Lovely update as always.😃
Hmm...KT seems quite disturbed.😆
Naomi is so talkative 😆.
Loved it. <3
Please continue soon!!

crtkelly thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 9 years ago

She hadn't meant to ignore her mobile, but had just been too involved in the sketch she was doing to realize that it was ringing.

"Hello"

"Too busy to talk this evening; on another call perhaps?"

"Nay KT, who would be calling this time of night? I was just in the middle of something that's all, and didn't hear the phone at first.

"Aacha, well if you are too busy..."

"Nay, KT, I'm all yours; how are you?"

"Are you?"

Sighing heavily at the idiocy of the question and the reasoning behind it, Rachna continued, "KT, did I ever mention that Naomi's brother lived in the UK? It's funny really, although she is allowed to reside in student housing, her parents were so happy that she selected a university in the city where he works.  It was really great for her, well for both of us to have someone older nearby to look out for us, you know. I guess for her it could be a bit overbearing having your big brother around so much, but he always checked on us and made sure the two of us were ok. Poor Naomi, I swear she has to talk to him every other day or so, just to check in to see how she doing here, but it's nice to get the chance to speak to him when he does Skype her. He really reminds me a lot of Mayank."

"Naomi's brother is the "go-to-guy?"

"Yes, why what on earth were you thinking?"

"Well, actually.. so you never receive calls from him directly then?"

"Believe me, I'm sure in his view I fit in the same category as his irritating little sister; who by the way, was only trying to deflect speculation today at lunch from the two of us, that's all. Anyway, I hope you were you calling to confirm the schedule for tomorrow as you did seem a little distracted earlier today. We should be finished classes by 2:00 tomorrow afternoon, so Naomi and I will make our way to the studio after that. We should have time for a couple of fittings."

"I could just come and collect the two of you."

"That won't be necessary, we will be okay. Oh, and by the way KT, even if I was receiving calls directly, they wouldn't mean anything; this is the only telephone call I look forward to now."

Racing through the corridor, already fifteen minutes late, Rachna paused to take Naomi's call.

"Ra, how much longer will you be? I'm just at the gate now."

"I'm sorry, I just got stuck here. See if you can grab a rickshaw, and I will be right there, okay?"

"Okay, I will be waiting, but hurry."

Approaching the college entrance, Rachna noted that Naomi was still attempting to get a rickshaw to no avail. "Great," she thought, "Now we'll be even later." Perhaps they she should have agreed for KT to collect them, she thought; an idea confirmed as  she noticed that two motorcycle riders had stopped adjacent to her friend, and one of them was now getting off to approach her. "Oh God." Rachna thought as she quickened her steps.

Apart from a cursory hello, Naomi ignored the young man who had approached her as she attempted to hail an approaching rickshaw. Only when she felt her wrist being touched, did she turn her attention to the person. "Excuse me, how dare you!"

"Your henna is very beautiful; did you do it for someone special?"

Attempting to pull out of the grip of this stranger who thought it okay to touch her, Naomi looked up at the man, and vented her fury, "You want to get a look at the henna design, well you will get a real close view, if you don't let me go, mate!" Only on realization that the second rider had got off his bike did she grasp that she may be a little over her head. She was looking around for assistance when, almost simultaneously two hands came down to grip the young man's arm.

"Let go of my friend now!"

"Abhi, what the hell is wrong with you?"

Rachna looked up at the second man in relief that he wasn't adding to this problem. "Perhaps you can teach your friend some manners; how dare he.."

"Rachna, it is Rachna right? I'm sorry he shouldn't have done this."

Startled by the use of her name by a complete stranger, Rachna loosened her grip and watched as the man, forcibly removed his friend's hand and shoved him away.

"Ra," Naomi whispered, "do you know him?"

"Nay, I don't, I've never met him before." Glad at that moment for an empty rickshaw to be approaching, Rachna hailed it, and the two of them scrambled into it, escaping the strange situation.

"Dammit Abhi, what is wrong with you?" Shekhar had demanded of his friend as he pushed him away from the two young women. "I won't spare you if you ruin this for me!"

"You can't be serious Shekhar, you can't be considering her? That sounds like your mother talking not you."

"Are you sure Ra, I mean how did he know your name?"

"I honestly don't know." Realizing they were approaching their destination, Rachna turned to her friend, "Please let's just let it go until we get home okay?"

"Sure Ra, it's just so bizarre though."

Their minds elsewhere, Rachna and Naomi left the studio, still contemplating the strange situation. As they walked to her house Rachna noticed the older woman leaving and stopped in shock. She had only seen her briefly six months ago, and then too she had had a profound effect on her life.

"Namaste Aunty Ji"

"Rachna beta, welcome back home.  I was hoping to see you today when I visited but was told that you were working. Did your studies go well?"

"Yes Aunty, they did. Since I'm here now, would you like to come back home?"

"Nay, nay beta, that's all right, but I did want to say that Shekhar is very anxious for the two of you to finally meet. Everything happened so quickly with your overseas studies that you didn't have the opportunity before, but now you are back and we will now make arrangements very soon."

"Ji Aunty, Namaste."

"Goodbye Beta."

Watching as the older woman got into the awaiting car, Rachna waved goodbye, more by rote, than in actual farewell.  Waving back, all the woman could think of was at last she had found the perfect Bahu; she would now ensure that there would be no more hindrances to this marriage; one delay had been enough.

