B R Chopra portrayal of Karna with reference to KMG

Posted: 9 years ago

Hello all MM friends!! Posting after a long long time. In fact active on IF after a long long time. Sorry for it but today I have come here for special purpose. I don't know whether I will be able to continue discussing or not but I have made a compilation which I thought is worth sharing with you all guys. And since I have never posted in or hardly visited Star Plus MB forum and don't know anyone out there who are not members here, this was the perfect place to post this content and also the perfect time when Dron Parva is going on in the show and Karna Parva is about to start. The idea of these contents came to my mind when I posted last in this forum in Semanti's/Cherry's Yudhishthir thread.

@ Semanti (Urmila as some of the forum members know her)

Here is a surprise gift for you. I know nothing is new for you and everything is familiar to you because you are the reader of the epic and in depth researcher of it and I know you yourself are trying hard to open up the eyes of people who waste their time and mind in anti hero worship and useless sympathy for a negative character. It is sad that the impact of many novels on minds of people is greater than the epic itself and even B R Chopra whose entire serial was very accurate has followed these novels and movies so far as showing Karna's character is concerned. B R Chopra's only real inaccuracy is the characterization of Karna (apart from Abhimanyu vadh) which has now become base for other new shows too because the entire generation has got the misconceptions about the character now. Close minded people are not willing to listen to the fact which is written in the epic and they discuss as if these shows only are correct. And the exaggeration of his goodness and sympathy towards him is so much now (which even BRC never intended to do but just the communication distortion) that people irritatingly put him above Krishna in some of the polls and also support him going against the principles and approaches adopted by Krishna. May God give them the right intellect. Anyway, I know this place is full of open minded people and I am not willing to get into any kind of heating never ending arguments with blind fans of Karna, so this place is the right place.

Well the surprise for you is that, this is probably my second thread only that I am creating, and that too on this particular day, and that too when I am not active on IF. And you will also be feeling excited and happy to find some of the quotes and comments you made in our personal discussions. I have compiled them too along with the Sanskrit Verses you sent to me some days back. People know me here to have regularly quoted in GREEN fonts all relevant KMG quotes at different places but this time with all KMG parts depicting Karna's character, I have inserted with different fonts, your comments about KMG translation along with the actual verses.

Since, the KMG texts on Karna is too long for all to read, it can be kept as reference, but the crux or summary of all those parts of the actual MB text I have compiled as short summary points too. So I will first be starting with all those summary points in my normal RED fonts (Since they are written by myself) and then the subsequent posts will follow with pure KMG translation in my usual GREEN fonts. It may help you to discuss and debate in MB forum whenever you want to quickly refer to and quote any part of the text to prove your point in logical, objective, authentic, sound, acceptable and unobjectionable manner.

Here is the summary in my next post:

Edited by ShivangBuch - 9 years ago

Karna's false characterization in the TV serials summarized (biggest myths about Karna)

1. Karna studied in gurukul of Dron with Kuru princes only. He was friend of Duryodhan from the childhood only and was jealous of Arjun from the Gurukul days only.

2. Karna didn't face any caste issues except he was denied by Dron his request to teach him Brahmaastra. Brahmaastra could be learned by Kshatriya only with certain pennance or Brahmacharya and otherwise only Brahmin could learn it because it was Brahmaastra. That's why he lied to Parashuram that he was Brahmin and served him with dedication to learn Brahmaastra.

3. He was Sutputra which means the son of Radha (Brahmin) and Adhirath (Kshatriya) - a mixture caste created by inter caste marriage of Brahmin-Kshatriya. He was not neglected or discriminated by the society for his lower Brahmin caste compared to pure Brahmins, but only Brahmaastra vidhya had such preconditions.

4. Karna was involved in the conspiracy or shadayantra of killing Bheem in the childhood by giving him poison.

5. Karna went to fight against Drupad to give gurudakshina to Dron but he along with Kauravas returned with failure.

6. Karna and Duryodhan knew each other before Rangbhoomi through Gurukul and Duryodhan was projecting Karna against Arjun and was trying to lift him up to develop him as his supporter from the childhood only.

7. Karna was actively and willingly involved in Lakshagrih conspiracy (he never repented it and also knew that Kunti will also get killed).

8. When Draupadi rejected Karna, she knew about the conspiracy of Lakshagrih.

9. Karna was also given a kingdom by the king Jarasandh and he had very good terms with Jarasandh.

10. Karna clearly uttered the words "wh**e" (Veshya) in Sanskrit (Bandhaki) for Draupadi and also prompted and ordered Dushasan to disrobe her and was continuously involved and laughed in evil way at every humiliation of Pandavas and Draupadi.

11. Karna was involved in the plan of sending Durvasa to Pandavas to give them curse.

12. Karna suggested the plan to Duryodhan to visit the forest for hunting and to make a show off of wealth and pleasure in front of poor Pandavas to further humiliate them.

13. Karna was surrounded and was defeated by Gandharvas and failed to save Duryodhan and he even ran away from the spot.

14. Karna many times abused Bhishma, Drona, Kripa and Vidur in front of them and on their back to Dhritarashtra raising question marks against their loyalty and impartiality and always encouraged Duryodhan for war.

15. Karna was not Danveer throughout his life out of his generosity but he vowed to follow Asur vrat during Pandavas' exile years (just a couple of years before war). As per this strict vrat, he couldn't say no to person coming to him with some demand which he could fulfil. He followed charity due to this vrat only which he took to be able to defeat Arjun (so it was with ambitions and ill intentions and was followed only for few years of life).

16. Karna gave his kavach kundal in charity to Indra to continue following his vrat but in return asked a dart or arrow which couldn't be countered in order to kill his invincible enemy. He agreed to give Kavach Kundal only under the condition of this exchange and not otherwise.

17. Karna was defeated by Arjun in Virat war and at that time, he did not have his kavach kundal but did have the shakti given by Indra which he could only use as last option when no other weapons work.

18. Karna gave promise to Kunti not to kill 4 Pandavas to follow his vrat but didn't give promise to spare Arjun because that was the very purpose for which he took the vow (and now he even knew that Arjun was his brother).

19. Krishna himself called Duryodhan a tree of adharma/evil and Karna to be the trunk of that tree (when he came on peace visit of Hastinapur).

20. Karna was involved in the plan of making Krishna on his peace visit a prisoner of Hastinapur.

21. Karna even boasted that he would win the war for Duryodhan by killing Arjun and even Krishna along with him.

22. Karna knew about his origin and birth story before Krishna told him. It was not Krishna who revealed his secret to him to make him emotionally weak.

23. Karna himself arrogantly opted out to fight under Bhishma and he even thought and uttered the words that he would be eager to enter the battle the moment Bhishma is slayed.

24. Karna was not weaponless when he was killed. Krishna didn't tell Arjun to break any rules. It was Karna who stopped Arjun until he could adjust the wheel and asked Arjun to obey the rules of war. Krishna directly addressed Karna and asked how he, who didn't observe any rules of morality during his lifeime, is expecting others to obey the rules of war. Karna continued fighting in rage after hearing these words and Arjun slayed him. So no rule was broken.

25. His love story with Vrushali is shown in detail in the TV serial which is not part of the epic but part of the novel written on him which completely made a hero of a villain just to create false sympathy.

Some facts about Karna: KMG extracts

[All KMG extracts are written in green. Highlighted parts are in bold. My additions & corrections are in red. Original Sanskrit verses are written in blue & meanings are in green. Reference of BR Chopra and Star Plus MB are in orange.]

P.S. Sorry guys I can't post without bold despite trying again and again. Even if I am giving the command of no bold fonts, it gives all the bold fonts for Aadi Parva and Sabha Parva posts so for those two Parvas, I had to make a compromise by showing highlighted parts using underline and everything in bold. The formatting of all posts will not stay uniform but I can't help it.😡

Aadi Parva

After Bheem was poisoned:

When that terrible poison intended for the destruction of Bhima failed of its effect, Duryodhana, Karna and Sakuni, without giving up their wicked design had recourse to numerous other contrivances for accomplishing the death of the Pandavas. And though every one of these contrivances was fully known to the Pandavas, yet in accordance with the advice of Vidura they suppressed their indignation.

