Debate Mansion

Talking about people’s weight/appearance (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 8

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 8
Page 4 Page 8

smartncute

Goldie

smartncute

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 2:44am | IP Logged
Awesome topic!! and really well said!! i agree with u for the people will not visit this website if they c bad things about them!!! But I also agree with Pracheta Confused

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Talking about people’s weight/appearance (Page 3)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

insouciance

IF-Rockerz

insouciance

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 2:49am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Buffie !!

You are too much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Angry

BTW how did u manage to get such a photograph!!!

But still Apurva is cute!!!

cheers,

Mythili

LOL,Well,I didnt manage to get this photograph...It was one of those award functions,where Apoorva was badly dressed,and these are a few stills....It left everyone in a quandary,not knowing whether to laugh or cryLOL

insouciance

IF-Rockerz

insouciance

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 3:00am | IP Logged

Originally posted by wildblossom

They say you only insult another person because it makes you feel good...I mean what can you get out of insulting someone for their appearance? Does it make you feel good because you dont have that particular 'bad' trait? What reason do you have for insulting another person??Confused Someone plz explain to me what you gain by making fun of someone. You think you seem cool and confident?Ermm Not in my book....

A majorrrrrrr eyeroll Wacko

You sound like one of those whom say that if one says anything against a star,one is jealous of that starConfused

See,not everyone can be stoical,who just seem insouciant and non-chalant......

And lastly,stars parade theemselves,infact they get those unbelievable sums for their face,acting,emoting etc..No one wishes to watch an old hag romance abhishek...

Thus,when celebrities are commented on their looks/weight/height etcetera,I dont there that's a connotation of the person's jealousy or insecurity or sadistic nature....Its just a human trait to feel and express,express that someone's not on the ball,or that someone is seriously not all that!Period!

Looks sell,if not Aishwarya Rai and John Abraham have absolutely no buisness in Bollywood...The entertainment industry does give importance to looksand so do people...but what's more wose than just feeling the celebs arent good looking,is that real people judge me..Because I feel and express that a certain star is overweight,people sit judgmental,and call me a person who lacks depth,someone who is immature,someone who is bitchy..Now that  is what beats me...People sit judgmental on me,just because I called a star effeminate or muliebral or robust or fatConfusedConfused...How fair is that nowOuch

Edited by Buffie - 28 September 2006 at 3:14am

Mauritian

Goldie

Mauritian

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 3:12am | IP Logged
nice topic Clap Clap Clap

its one of those which i hope we could vote about.

no for me looks do not matter. they do not matter in real life and if tv / films are a reflection of what is happening in real life then it should not matter on these mediums either.

firstly, i suppose it comes with maturity, but mostly it requires a little sensitivity, that not all of us have the luck to be born with the killer looks. how many of my school friends or office colleagues i am close to is because they look good? in fact as time passes we stop paying attention to these and unconsciously start admiring or rejecting the finer points of ones character....

secondly, good looks.... slim figure.... youthful face is temporary. as age advances, all of this goes too. but we still can admire someone for what they are inside because this should remain unchanged.

thirdly, if i can pass through my daily life without anybody having to go into great lengths to explain it to me then why do we need this debate for the actors and actresses? i mean i can start another debate like "is the acting career restricted for those who look good???"

hello !!! how many times we crib that the serials and films have lost touch with reality, but in the same breath we expect that our actors and actresses look like images out of a poster no matter when they are photographed, no matter where they are!!!

i would expect a healthy industry to deal with many more topics than what we see on screen now a days... i would expect a larger spectrum of actors who can be included for each and every type of character the script demands... and i would expect a public who can accept them no matter how they are because this is how it is in real life too!!!

it was for this very reason this forum was born and so many of us were attracted to it. jjkn is not just a serial which was different, but also it was closer to so many of us because there was a touch of reality in it. our heroine was no pretty physically, but beautiful otherwise. and we liked her for precisely that reason.

