Can parents and children be friends?

Posted: 9 years ago

Yes, my question... and your opinions? Yes? No? Dont know?

Why? Why not? Why dont you know?

What else can be more sacred than parent-child relationship that they cannot be your "best friends for life"? Is it purely because of that 'sacredness', they cannot entirely be friends? But isnt it love that defines any friendship?  

Yes there are some things one may not be able to share with parents, but there are similarly some other things one cannot share with ANYONE.

Shouldnt parents be given more time, than so-called 'friends', who come and go in life? Not dismissing 'friendships' entirely.. Why do children not 'hangout' with parents instead of their 'friends'... make the bonding deeper with parents?? But the distance only seems to widen between child-parent these days... anyways -

Your comments 😃 thankyou.
Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 9 years ago

With kids maturing faster these days, yes parents and kids can become pals. Generally it is the Dad and son or the Mum and daughter.

Dads dote on daughters though and mums on the son generally.
My friends say their mums are their best friends and I don't see how. Personally, eight out of ten times, I am honest and open with my mother. But those two times I am not seem critical to a healthy relationship with her. So, it probably depends on how much openness the parents encourage and how much their children respond to it. Everyone cannot be buddies with their parents, though.

Yes parents & children can be friends, but I believe there's always a generation gap that sometimes or lets say few times stops kids & parents from sharing some stuff. 

Don't get me wrong & no offence meant but our Indian culture is also somewhere a tiny bit of a reason that there're somethings that both parents & kids wont be comfortable to talk to eachother about, no matter how close they are to eachother.  

The society on the other hand has this set code of conduct for both parents & kids if you look at the families from small towns or villages. 

The age/time also plays a big part, because its in the hands of parents about when to start being their kid's friend, but at the same time, they have to act like parents in certain situations. 

There're things like these that people as family have to over-come & try & understand what is it exactly they want, because at the end of the day it's your family who's gonna be by your side & not the society or anyone else. 

Edited by Bubblie1490 - 9 years ago
parents  and children can definitely be  friends...but not at all stages of life...i think when the children are small ...parents are like their teachers/mentors ...but as they grow the children feel that their parents are knowing nothing...but as they mature they understand that its parents who are theirs friends for lifetime ..and no one can match them 

It completely depends on the parenting style.

I think it is absolutely possible for parents and kids to be friends. There are many people who see their mom or dad as their best friend. I think becoming a friend to kids can be a very useful parenting technique. It opens up the relationship, creating more honesty and dialogue.

However, I think a certain line always needs to be there. Parents have the great responsibility of raising a good child that friends don't have. So they don't have the leeway to behave exactly like other friends would.

For me : Different ages, different views about my parents...can't say friends...but yes very friendly principled guide.... ðŸ˜Š
Not always.

There are somethings which cannot be spoken to parents-either out of fear or respect. Personally i'd pick sex and boyfriends. I can discuss that with friends not with parents.

The relationship is subjective but there is always a generation gap and a diffrrent approach.
Shouldnt we make an effort to bridge the generation gap? Ofcourse, both should.. i.e. both parents and children must make an effort.
Yes Parients and childrens can be friends if they both understand each other well and were emotionally attached to each other .