No involvement of Karna shown in the conspiracy as per BRC (BR Chopra) or SP (Star Plus) (which actually was).

In the tutorial of Drona:

Then Drona endued with great prowess taught the sons of Pandu (the use of) many weapon both celestial and human. And, O bull of the Bharata race, many other princes also flocked to that best of Brahmanas for instruction in arms. The Vrishnis and the Andhakas, and princes from various lands, and the (adopted) son of Radha of the Suta caste, (Karna), all became pupils of Drona. But of them all, the Suta child Karna, from jealousy, frequently defied Arjuna, and supported by Duryodhana, used to disregard the Pandavas.

BRC (Episode 22): Adhirath takes Karna to Dron Gurukul but Dron rejects him on the grounds of he being neither Kshatriya nor Prince. The show portrays as if he was treated unjustly by people due to his caste (But actually his caste was a mixture of Brahmin and Kshatriya only. In the epic, he was only denied the teaching of Brahmastra on the ground of he neither being pure Brahmin nor Kshatriya who was required to go hard pennance.).

SP: Karna himself goes to Dron's Gurukul but Dron rejects him for being a sootaputra. This show portrays as if he was treated as a lower caste boy and was rejected by everyone to learn archery (even Bhishma did not support his archery in Hastinapur), also Adhirath and Radha tried to convince him to leave the dream of archery-learning.

War with King Drupad as Dron's Gurudakshina (Karna as a warrior):

But the mighty bowman, Prishata's son, invincible in battle, though very much pierced with the arrows of the enemy, instantly began, O Bharata, to afflict the hostile ranks with greater vigour. And careering over the field of battle like a fiery wheel, king Drupada with his arrows smote Duryodhana and Vikarna and even the mighty Karna and many other heroic princes and numberless warriors, and slaked their thirst for battle. Then all the citizens showered upon the Kurus various missiles like clouds showering rain-drops upon the earth. Young and old, they all rushed to battle, assailing the Kurus with vigour. The Kauravas, then, O Bharata, beholding the battle become frightful, broke and fled wailing towards the Pandavas.

BRC (Episode 25): Karna goes to fight along with Kauravas to assist them (Despite he is not Dron's student as per the serial) and is defeated by Drupad (The episode is after Rangbhoomi).

SP: Karna doesn't go to fight with Drupad so he is not shown as defeated in a war (As per the epic, he was defeated).

After Yudhishthira was made crown prince (Jatugriha Parva):

Vaisampayana said, 'Then the son of Suvala (Sakuni), king Duryodhana, Duhsasana and Kama*, in consultation with one another, formed an evil conspiracy. With the sanction of Dhritarashtra, the king of the Kurus, they resolved to burn to death Kunti and her (five) sons.

[*Kama : It should be Karna]

Vaisampayana said, 'O chastiser of all foes, listen to me, O monarch, as I recite the (history of the) burning of the house of lac and the escape of the Pandavas. The wicked Duryodhana, beholding Bhimasena surpass (everybody) in strength and Arjuna highly accomplished in arms became pensive and sad. Then Karna, the offspring of the Sun, and Sakuni, the son of Suvala, endeavoured by various means to compass the death of the Pandavas. The Pandavas too counteracted all those contrivances one after another, and in obedience to the counsels of Vidura, never spoke of them afterwards.

Vaisampayana continued, "King Dhritarashtra whose knowledge only was his eyes, on hearing these words of his son and recollecting everything that Kanika had, said unto him, became afflicted with sorrow, and his mind also thereupon began to waver. Then Duryodhana and Karna, and Sakuni, the son of Suvala, and Duhsasana as their fourth, held a consultation together. Prince Duryodhana said unto Dhritarashtra, 'Send, O father, by some clever contrivance, the Pandavas to the town of Varanavata. We shall then have no fear of them.'

BRC (Episode 29): Karna is not shown as involved in any conspiracy plans of Lakshagruh (which he actually was as per the epic) but on the contrary he is angry and protests and shows his unhappiness to Duryodhan.

SP: Karna is not shown as involved in any such plan as burning of Lac palace and he is shown very emotional and even cries for what was going to happen.

At Draupadi swayamvar (Karna as a warrior):

Then the illustrious Arjuna beholding Karna, the son of Vikartana (Surya), advancing towards him, drew his tough bow and pieced him with his sharp arrows. And the impetus of those whetted arrows furnished with fierce energy made Radheya (Karna) faint. Recovering consciousness Karna attacked Arjuna with greater care than before. Then Karna and Arjuna, both foremost of victorious warriors, desirous of vanquishing each other, fought madly on. And such was the lightness of hand they both displayed that (each enveloped by the other's shower of arrows) they both became invisible (unto the spectators of their encounter). 'Behold the strength of my arms.'--'Mark, how I have counteracted that feat,'--those were the words--intelligible to heroes alone--in which they addressed each other. And incensed at finding the strength and energy of Arjuna's arms unequalled on the earth, Karna, the son of Surya, fought with greater vigour. And parrying all those impetuous arrows shot at him by Arjuna, Karna sent up a loud shout. And this feat of his was applauded by all the warriors. Then addressing his antagonist, Karna said, 'O thou foremost of Brahmanas, I am gratified to observe the energy of thy arms that knoweth no relaxation in battle and thy weapons themselves fit for achieving victory. Art thou the embodiment of the science of weapons, or art thou Rama that best of Brahmanas, or Indra himself, or Indra's younger brother Vishnu called also Achyuta, who for disguising himself hath assumed the form of a Brahmana and mustering such energy of arms fighteth with me? No other person except the husband himself of Sachi or Kiriti, the son of Pandu, is capable of fighting with me when I am angry on the field of battle.' Then hearing those words of his, Phalguna replied, saying, 'O Karna, I am neither the science of arms (personified), nor Rama endued with superhuman powers. I am only a Brahmana who is the foremost of all warriors and all wielders of weapons. By the grace of my preceptor I have become accomplished in the Brahma and the Paurandara weapons. I am here to vanquish thee in battle. Therefore, O hero, wait a little.'

"Vaisampayana continued, 'Thus addressed (by Arjuna), Karna the adopted son of Radha desisted from the fight, for that mighty chariot-fighter thought that Brahma energy is ever invincible.

BRC (Episode 35): Karna only attempts to fight and his bow is broken immediately and then he never tries again. There is no long lasting battle.

SP: Karna did not fight with Arjun in swayamvar sabha.

Discussions about giving half kingdom to Pandavas after Draupadi swayamvar:

Hearing these words of Vidura, Dhritarashtra said, 'Those children are to me as dear as they were to Pandu. Nay, more. O listen to me why my affection for them now is even greater! The heroic sons of Pandu are well and at ease. They have obtained many friends. Their relatives, and others whom they have gained as allies, are all endued with great strength. Who amongst monarchs in prosperity or adversity would not like to have Drupada with his relatives as an ally?'

"Vaisampayana continued, 'Having heard these words of the monarch, Vidura said, 'O king, let thy understanding remain so without change for a hundred years!' Having said this Vidura returned to his own abode. Then, O monarch, there came unto Dhritarashtra, Duryodhana and the son of Radha, Karna. Addressing the monarch, they said, 'We cannot, O king, speak of any transgression in the presence of Vidura! We have now found thee alone, and will, therefore, say all we like! What is this that thou hast, O monarch, desired to do? Dost thou regard the prosperity of thy foes as if it were thy own, that thou hast been applauding the Pandavas, O foremost of men, in the presence of Vidura? O sinless one, thou actest not, O king, in the way thou shouldst! O father, we should now act every day in such a way as to weaken (the strength of) the Pandavas. The time hath come, O father, for us to take counsel together, so that the Pandavas may not swallow us all with our children and friends and relatives.'

