Arhi FF - Pocket Change - Chapter 13- 26 January

Vibranthues thumbnail
Engager 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

Hey, so this is my first attempt at writing. Please do give it a shot. 

Arnav Singh Raizada wasn't a frilly person. 

He was a grown, calculating 26 year old businessman who thought from his mind rather than his heart. Unlike before. The heart was stupid, fragile and breakable. 

And yet, he couldn't stop that red body of muscle from fluttering as he read the pages from the book hidden behind his file. 

Honest Lies, the cover proudly announced. 

He couldn't let Anjali or Akash catch him reading a romance novel. 

Ahalya looked at her husband of two years. Now, he was a cold entrepreneur who had married her for revenge because he thought she was having an affair with his sister's husband Karan. She loved Rehan and he didn't and that hurt more than ever, tonight, as she watched him sleeping, so close and yet so distant. 

She soothed herself the only way she knew how, by drinking in the calming memories of better times and letting the waves of nostalgia hit her. 

Ahalya felt strange in the yellow and blue cotton summer dress she was wearing. She had just begun filling out in all the right places - her legs getting a defined curve rather that the gangly limbs she had just a few months ago and the soft material of the dress clung to her chest. Her stringy hair had grown out into a beautiful mane which she had cut into bangs, the hair falling into her eyes. 

They were in the treehouse; Ahalya, her sister Tarini, Arjun, Rhea, Karan. And there was Rehan, climbing the branches just below them, his face stormy.

"Why was that despicable, churlish bozo Prem holding your hand?" 

For a fourteen year old, Rehan had a wide and imaginative vocabulary. Rhea, Tarini buried her face in her elbow to stifle her laugh, while the others laughed silently. Their fights were a regular occurrence. 

Rhea began, "Stop it Rehan. Ahalya can talk to other boys besides you. 

Arjun piped in cheekily, "Yeah dude, face it, Ahalya's getting hot. Boys are going to be after her soon."

Both Rehan and Ahalya turned the same shade of red - she with embarrassment, and him with boiling rage. 

Rehan wanted to say that Ahalya was only his, that he was the only boy who would have her and that no other boy could even think of touching her. But he was a teenager now and his male ego did not permit him to do so. 

So instead, he bit out rather cruelly, "Really? With that squished face and greasy hair? I don't think so. Besides, seniors don't like lowly 12 year olds." He let out a harsh laugh, immediately regretting his words as he saw Ahalya's large hazel eyes fill with tears. 

"I'm 13 in a month." She said quietly, before brushing past him to begin her descend down the tree.

Rehan felt like a jerk. He blocked her way, before holding her hand which was sticky with cotton candy. "Ahals, I'm sorry."

She tried to look mad as him, but he gave her his best goofy lopsided grin. She reached up to touch the scar just under his eye, smiling at him. 

"It's okay.

Ahalya turned to her diary, writing the words she knew he would never believe. 

The heart wants what it wants. 
Open me carefully. 
The cupboard is longing
To be filled with your clothes. 

Arnav touched his own scar, which was right under his eye, heart squeezing. He hated her. He hated Khushi Kumari Gupta. 

"Chote?" A soft knock broke the angst, the burning reverie. Anjali Raizada Jha walked in, a wary look on her face. 

"Hi, Di." 

"I just got a call from Akash. She's coming for the wedding." 

Arnav stopped breathing, as his pulse raced, mind swimming. 

Khushi Kumari Gupta, renowned romance novel author and his ex-wife was returning. 

The woman who had broken his heart three years ago was back. 

INDEX

Chapter 1- Above
Chapter 2- Below 
Chapter 3 - Pg 3 
Chapter 4 - Pg 5 
Chapter 5- Pg 7 
Chapter 6 - Pg 9 
Chapter 7- Pg 13
Chapter 8- Pg 20 
Chapter 9- Pg 23 
Chapter 10- Pg 29 
Chapter 11 - Pg 36 
Chapter 12 - Pg 40 
Chapter 13 - Pg 52

Please, please leave your thoughts if you think I should continue. 

My One Shots - 

Edited by Vibranthues - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

hotchic thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Really Interesting! Looking forward to it :D
KrishVeer thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5
Prologue is quite captivating!

Eagerly waiting to know what you have in mindπŸ˜ƒ

Update soonπŸ˜‰
Edited by V3Od - 9 years ago
Vibranthues thumbnail
Engager 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail + 3

Chapter 2

Arnav's hands shook as he turned the pages of the much-abused copy of Honest Lies frantically.

Tomorrow. She was returning tomorrow. He was reading the second one, while the third and last one was scheduled to be released next week. She was coming to Delhi not only for the wedding, but also to promote her last book in the series.

He didn't know why, but he expected the book to hold the answers she had never bothered to give him. The silence was cruel - it hurt him more than anything else that she could have told him.

I don't love you anymore.

I found someone else.

But no. She'd left him with silence and raging questions and a myriad of what ifs and could bes.

All that he got was a rumpled note under the bedside lamp when he woke up.

We can't be together. Don't come after me.

He didn't even recognize it as her elegant calligraphy. It was a hurried scrawl, almost as if she were shaking while writing it.

