Frequent Posters

adiana12 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Some very interesting info on Akbar -
This is a translation from a book by De Laet who wrote it in - 1631

On the death of Achabar, grandfather of the prince
now reigning [Shah Jahan], his treasures were carefully
counted, and were found to amount in all (including gold)
silver and copper, both wrought and unwrought, together
with jewels and all manners of household commo-
dities to 34 Carores, 82 Lacks and 26,386 rupees (i.e., to
Rs. 348,226,386$ : of this total Rs. 198,346,666! was in
specie of all descriptions.

Giving further details of this treasure, De Laet says -

As regards, first, the gold specie : the king had struck
some coins of a weight of 1oo Toll (1,150 massae) each, and
some of a weight of 50 and 25 Toli. The total of these
reckoned in massae, amounted to 6,970,000 massae : and
at a rate of Rs. 14 to each massa were worth in all

RS- 97,580,000}.

In the second place, the silver coins, rupees of Achabar,
amounted to Rs. 100,000,000.

In the third place, the copper coins (Peysa* or piti)
numbered 230,000,000 and (reckoning 30 tacki per rupee)
were worth altogether Rs. 766,666.

Thus the total comes (as given above) to Rs.
198,346,666}. The jewels of all kinds, together with the
wrought gold and silver and the Chinese vessels (known com-
monly as Porcellane), were reckoned at Rs 93,820,068
namely : Diamonds, rubies, emeralds, sapphires, pearls
and similar gems, Rs. 60,520,521 wrought gold, for example
beautifully worked necklaces, of all kinds, Rs 19,006,745:
golden furniture, all kinds of gold plate, golden images of
elephants, horses, camels and similar animals, Rs. 9,507,992 :
wrought silver (cups, discs, candelabra, columns, and other
plate and utensils of all kinds), Rs. 2,225,838 dishes and all
kinds of furniture made of brass, Rs. 51,225, fine porcelain
vessels of all kinds, Rs. 2,507,747 total Rs. 93,820,068

Cloth of gold and silver, from Persia, Turkey, Guzerat
and Europe : various kinds of silken goods muslins from
Bengala and other provinces, were estimated at Rs.
503,252 : pavilions, curtains, canopies, carpets and what-
ever is needful for adorning a palace and for travelling,
Rs- 9,925,545 : Woollen cloth from Europe, Persia and
Tartary Rs. 503,252 : Books written by great authors
beautifully bound, to the number of 24,000, estimated at
Rs. 61463,731 in value : cannon and bombards, cannon*
balls and gunpowder, and other munitions of war,
Rs- 8,575,971 : Armour, shields, swords, daggers, bows,
arrows, etc., Rs. 7,555*525 : Horse-trappings, golden
and silver bridles and other equipment of cavalry,
Rs. 7,555,525 * Cavalry tunics decorated with gold and
silver, cloaks of all kinds and royal armour, Rs. 5,000,000 :
total Rs. 56,059,649.

If the whole of this treasure be estimated in our
coinage (reckoning one and half florins or a thaler to a
rupee) it comes to 522,339,579 gold Carolines or florins.

*De Laet means Dams; Paisa = } Dam. Elsewhere
(pp. 150, 172) De Laet says Re. 1=20 Tackas; but here 30 Tacki.

And here is a comparison btwn the Mughal treasure and that left by Henry VII, VIII and Elizabeth I - from the same source 'De Laet' -

The Agra treasure calculating at 35. as Re. amounts
millions. There were six other treasure*
cities: Gwalior, Narwar, Rantambhor, Asirgarh, Rohtas, and
Lahore. Smith assumes that these cities had some i& millions
sterling between them. The total comes to 40 millions. The
purchasing power of money was six times greater than the pre-war
rate, say, in 1914. In other words, the total brings us to the huge
figure of 240 millions sterling Henry VII (who died in 1509) left
1,800.000 in bullion and was considered rich. Henry VIII debased
the coinage and Elizabeth left behind a debt of 400,000 and a
huge number of farthingales !

The most interesting item in the stores other than coins, kept
at Agra alone, is the large number of books of great authors, 24,000
volumes. Each volume cost Rs 270 or 27 to 30 The calh-
graphist's charge was very high

Edited by adianasr - 9 years ago
Sandhya.A thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Updated on Page 1 😊

Edited by Sandhya.A - 9 years ago
ghalibmirza thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
adi the more we learn about this great personality the more i become his fan and i hope and wish that one day someone can make a short series on his achievements and i wany the producer and director to be a Caucasian as they will be unbiased and will give us the quality work with more history than fiction!
divyavm thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Sandhya.A

Divi

Nice little alterations that would change the flavor of the whole proceeds. Throughout the show since Mohan I have always felt that a littke changes would have worked wonders. 

That is what makes it the most painful right, you are enjoying the scene, and suddenly a few words change the whole essence 

Where is the equation of the first 80 episodes that has adoring fans who still cling on due to the memories of those episodes, the charming, balanced ones...that had a rakish smart sauve strong Jalal and an equally strong principled never-say-die attitude filled Jodha?