Sharmii

IF-Sizzlerz

Sharmii

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 3:35am | IP Logged
Im scared To post my picture On I-F.
what if people call me ugly? LOL

BeautifulBillo

IF-Dazzler

BeautifulBillo

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 4:01am | IP Logged
well let's see--i totally adore abhishek bachchan and i think he looks awesome clean shaven like he did in Dhoom 1 and in the Motoslvr adverts I want him to SHAVE because i think he looks really bad TO MY EYES with the newest version of a french beard/ south indian hero look he's going for--it has nothing to do with his personality--i just want him to shave because its sadd to look at him like that; because i ll surely want a motoslvr when he looks great and his personality comes out in the adverts BUT who in the world will buy a watch from abhi looking like a scary goonda--NO ONE;similiarly if Ash paraded aound looking like she did at IIFA when she danced to kajra Re--with the extra weight-no one would put her L'Oreal billboard on the street; they'd rather put Eva Longoria or Charlize Theron;because people want to look GOOD; and cinema and tv is about putting dreams onto a canvas--so why put not so goodlooking things on a canvas--realism is plentiful on CNN
And when i have John Abraham's dignified appearances in public to applaud at why the heck whould I forgive AA for his public PDA a la post-crazy Tom cruise; or his GIS-ing or his badd dress sense when I have SRK's impeccable dress sense to look at; WHY
and contrary to what is being said--i think it might be the other way round--people who are overweight and not so good looking support stars who are overweight and not so good looking because the stars seem REAL to them--that is the reason Jassi was popular(I am SORRY for the blunt rudeness BUT thats what i think)
And i d rather watch a toned Bips and Ash in Dhoom 2 opposite HR parading his hotness and Abhi than watch smriti irani and mona singh pair opposite Ronit Roy and AA. I pay money for the visual treat that movies like Dhoom 2 promise;no point in denying that;and please watch the song btwn srk and sush in MHN--now that song looks ethereal BUT i would seriously cover my eyes and LEAVE the cinema if that song was picturised on anorexic GIS-ing AA and a plus sized Mona
i disagree that we are immature--i do NOT know mona singh from adams but shilpa shetty performing "pathli kamar lachkake is LOADS better and much more appreciated and true to the song than mona performing it;
Plus if one was to stop us from saying the BITTER TRUTH wouldnt it be fair to ban magazines like people; ban all commercials that focus on looks; and ban visual treats; and have everyone on Tv look like the cast of hairspray--No one would watch anything Ouch    

Edited by legallyblonde21 - 28 September 2006 at 4:04am

BeautifulBillo

IF-Dazzler

BeautifulBillo

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 4:22am | IP Logged
if there is to be a ban on commenting on celebrities' appearances let there also be restrictions imposed on music and the number of times the words "pathla" are used; the words "soni" are used' the word "sexy' is used; London and Madrid recently said they ddint want anorexic models at their fashion weeks BUT all the girls who modelled looked greatt and were THIN--none of them were fat! Milan that is the HOME of De La Renta;Dior;Gucci; Armani; etc refused to impose a ban--none of these designers made a size 20 dress; heck go to stores like the GAP & H&M even and one would probably not even find good jeans above a size 14; and if people can wear an Old Navy size 26 and secretly not wish that they looked like Tyra Banks then more power to them BUT there IS a reason the diet industry makes a LOTTT of money!!!

insouciance

IF-Rockerz

insouciance

Posted: 28 September 2006 at 4:22am | IP Logged

Originally posted by legallyblonde21

Cinema and tv is about putting dreams onto a canvas--so why put not so goodlooking things on a canvas--realism is plentiful on CNN 

I pay money for the visual treat that movies like Dhoom 2 promise;no point in denying that;

Plus if one was to stop us from saying the BITTER TRUTH wouldnt it be fair to ban magazines like people; ban all commercials that focus on looks; and ban visual treats; and have everyone on Tv look like the cast of hairspray--No one would watch anything Ouch    

You hit the nail with these points....Completely agree with LB…TV/Movies are a visual medium,and we pay money for the visual treat as Sheena put it ....