The silence that caused him to toss and turn in bed - thinking and overthinking, finally falling asleep only to wake up cold and alone, with her warmth on his fingertips, the feel of her soft locks on his chest, her lilting voice gently waking him up. Her memories were sudden and unexpected, never his intention, a burst of sun in his dreary days. He'd wait for the pain to ebb away, wait for it to calm, wait for the missing pieces of his heart to slot into place. But they were stubborn and didn't fit, the jaded pieces hurting the edges more, throat tightening, and voice fracturing as a noise he didn't recognize escape his throat.

He was so confused, so, so tired, the urge to drift away like sailboats in the sunshine wholly overwhelming, the hot burning behind his lids a regularity.

Running his hand through his hair, he began reading once more.

When Ahalya was 12, she was invited for her first sleepover to Diya Mangaldas's house. She was excited; her wide doe-like eyes taking in the various shades of nail paint that stood in perfect rows on the dressing tables, the hair curlers and other make up products. It was quickly squashed when Diya and her sycophants began making fun of her tomboy braid, glasses and braces, which really couldn't be helped.

By 11 pm she had had enough and decided to go home. Her mother had gone to her relative's house while her father was away on a business trip. So she called Rehan, who showed up within 15 minutes, his livid eyes darkening with anger, reminding Ahalya of Nutmeg and coffee liqueur. 14 year old Rehan had grown into his eyes, the cold, aloof attitude, the tall stature, muscled arms and being on the football team cemented his heart-throb reputation. So when he took Ahalya's stayover bag, and tucked her protectively under his arm while shooting the other girls death glares, it was a huge deal.

Diya and her friends never made fun of Ahalya again (at least not to her face), while Rehan took to his house where his Nani made them hot chocolate, which they ate with marshmallows, laughing at Rehan's baby pictures Nani cheekily provided, Ahalya's painful incident soon forgotten.

Arnav remembered the incident vividly, flipping the book shut. Khushi's nose had turned red from sobbing so hard, and Arnav had made a joke about her resembling Rudolph. He should sue her for using their memories and displaying it for the entire world to see, he mused. He had to admit, the writing was good. The smooth transitions from Ahalya's present, despairing life with a ruthless husband who was also her best friend and slipping into happier times made her current situation even sadder. He wondered where she got the idea of a cheating brother in law. Anjali and Shyam were the closest he'd ever known to a couple who were still blissfully and madly in love with each other after 5 years of marriage.

Her Honest Lies' series depicted her unpretentious talent though. She never quite let the readers veer too close to her personal pain, wrapping her prose in protective gauze that only hinted at heartache and loneliness. He loved the little poetic entries in Ahalya's diary, and it made him wonder whether Khushi too was lonely like him. But in the childhood incidents, she laid herself bare. Reading small snatches of memories they'd lived together was like watching her taking a scalpel to her heart and peel it back, declaring Here is my weakness...it is yours to explore and exploit.

This was around the part where he got angry and flung the book away. If she didn't need him, why was she writing about them? She'd not tried to contact him, not once in three years. Then why was she doing this?

I fell for an archangel with a devil's mane,

I would soar forever in his arms seeking paradise,

But he is of the sky and stars -

And I am earthbound.

He snorted. The truth would overturn Ahalya's assumptions. 

Edited by Vibranthues - 9 years ago
incarnadine thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This is very intriguing and interesting; and I'm really curious to read more. Do continue, please :)

Edited:

Just read chapter 2. I really love the way you've written Ahalya's (read Khushi's) thoughts in those wonderful pieces of prose. They had a great childhood as best friends, seemed to be happy during the duration of their marriage (or maybe not!) but what caused them to separate? Looking forward to the next chapter! :)Edited by DivyaS. - 9 years ago
hotchic thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Nice Chapter. I'm wondering what made Khushi separate herself from Arnav.
πŸ˜ƒ
honey-sweety thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
That was interesting story and loved the story so far...

Looks like Kushi had a strong reason to leave Arnav (may be Shyam πŸ˜†) and she dont want to break his heart by revealing about the truth or what ever she is going through...

Poor Boy, Arnav also in pain and he is still with kushi's memories...
Petrichorlove thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Parts of your story made it sound a bit like the film Music and Lyrics - where Drew Barrymore is pilloried as the psychotic stlaker girlfriend by an ex who writes a thinly-veiled book about her. 

Both Arnav and Khushi seem to be alone. I think that 4 line poetry is something I can get used...or addicted to. So Khushi hasn't forgotten the importance of Arnav. 

She's earthbound and he belongs to the skies huh? Now I'm thinking of some dramatic threat to his life if Khushi didn't leave him. I do so love the idea of pining Arnav, her memories linger through every action of his and haunt him. Sadist est mon nom! 

"When dreaming with a broken heart, waking up is the hardest part." - Not so fond of JM, but that man can sing. 

I'll be waiting, thirstily :) 
Edited by Petrichorlove - 9 years ago
cuteyraizada84 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Its really interesting 
Would love to read more
Aisha1996 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Awesome start πŸ‘πŸ‘
Loved it πŸ˜›