Ye Hai Mohabbatein

Today's scene : Raman's Attention to Ishita without Intention

AshRun thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

On several other forums, I've seen that when a woman supports a female character , she is called a feminist as if it is a derogatory word. I am no self-proclaimed OR nationally acclaimed feminist, but somehow Ishita's behaviour today made me feel as if woman are really weak in love, especially when portrayed on Indian TV. 

I have issues with what Raman did today, and way more than that, I have issues with Ishita's reactions to it. Here is a man Raman who has not touched or willingly romanced Ishita in all these months even though he admits to finding her beautiful on many occasions. Then suddenly when he realizes that he hasn't given his wife any romantic moment to remember, and his first wife reminds him of their romance, he thinks " Hmm Why not make Ishita feel comfortable with this marriage so that she doesn't feel left out ?". So the man who doesn't even talk to her respectfully most of the time, decided to force her to dance in the rain with him. She agrees happily. This is where my problem begins. She completely gives in while he is only taking calculative steps to make sure " Kuch kuch hota hai " for her. Then Raman makes it appear as if he will kiss her, but instead emotes in a way which makes it look like he regrets what just happened and he is hesitant to go forward despite what all he just did. In the meanwhile, Ishita smiles asking " HOW did Raman know I needed this ? 
WOW, Ishita ! like really!! Do you not know and did you already not tell him in the past that he reacts to almost everything Shagun says or does ??? Do you not see that he pities you and purposely planned everything just  to make you feel better after hearing what Shagun said ? Do you not understand that he cares for you as a friend, and didn't like that you were left out when everyone else shared their love stories and you did not have one ? 

Any woman in Ishita's place would have expected more from this  relationship after everything IshRa have shared together and after all this time, but Ishita chooses to be content with Raman's attention that he gave her without any intention to do so.Had it not been for Shagun's intervention, Raman would not do what he did. If they had to show that he does that ONLY after hearing Ishita call him khadoos then the Shagun scene was NOT needed. Execution has failed in my view, and didn't leave an impact. 

Also, for the love of God, can we as a country stop showing that men are firm in their beliefs and do not get over evil first-wives even after 5-6 years, but the women rejoice at the slighest hint of romance ? Can Ishita not be shown as a desperate woman who craves for her husband's love even though he romances her only to make a point, and stops midway while romancing her ? Romance should be spontaneous. Special moments should be spontaneous, not planned because you pity your spouse. If Raman has really started loving her, he should be doing these things without any precursors. Attention without intention should not make a woman so weak. I hate that they ruined Ishita-Raman's love story for me. This was the only Indian love story I was following, but I give up, and I just needed to vent. Sorry people. Please respect my opinion even if you disagree, and do not take offense. πŸ˜Š

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Nisha0604 thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
It is afterall an Indian soap
well i take that back 99% of hollywood content is awful also
its not like we have a monopoly
in hollywood "progressiveness" =sex in most cases
YHM doesnt claim to be high brow or progressive or logical
I watch it for the two beautiful people
I dont over analyze every move tying it to Hindu shastras
Nor do I try to find modern day values in it
As long as they dont bore me to death with poornima or sooraj or sanjana
I AM OK
I pursue enough "intellectual" things outside my boob tube
They call it idiot box for a reason
Please dont try to draw parallels with real life
It will fall flat on its face
They try to please a gamut of viewers
Womens libbers dont even make it to the list
Sorry just my POV
Edited by Nisha0604 - 9 years ago
Sandysprings thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
U r expecting too much from Indian daily soap heroine ...if they stick to logic then viewer will not find it interesting..so no trp no business..
Just my POV..
AshRun thumbnail
Originally posted by: Nisha0604

It is afterall an Indian soap

It doesnt claim to be high brow or progressive or logical
I watch it for the two beautiful people
I dont over analyze every move tying it to Hindu shastras
Nor do I try to find modern day values in it
As long as they dont bore me to death with poornima or sooraj or sanjana
I AM OK
I pursue enough "intellectual" things outside my boob tube
They call it idiot box for a reason
Please dont try to draw parallels with real life
It will fall flat on its face
They try to please a gamut of viewers
Womens libbers dont even make it to the list
Sorry just my POV

Looking for logic in a drama does not mean that I don't pursue intellectual things in my own life. I do, pursue them to the point where finding time to watch this drama is a big restraint on my time. And you're right, they call it an idiot box for a reason. Oh, and I am not excited to be a part of their list of viewers that they want to please. I am glad they're not trying to please womens rights activists because then our time would be wasted on fiction, and we would become hypocrites who don't want to do anything for real women in trouble. Don't be sorry,  I understand your POV. :) 
Edited by AshRun - 9 years ago
AshRun thumbnail
Originally posted by: v_ani_patel

U r expecting too much from Indian daily soap heroine ...if they stick to logic then viewer will not find it interesting..so no trp no business..

Just my POV..

True, this is not the first time that quality is being compromised for TRPs...
Nisha0604 thumbnail
AshRun,
They ALL begin similarly, with feisty self righteous, smart leading ladies, well not all of them are professionally educated like Ishita, but most are carrying a virtual "jhanda"

The falling in love phase is the best IMO. Ekta Kapoor is masterful in narrating love stories, I have watched the first 6 months of many of her shows. Consistenly she delivers, both in selecting a scorching pair, and in bringing out the best in them. Even Raam Kapoor and Sakshi managed to convince audiences of their chemistry in BALH

She uses the same cliched premises and scenes, from rain, to button to sangeet to mehandi, but the way she does it each time is a lil different

7th month onwards jhanda flies out the window with every other character trait of the leading lady.