Duryodhana said. 'Let us, O father, by means of trusted and skilful and adroit Brahmanas, seek to produce dissensions between the sons of Kunti and Madri. Or, let king Drupada and his sons, and all his ministers of state, be plied with presents of large wealth, so that they may abandon the cause of Yudhishthira, the son of Kunti. Or, let our spies induce the Pandavas to settle in Drupada's dominions, by describing to them, separately, the inconvenience of residing in Hastinapura, so that, separated from as, they may permanently settle in Panchala. Or, let some clever spies, full of resources, sowing the seeds of dissension among the Pandavas, make them jealous of one another. Or, let them incite Krishna against her husbands. She has many lords and this will not present any difficulty. Or, let some seek to make the Pandavas themselves dissatisfied with Krishna, in which case Krishna also will be dissatisfied with them. Or, let, O king, some clever spies, repairing thither, secretly compass the death of Bhimasena. Bhima is the strongest of them all. Relying upon Bhima alone, the Pandavas used to disregard us, of old. Bhima is fierce and brave and the (sole) refuge of the Pandavas. If he be slain, the others will be deprived of strength and energy. Deprived of Bhima who is their sole refuge, they will no longer strive to regain their kingdom. Arjuna, O king, is invincible in battle, if Bhima protecteth him from behind. Without Bhima, Arjuna is not equal to even a fourth part of Radheya. Indeed, O king, the Pandavas conscious of their own feebleness without Bhima and of our strength would not really strive to recover the kingdom. Or, if, O monarch, coming hither, they prove docile and obedient to us, we would then seek to repress them according to the dictates of political science (as explained by Kanika). Or, we may tempt them by means of handsome girls, upon which the princess of Panchala will get annoyed with them. Or, O Radheya, let messengers be despatched to bring them hither, so that, when arrived, we may through trusted agents, by some of the above methods, cause them to be slain. Strive, O father, to employ any of these (various) methods that may appear to thee faultless. Time passeth. Before their confidence in king Drupada--that bull amongst kings--is established we may succeed, O monarch, to encounter them. But after their confidence hath been established in Drupada, we are sure to fail. These, O father, are my views for the discomfiture of the Pandavas. Judge whether they be good or bad. What, O Karna, dost thou think?'"

Vaisampayana said, 'Thus addressed by Duryodhana, Karna said, 'It doth not seem to me, O Duryodhana, that thy reasoning is well-founded. O perpetuator of the Kuru race, no method will succeed against the Pandavas. O brave prince, thou hast before, by various subtle means, striven to carry out thy wishes. But ever hast thou failed to slay thyfoes. They were then living near thee, O king! They were then unfledged and of tender years, but thou couldst not injure them then. They are now living at a distance, grown up, full-fledged. The sons of Kunti, O thou of firm resolution, cannot now be injured by any subtle contrivances of thine. This is my opinion. As they are aided by the very Fates, and as they are desirous of regaining their ancestral kingdom, we can never succeed in injuring them by any means in our power. It is impossible to create disunion amongst them. They can never be disunited who have all taken to a common wife. Nor can we succeed in estranging Krishna from the Pandavas by any spies of ours. She chose them as her lords when they were in adversity. Will she abandon them now that they are in prosperity? Besides women always like to have many husbands, Krishna hath obtained her wish. She can never be estranged from the Pandavas. The king of Panchala is honest and virtuous; he is not avaricious. Even if we offer him our whole kingdom he will not abandon the Pandavas. Drupada's son also possesseth every accomplishment, and is attached to the Pandavas. Therefore, I do not think that the Pandavas can now be injured by any subtle means in thy power. But, O bull amongst men, this is what is good and advisable for us now, viz., to attack and smite them till they are exterminated. Let this course recommend itself to thee. As long as our party is strong and that of the king of the Panchalas is weak, so long strike them without any scruple. O son of Gandhari, as long as their innumerable vehicles and animals, friends, and friendly tribes are not mustered together, continue, O king, to exhibit thy prowess. As long as the king of the Panchalas together with his sons gifted with great prowess, setteth not his heart upon fighting with us, so long, O king, exhibit thy prowess. And, O king, exert thy prowess before he of the Vrishni race (Krishna) cometh with the Yadava host into the city of Drupada, carrying everything before him, to restore the Pandavas to their paternal kingdom. Wealth, every article of enjoyment, kingdom, there is nothing that Krishna may not sacrifice for the sake of the Pandavas. The illustrious Bharata had acquired the whole earth by his prowess alone. Indra hath acquired sovereignty of the three worlds by prowess alone. O king, prowess is always applauded by the Kshatriyas. O bull amongst Kshatriyas, prowess is the cardinal virtue of the brave. Let us, therefore, O monarch, with our large army consisting of four kinds of forces, grind Drupada without loss of time, and bring hither the Pandavas. Indeed, the Pandavas are incapable of being discomfited by any policy of conciliation, of gift, of wealth and bribery, or of disunion. Vanquish them, therefore, by thy prowess. And vanquishing them by thy prowess, rule thou this wide earth. O monarch, I see not any other means by which we may accomplish our end.'

[After that, Bhishma & Drona supported Pandavas. Bhishma said, "Give half the kingdom unto them."

Drona said, "Let them then be installed on their paternal throne, agreeably to the wishes of the people of the realm."

Then Karna started to speak.]

Vaisampayana continued, 'After Drona had ceased, Karna spake again, 'Both Bhishma and Drona have been pampered with wealth that is thine and favours conferred by thee! They are also always regarded by thee as thy trusted friends! What can therefore be more amusing than that they both should give thee advice which is not for thy good? How can the wise approve that advice which is pronounced good by a person speaking with wicked intent but taking care to conceal the wickedness of his heart? Indeed, in a season of distress, friends can neither benefit nor injure. Every one's happiness or the reverse dependeth on destiny. He that is wise and he that is foolish, he that is young (in years) and he that is old, he that hath allies and he that hath none, all become, it is seen everywhere, happy or unhappy at times. It hath been heard by us that there was, of old, a king by name Amvuvicha. Having his capital at Rajagriha, he was the king of all the Magadha chiefs. He never attended to his affairs. All his exertion consisted in inhaling the air. All his affairs were in the hands of his minister. And his minister, named Mahakarni, became the supreme authority in the state. Regarding himself all powerful, he began to disregard the king. And the wretch himself appropriated everything belonging unto the king, his queens and treasures and sovereignty. But the possession of all these, instead of satisfying his avarice, only served to inflame him the more. Having appropriated everything belonging to the king, he even coveted the throne. But it hath been heard by us that with all his best endeavours he succeeded not in acquiring the kingdom of the monarch, his master, even though the latter was inattentive to business and content with only breathing the air. What else can be said, O king, than that monarch's sovereignty was dependent on destiny? If, therefore, O king, this kingdom be established in thee by destiny, it will certainly continue in thee, even if the whole world were to become thy enemy! If, however, destiny hath ordained otherwise, howsoever mayest thou strive, it will not last in thee! O learned one, remembering all this, judge of the honesty or otherwise of thy advisers. Ascertain also who amongst them are wicked and who have spoken wisely and well.'

Vaisampayana continued, 'Hearing these words of Karna, Drona replied, 'As thou art wicked it is evident thou sayest so in consequence of the wickedness of thy intent. It is for injuring the Pandavas that thou findest fault with us. But know, O Karna, what I have said is for the good of all and the prosperity of the Kuru race. If thou regardest all this as productive of evil, declare thyself what is for our good. If the good advice I have given be not followed, I think the Kurus will be exterminated in no time.'

Then Vidura spoke, "Hearing that the sons of Pritha are alive, the citizens and other subjects of the realm have become exceedingly glad and eager for beholding them. O monarch, act in a way that is agreeable to them. Duryodhana and Karna and Sakuni, the son of Suvala, are sinful, foolish and young; listen not to them. Possessed of every virtue thou art I long ago told thee, O monarch that for Duryodhana's fault, the subjects of this kingdom would be exterminated.

No involvement of Karna shown in the conspiracy as per BRC or SP.

