss pal ki nahi thi Dr Ashutosh. Baat aapke zindagi mein meri jagah ki thi. Woh jagah jo shayad kabhi mera tha hi nahi." She hugged herself and rubbed her arms as if warding off a chill. "A few days before that incident we had another argument about the same topic. I had packed my bags and said I was going to leave. You remember?" He nodded. "Leaving is not an option that you have, you said." Her voice trembled before firming once again. "Stupid me, I thought it was so passionate and romantic. I didn't realize that leaving was not an option but kicking me out was always an option for you. I was nothing but a possession to you. Jab jee chaha roka aur jab jee chaha dhakke maarkar baahar nikaal diya." Her face was now red with anger. "You didn't even call to know if I had reached home or if I was safe!"

"Nidhi..I'm not here to make excuses. I know there are no excuses for what I did. I trusted the wrong person and punished you." He felt as if someone was scraping him raw from the inside with sharpnels at the thought of what his criminal act that night could have led to. The thought of Nidhi alone on the streets at night..anything could've happened. "I'm sorry Nidhi. I wish.." he shook his head. If wishes were wings, beggars could fly.

"You didn't even come to see me the next day, did you, Dr Ashutosh? You called. I guess you thought a call was all that was needed for me to come running back to you for more abuse of the same kind."

"I would have come myself. But the driver didn't come that day and as you know I wasn't in any position to drive. I came as soon as I was able but you had gone by then and no one would tell me anything. Calling you was the only option I had that day Nidhi. I thought..I thought you would understand." He winced even as he said that.

"Like you understood me?" His thoughts came out as her words. "And even when you called you never asked how I managed the previous night. Just asked if I had any intention of coming back." And she had replied NO in a teary but firm voice. They hadn't spoken after that. "Khair chodiye.. how is your friend doing now?"

"I don't know. After the truth came out, she seized to be my friend. I don't know where she is."

"Aapki barah saal ki dosti itni jaldi khatam hogayi? Aur woh bhi itni choti si baat par?" She knew she was being sarcastic but emotions that had been suppressed all these months were bubbling out of her like lava. Anji had told her that Mallika was no longer at his home or even in Lucknow but she didn't know the details of what had transpired to get that result.

"Choti si baat nahi thi Nidhi. And you know it." He took a deep breath and told her. Everything. Baba ka makaan, Sandeep Bagchi, Mallika's manipulations. "I don't know whom to hate. Mallika for her betrayal or myself for my stupidity and blind trust."

Nidhi gave a wry smile as she turned to look at him. "I had the same thought that night. Whom should I hate? You for your betrayal or myself for my love and blind trust."

His entire body jerked as the words lashed him with the force of a whip. But he didn't look away. He took the pain and absorbed it. He knew he deserved it. "How did I do that Nidhi? How did I misjudge so badly? There I was mouthing about you being irresponsible while all the time I was being played for a fool by her. How could I be so wrong?"

What answer could she give to that? She had known he treasured the few friends he had in his life. That had been the prime reason she had agreed to let Mallika stay at their house, never realizing that one act would slash her heart and leave it bleeding. She had no words so she remained silent.

"Can you forgive me Nidhi? Can you give me another chance?" She remained silent for so long that sweat rolled over the side of his face. What if she said no? What would he do? How would he go on? Hope had been the one thing that had sustained him all these barren months. And the fear that she would take that away squeezed and crushed his chest.

"I..I don't know Dr Ashutosh. We lost something precious that night and I'm..I don't think we can ever get it back." OK. Not a definite no. Before he could sigh in relief, she continued, "And it's not as if you lack anything in your life now, is it, Dr Ashutosh? You have your baba, your makaan.."

"But I don't have my life Nidhi. You are my life." She shook her head at those words. He continued, desperation edging into his tone. "You are. Nothing means anything anymore if you're not there to share it with. Punish me however you deem fit but come back to me Nidhi. Please."

She got up and started to pack up her books into her backpack. "Rishten banana aasaan hain Dr Ashutosh aur unhe todna usse bhi aasaan. Par unhe nibhaana.." She shook her head as she zipped her backpack and slung it over her shoulder. "Aap rishten nibhaana nahi jaante. Or maybe I was..am lacking in something." He got up swiftly at that. "I didn't even get a benefit of doubt, did I? You had declared me guilty until the proof fell into your hands accidentally. A quirk of fate." She tilted her head and bore him with her cynical mistrusting eyes. "What if you hadn't heard any of that? Would you be here today?"