Thats when you should switch and look for another "visually appealing" couple to latch on toπŸ˜‰

The ride is short lived and exhilarating, but I have no patience for kitchen politics or punar janam or look alikes or whodunits (Mihir-sanjana-Poornima YAWWWN), one night stands...

Strangely for this show the magic has lasted BEYOND 6 months for meπŸ˜ƒ
Edited by Nisha0604 - 9 years ago
Nisha0604 thumbnail
Not sure HOW Ashrun, I will stop after I make this plug...πŸ˜†
Try and get a hold of the following classy shows

Rishta.Com
Hubahu
Mahi Way

ALL THREE ended in 26 episodes... were on a rival networkπŸ˜†

Outstanding! IMO

ZaaraBB thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 6
Edit
Ok. Thank you for your long post and i know how it feels when ur 'venting' out in general. 
From your post I get that you believe Raman was pitying Ishita. Was he really? Based on my opinions, i don't think he was pitying her. He also was embarrassed at how low Shagun can go. For God sake. She is engaged and Raman is marrried. Yet this woman has no self-respect at all. As Shagun finished her crap. Raman said a bit and walked off. He didn't want to here anymore. 

Remember a few episodes back, when Raman told Ishita we would make our own new memories..a bit different but newer ones. Raman was actually taken aback when Ishita told Mihika she has no hopes or anything from such an arrogant man like Raman. She had made up in her mind that there is no way khadoos Ravan Kumar can be romantic! This made Param take a jump and let the joker SHagun talk about the past, that now hold no importance in both Raman or Shagun's life. Its solely a phase of life, neither of the two wants to see again. Atleast definately Raman!!

COming back to Ishita and Raman. I don't think he was pitying her. He was reassuring her- letting her know that they too will have special moments, special private romantic moments in the future. Definately not so soon. But the dance was for her "kuch kuch hota hai" moment. It was for her to giive the warmth in her heart. That she has a husband who acknowledges to the entire world meri patni hai. He yells that atleast 1000 times. He has acknowledge this change in his life. But to show it, after a horrible heartbreak is difficult for him. He stopped himself from kissing her, why? He got dumped from a woman he was romantically and head-over-heels in love with, but what did he got in return?DUMPED? I think Raman is afraid to love and trust again. But buddhu Raman does not realise that these feelings are already present. He just never had time to accept these feelings or feel the presence on these feelings in him. He sees Ishita as his wife. But then he doesn't realise that he loves her. He is scared to tell himself, its ok you can love and trust again. Raman definately knows Ishita is not like Shagun. But trust problems is such that once broken horribly, your even scared to trust your own self. SO imagine what would be going on in Raman's head and heart!

Coming to Ishita. She also went into a heartbreak. 15 years was it? but she definately wasn't married and lived 24 hours of her life with Subbu. She didnt experience any romantic moment ever. So as it seemed from today's episode, she never shared a romantic moment with Subbu either. I felt horrible for her today. It wasn't that she was weak in love. It was just that she felt out of place and lonely. Everyone talking about these beautiful moments, when her hubby's bitchy-ex decides to tell her Raman is oh-so-romantic. She probably felt so dumb and weird. Whatever Param said was right, everyone could see that she felt stink. Raman walked out. He wasn't there, still he knew she would be affected and decided a drive. Maybe the rain dance wasn't even planned. Vandu mentioned the rain might fall. Raman wasn't even stopping he was planning to drive slowly but on Ishita's insistence he stopped and then he decide lets dance in the rain. He also mention listening to her n Mihika's conversation.   He probably was to take her on a drive and talk her out. But the atmosphere probably changed the mood. The music the rain and the idea!

The dance- though Ishita wasn't cooperating with Raman, she eventually gave in. She was happy and content, not weak in love. She wanted to feel better and her husband understood her. Her inner thoughts made it very clear. She wanted him to kiss her, but he didn't and Raman observed her and what she wanted and the smile;after walking away it was a 100% assurance that we are going to be there for each other and many of these moments are yet to come. Even more beautiful ones!!

ps.Sorry for such a long post. May be boring but im also sharing my opinions from a different perspective!
Edited by -Raz- - 9 years ago
--Megha-- thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Well i agree to u that women r portrayed as weaklings when it comes to Love on Indian Tv even Shagun who chose materialistic things which she loves over Societal pressure of compromising in a marriage, she is termed as Evil.

But how can u b sure that Raman is portrayed as a husband who loves Shagun n doesnt care abt Ishitas romantic feelings. Simple example f this will b he rubbed the balm on her neck, now if I had a friend n I really cared a lot for him I wud still not rub the balm on his neck especially an area whr his hand can reach easily. This was just not care, it was also need to be intimate n now it has become so easy between them. Remember when initially she rubbed balm on Ishitas back n neck when curtain fell off on them that time it was coz it was a spot she cudnt reach. This time its different.

Raman has time n again tried to b close to her, has asked her if she is happy with this marriage tried to understand whats going on in her mind.

Yes he created a new memory for her a new moment for her when they danced in rain but he didnt just give her that n left at that . If he really wanted to prove that he loves Shagun but he wants to show Ishita that he can love him he cud just hv stopped at that passionate dance. Coz next day he rubbed her balm n also said that do not share this private moment with anyone it is ours. What else do u want. πŸ˜†
404_NotFound thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail + 7
Very well said .πŸ‘
Complete agree with  you ...I am ok with a dance but I would have preferred if Ishita had resisted Raman's moves instead of enjoying the whole planned act. Ishita was acting like a teenager during dining table scene ...he cares for her as a roomate,friend but it was definitely not a romantic gesture from Raman.

Such scenes help them to garner good TRP as most of the people find such scenes romantic only few people would have issues...the rule is to please majority of the people and that is what they are doing .

Edited by yyyy - 9 years ago