Sabha Parva

In the dice hall: after Yudhishthira staked Draupadi:

Vaisampayana continued,--'When the intelligent king Yudhishthira the just has spoken thus,--'Fie!' 'Fie!' were the words that were uttered by all the aged persons that were in the assembly. And the whole conclave was agitated, and the kings who were present there all gave way to grief. And Bhishma and Drona and Kripa were covered with perspiration. And Vidura holding his head between his hands sat like one that had lost his reason. He sat with face downwards giving way to his reflections and sighing like a snake. But Dhritarashtra glad, at heart, asked repeatedly, 'Hath the stake been won?' 'Hath the stake been won?' and could not conceal his emotions. Karna with Dussassana and others laughed aloud, while tears began to flow from the eyes of all other present in the assembly. And the son of Suvala, proud of success and flurried with excitement and repeating. Thou hast one stake, dear to thee, etc. said,--'Lo! I have won' and took up the dice that had been cast.

BRC (Episode 46): Karna was involved in the game from Duryodhan's side and was getting evil satisfaction and laughter after every victory of Duryodhan.

SP: Karna only sitted in the sabha with a neutral expression in his face. He was put in stack by Duryodhana against Arjuna when he insulted Arjuna but refused to take his gaandiva bow after Arjuna became his slave.

After Draupadi was dragged into the court:

Vaisampayana continued,--"Thus did Krishna of slender waist cry in distress in that assembly. And casting a glance upon her enraged lords--the Pandavas--who were filled with terrible wrath, she inflamed them further with that glance of hers. And they were not so distressed at having been robbed of their kingdom, of their wealth, of their costliest gems, as with that glance of Krishna moved by modesty and anger. And Dussasana, beholding Krishna looking at her helpless lords, dragging her still more forcibly, and addressed her, 'Slave, Slave' and laughed aloud. And at those words Karna became very glad and approved of them by laughing aloud.

BRC (Episode 47): Not much focus of camera on Karna here

SP: Karna insults Draupadi as she rejected him in her swayamvar, also calls her a veshya or prostitute.

After Vikarna protested:

Hearing these words, a loud uproar rose from among those present in that assembly. And they all applauded Vikarna and censured the son of Suvala. And at that sound, the son of Radha, deprived of his senses by anger, waving his well-shaped arms, said these words,--'O Vikarna, many opposite and inconsistent conditions are noticeable in this assembly. Like fire produced from a faggot, consuming the faggot itself, this thy ire will consume thee. These personages here, though urged by Krishna, have not uttered a word. They all regard the daughter of Drupada to have been properly won. Thou alone, O son of Dhritarashtra in consequence of thy immature years, art bursting with wrath, for though but a boy thou speakest in the assembly as if thou wert old. O younger brother of Duryodhana, thou dost not know what morality truly is, for thou sayest like a fool that this Krishna who hath been (justly) won as not won at all. O son of Dhritarashtra, how dost thou regard Krishna as not won, when the eldest of the Pandavas before this assembly staked all his possessions? O bull of the Bharata race, Draupadi is included in all the possessions (of Yudhishthira). Therefore, why regardest thou Krishna who hath been justly won as not won? Draupadi had been mentioned (by Suvala) and approved of as a stake by the Pandavas. For what reason then dost thou yet regard her as not won? Or, if thou thinkest that bringing her hither attired in a single piece of cloth, is an action of impropriety, listen to certain excellent reasons I will give. O son of the Kuru race, the gods have ordained only one husband for one woman. This Draupadi, however, hath many husbands. Therefore, certain it is that she is an unchaste* woman. To bring her, therefore, into this assembly attired though she be in one piece of cloth--even to uncover her is not at all an act that may cause surprise. Whatever wealth the Pandavas had"she herself and these Pandavas themselves,--have all been justly won by the son of Suvala. O Dussasana, this Vikarna speaking words of (apparent) wisdom is but a boy. Take off the robes of the Pandavas as also the attire of Draupadi. Hearing these words the Pandavas, O Bharata, took of their upper garments and throwing them down sat in that assembly. Then Dussasana, O king, forcibly seizing Draupadi's attire before the eyes of all, began to drag it off her person.

[*unchaste: the original Sanskrit text has the clear word "Bandhaki Iti Vinishchita".

Bandhaki = a woman who lends or sells herself to any man, prostitute, wh**e, Iti = as, Vinishchita = certainly.

So Karna's actual saying was: "Certainly she is a wh**e."]

BRC (Episode 47): The dialog is - Mere mitra Duryodhan ki godi me baith jao.. 5 pati wali to tum pehle se hi ho. To chhathe ka haath paakad lene se haani hi kya? Jo stri 5-5 purushon ke sath rehti wo patni nahi veshya hoti hai. Aur veshya ka maan kya aur apmaan kya? Ye yahan nagn bhi layi jati tab bhi anuchit na hota. But he doesn't say anything directly addressing or stopping Vikarna.

SP: Karna says, "Chudaamani dhaaran kar lene se koi stri pavitra nahi ban jati. Veshya hoti hai aisi stri." Also Karna argued with Vikarna after he protested.

After the effort failed & Bheem uttered his oath of drinking Dusshashana's blood:

Vidura continued,--Let all the persons, therefore, present in this assembly hearing these high truths of morality, reflect upon what should be the answer to the question asked by Draupadi".

Vaisampayana continued,--"The kings that were there hearing these words of Vidura, answered not a word, yet Karna alone spoke unto Dussasana, telling him. Take away this serving-woman Krishna into the inner apartments. And thereupon Dussasana began to drag before all the spectators the helpless and modest Draupadi, trembling and crying piteously unto the Pandavas her lords.

No such dialog in either BRC or SP

After Bheem said "I would slay these wretched sons of Dhritarashtra...":

Karna said,--'Of all the persons in the assembly, three, viz., Bhishma, Vidura, and the preceptor of the Kurus (Drona) appear to be independent; for they always speak of their master as wicked, always censure him, and never wish for his prosperity. O excellent one, the slave, the son, and the wife are always dependent. They cannot earn wealth, for whatever they earn belongeth to their master. Thou art the wife of a slave incapable of possessing anything on his own account. Repair now to the inner apartments of king Dhritarashtra and serve the king's relatives. We direct that that is now thy proper business. And, O princess, all the sons of Dhritarashtra and not the sons of Pritha are now thy masters. O handsome one, select thou another husband now,--one who will not make thee a slave by gambling. It is well-known that women, especially that are slaves, are not censurable if they proceed with freedom in electing husbands. Therefore let it be done by thee. Nakula hath been won, as also Bhimasena, and Yudhishthira also, and Sahadeva, and Arjuna. And, O Yajnaseni, thou art now a slave. Thy husbands that are slaves cannot continue to be thy lords any longer. Alas, doth not the son of Pritha regards life, prowess and manhood as of no use that he offereth this daughter of Drupada, the king of Panchala, in the presence of all this assembly, as a stake at dice?'

[A sentence is missing here. In Karna's speech there is another verse in original text:

"Parimita Patikat Daarbhavat Anantapatikam Daasyam Iva Tava Astu Iti"

Parimita = limited number, Patikat = of husbands, Daarbhavat = from being wife/ instead of being wife, Anantapatikam = infinite number of husbands, Daasyam Iva = like slave/servant (here a maid, daasi), Tava Astu Iti = may you be it.

So that verse means: May you be the slave (daasi) of infinite number of husbands (kauravas & their supporters like Karna himself) from (instead of) being wife of limited number of husbands (Pandavas)]

BRC (Episode 47): Mere mitra Duryodhan ki godi me baith jao.. 5 pati wali to tum pehle se hi ho. To chhathe ka haath paakad lene se haani hi kya? Jo stri 5-5 purushon ke sath rehti wo patni nahi veshya hoti hai. Aur veshya ka maan kya aur apmaan kya? Ye yahan nagn bhi layi jati tab bhi anuchit na hota. But he doesn't say anything directly addressing or stopping Vikarna.

SP: Duryodhana only continuously told Draupadi daasi and invited her to make a relationship with him (aao mere sath sambandh banao) but no such words here from Karna.