"Yes." Although for the life of him he didn't know how he was still alive after seeing that kind of cynicism and mistrust radiating from her and knowing fully well that he was the reason behind it. "I would still be here. I didn't need proof to know that you had been innocent. I knew it here." He pointed to his heart. "I had just started walking that day and had planned to come to your house the next morning when all this happened."

"Please forgive me if I don't believe that."

She turned to walk away when his voice stopped her. "But why are you punishing Anji for my crimes Nidhi? She is out there crying because her best friend is not going to be there for her engagement. You know how much Ranganath and Anji struggled to get their parents to accept their relationship. And yet, she is not happy. Because you are not there to share her happiness."

The perceptible stiffening of her body was the only indication that she had heard him as he watched her walk away from him.

Anji looked at the caller id and hastily moved away from where her parents and Yog uncle were talking about the arrangements to be made for the engagement. "Haan Nidhi, bol."

"Kya bolu?"

Anji understood. "Mili?"

"Haan. He told me everything that happened. Long story. I'll tell later."

"Teek hain. You angry with me for telling him where you were?"

"No, not really. You were right. I had to face him sometime."

"I wanted to wait until I got your go ahead Nidhi. But the persistence of that man! God! On one side I had my parents and Ranganath's parents swinging between yes and no for the rishta. One say yes then the other finds a reason to say no. Finally everyone agreed right before my finals so I had to say no and ask everyone to wait. Amidst all this were calls from Dr Ashutosh. Anji, where is Nidhi? Anji please tell. Anji, I want to talk to Nidhi. Anji, how is Nidhi? At least tell me she is doing OK. It was exhausting. I guess I should be grateful that he backed off when I told him about my final exams. But I think he badgered Ranganath during that time. Yog uncle wouldn't even open the door for him."

Nidhi refused to feel guilty for him although she felt bad for what Anji had to put up with for her sake. "I'm sorry yaar. Really sorry you had to go through all that. You should've told me sooner."

"Hey, it's OK. You needed that time. But I seriously want you to be here for the engagement re. And the only reason you are thinking of skipping it is him." Anji had stopped calling him jeejaji after that night. Whenever the topic had come up, he was referred as him or Dr Ashutosh. "So when he asked, I gave him the name of the college and told him the he was the reason I don't have my best friend with me today."

"I'm coming Anji." Nidhi inserted before Anji could continue the tirade. He was right. She shouldn't punish Anji. Above all, her friend deserved all the joy and happiness in the world. And she needed a closure. So yes, she could go.

Anji whooped. "Sachchi? Tu aarahi hain? Kab?"

Ashutosh entered his house, dragging his carryon and his heart behind him and his coat and his despair slung over his shoulder. BB came to him in quick strides.

"Ashu tu aagaya.." His expectant eyes looked behind his son. "Where is Nidhi?" Ashutosh shook his head. "She didn't come? But you said.."

"She came to Lucknow but she is not going to come to this house baba. She is here for Anji's engagement and that's it."

"Arre, aise kaise? Didn't you talk to her and explain?"

"I did but she doesn't believe me anymore. Had it not been for the engagement I don't think she would've even come."

"Hua kya beta. Tell me properly na."

Ashutosh gave a tired smile as he sat and leaned his head against the sofa and closed his eyes. "We talked. I asked for a second chance. She said where there is no trust there can't be any relationship. Then I told her about Anji. I guess she spoke to Anji after that." Even his shrug was tired. "She called me up the next day and told that she would be coming. I told her I would book the tickets. She refused. We travelled in the same flight but I was booked in the business class and she was travelling economy. I wanted to upgrade her ticket. She refused. So I exchanged my ticket but couldn't get the seat beside hers. Strangers baba. That's what we have become. That's what I have turned us into."

"Where is she now?"

"She went to her baba's house." He paused as his throat clogged up and his vision turned blurry. "I can't do this anymore baba. I can't live without her anymore." He got up swiftly and went off into his room as if he didn't want his father to see him breakdown.

"Bua, Nidhi aayi hain kya waapas?" CV came out of his room buttoning up his shirt.

"Nahi," DB screeched back from the kitchen. "She went to shopping with Anji na. It will take time. They wanted to do everything in one shot."

"OK. I'm going to Solanki's house. The caterer is going to be there." He opened the door and came face to face with BB who had raised his hand to ring the bell. "Dr Mathur, aap?"

And that is the end of part two. Hope you all liked and enjoyed reading it. Will be awaiting your comments / criticisms.

