Debate Mansion

Did any book create impact on you? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 9

Page 1
Page   of 9
Page 3 Page 9

lighthouse

IF-Dazzler

lighthouse

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 11:52am | IP Logged

Originally posted by abhijit shukla

A few books of Rajneesh. (Anyone who thinks that they are on right path to figuring out life, should read at least 5 of his books (any five) just as a challange and then ask if one still believes in everything that one did before reading them) A book I would recommend is ironically 'Books I have loved.' In it he talks about books as widely differnt as Alice in the wonderland, Gita, My experiments with truth, Johnatahn livingston Seagul, Diwan-e-Ghalib and Quran. It is amazing how wide his interests were and how well he could grasp everything from philosophy to  poetry to quantum physics.

Now that you mention Rajneesh , I remember trying to pick up one of his books but did not know enough or cared so did not bother.

I think I will now. Just curious why 5 books? Confused and which ones would you recommend.? I am guessing he wrote many books and I would have hard time trying to pick 2.

I hope his books are better then Deepak Chopra's  Ouch

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Did any book create impact on you? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

divya_p

Goldie

divya_p

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 2:12pm | IP Logged

Yes I read books..I'm a complete book FREAK!

No...I don't like reading books that "impact" my life..for me reading is escaping from real life, and entering a world where anything is possible. It is a way to escape, and forget everything.

Personally, if I were to read a book that would impact or change my life, it wouldn't be reading. I like to read to enter a completely different world, away from my daily life. I like to be in the shoes of a character, see a new world from the eyes of a different person. That is reading for me.

griffy.fz

IF-Rockerz

griffy.fz

Friendship Animated Sig. Winner

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 2:39pm | IP Logged
yes i read books and one which did impact on me was harry potter i kno many would laugh at me and say oh another harry potter fan but harry potter book gave me the power to imagine to write. to imagine most violent things and it also taught me that evrything in life is not goodie goodie
thats it i guess
luv
griffy

Edited by griffinmonster - 19 September 2006 at 2:40pm

Virgo_Stars

IF-Veteran Member

Virgo_Stars

--

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 3:04pm | IP Logged

I really love reading books. Some of my favs are

• God of small things (it had the kind of innocence in its narration and it was sooo totally from the point of view of a small child that i loved it)
  • Lord of the flies(i had read it ages and ages ago but i still remember it. I simply loved its symbolism and the moral of that story and yes it had a huge impact on me)
  • Animal farm (it was suchhh a good book. one of the best i have ever read. It truly is a classic)

umi82990

IF-Sizzlerz

umi82990

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 3:08pm | IP Logged

"Did any book create impact on you?" on book that impacted me is light in august by william faulkner and the harry potter series

Do you read books ? i don't like to read but i like harry potter and just random best sellers

Did any book change your life? books didnt exactly change my life but it did give me a realization of what i have and how lucky i am

Did any book save you from problems? books i read don't necesarrily save me from any problems..they're just leisure reading

Did any book help you in removing your confusions or did it add much more confusion? after reading faulkner, i get totally lost but when reading JK Rowling i never get lost

Do you say we read books but we don't take the content seriously? well it depends on what books we are reading and what the content..if it's something like the Da Vinci Code then some readers might take it serious but books like harry potter, no one should take those seriously

-just my thoughts and viewsWink

Edited by umi82990 - 19 September 2006 at 3:14pm

rhabia

rhabia

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 4:22pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Dear Friends!!

My topic for the debate is

"Did any book create impact on you?"

Do you read books ?

Did any book change your life?

Did any book save you from problems?

Did any book help you in removing your confusions or did it add much more confusion?

or Do you say we read books but we don't take the content seriously?

Kindly put your views in your leisure.

with best wishes,

Mythili

there have been many books that i have enjoyed reading, but two books that really got to me were 'Wuthering Heights' and 'Of Mice and Men', great books i say if you have not already them then do so, because everything in it is so great.  I read books now and again actualy very less now as the only things i do read are history books for assignments lolz, i suppose they save me from failing my course LOL .  I suppose some books are can be taken seriously depending on the genre but personally books are a part of entertainment or knowledge and should not be taken too seriously, yes some books can and do leave an impact but overall read a book and enjoy it.Smile

PUNJABI_HEERA

PUNJABI_HEERA

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 4:41pm | IP Logged
i dont reed @ all......4 skool i do ...o i also reed FFz n UPD8z only LOL

Diva

Goldie

Diva

Posted: 19 September 2006 at 6:29pm | IP Logged
Being a complete reading franatic, there are many books and novels which have left an impact on my memory. Whether fiction or nonfiction, a good book teaches us about life. It leaves us with something to think about, making us ponder over certain aspects of reality which we may not have previously.  Some of my personal favorites are:

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Memoirs of A Geisha by Arthur Golden
1984 By George Orwell
Night by Elie Weisel
Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier
Train to Pakistan by Khushwant Singh
Anthem by Ayn Rand
And ofcourse the ever so famous Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling.

And I could go on and on listing books. I do not know if books help us remove confusion or solve problems. However, books definetely do add new dimensions to our knowledge. They allow us to create our own colorful world through our imagination. Reading also enables one to become a better writer and improves our communication skills.  And I guess at the end of the day, books can also be a form of entertaintment - though many do not see them in this manner.  I would say anyday that a book is a better form of entertaintment than any movie - why let someone else decide how things should be painted?  Why not use one's own imagination to create a world - one which is both lively and uniqueTongue

Dolly

Edited by Diva - 19 September 2006 at 6:40pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top