When Duryodhana showed his thigh to Draupadi:

Vaisampayana continued,--"Hearing these words of Bhimasena king Duryodhana addressed Yudhishthira who was silent and deprived of his senses, saying,--'O king, both Bhima and Arjuna, and the twins also, are under thy sway. Answer thou the question (that hath been asked by Draupadi). Say, whether thou regardest Krishna as unwon.' And having spoken thus unto the son of Kunti, Duryodhana. desirous of encouraging the son of Radha and insulting Bhima, quickly uncovered his left thigh that was like unto the stem of a plantain tree or the trunk of an elephant and which was graced with every auspicious sign and endued with the strength of thunder, and showed it to Draupadi in her very sight.

[A part is missing here. After Duryodhan showed his thigh, "abhyutsmayitwa Radheyam", means "Karna laughed"]

BRC (Episode 47): Mere mitra Duryodhan ki godi me baith jao.. 5 pati wali to tum pehle se hi ho. To chhathe ka haath paakad lene se haani hi kya? Jo stri 5-5 purushon ke sath rehti wo patni nahi veshya hoti hai. Aur veshya ka maan kya aur apmaan kya? Ye yahan nagn bhi layi jati tab bhi anuchit na hota. But he doesn't say anything directly addressing or stopping Vikarna.

SP: No dialog from Karna after Duryodhan invited Draupadi to make relationship with him.

After Draupadi made Pandavas free:

Karna said,--'We have never heard of such an act (as this one of Draupadi), performed by any of the women noted in this world for their beauty. When the sons of both Pandu and Dhritarashtra were excited with wrath, this Draupadi became unto the sons of Pandu as their salvation. Indeed the princess of Panchala, becoming as a boat unto the sons of Pandu who were sinking in a boatless ocean of distress, hath brought them in safety to the shore.'

BRC (Episode 48): This dialog comes inside the dice hall only immediately after Panchali getting the kingdom back from Dhritarashtra.

SP: No such dialog from Karna here.

After the first dice game:

Janamejaya said,--"How did the sons of Dhritarashtra feel, when they came to know that the Pandavas had, with Dhritarashtra's leave, left Hastinapore with all their wealth and jewels?"

Vaisampayana said,--"O king, learning that the Pandavas had been commanded by the wise Dhritarashtra to return to their capital, Dussasana went without loss of time unto his brother. And, O bull of the Bharata race, having arrived before Duryodhana with his counsellor, the prince, afflicted with grief, began to say,--'Ye mighty warriors, that which we had won after so much trouble, the old man (our father) hath thrown away. Know ye that he hath made over the whole of that wealth to the foes. At these words, Duryodhana and Karna and Sakuni, the son of Suvala, all of whom were guided by vanity, united together, and desirous of counteracting the sons of Pandu, approaching in haste saw privately the wise king Dhritarashtra--the son of Vichitravirya and spake unto him these pleasing and artful words.

No such involvement of Karna in explaining Dhritarashtra shown in either of the shows.

After Pandavas went for exile:

Sanjaya said,' The handsome Krishna, then in her season, attired in one piece of stained cloth when brought into the court cast her eyes upon the Pandavas. She beheld them, however, robbed of their wealth, of their kingdom, of even their attire, of their beauty, of every enjoyment, and plunged into a state of bondage. Bound by the tie of virtue, they were then unable to exert their prowess. And before all the assembled kings Duryodhana and Karna spake cruel and harsh words unto the distressed and enraged Krishna undeserving of such treatment. O monarch, all this appeareth to me as foreboding fearful consequences.'

No such confrontation of Karna is shown in either of the shows.

Van Parva

In the meeting after Pandavas left for exile:

Sakuni said, 'O king, O lord of the earth, what folly hath taken possession of thee! The Pandavas have gone to the forest, having given a particular pledge, so that what thou apprehendest can never take place! O bull of the Bharata race, the Pandavas ever abide by the truth. They will never, therefore, accept the words of thy father! If however, accepting the commands of the king, they come back to the capital, violating their vow, even this would be our conduct, viz., assuming, an aspect of neutrality, and in apparent obedience to the will of the monarch, we will closely watch the Pandavas, keeping our counsels!'

"Dussasana said, 'O uncle of great intelligence, it is even as thou sayest! The words of wisdom thou utterest always recommend themselves to me!'"Karna said, 'O Duryodhana, all of us seek to accomplish thy will and, O king, I see that unanimity at present prevaileth among us! The sons of Pandu, with passions under complete control, will never return without passing away the promised period. If, however, they do return from failing sense, do thou defeat them again at dice.'

Vaisampayana said, 'Thus addressed by Karna, king Duryodhana with cheerless heart, averted his face from his counsellors. Marking all this, Karna expanding his beautiful eyes, and vehemently gesticulating in anger, haughtily addressed Duryodhana and Dussasana and Suvala's son saying, 'Ye princes, know ye my opinion! We are all servants of the king (Duryodhana) waiting upon him with joined palms! We should, therefore, do what is agreeable to him! But we are not always able to seek his welfare with promptness and activity (owing to our dependence on Dhritarashtra)! But let us now, encased in mail and armed with our weapons, mount our cars and go in a body to slay the Pandavas now living in the forest! After the Pandavas have been quieted and after they have gone on the unknown journey, both ourselves and the sons of Dhritarashtra will find peace! As long as they are in distress, as long as they are in sorrow, as long as they are destitute of help, so long are we a match for them! This is my mind!'

No such suggestion of Karna is shown in either of the shows.

Ghosh yatra parva (planning of the Gandharva incident):

Vaisampayana said, "Hearing those words of Dhritarashtra, Sakuni, when the opportunity presented itself, aided by Kama*, spoke unto Duryodhana these words, 'Having exiled the heroic Pandavas by thy own prowess, O Bharata, rule thou this earth without a rival like the slayer of Samvara ruling the heaven! O monarch, the kings of the east, the south, the west, and the north, have all been made tributory to thee! O lord of earth, that blazing Prosperity which had before paid her court to the sons of Pandu, hath now been acquired by thee along with thy brothers! That blazing Prosperity, O king, which we not many days ago saw with heavy hearts in Yudhishthira at Indraprastha, is today seen by us to be owned by thee, she having, O mighty-armed monarch, been snatched by thee from the royal Yudhishthira by force of intellect alone. O slayer of hostile heroes, all the kings of the earth now living in subjection to thee, await thy commands, as they did before under Yudhishthira, awaiting his. O monarch, the goddess Earth with her boundless extent with girth of seas, with her mountains and forests, and towns and cities and mines, and decked with woodlands and hills is now thine! Adored by the Brahmanas and worshipped by the kings, thou blazest forth, O king, in consequence of thy prowess, like the Sun among the gods in heaven! Surrounded by the Kurus, O king, like Yama by the Rudra, or Vasava by the Maruts, thou shinest, O monarch, like the Moon among the stars! Let us, therefore, O king, go and look at the sons of Pandu--them who are now divested of prosperity, them who never obeyed commands, them who never owed subjection! It hath been heard by us, O monarch, that the Pandavas are now living on the banks of the lake called Dwaitavana, with a multitude of Brahmanas, having the wilderness for their home. Go thither, O king, in all thy prosperity, scorching the son of Pandu with a sight of thy glory, like the Sun scorching everything with his hot rays! Thyself a sovereign and they divested of sovereignty, thyself in prosperity and they divested of it, thyself possessing affluence and they in poverty, behold now, O king, the sons of Pandu. Let the sons of Pandu behold thee like Yayati, the son of Nahusha, accompanied by a large train of followers and enjoying bliss that is great. O king, that blazing Prosperity which is seen by both one's friends and foes, is regarded as well-bestowed! What happiness can be more complete than that which he enjoyeth who while himself in prosperity, looketh upon his foes in adversity, like a person on the hill top looking down upon another crawling on the earth? O tiger among kings, the happiness that one derives from beholding his foes in grief, is greater than what one may derive from the acquisition of offering or wealth or kingdom! What happiness will not be his who, himself in affluence, will cast his eyes on Dhananjaya attired in barks and deer-skins? Let thy wife dressed in costly robes look at the woeful Krishna clad in barks and deer-skins, and enhance the latter's grief! Let the daughter of Drupada reproach herself and her life, divested as she is of wealth, for the sorrow that she will feel upon beholding thy wife decked in ornaments will be far greater than what she had felt in the midst of the assembly (when Dussasana had dragged her there)!"