Edited by Suvika. - 9 years ago
Me secondEdited by syedzoya - 9 years ago
Me on first page fell alseep me off
wonderful update suvika .I had a question in mind will ashni reunite in the end
Super storyline pls continue soon.
GM ! 
Idyllically composed  with soulful song make for an absorbing prelude to u Suvika, brimming with ur trademark style which adorns ur stories.  tempestuously fleshed out role of a disgruntled Nidhi with effortless ease in a rendition that is spontaneous and punchy. An iniquitous Ashu compliments Nidhi beautifully and manages to generate moments of heightened tension without the crutch of melodrama , one that has the tendency to absorb the reader into a tranquil fantasy of scintillating emotions.
The emotions that emanate from their convos reflects the brilliant chemistry they have with one another and brings in commendable intensity in each scene. It surely gives its readers goosebumps, keeping them hooked from the first scene of the update to the very last. It is a thought provoking story that stirs a gamut of emotions, often leaving you with a lump in your throat. 

Nidhi n Anji share a deep bond of love and understanding n have always supported each other's decision without an iota of doubt. undoubtedly a treasured relationship filled with love, admiration, respect and immense trust in one another.

Nidhi's characterisation is superlative!! Despite everything she was concerned about Ashu's well being, notices the changes in him n even ponders over the reasons behind it. She even thinks abt the house as ' our house' ( or was I reading too much in b/w lines!!).indeed a women's heart is a deep ocean of love.

Ashus thots r debatable, but I loved the fact that he did not give up. It is very easy to break free; the challenge is to hold on. In today's fast paced life none of us have the time or the patience to work towards building our relationships. We all look for an easy way out, but there aren't any. One has to work towards strengthening ones relationship with love, respect, understanding and above all adjustments. When things don't go our way, it is important to take a step back and analyse our actions. Thou a bit late but atleast he realised his wrong doing n also wanted to ameliorate it n harmonise his relationship with his wife. The only thing I fail to understand is y do we always need a testament ...Ashu says he knew it in his heart that Nidhi was not capable of doing a ghoulish act but then y did he let her out of the house , even if it was impromptu!! 
Waiting to c how u unfold the story!!
Edited by deepaligupta197 - 9 years ago
Originally posted by deepaligupta197

GM ! 
Idyllically composed  with soulful song make for an absorbing prelude to u Suvika, brimming with ur trademark style which adorns ur stories.  tempestuously fleshed out role of a disgruntled Nidhi with effortless ease in a rendition that is spontaneous and punchy. An iniquitous Ashu compliments Nidhi beautifully and manages to generate moments of heightened tension without the crutch of melodrama , one that has the tendency to absorb the reader into a tranquil fantasy of scintillating emotions.
The emotions that emanate from their convos reflects the brilliant chemistry they have with one another and brings in commendable intensity in each scene. It surely gives its readers goosebumps, keeping them hooked from the first scene of the update to the very last. It is a thought provoking story that stirs a gamut of emotions, often leaving you with a lump in your throat. 

Nidhi n Anji share a deep bond of love and understanding n have always supported each other's decision without an iota of doubt. undoubtedly a treasured relationship filled with love, admiration, respect and immense trust in one another.

Nidhi's characterisation is superlative!! Despite everything she was concerned about Ashu's well being, notices the changes in him n even ponders over the reasons behind it. She even thinks abt the house as ' our house' ( or was I reading too much in b/w lines!!).indeed a women's heart is a deep ocean of love.

Ashus thots r debatable, but I loved the fact that he did not give up. It is very easy to break free; the challenge is to hold on. In today's fast paced life none of us have the time or the patience to work towards building our relationships. We all look for an easy way out, but there aren't any. One has to work towards strengthening ones relationship with love, respect, understanding and above all adjustments. When things don't go our way, it is important to take a step back and analyse our actions. Thou a bit late but atleast he realised his wrong doing n also wanted to ameliorate it n harmonise his relationship with his wife. The only thing I fail to understand is y do we always need a testament ...Ashu says he knew it in his heart that Nidhi was not capable of doing a ghoulish act but then y did he let her out of the house , even if it was impromptu!! 
Waiting to c how u unfold the story!!

Deepali my sincere suggestion to you."Write something OS ,FF" You write so well.๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Originally posted by rajanigandha26

Deepali my sincere suggestion to you."Write something OS ,FF" You write so well.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thank u so much Rajani. These thots hv been truly inspired from this superlative story๐Ÿ˜ณ