The smartness has been replaced by utter dumbness and he has been made to bend so low in the name of humility.

The never-say-die attitude has been replaced by I-am-never-wrong attitude.

Well said! I am guessing the early team was part of the group that walked out

Why not a little apology for the tiger fiasco and the nursing scenes that was promised in the promos but never came. Instead we now have leppings at all unwarranted places.

Oh that promo (and Mohan) overall were the biggest letdown 

Why not a little underplayed attitude for Jo at Amer. 'Go-die-anywhere' edited, 'cheenna jaante hain' edited, 'we need more warriors like him to fight off the mughals' edited. A little reminiscence and confused softening of feelings at Kaali Mandir Bow?

"Ek dialogue ki keemat" kya samjhe yein CVs ...

We will even swallow the body heat stuff as the precursor of the blue vomit track. There too why not a little more 'shararat' before Jo walks off outside the tent? And more importantly, why was the 'zubaan' not clarified? Jalal could have given his word after saving her from the suicide attempt.

Why not some tedapan from Jalal to solve the issues at the end of Tasneem track?

Why not as a little more smartness from Jalal in the Ben track and editing of Ben scenes?

Why not some better handling of the affairs post Sujamal track? Better worded letter? Jo shown depressed hence to Amer...instead of Kshama shesh hai...Jalal goint to Amer to drop her rather than carried to Ganghour...a little more romantic Ganghour there... and when he gets back to Agra, BOTH of them missing each other badly, both in tears, and Jo coming back due to missing him rather than Thirth Kar abolition of Shivaani forgivance.

Why not editing of Jodha bhaashans, and make the content of her words hitting the nail rather than starry and over-virtuous? Her speech to Jalal in the Ruqs MC track and to Jalal in Ruqs Fake Pregnancy track were fabulous. Though long they didn't impress you as a boring bhaashan. They were rich in content and beautifully worded.

Why not Todarmal just imprisoned and Tafteesh pending when Shehnaaz is caught? Why not Jalal equally insistent that TM can't be wrong and ordering enquiry? Why not  Jalal/Atga/Salima trap Shehnaaz acting? Why not editing of explicit Mahaan dialogues?

Why not continuation of war after the chilli war...if budget doesn't permit, women could discuss it and messengers could drop in and convey the updates...Why not total edit of vote of thanks and salaam? Why not personal appreciation instead?

More than anything, why not better romance??????? Physical closeness is not the only criteria. What intensity we had in the aarti scene? Why not more of such scenes? Why not ban lap,lep,lories and pointless bachcha talks? Even the other day when Babu's mom praised Jo and Jalal the look Jalal gave Jo was electrifying.

All great questions Sandhya ... That only the CVs can answer. I think they fail to understand what a little nuance in dialogues can do ... It can be magical

ghalibmirza thumbnail
divi my dear ur dreams are beautiful bu they are just dreams i do not see anything positive happening in reality! do i sound like kashayp of ZGH at timesπŸ˜†
Rashmi81 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Sandhya.A

Divi

Nice little alterations that would change the flavor of the whole proceeds. Throughout the show since Mohan I have always felt that a littke changes would have worked wonders. 

Where is the equation of the first 80 episodes that has adoring fans who still cling on due to the memories of those episodes, the charming, balanced ones...that had a rakish smart sauve strong Jalal and an equally strong principled never-say-die attitude filled Jodha?

The smartness has been replaced by utter dumbness and he has been made to bend so low in the name of humility.

The never-say-die attitude has been replaced by I-am-never-wrong attitude.

Why not a little apology for the tiger fiasco and the nursing scenes that was promised in the promos but never came. Instead we now have leppings at all unwarranted places.

Why not a little underplayed attitude for Jo at Amer. 'Go-die-anywhere' edited, 'cheenna jaante hain' edited, 'we need more warriors like him to fight off the mughals' edited. A little reminiscence and confused softening of feelings at Kaali Mandir Bow?

We will even swallow the body heat stuff as the precursor of the blue vomit track. There too why not a little more 'shararat' before Jo walks off outside the tent? And more importantly, why was the 'zubaan' not clarified? Jalal could have given his word after saving her from the suicide attempt.

Why not some tedapan from Jalal to solve the issues at the end of Tasneem track?

Why not as a little more smartness from Jalal in the Ben track and editing of Ben scenes?

Why not some better handling of the affairs post Sujamal track? Better worded letter? Jo shown depressed hence to Amer...instead of Kshama shesh hai...Jalal goint to Amer to drop her rather than carried to Ganghour...a little more romantic Ganghour there... and when he gets back to Agra, BOTH of them missing each other badly, both in tears, and Jo coming back due to missing him rather than Thirth Kar abolition of Shivaani forgivance.

Why not editing of Jodha bhaashans, and make the content of her words hitting the nail rather than starry and over-virtuous? Her speech to Jalal in the Ruqs MC track and to Jalal in Ruqs Fake Pregnancy track were fabulous. Though long they didn't impress you as a boring bhaashan. They were rich in content and beautifully worded.

