Debate Mansion

Talking about people’s weight/appearance (Page 6)

Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 8

Page 1 Page 5
Page   of 8
Page 7 Page 8

rakni

rakni

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 7:54am | IP Logged
It's not the actors and actresses only, talking about anyone's looks is a low-blow, because it proves that the person is incapable of seeing past what is superficial. It is very sad that these days so much importance is given to sickly skinny bodies in Hollywood, and now Bollywood unfortunately, but if you think about it, who sets these standards of good looks? It is as ridiculous as the will to try to be thin by giving up all that is precious to one. People do not remember that beauty is a "relative" concept that differs from culture to culture. What is considered beautiful in one culture may very well be considered not so in another. So, what does that prove? It has no logic whatsoever. In that case why judge someone by it? It is true that some people just look awesome, but is it just the looks or is it the personality that grabs our attention? No matter what we should focus on the behaviour, the talent, the way this person communicates, because at the end of the day, it is how you communicate is what you are. I think talking about people's looks is just shallow and totally unacceptable in a forum discussion and that is applicable not only for actors and actresses, but also for any human being with any amount of dignity.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Talking about people’s weight/appearance (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

jprasad

IF-Rockerz

jprasad

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 8:58am | IP Logged
Ok, so I agree that actors/actresses are in the limelight and they are under direct scrutiny by everyone. However, to talk about it on India-Forums is not ok, because I feel that members saying how ugly or fat someone is has a direct impact on a 12 year old. The effects can possibly be quite damaging.

anjali.nair

IF-Veteran Member

anjali.nair

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 9:25am | IP Logged

Jo!! Good topic and much needed as on IF these days many sections are buzzing with such threads. I have a friend who told her 6 year old daughter how bad it is to have a tanned skin. She would freak if her daughter steps out in the sun. One day that kid teased another kid for darker skin. I have seen this very common in India to talk about weight and color. I agree that celebrities are in public eye all the time so they should be ready for criticism as well. But where do we draw the line? There are better way to put our views instead of hurling insults. 

Originally posted by wildblossom

They say you only insult another person because it makes you feel good...I mean what can you get out of insulting someone for their appearance? Does it make you feel good because you dont have that particular 'bad' trait?
ClapClap

Edited by anjali.nair - 29 September 2006 at 9:26am

jprasad

IF-Rockerz

jprasad

I-F Crazy Creatives

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 9:30am | IP Logged
Originally posted by anjali.nair

Jo!! Good topic and much needed as on IF these days many sections are buzzing with such threads. I have a friend who told her 6 year old daughter how bad it is to have a tanned skin. She would freak if her daughter steps out in the sun. One day that kid teased another kid for darker skin. I have seen this very common in India to talk about weight and color. I agree that celebrities are in public eye all the time so they should be ready for criticism as well. But where do we draw the line? There are better way to put our views instead of hurling insults. 

Originally posted by wildblossom

They say you only insult another person because it makes you feel good...I mean what can you get out of insulting someone for their appearance? Does it make you feel good because you dont have that particular 'bad' trait?
ClapClap

Totally see that, Anjali.  I have a girlfriend who won't go out in the sun cuz she is afraid to get darker.  Her son one day called me a blacky and all though she told her son to apologize, my response was well it is not his fault that his upbringing is flawed.  Kids learn what they are taught. 

Leenasmg

IF-Sizzlerz

Leenasmg

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 9:34am | IP Logged
Woahhhhhh....KOOL TOPIC...but moving on, i guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it's quite human like to talk discuss other people's appearance...but to be honest how a person looks isn't everything, and i think people nowadays should look beyond to ones apperance...
Totally agree that looks sell BUT...looks are NOT the only things that sell...even in films and on TV!

bluffmaster1

bluffmaster1

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 5:40pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by Leenasmg

Woahhhhhh....KOOL TOPIC...but moving on, i guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it's quite human like to talk discuss other people's appearance...but to be honest how a person looks isn't everything, and i think people nowadays should look beyond to ones apperance...
Totally agree that looks sell BUT...looks are NOT the only things that sell...even in films and on TV!

well i agree wid u.. ur 100% rite ;)

bigmouth

IF-Dazzler

bigmouth

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 5:59pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by bluffmaster1

Originally posted by Leenasmg

well i agree wid u.. ur 100% rite ;)

you spoke my mind dearTongue 

Celina7

IF-Rockerz

Celina7

Posted: 29 September 2006 at 7:16pm | IP Logged
well ur not ugly if ur fat... 1st of all.. n i dont think u shud call sum1 ugly cuz dat hurtz pplz feelingz u kno..n datz not rite...n i agree wit leenasmg... lookz iznt da only thing dat sellz... Clap

Post Reply New Post

Go to top