Vaisampayana continued, "Having thus spoken unto the king, Karna and Sakuni both remained silent, O Janamejaya, after their discourse was over."

Vaisampayana said, "Having heard these words of Karna, king Duryodhana became highly pleased. Soon after, however, the prince became melancholy and addressing the speaker said, 'What thou tellest me, O Karna, is always before my mind.

[*Kama: it should be Karna]

And as soon as the night had passed away, Karna came to the king. And coming to him, Karna smilingly spoke unto Duryodhana, saying, 'A plan hath been contrived by me. Listen to it, O lord of men! Our herds are now waiting in the woods of Dwaitavana in expectation of thee! Without doubt, we may all go there under the pretext of supervising our cattle stations, for, O monarch, it is proper that kings should frequently repair to their cattle stations. If this be the motive put forth, thy father, O prince, will certainly grant thee permission!' And while Duryodhana and Karna were thus conversing laughingly, Sakuni addressed them and said, 'This plan, free from difficulties, was what I also saw for going thither! The king will certainly grant us permission, or even send us thither of his own accord. Our herds are now all waiting in the woods of Dwaitavana expecting thee. Without doubt, we may all go there under the pretext of supervising our cattle stations!'

"They then all three laughed together, and gave their hands unto one another. And having arrived at that conclusion, they went to see the chief of Kurus.

BRC (Episode 51): Such plan is suggested by Shakuni to everyone (In the epic it is clearly Karna's suggestion).

SP: Gandharva incident was completely skipped in the show.

The war of Karna with Gandharvas:

"And seeing the Gandharva host yielding to fear, the angry Chitrasena sprang from his seat, resolved to exterminate the Kuru army. And conversant with various modes of warfare, he waged on the fight, aided by his weapons of illusion. And the Kaurava warriors were then all deprived of their senses by the illusion of Chitrasena. And then, O Bharata, it seemed that every warrior of the Kuru army was fallen upon and surrounded by ten Gandharvas. And attacked with great vigour, the Kuru host was greatly afflicted and struck with panic. O king, all of them that liked to live, fled from the field. But while the entire Dhritarashtra host broke and fled, Karna, that offspring of the Sun, stood there, O king, immovable as a hill. Indeed, Duryodhana and Karna and Sakuni, the son of Suvala, all fought with the Gandharvas, although every one of them was much wounded and mangled in the encounter. All the Gandharvas then, desirous of slaying Karna, rushed together by hundreds and thousands towards Karna. And those mighty warriors, desirous of slaying the Suta's son, surrounded him on all sides, with swords and battle-axes and spears. And some cut down the yoke of his car, and some his flagstaff, and some the shaft of his car, and some his horses, and some his charioteer. And some cut down his umbrella and some the wooden fender round his car and some the joints of his car. It was thus that many thousands of Gandharvas, together attacking his car, broke it into minute fragments. And while his car was thus attacked, Karna leaped therefrom with sword and shield in hand, and mounting on Vikarna's car, urged the steeds for saving himself."

BRC (Episode 51): There is no war of Karna with Gandharvas shown and hence no defeat is shown. He was drunk when Gandharvas captured Duryodhan and went to save him after regaining consciousness but was late in reaching after Pandavas had already saved Duryodhan. And Gandharvas were shown as ordinary tribal people (Similar to kabilas or circus troops) with their Mukhiya.

SP: No Gandharva incident is shown and thus no defeat of Karna is shown ever thus far in the show (Not in Drupad war, not in Draupadi swayamvar and not here).

After Duryodhana was saved by Pandavas:

And as the king Duryodhana was seated on an elevated bedstead endued with the effulgence of fire, himself looking like the moon under an eclipse, towards the small hours of the morning Karna, approaching him, said, 'Fortunate it is, O son of Gandhari, that thou art alive! Fortunate it is, that we have once more met! By good luck it is that thou hast vanquished the Gandharvas capable of assuming any form at will. And, O son of the Kuru race, it is by good luck alone, that I am enabled to see thy brothers-- mighty warriors all--come off victorious from that encounter, having subjugated their foes! As regards myself, assailed by all the Gandharvas, I fled before thy eyes, unable to rally our flying host. Assailed by the foe with all his might, my body mangled with their arrows, I sought safety in flight. This however, O Bharata, seemed to me to be a great marvel that I behold you all come safe and sound in body, with your wives, troops, and vehicles, out of that super-human encounter. O Bharata, there is another man in this world who can achieve what thou, O king, hast achieved in battle to-day with thy brothers.

[After knowing the actual fact & seeing Duryodhana in grief, Karna spoke again.]

"And beholding Dussasana and Duryodhana thus weeping, Karna in great grief approached them both and said, 'Ye, Kuru princes, why do you thus yield to sorrow like ordinary men, from senselessness? Mere weeping can never ease a sorrowing man's grief. When weeping can never remove one's griefs, what do you gain by thus giving way to sorrow? Summon patience to your aid to not gladden the foe by such conduct. O king, the Pandavas only did their duty in liberating thee. They that reside in the dominions of the king, should always do what is agreeable to the king. Protected by thee, the Pandavas are residing happily in thy dominion. It behoveth thee not to indulge in such sorrow like an ordinary person. Behold, thy uterine brothers are all sad and cheerless at seeing thee resolved to put an end to thy life by forgoing food. Blest be thou! Rise up and come to thy city and console these thy uterine brothers."

"Kama* continued, 'O king, this conduct of thine to-day appeareth to be childish. O hero, O slayer of foes, what is to be wondered at in this that the Pandavas liberated thee when thou wert vanquished by the foe? O son of the Kuru race, those that reside in the territories of the king, especially those (amongst them) that lead the profession of arms, should always do what is agreeable to the king whether they happen to be known to their monarch or unknown to him. It happened often that foremost men who crush the ranks of the hostile host, are vanquished by them, and are rescued by their own troops. They that leading the profession of arms, reside in the king's realm should always combine and exert themselves to the best of their power, for the king. If, therefore, O king, the Pandavas, who live in the territories, have liberated thee, what is there to be regretted at in this? That the Pandavas, O best of kings, did not follow thee when thou didst march forth to battle at the head of thy troops, has been an improper act on their part. They had before this come under thy power, becoming thy slaves. They are, therefore, bound to aid thee now, being endued with courage and might and incapable of turning away from the field of battle. Thou art enjoying all the rich possessions of the Pandavas. Behold them yet alive, O king! They have not resolved to die, forgoing all food. Blest be thou! Rise up, O king! It behoveth thee not to indulge in great sorrow long. O king, it is the certain duty of those that reside in the king's realm to do what is agreeable to the king. Where should the regret be in all this? If thou, O king, dost not act according to my words I shall stay here employed in reverentially serving thy feet. O bull among men, I do not desire to live deprived of thy company. O king, if thou resolvest to slay thyself by forgoing food, thou wilt simply be an object of laughter with other kings."

BRC (Episode 51): Duryodhan was in grief after killing his servant and wanted to commit suicide and Karna explains him that Panavas only did their duties. So this is as per the epic. However he doesn't mention that Pandavas were made slaves of Duryodhan and Duryodhan anyhow could have ordered his slaves to save his life. Only the dialog of duty is there and not slavery.

SP: No Gandharva incident was shown in the show.

