Eid ul Adha - Commemoration of Great Sacrifice

Posted: 9 years ago

(May Peace, Mercy and Blessings of Allah be on all of you)

What is Eid ul Adha?

Eid means "festivity" or "celebration" and "zuha" is derived from "uzhaiyya" which means "sacrifice" so the meanings of  Eid al-Adha /'Id al-'Adha is the  Feast of Sacrifice.  Eid ul Adha is the second biggest Muslim festival which is celebrated after completion of Hajj on 10th Zul Hijjah (the last month of Islamic Calendar). Hajj is the 5th Pillar of Islam and is obligatory for every Muslim who has enough money to afford it (in case of woman a mehram i.e. father, brother, husband son or other relative mentioned in Quran).

Base of Eid ul Adha

It may be found in Quran 2:196 and many Ahadith (sayings of our Beloved Prophet Mohammad peace be upon Him).
It is mentioned in Quran as follows:-

And complete the Hajj and 'umrah for Allah . But if you are prevented, then [offer] what can be obtained with ease of sacrificial animals. And do not shave your heads until the sacrificial animal has reached its place of slaughter. (Quran 2:196)

*Sunnahs of Eid-ul-Adha

1.    Offering 2 rakat Salah of Eid
2.    Sacrifice the animal on the name of Allah.

Narrated by Al-Bara' (May Allah be pleased with him): I heard the Prophet (Peace be Upon Him) delivering a Khutba (sermon) saying, "The first thing to be done on this day (first day of 'Id ul Adha) is to pray; and after returning from the prayer we slaughter our sacrifices (in the name of Allah) and whoever does so, he acted according to our Sunnah (traditions)."
(Bukhari, Volume 2, Book 15, Number 71)

* Sunnah is act of our beloved Prophet Mohammad Peace be upon Him)

Reason of Celebrating Eid ul Adha

The celebration of Eid ul Adha  commemorates the willingness of Prophet Ibrahim Peace be upon Him to sacrifice his son Ishmael as an act of obedience to Allah - and Allah's mercy in putting a lamb in Ismael (Peace be upon Him)'s place at the last moment. The purpose of sacrificing is narrated as follows in Quran in Surah Hajj verse 37

Their meat will not reach Allah, nor will their blood, but what reaches Him is piety from you. Thus have We subjected them to you that you may glorify Allah for that [to] which He has guided you; and give good tidings to the doers of good.

The purpose of sacrifice and celebration of this festival is again to become righteous, the same purpose as Ramadan's fasts. This eid prepare us to sacrifice everything for the sake of Allah we have at the time of need if required as Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) did.  
The most difficult tasks which are hard for any other human being to fulfill were performed by Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him). Allah informs us in Quran 9:124

And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham was tried by his Lord with commands and he fulfilled them. [ Allah ] said, "Indeed, I will make you a leader for the people." [Abraham] said, "And of my descendants?" [ Allah ] said, "My covenant does not include the wrongdoers."

What tasks of obedience Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) fulfilled?

Standing against Father and His whole Nation and Leaving them

Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him)'s father was a statue maker and his nation was idol worshipper but Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him stood against them, in the words of Quran, Surah An'am verse 79 he said

Indeed, I have turned my face toward He who created the heavens and the earth, inclining toward truth, and I am not of those who associate others with Allah."

Believing only on ONE ALLAH and not hundreds and thousands of idols was a sin at that time.  Prophet Ibrahim Peace be Upon Him had to leave his father, his house, his nation and everything just for saying that he believes in one Allah and no one else.

Trial of Fire

His nation turned against him and the King of that time Nimrod ordered to burn him alive in the fire but no one was able to harm Him. Allah has protected Him by giving an order to fire as mentioned in Quran (Surah Anbiya verse 69)

"We said, "O Fire! be thou cool, and (a means of) safety for Abraham!"

Leaving Son and Wife in Desert of Makkah

When Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) got a son (Prophet Ismail / Ishmael Peace be Upon Him) after marriage; He was ordered to leave his wife Hajra (May Allah be pleased with her) and his son in Mecca which was in the form of a desert at that time. Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) trusted fully on Allah and left both of them there and prayed to Allah:-

Our Lord, I have settled some of my descendants in an uncultivated valley near Your sacred House, our Lord, that they may establish prayer. So make hearts among the people incline toward them and provide for them from the fruits that they might be grateful. (Surah Ibraheem verse 37)

The desert was with no water. Hajra (May Allah be pleased with her) ran up and down between the two hills named Al-Safa and Al-Marwah seven times, in her desperate quest for water. Exhausted, she finally collapsed beside her baby Ismail (Peace be Upon Him) and prayed to Allah for deliverance. Miraculously, a spring of water gushed forth from the earth at the feet of baby Ismail (Peace be Upon Him). This water is called ZamZam.

Sacrificing His Son - The Major Trial

When the son of Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him), Ismail (Peace be Upon Him) grown up; He was ordered to sacrifice his son for the sake of Allah in a dream. They both realized that this was an order from Allah and not JUST a DREAM. Ismail (Peace be Upon Him) said without hesitation: "Do what you are commanded, you shall find me very patient insha' Allah (if Allah wills)."