Edited by crtkelly - 9 years ago
parmarA thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Me first to read.Off to read 
parmarA thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
@Kelly,Beautiful update dear.
Kabir is asking Rachana about Naomi's brother like detective.But Rachana's explanation and more than explanation her calmness stole my heart.She was too cool by her answers.

Naomi is cute girl but here Rachana became Rowry Rathore.Oh gosh!is that the same Rachana?

I enjoyed Rabir's Phomance [Phone romance] and totally loved it.

I am surprised who was that old man?

Waiting for that answer and waiting for next chap

Sharlene1410 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Things are getting very interesting looking forward to what comes next.
sidholic thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Aww this is so interesting...
My eyes r glued here...
Whose this shekhar n abhi?
Whts their view?
Outstanding update...
Oops 4got the awesome stuff...rabir on the phone just too gud...
Continue soon
saravathi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Was interesting from the start till end,
Kabir's questions n his eagerness was ultimate,I loved t..
n now this Shekar,Poor Rachna didn't even see his photo?
Thanks for the amazing update dear
crtkelly thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Even the most casual of observers would have realized that something was wrong after the conversation she had witnessed, but still Naomi was shocked when she looked away from vehicle pulling away from the house, to her friend. "Rachna, are you okay?" Her face ashen, Rachna, had flinched at Naomi's voice, before turning to rush through the door. "Mummy, I need to speak to Mummy" she muttered leaving her perplexed friend in her wake.

Apprehensive for her friend, Naomi raced up the steps to follow her inside, but was intercepted by an agitated Gunjan. "Naomi, have you seen my mobile?"

"No Gunjan, we just got in. Is Aunt Shail home?"

"Yes she is, but I'm not certain in where exactly she is. God, where could have my mobile got to?"

Extracting hers from her purse, she handed it to Gunjan, "Here call your number."

"Ah right, thanks so much." Identifying the ringing coming from beneath a chair, Gunjan picked up her mobile, a confused look on her face, "How on earth?"

"Gunjan, who was the lady who just left here?"

Her face still a visage a bewilderment, Gunjan looked at Naomi at last, "Nay Naomi, I didn't see her, but she couldn't have been here too long; I mean I had been down here with Massi Ma , but then went up to my room for a while, until I realized that I had left my mobile here. I honestly didn't see her."

"Okay, could you let Rachna know I have gone to the bedroom if you see her."

Standing outside her parents' room, Rachna listened to the words that seem to solidify her fate.

"Two weeks, Shail, no longer; I want no doubt over this timeline."

"Ji, I will talk to her."

Watching as her father left the room , Rachna hesitated briefly before knocking on her mother's bedroom door

Coming to sit on beside her mother on her bed, Rachna pleaded, "Mummy, please."

"Beta, I guess you heard your father, hmm?" "Smiling, she pulled her daughter into her arms. "My advice is to use the time you have to make sure that you know all you need to, so that you will be ready for the next step."

"Mummy, I know now.  Plus, when will I have time between college and work?"

"Well college we can't do anything about, but there's more to life than work; make the time, Rachna and use the time wisely. Get to know him as much as you are able."

Crestfallen, Rachna sat in her room, attempting to gather her thoughts before she placed her telephone call. She was taken aback when instead her phone rang; looked at the time and answered.

At the computer, Naomi too noted the time and smiled to herself. KT was early tonight, she thought, he must have known that Rachna was in need of cheering up. Just before placing her headphones on, she heard the two of them arranging to meet for coffee and was glad for it, as she knew that Rachna was happiest when she was with him. All too soon the call was over and she noticed Rachna turning in. "Ra did you want to talk?"

"Nay, Naomi, I just want to get some rest now. Let's talk in the morning, okay?"

"Okay, Good Night."

Now sitting in the cafe, mulling how she would handle this conversation, Rachna again checked the time. She should be able to get back before it was too late, and hopefully without being noticed.  She hoped that what lay before her wouldn't be too difficult a task, but she was determined to get her point across. If not now, when would she be able to; certainly not after the deadline she had been given.

She looked up aware that he had approached the table finally. She looked up at him; her eyes widening in shock, "You?"

"Yes me, I'm pleased to meet you at last, Rachna."

"Where's your obnoxious friend today?"

"Just me I'm afraid, I figured we didn't need an audience for our conversation."

"Shekhar, Look I need to just come to the point."

"It's okay Rachna, I get it already. You don't want to marry me, right? Well the thing is Rachna, I don't want to marry you either, but I do need your help."

"Are you mad...I mean you're absolutely right, but how could you possibly think to start off like that, my God!"

"My mother is right, you are absolutely perfect," Shekhar said with a laugh, "That's what I'm counting on Rachna, so can you at least hear me out? Mind you this probably take a little longer than coffee; how about lunch then?"

"Ah, sure?"

Signaling the waiter for menus, Shekhar once again smiled at her. "First thing Rachna, let me commend you on your resourcefulness; and thank you for the six month reprieve. Mother was fit to be tied, but I was definitely relieved."

"But you couldn't solve whatever your problem is during that time?"

"Unfortunately no, and mother is adamant about you."

"Tell me then."

Lunch now done, Rachna sat there disbelieving that she was actually contemplating this, but as Shekhar said, it would solve both of their problems. She smiled shaking her head.

"Will you at least consider it, Rachna?"

"I guess it all depends on what she has to consider, don't you think?"

Rachna looked up in shock at the group that had approached the table without the two of them being aware and in particular the person who had posed the question.

"KT how...?"

Edited by crtkelly - 9 years ago