Karna's words about Bhishma:

And seeing them gone, Bhishma, the grandfather of the Kurus, hung down his head from shame, and then, O king, went to his own quarters. And, O mighty monarch, when Bhishma had left, that lord of men, Dhritarashtra's son came there again, and began to consult with his counsellors, 'What is it that is good for me? What remaineth to be done? And how we can most effectively bring about the good we shall discuss to-day.' Karna said, 'O Kuru's son, Duryodhana, do thou lay to heart tie words that I say. Bhishma always blameth us, and praiseth the Pandavas. And from the ill-will he beareth towards thee, he hateth me also. And, O lord of men, in thy presence he ever crieth me down. I shall never, O Bharata, bear these words that Bhishma had said in thy presence in relation to this matter, extolling the Pandavas, and censuring thee, O represser of foes! Do thou, O king, enjoin on me, together with servants, forces, and cars. I shall, O monarch, conquer the earth furnished with mountains and woods and forests. The earth had been conquered by the four powerful Pandavas. I shall, without doubt, conquer it for thee single-handed. Let that wretch of the Kuru race, the exceedingly wicked-minded Bhishma, see it,--he who vilifies those that do not deserve censure, and praises those that should not be praised. Let him this day witness my might, and blame himself. Do thou, O king, command me. Victory shall surely be thine. By my weapon, O monarch, I swear this before thee.'

In both the shows, there is no such specific abusing of Bhishma by Karna at this specific incident.

After Duryodhana performed the Vaishnava sacrifice:

And the Suta's son, rising up, said, 'By good luck it is, O foremost of the Bharata race, that this mighty sacrifice of thine hath been brought to a close. When, however, the sons of Pritha shall have been slain in battle and thou wilt have completed the Rajasuya sacrifice, once again, O lord of men, shall I honour thee thus.' Then that mighty king, the illustrious son of Dhritarashtra, replied unto him, 'Truly hath this been spoken by thee. When, O foremost of men, the wicked-minded Pandavas have been slain, and when also the grand Rajasuya hath been celebrated by me, then thou shalt again, O hero, honour me thus.' And having said this, O Bharata, the Kaurava embraced Karna, and began, O mighty king, to think of the Rajasuya, that foremost of sacrifices. And that best of kings also addressed the Kurus around him, saying, 'When shall I, ye Kauravas, having slain all the Pandavas, celebrate that costly and foremost of sacrifices, the Rajasuya.' Then spake Karna unto him, saying, 'Hear me, O elephant among kings! So long as I do not slay Arjuna, I shall not allow any one to wash my feet, nor shall I taste meat. And I shall observe the Asura vow and whoever may solicit me (for any thing), I never shall say, 'I have it not.' When Karna had thus vowed to slay Phalguna in battle, those mighty charioteers and bowmen, the sons of Dhritarashtra, sent up a loud cheer; and Dhritarashtra's sons thought that the Pandavas had already been conquered. Then that chief of kings, the graceful Duryodhana, leaving those bulls among men, entered his apartment, like the lord Kuvera entering the garden of Chitraratha. And all those mighty bowmen also, O Bharata, went to their respective quarters.

[In SECTION CLXXV, even before the serpent (king Nahusha) meets Bheema and Yudhishthira, it is written how many years of Pandavas' exile have been spent.

Vaisampayana said, "In company with that hero equal unto Indra, Arjuna--that foremost of men, sported in the pleasure-gardens of the lord of treasures (situated) in those woods on that romantic and excellent mountain. And surveying those peerless and various pleasure-grounds filled with diverse trees, that chief of men, Kiriti, ever intent upon arms, ranged at large, bow in hand. And having through the grace of king Vaisravana obtained a residence, those sons of a sovereign cared not for the prosperity of men. And, O king, that period of their (lives) passed peacefully. And having Partha in their company, they spent four years there even like a single night. And as the Pandavas lived in the wood, (these four years) and the former six, numbering ten, passed smoothly with them.

In the very next chapter after Duryodhana's sacrifice and Karna's Asura vow, after having a dream of deers of Dwaita van, Yudhishthira told his brothers about how much time was remaining then to fulfill 12 years exile.

Awaking after such a vision, that excellent king, moved by pity towards the deer, thus spake unto his brothers assembled there, 'Those deer that are alive after them that have been slaughtered, accosted me at night, after I had awakened, saying, 'We remain like the cues of our lines. Blest be thou! Do thou have compassion on us.' And they have spoken truly. We ought to feel pity for the dwellers of the forest. We have been feeding on them for a year together and eight months*. Let us, therefore, again (repair) to the romantic Kamyakas, that best of forests abounding in wild animals, situated at the head of the desert, near lake Trinavindu. And there let us pleasantly pass the rest of our time.'

*We have been feeding on them for a year together and eight months: the original verse is:

"Saashta Maasah Hi No Varshah Yad Enaan Upayunjmahe"

Here Upayunjmahe has loot vibhakti in uttam purush plural number. Loot vibhakti is always used for future tense. So it means "We will spend 1 year and 8 months"

So it cannot be past tense as translated here, it should be future only. As per the proof of SECTION CLXXV, already 10 years were passed and the current year was 11th year only during which Duryodhana performed the sacrifice and Karna took his vow.

So, it means, when Karna took his oath of charity, then there were 1 year & 8 months more to complete the exile of Pandavas. The charity was started from that time & was continued till his death.]

No such incident was shown in either of the shows. Karna is shown as Danveer by virtue of his greatness and not for the specific purpose of defeating Pandavas only for less than 2 years.

Planning of cursing Pandavas by Durvasa:

Vaisampayana continued, "Hearing these words of the great ascetic, Suyodhana felt himself to be inspired with new life. Indeed, it had been agreed upon between himself and Karna and Dussasana as to what the boon should be that he would ask of the Muni if the latter were pleased with his reception. And the evil-minded king, bethinking himself of what had previously been decided, joyfully solicited the following favour, saying, 'The great king Yudhishthira is the eldest and the best of our race. That pious man is now living in the forest with his brothers. Do thou, therefore, once become the guest of that illustrious one even as, O Brahmana, thou hast with thy disciples been mine for some time. If thou art minded to do me a favour, do thou go unto him at a time when that delicate and excellent lady, the celebrated princess of Panchala, after having regaled with food the Brahmanas, her husbands and herself, may lie down to rest.'

BRC (Episode 52): Such planning is made by Shakuni not Karna as per the show.

SP: Karna was not involved here.

When Karna gave his kavach-kundal to Indra:

Vaisampayana continued, "Although thus urged with various words by Karna, still, O chief of the Bharata race, that Brahmana did not ask for any other boon. And although Karna sought to pacify him to the best of his power, and worshipped him duly, yet that best of Brahmanas did not ask for any other boon. And when that foremost of Brahmanas did not ask for any other boon, Radha's son again spake unto him with a smile, 'My mail, O regenerate one, hath been born with my body, and this pair of ear-rings hath arisen from Amrita. It is for these that I am unslayable in the worlds. Therefore, I cannot part with them. Do thou, O bull among Brahmanas, accept from me the entire kingdom of the earth, rid of enemies and full of prosperity! O foremost of regenerate ones, if I am deprived of my ear-rings, and the mail born with my body, I shall be liable to be vanquished by the foes!'

Vaisampayana continued, "When the illustrious slayer of Paka refused to ask for any other boon, Kama* with a smile again addressed him, saying, 'O god of gods, even before this, I had recognised thee, O Lord! O Sakra, it is not proper for me to confer on thee any unprofitable boon, for thou art the very lord of the celestials! On the contrary, being as thou art the Creator and lord of all beings, it is thou that shouldst confer boons on me! If, O god, I give thee this coat of mail and ear-rings, then I am sure to meet with destruction, and thou shalt also undergo ridicule! Therefore, O Sakra, take my earrings and excellent mail in exchange for something conferred by thee on me! Otherwise, I will not bestow them on thee!' Thereupon Sakra replied, 'Even before I had come to thee, Surya had known of my purpose and without doubt, it is he that hath unfolded everything unto thee! O Karna, be it as thou wishest! O son, except the thunder-bolt alone, tell me what it is that thou desirest to have!'"