Why not Todarmal just imprisoned and Tafteesh pending when Shehnaaz is caught? Why not Jalal equally insistent that TM can't be wrong and ordering enquiry? Why not  Jalal/Atga/Salima trap Shehnaaz acting? Why not editing of explicit Mahaan dialogues?

Why not continuation of war after the chilli war...if budget doesn't permit, women could discuss it and messengers could drop in and convey the updates...Why not total edit of vote of thanks and salaam? Why not personal appreciation instead?

More than anything, why not better romance??????? Physical closeness is not the only criteria. What intensity we had in the aarti scene? Why not more of such scenes? Why not ban lap,lep,lories and pointless bachcha talks? Even the other day when Babu's mom praised Jo and Jalal the look Jalal gave Jo was electrifying.

Beautiful .Getting addicted to your writings now.
divyavm thumbnail
Originally posted by: Donjas

What a fantastic post. How difficult would it have been to do all that? You have implemented minor but essential changes to the scenes and the result is a still strong Jodha as the CV's want but Akbar too has not been obliterated in the process.

From this little exercise, it is obvious that the problem in this serial is uninspired thinking by the CV's and in many cases lazy thinking. It is our misfortune that a bunch of talentless hacks make all the decisions and everyone else has to suffer as a result, the hard work of Rajat, Paridhi, the other actors and maybe the Director all gone to waste.

Oh! How I wish, you or I or somebody else from this forum could be CV for some time. We would get this serial on track while still showing an uber strong Jodha as Ekta wants.

By the way, does anyone have emails of any person from the show. I am going to bombard them with Divya's post.

Thanks so much! Yes, the changes that would help are not that drastic ... Just more nuance and strength in dialogues. That is what I wanted to show from the post.

I will give another example- there was a dialogue of Jalal's "if I knew you were pregnant then I would not have fought the war" That made no sense! Then the enemies would have destroyed everything including the future of his heir.

It could have been "If I had known you were pregnant, I would have never let you come to the warfront with us ... I would have kept you in a safe place away from the war."

Shows the same concern, but makes sense! 
ghalibmirza thumbnail
divi, after skipping the whole week episodes in protest i did a sneak peek of 2 seconds on the last epi, and could not believe its the same JA that i started watching! entirely something else but in a very bad way that i cannot express in wordsπŸ˜†
divyavm thumbnail
Originally posted by: Rashmi81

My suggestions -

1) The paigam sending for talks should be done first ,when the first news of Nigar declaring war arrives in DEK.Then he can consult all the important people on how to approach her.If she was ready to meet,he would have definitely asked her to prove herself she is CB s daughter and even verified that the Farman with her was original and then further talks.He won't give her throne in the first place as a chocolate until he is satisfied.Because finally it's Sar-Zameen-e-Hindustan.
   See taking the army to encampment and then going for talks for me is not right move.Come on, those days traveling with such a big group was a huge thing.What will soldiers think, that first they are motivated for war in Agra and when they reach, now the King wants peace talk.This will create confusion,So peace talk trying in Agra only.

That makes sense ... I tried to keep a little too much with the CV's plot I guess πŸ˜†

2) Now we all know paigam not reaching to Nigar,thanks to MA and war is inevitable.The motivation and pep talks ,crying,consoling are done for two to three days.But while  leaving for war ,at that time we will see Jalal confident to take on the enemy though he won't harm Nigar.😑Now no looking back.

Yes, I want to see stronger expressions during the tilak scene ... Like the awesome one after Ruq's MC ... That determination in his face

3)War strategy planning is very good.But why so much footage for Todarmal and only one dailogue to Atgah.Todarmal looked after finance and Atgah was military general and Atgah has been working for many years with Jalal.

Atgah does come up with the ropes and traps ... πŸ˜† I should have taken my Todarmal Fan Club hat off πŸ˜‰

4) In real war ,When Abulmali sees his army being beaten up badly, .He goes for plan B .He brings handcuffed Nigar infront of Jalal in the battlefield  and he tells him if he wants to see her alive then he has to put down his sword and then Jalal is arrested and taken to unknown place.While going also, Abulmali warns others that if they see anybody following them ,then Jalal will be dead.I don't want Jalal to fall in the trap.He was fighting bravely but had to put down the sword because of Nigar being brought in the battlefield handcuffed.This Nigar being brought handcuffed is just a chaal of AM and Nigar.When he goes to that unknown place ,he comes to know the reality.

Ok fine ... I let the CVs have the suspense of Jalal falling in the trap but getting out of it or they may claim it is too easy ... And not dramatic enough ... After all we have seen Jalal and Jodha caught in a trap before 

And rest of the story is very fine from Mirchi war to harem freed and Jalal freed
 I am sorry Divya ,I tried to make some changes.

No need to apologize. Maybe they should consider having a crowdsourcing model for writing serial scripts ... We would have a killer story by then 

divyavm thumbnail
Originally posted by: ashpat

superb post! divya. It would be awesome to c strong JODHA and JALAL at same time. Hope CVS read ur post. Your post is straightforward and without bring sarcastic at any character or even CVS. 

Thank you!

I reached my sarcasm quota with my take on Friday's episode πŸ˜†