And when he reached with him [the age of] exertion, he said, "O my son, indeed I have seen in a dream that I [must] sacrifice you, so see what you think." He said, "O my father, do as you are commanded. You will find me, if Allah wills, of the steadfast." (Surah Saffat verse 102)

When Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) was about to sacrifice His son Ismail (Peace be Upon Him), He got replaced by a ram by the grace of Allah.

And when they had both submitted and he put him down upon his forehead, We called to him, "O Abraham, You have fulfilled the vision." Indeed, We thus reward the doers of good.
(Surah Saffat verses 103-105)

Blessings and Rewards of Fulfilling Trial

Allah made Him blessed in both worlds, here are detail of some rewards

Construction of Bait Ullah (Khana Kaba / House of Allah)

Allah has granted the Honor to Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) of constructing Bait-Ullah (House of Allah / Khana Kabah) for being successful in the ever biggest trial of sacrificing his son and when Bait-Ullah (House of Allah / Khana Kabah)'s construction got completed he was given an order to proclaim Hajj amongst the people.

"And proclaim the Pilgrimage among men: they will come to thee on foot and (mounted) on every kind of camel lean on account of journeys through deep and distant mountain highways;
(Surah Hajj verse 27).

Prophethood and 2 More Sons

He was granted with two more sons and prophethood got fixed only with his descendants and after that all Prophets came only from his descendants.

And We gave to Him Isaac and Jacob and placed in his descendants prophethood and scripture. And We gave him his reward in this world, and indeed, he is in the Hereafter among the righteous.
(Surah Ankabut verse 27)

Prophet Mohammad Peace be Upon Him and Muslim Ummah (Nation)

Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) prayed to Allah for a Muslim Ummah / Nation and a Prophet amongst them who shall rehearse Thy Signs to them and instruct them in scripture and wisdom, and sanctify them.

"Our Lord! make of us Muslims, bowing to Thy (Will), and of our progeny a people Muslim, bowing to Thy (will); and show us our place for the celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the Oft-Returning, Most Merciful. "Our Lord! send amongst them an Apostle of their own, who shall rehearse Thy Signs to them and instruct them in scripture and wisdom, and sanctify them: For Thou art the Exalted in Might, the Wise." (Surah Baqrah verses 128-129)

Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him)'s prayers were answered as mention in Quran 2:151 with the same words as He prayed. Allah sent Prophet Mohammed (Peace be upon Him) and His Ummah for fulfilling Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him)'s prayers.

*      Muslims do Hajj as Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) proclaimed by Allah's order.

*      When Muslims go for hajj they run between Al-Safa and Al-Marwah (the two mountains) where Hajrah (May Allah be pleased with her) ran for the water as this is an important part of Hajj and Umrah.

*      Muslims offer 2 rakat nafal (salah / prayer) on the place called Muqam e Ibrahimi (the place of Ibrahim Peace be Upon Him) where He stood for constructing Bait-Ullah (House of Allah / Khana Kabah) .

*      Muslim Pilgrims drink ZamZam water there and bring it back with them which is cure for many diseases as well.

*      We all Muslims offer our prayers 5 times a day and remember Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) while recite Darud (send blessings) on Prophet Mohammad (Peace be Upon Him).

We celebrate Eid ul Adha in the remembrance of the sacrifice of Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him).

May Allah's blessings be upon Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be Upon Him) who proved to be a true Lover and obedient to Allah on each step without bothering difficulties. He proved his LOVE for his LORD ALLAH and is knows as Kahlil Ullah (Allah's Friend) in Muslims.

Eid Mubarak to all who are celebrating. May Allah help us and guide us throughout the life without trials because we are not strong enough to pass through such trials as Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be upon Him). May Allah bless all of you with the special guidance and comforts in this life and life after death. Remember me and my family in ur prayers. Lots of best wishes and prayers.  

Edited by hukshila - 9 years ago
some informational posts, if any one is interested to read

Unique Spiritual Festival Eid-ul-Fitr

Destiny's Night Laylat ul Qadr

Welcome Blessed Month of Ramadan

CANCER-Fighting Spice Reduces Tumors by 81%-EDITED

Historical Facts about Lupercalia (Valentine day)

Some Similarities between Islam and Sikhism

Miracles: Travel of Isra (Night Journey) and Miraj (Ascension)

PS: Post credit to all readers.
PSS: You all are most welcome to share, no obligation.0-
PSSS: Thank you for reading above post, if you want to keep on reading my occasional posts, please add me in your buddy list.

Regards Kiran

(adding my name here, many people tell me while sending message they don't know my name 😊)

Edited by hukshila - 9 years ago
Wishing each other on Eid, strengthens the bond of love and brotherhood and hugging reflects forgiveness.
A very blessed Eid ul Adha to all of you!

😳 Edited by PayaDesire95 - 9 years ago

Edited by PayaDesire95 - 9 years ago
Beautiful Post
Eid Mubarak to all
A very beautiful post.
And happy Eid-ul-adha to everyone.
Thanks for this thread dear.
Beautiful post!