From Mother India to Mary Kom | Women in Bollywood |

Posted: 9 years ago
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjW55WwKKzE&index=8&list=UU55os7K-eMLTJy_aXzm5sHw[/YOUTUBE]
MK isn't even released yet and her PR is already declaring it as some revolutionary movie in Hindi cinema.

A decent analysis. I'd like to see more discussion on women in Indian cinema. 
Originally posted by LadyDabangg

And why not equal pay??

Because there's no equal role...
Thank god they added subtitles. I had a hard time understanding her. Her face barely moves.

Also, why hasn't she ever included Kajol's Gupt or Manisha Koirala's Khamoshi/Dil Se/Bombay/Escape from Taliban ? 

Or let's take it a little further: Alia Bhatt's Highway

Yet she only mentions how Kareena and Deepika have done substantial work beside Kangana/Sri Devi/Vidya. 

This lady is such an ass kisser. 

I think every now and then Bollywood has made some female centric movies. Guddi, Seeta Aur Geeta, Aandhi, Khoobsurat, Khoon Bhari Maang, Chaalbaaz, Umrao Jaan, Damini, Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Aayi, Fiza, Zubeida, Astitva, Chandni Bar - these and others I may have forgotten are all female centric movies where the woman took center stage.

Some were major hits as well. I think recent hits like Queen, Kahaani, Dirty Picture and English Vinglish have broken barriers of mass appeal. But I think credit is due to all actresses and filmmakers who have attempted to give women equal footing.  

Being a contra view I think blames is on more on women themselves for our current generation view towards womancentric movie. They r part of 50% population but as an influencer nd opinion maker of movie viewer in a family what is their role in last decade? we celebrate Fashion as woman centric movie by forgeting same sucessful chopra or aiswarya r only bcoz of product of fashion. I tag that movie as realistic than woman centric. They just play their card of woman issue in the fag end of carier when there is chance of award nd appriciation rest they r happy in commercial movie. Infact on mary kom we deny existance of woman who r minority and diff race . we r just happy with makeup. Edited by Bazigar - 9 years ago
Is katrina in Boom included ?
Originally posted by Bazigar

Being a contra view I think blames is on more on women themselves for our current generation view towards womancentric movie. They r part of 50% population but as an influencer nd opinion maker of movie viewer in a family what is their role in last decade? we celebrate Fashion as woman centric movie by forgeting same sucessful chopra or aiswarya r only bcoz of product of fashion. I tag that movie as realistic than woman centric. They just play their card of woman issue in the fag end of carier when there is chance of award nd appriciation rest they r happy in commercial movie. Infact on mary kom we deny existance of woman who r minority and diff race . we r just happy with makeup.

You make a good point. However, when it comes to minority representation the issue is more complex.

Consider this. The population of Ferguson is 52% black. Yet they make up less than 5% of the administrative and police force. Is it the black person's fault they are unfairly represented and discriminated against? To a certain extent yes, there are issues within the black community that need to be addressed. At the same time it would be foolish to ignore the history of slavery, centuries of white dominance and generations of socially ingrained racism.

Women in India face the same challenges. For centuries she was seen not as a human, but property, first of her father and then her husband. Women today are born into generations of patriarchy and male dominance. Women still live in a society ingrained with extremely strong definitions of how an ideal woman should be. In such a world it is not easy to stand up one day and decide to change things. Sometimes it is difficult to even see that there is something wrong because from the second a girl is born, the patriarchal definition of women is taught to her by the world around her.

Yes it is absolutely shameful and disgusting that a North Eastern Minority woman cannot be faithfully represented in Indian cinema. At the same time it is commendable that Mary Kom is a well-known and celebrated woman, and she gets her story. Today a woman is represented, if we keep pushing, someday the minorities will also be well represented too.