Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah

Daya's cookery skills and other's eating habits. (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 3

Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 3 Page 3

niyati13

niyati13

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 11:39am | IP Logged
hey..no offence..but I get damn irritated when people with their half baked knowledge say that Gujarati cuisine is sweet.
IT IS NOT. At most it is a pinch of sugar with all other masalas..which doesn't taste essentially sweet..its savoury.
also..not all dishes contain sugar..it actually depends on personal preference too..i like sugar only in sweets.

Next, haathi is a surname in Gujarat.

Then, I have more than a dozen Jain friends..both from Gujarat n Rajasthan..who eat potatoes,onion,garlic n even eggs..they follow the restrictions in their holy period of paryushan...this is TRUE for my Brahmin friends too.

I live in Bangalore n all my non gujju friends love my food..mainly coz they R amazed by the variety of veg food items..and all of them like fafda..which is available at selected places in Bangalore.

Hope I added a few points to ur knowledge base. 

Edited by niyati13 - 29 August 2014 at 11:39am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Daya's cookery skills and other's eating habits. (Page 2)" in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

dey.bh

IF-Dazzler

dey.bh

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 12:31pm | IP Logged
First of all thanks for being a microwave to me to full bake my knowledge.

Secondly, I am sorry you found my post offensive. Dear we are only discussing how come Daya's food is said to be the best of all. Every cuisine has its own merits and demerits and accordingly people have different tastes.. As for Gujarati food being sweet ,it came out of my own personal experience. Unfortunately, my cuisine doesnt use jaggery in the quantity that is used in Gujarati cuisine. Therefore I find it sweeter than others. 

If you have any grievance over why people say so, you must direct the anger to the makers because they too showed the same thing during the Ran utsav where Iyyer says the same thing. Secondly, another cookery show commented the same ( I cannot name as it is against the IF rules)

I never heard a surname called Hathi and here Hathi is not Gujrati for a simple reason that  he and his family speaks Bhojpuri. So, no point discussing it any further. If you have any information about Hathis from N- India, please do enlighten me.

As you have friends in Bangalore, I personally come to know some Jains here in Guwahati and yes they essentially don't eat anything that grows under the soil. As for your justification, Ahmad has already explained that cosmopolitan life has a different dimension altogether. But handful of people only make exceptions while I am talking about the community as a whole. Logically, even Jetha once reacted likewise when Bagha opened an onion shop near  Gada electronics.

My idea was neither to insult any person, community or culture. My idea ws to promote the ffact that each woman in GD society has their own cooking skills which the makers don't explore at all. Its like Daya has to be the champion as far as cooking skills are concerned. Anything she cooks is delicious. Accordingly, trying to understand why is it so.

I equally find it irritating when people try to understand people around them with the half-baked ideas they themselves have. I will  personally want people here to restrict their personal likes and dislikes and judge the characters of the show alone.

P.S: I really had no idea about Hathi being a surname anywhere in India. No offense intended. I have discussed it before but no body prior to you has turned up with the information

Edited by dey.bh - 29 August 2014 at 1:07pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

..kimaya..

Bansari7

IF-Dazzler

Bansari7

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged
Brahmins are supposed to be pure vegetarian but they do eat onion and garlic and all other fruits and vegetables so plz get your facts straight 

niyati13

niyati13

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Bansari7

Brahmins are supposed to be pure vegetarian but they do eat onion and garlic and all other fruits and vegetables so plz get your facts straight 

exactly..
that's my point..i wouldnt mind if the discussion was just abt characters..
it was abt castes and communities..and that too was not entirely true.

abt, hathi..i just replied to ur statement that u havent heard of hathi as a surname..so i said it is.
its for the makers to decide where they r from..or just keep them as Indians..which we basically are.

its n individual's choice what to eat n what not to..particularly in today's time when we have exposure to much of indian n international cuisine..i m a vegetarian..but i dont really mind if my son wants to taste non- veg.

and as of now, let's just stop the discussion and go back to the basics...restrict our talks to the show n its characters.

dey.bh

IF-Dazzler

dey.bh

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 10:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Bansari7

Really ? I am sorry I dint know that.
 Edited.
Btw Brahmanism observes different rituals in different places. Just to tell it being a Bengali brahmin myself I know Bengali brahmins do have fish and mutton but not chicken or any other form of meat. We also eat onion and garlic.

Likewise there are some cults of Brahmanism where onions are garlics are somewhat prohibited. 

My facts cannot go straight here because we are talking about  Indian here. Mother of  several cultures, cuisines and customs.

In any case, sorry if it hurts your sentiments and don't worry the thread gets closed soon.

Edited by dey.bh - 30 August 2014 at 12:36am

dey.bh

IF-Dazzler

dey.bh

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged
http://www.indiacurry.com/faqterms/whatisnorthindiancuisine.htm

This is what I got and it claims in general brahmins are not suppose to eat onion and garlic. I guess people are too sentimental of their own cuisine and this discussion will get controversial as much as we try to dig. Thus, I am requesting the moderators to close the topic. We are not discussing aything on topic but hitting here and other about cuisines and cultures. The question was why Daya is Annapurna alone while others cook as much as she does? And Unfortunately, nothing has come out from this discussion.

Before it gets vulgar, lets end it.

Peace

..kimaya..

Goldie

..kimaya..

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 11:23pm | IP Logged
Debby just wants to say that just like daya, all the GD ladies must be cooking good food at their homes..but all the GD waasis only appreciate daya's food and all her annapurna .
I also think that it is wrong to call daya as annapurna as the other GD ladies are all annapurna in their own right  

But maybe they want to call daya as annapurna because they are trying to represent her as someone who loves cooking more and is more efficient with it...others might be better in their area's

P.S: Also what is wrong in Gujrati cuisine being sweet?What is to take offence in that? I love gujju food..It is really tasty..And yes it is sweeter as compared to our goan cuisine..But that is also the reason why I love it..

..kimaya..

Goldie

..kimaya..

Posted: 29 August 2014 at 11:31pm | IP Logged
Why to end this topic here? Healthy discussion is possible..We can refrain comments on communities..which I know we will..LOL

Post Reply New Post

Go to top