Sports/Cricket
Sports/Cricket

India-Forums

WORLD CUP NEWS - Keep Posting + Discussing (Page 4)

cute00ish Goldie
cute00ish
cute00ish

Posted: 07 July 2014 at 11:24am | IP Logged

Rio de Janeiro: The referee who failed to see Luis Suarez bite an opponent has been picked to officiate Brazil's World Cup semifinal against Germany. (Also read: Hard dose of reality impinges on Brazil's fairytale victory)

FIFA says on its website that Marco Rodriguez of Mexico will referee the match in Belo Horizonte on Tuesday.

Rodriguez has handled two World Cup matches, including Uruguay's 1-0 win against Italy on June 24.

Suarez's bite of Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini's shoulder went unseen and unpunished by the Mexican match officials. FIFA later banned Suarez for nine international matches and four months from all football activity. He has appealed.

Earlier, Rodriquez showed Italy midfielder Claudio Marchisio a red card for a serious foul.

FIFA says Mark Geiger of the United States will be fourth official for the match. He was also fourth official for Uruguay vs Italy.

Edited by cute00ish - 07 July 2014 at 11:26am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

ashdgr8

ashdgr8 IF-Sizzlerz
ashdgr8
ashdgr8

Posted: 07 July 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged
Argentina's Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona
ashdgr8 IF-Sizzlerz
ashdgr8
ashdgr8

Posted: 07 July 2014 at 11:46am | IP Logged
Argentina v Belgium

Lionel Messi earned his 91st cap for Argentina, moving him level with Diego Maradona.
ashdgr8 IF-Sizzlerz
ashdgr8
ashdgr8

Posted: 07 July 2014 at 12:10pm | IP Logged

Alfredo Di Stefano: Real Madrid legend dies at the age of 88

Real Madrid legend Alfredo Di Stefano, regarded as one of the greatest players of all time, has died.

The 88-year-old suffered a heart attack on Saturday and had been in an induced coma in Madrid's Gregorio Maranon hospital.

Real Madrid confirmed the news, saying Di Stefano, their honorary president, died at 1715 CET (1615 BST).

A forward, he won five straight European Cups, scoring in each final between 1956 and 1960.

Sir Bobby Charlton, who played against him for Manchester United, paid tribute.

"I think Alfredo Di Stefano was one of the best players I ever came across and an extremely intelligent footballer," said the former England international.

"He was somebody I really respected, having watched him from the stands at the Bernabeu and then played against him. I have many fond memories of my time with Alfredo and feel privileged to be able to call him a good friend.

"The footballing world has lost a great player and a great man."

ashdgr8 IF-Sizzlerz
ashdgr8
ashdgr8

Posted: 07 July 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged
Wing wizard: Arjen Robben celebrates reaching the semi-finals after scoring three goals during Holland's campaign
ashdgr8 IF-Sizzlerz
ashdgr8
ashdgr8

Posted: 07 July 2014 at 1:24pm | IP Logged
Inspired: Holland boss Louis van Gaal has made some key decisions to help his country reach the last four
ashdgr8 IF-Sizzlerz
ashdgr8
ashdgr8

Posted: 07 July 2014 at 1:31pm | IP Logged
Arjen Robben says 'I'm tired of this bull****', having faced strong criticism after admitting diving during Holland's World Cup win against Mexico in the last 16

Arjen Robben has said he is tired of people criticising him after he admitted diving during Holland's last-16 win against Mexico. 

The Dutchman appeared to be making a particular effort to stay on his feet during the World Cup quarter-final win against Costa Rica on Saturday, despite being fouled a number of times over the course of the 120 minutes. 

Speaking to Dutch broadcaster NOS after the match, he said: 'In recent days there has been a lot of talk about diving and actually I'm tired of this bull****.

'I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but I felt I was so good [against Costa Rica].'

He reserved some praise for Holland's other players, particularly substitute goalkeeper Tim Krul, who stopped spot-kicks from Bryan Ruiz and Michael Umana in the shoot-out to send Holland through to the last four.

'All praise and compliments to him,' said Robben. 'He saved two penalties and is now the hero of the Netherlands. I think that's fantastic.' 

Memphis Depay, who started the game for Louis van Gaal's side after impressing as a substitute in previous matches, said he lost his voice during the shoot-out as he cheered on his team-mates.

'I lost my voice a little bit from all the yelling at each penalty,' said the 20-year-old. 'Everyone held themselves together. We showed we are a very strong team.'

Holland face Argentina in their semi-final on Wednesday.

ashdgr8 IF-Sizzlerz
ashdgr8
ashdgr8

Posted: 07 July 2014 at 1:31pm | IP Logged
Big call: Robben won a penalty in extra-time for this tackle from Mexico captain Rafael Marquez

Go to top