I would want a celebrity to look a million bucks,that person has to stand out,and has to be several notches above normal people in looks and in personaBig smile

I pay money to get entertained,and I want to see larger than life people,not just run of the mill mediocres romping about and calling it "performance"...

Now that the release of Dhoom 2 is in the offing,I would surely be paying my $$$ to watch a Hot Hrithik,Abhi and Ash in dhoom 2....Not to watch a flabby Smrithi or a flabby Mona dancing to the tune of Dhoom MachaleDead....Fine,I have no problems with people who are a bit overweight,and are happy the way they are,and wear clothes that cover all the flab,but such people cant harbour bollywood dreams,or a dream to become a model/actress(lead actress ofcourse,not amma roles)....I am paying for wholesome entertainment,and I wouldnt be wanting to watch flabby slobs dance and make a spectacle of themsleves

The essence of these movies is that they for 3 odd hours completely take us on a dream voyage...L_A_R_G_E_R  T_H_A_N  L_I_F_E  Things which normal people cannot do,or look like a diva(which every normal person cant)....Portrayal of larger than life characters is what catapults these actors into superstars..

Its all a fantasy,and that's precisely what we pay for and when we're paying,I want to watch the best.....I prefer to watch Hrithik pull off dangerous stunts rather than watching a Mihir Virani or a Jai Walia pull it off ...Those who are secure they way they look and of their personality wouldnt be jealous of a stunning Ash .. Such people would appreciate,and not say "Its allright to be obese"

I certainly prefer the movies with larger than life characters,I do not wish to watch movies which seem like documentaries..I could as well watch a real documentary if I so want to watch it...If celluloid is meant to be akin to real life,There would be absulutely no fun,one could as well watch a documentary,or news

and those who say that we love our acquaintances who arent the most gorgeous people on earth,I would beg to differ....I love my acquaintances for the people they are,for they way they are friendly towards me,and because of the bond and rapport we share..ANd I dont pay money to watch my acquaintances' faces,or watch them dance..if I'm,then I'd diss their performance too....whereas I do not know these celebrities from adams,all that I know is that they act,and I pay to watch them act...when I pay money,I'm entitled to comment on everything they do in the movie/serial..Smile

BTW, healthy actresses,provided they religiously work out,can get the toned look..Its not all that hard to be thin,but it requires alot of work,alot of gymming....and When these people get paid in millions,is it really that hard to hit the gym everyday and be in shapeConfused....Afterall,its healthy too,and these stars just need to show a bit of motivation and dedication...Cant they do that,not for the audience,but for their ownselvesConfused

Originally posted by WorldClassDiva

sorry I have not read all the posts in this thread but I think its ok to comment on celebrities' looks. They're in glamour industry where they are expected to look good. I'm sure there'd be people who'd say "its all about the talent etc etc etc". I'm sorry to say they are either very naive or just fooling themselves.

Because if talent was the only thing that mattered then Bollywood and Tellywood would need a major overhaul.

If these people show themselves to the world, make themselves look a certain way/pull publicity stunts/bring their personal life to the media/appear in public, then they are putting themselves to be judged by people like you and me.

I don't know why this forum is so uptight when it comes to making comments about looks. It is a different story if someone dedicates their whole IF user account to redicule an actor/actress in every single post. (*cough* *cough* that happens quite a lot around here but as long as you're friends with the moderators then its ok)

But commenting about a celebrity's looks and/or weight is normal and isn't harmful at all.

As always,very eloquently put MeganClapClap..

Besides,I think every field has certain sine qua nons…..Just like any person cant become a doctor,just as any TDH cant become a lawyer,I do think that people must have certain prerequisites to become an actor..Good looks(or atleast decent looks,stars must atleast look a tad bit better than normal people,orelse what is the differenceConfused),acting talent,dancing prowess,affability are some such requisites...It takes all of the above,to be a complete actor,a complete entertainer.....Orelse,we would have the incomplete actors,who would be dissed for the lack of any of the above(or all,as in the case of television actors)

Just my viewsTongue

Edited by Buffie - 28 September 2006 at 4:30am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top