Vaisampayana continued, "Hearing these words of Indra, Karna was filled with delight and seeing that his purpose was about to be accomplished he approached Vasava, and intent upon obtaining a dart incapable of being baffled, he addressed Indra, saying, 'Do thou, O Vasava, in exchange for my coat of mail and ear-rings, give me a dart incapable of being baffled, and competent to destroy hosts of enemies when arrayed in order of battle!' Thereupon, O ruler of earth, fixing his mind for a moment on the dart (for bringing it there), Vasava thus spake unto Karna, 'Do thou give me thy ear-rings, and the coat of mail born with thy body, and in return take this dart on these terms! When I encounter the Daitya in battle, this dart that is incapable of being baffled, hurled by my hand, destroyeth enemies by hundreds, and cometh back to my hand after achieving its purpose. In thy hand, however, this dart, O son of Suta, will slay only one powerful enemy of thine. And having achieved that feat, it will, roaring and blazing, return to me!' Thereat Karna said, 'I desire to slay in fierce fight even one enemy of mine, who roareth fiercely and is hot as fire, and of whom I am in fear!' At this, Indra said, 'Thou shall slay such a roaring and powerful foe in battle. But that one whom thou seekest to slay, is protected by an illustrious personage. Even He whom persons versed in the Vedas call 'the invincible Boar,' and 'the incomprehensible Narayana,' even that Krishna himself, is protecting him!' Thereupon Karna replied, 'Even if this be so, do thou, O illustrious one give me the weapon that will destroy only one powerful foe! I shall, on my part, bestow on thee my mail and ear-rings, cutting them off my person. Do thou, however, grant that my body, thus wounded, may not be unsightly!' Hearing this, Indra said, 'As thou, O Karna, art bent upon observing the truth, thy person shall not be unsightly, or shall any scar remain on it. And, O thou best of those that are graced with speech, O Karna, thou shall be possessed of complexion and energy of thy father him self. And if, maddened by wrath, thou hurlest this dart, while there are still other weapons with thee, and when thy life also is not in imminent peril, it will fall even on thyself.' Karna answered, 'As thou directest me, O Sakra, I shall hurl this Vasavi dart only when I am in imminent peril! Truly I tell thee this!'"

BRC (Episode 65): This episode was shown in Udhyog Parva after Virat war and immediately after Vishwaroop Darshan and just before Krishna Karna meeting (Editing error because Karna then immediately meets Krishna in the next scene, who just came out of the court of Hastinapur after being insulted by Duryodhan). And Karna doesn't ask for any specific thing in return but only something in general as Shakti and Indra gives him the weapon. Also Karna gives his Kavach-Kundal immediately without asking anything in return (but in the epic, he offered the exchange first and very specifically the dart). But Indra forces him to ask something in return making his big praises and still Karna shows that he is not intended to take anything in exchange but won't redicule Indra in the eyes of the present and future. This is in slight contradiction with the epic.

SP: This incident was shown just on the verge of the war at Kurukshetra and Arjun tried to interfere creating drama and another drama was created by Nakul Sahdev curing Karna's pain at mata Kunti's orders.

Viraata Parva

Meeting after getting the news of Kichaka vadh (Go harana parva):

Vaisampayana said, 'Discomfited before, O monarch, many a time and oft by Matsya's Suta Kichaka aided by the Matsyas and the Salyas, the mighty king of the Trigartas, Susarman, who owned innumerable cars, regarding the opportunity to be a favourable one, then spoke the following words without losing a moment. And, O monarch, forcibly vanquished along with his relatives by the mighty Kichaka, king Susarman, eyeing Karna in askance, spoke these words unto Duryodhana, 'My kingdom hath many a time been forcibly invaded by the king of the Matsyas. The mighty Kichaka was that king's generalissimo. Crooked and wrathful and of wicked soul, of prowess famed over all the world, sinful in deeds and highly cruel, that wretch, however, hath been slain by the Gandharvas, Kichaka being dead, king Virata, shorn of pride and his refuge gone, will, I imagine, lose all courage I think, we ought now to invade that kingdom, if it pleases thee, O sinless one, as also the illustrious Karna and all the Kauravas. The accident that hath happened is, I imagine, a favourable one for us. Let us, therefore, repair to Virata's kingdom abounding in corn. We will appropriate his gems and other wealth of diverse kinds, and let us go to share with each other as regards his villages and kingdom. Or, invading his city by force, let us carry off by thousands his excellent kine of various species. Uniting, O king, the forces of the Kauravas and the Trigartas, let us lift his cattle in droves. Or, uniting our forces well, we will check his power by forcing him to sue for peace. Or, destroying his entire host, we will bring Matsya under subjection. Having brought him under subjection by just means, we will live in our kingdom happily, while thy power also will, without doubt, be enhanced.' Hearing these words of Susarman, Karna addressed the king, saying, 'Susarman hath spoken well; the opportunity is favourable and promises to be profitable to us. Therefore, if it pleases thee, O sinless one, let us, drawing up our forces in battle array and marshalling them in divisions, speedily set out. Or, let the expedition be managed as Saradwata's son Kripa, the preceptor Drona, and the wise and aged grandsire of the Kurus may think. Consulting with each other, let us, O lord of earth, speedily set out to attain our end. What business have we with the sons of Pandu, destitute as they are of wealth, might, and prowess? They have either disappeared for good or have gone to the abode of Yama? We will, O king, repair without anxiety to Virata's city, and plunder his cattle and other wealth of diverse kinds.'

BRC (Episode 58): After the death of Keechak, Karna suspects that only Bheem could have done that action and hence Pandavas must have been in Virat so Kauravas must invade Viraat kingdom to break the Agyatvas before time. The opportunity to win Viraat kingdom is only given as reason to Bhishma pitamah to convince him to allow and come.

SP: Keechak called Duryodhan & co to Viraat to bargain something and he was killed when Duryodhan & co was in Viraat only (Only Duryodhan, Dushshashan and Shakuni). Others only joined them in Viraat later and then the invasion was made.

At the battle field of Virata kingdom: Karna's words about Drona:

Hearing these words of Duryodhana, Karna said, 'Disregarding the preceptor, make all arrangements. He knoweth well the intentions of the Pandavas and striketh terror in our hearts. I see that his affection for Arjuna is very great. Seeing him only coming, he chanteth his praises. Make ye such arrangements that our troops may not break. Everything is in confusion for Drona's having only heard the neigh of (Arjuna's) steeds. Make ye such arrangements that these troops, come to a distant land in this hot season and in the midst of this mighty forest, may not fall into confusion and be subjugated by the foe. The Pandavas are always the special favourites of the preceptor. The selfish Pandavas have stationed Drona amongst us. Indeed, he betrayeth himself by his speech. Who would ever extol a person upon hearing the neigh only of his steeds? Horses always neigh, whether walking or standing, the winds blow at all times; and Indra also always showereth rain. The roar of the clouds may frequently be heard. What hath Partha to do with these, and why is he to be praised for these? All this (on Drona's part), therefore, is due only to either the desire of doing good to Arjuna or to his wrath and hatred towards us. Preceptors are wise, and sinless, and very kind to all creatures. They, however, should never be consulted at times of peril. It is in luxurious palaces, and assemblies and pleasure-gardens, that learned men, capable of making speeches, seem to be in their place. Performing many wonderful things, in the assembly, it is there that learned men find their place, or even there where sacrificial utensils and their proper placing and washing are needed. In a knowledge of the lapses of others, in studying the characters of men, in the science of horses and elephants and cars, in treating the diseases of asses and camels and goats and sheeps and kine, in planning buildings and gateways, and in pointing out the defects of food and drink, the learned are truly in their own sphere. Disregarding learned men that extol the heroism of the foe, make ye such arrangements that the foe may be destroyed. Placing the kine securely, array the troops in order of battle. Place guards in proper places so that we may fight the foe.'

BRC (Episode 59): Somewhat short and brief but similar dialog with both Drona and Krip by Karna over here. Hastinapur ke aachaaryon ka to dhang hi nirala. Wahan ke Guru yuddha bhumi me apne shishya ko saahas badhane ke sthaan par  shatru ke veerta ke bakhaan se unka saahas ghatane ka prayatna karte hai. Krip mainly and Drona as well as Bhishma all bluntly accept that Karna couldn't defeat Arjun and he would be easily beaten by Arjun in the battle.

SP: Karna said nothing against Drona and Krip. He suddenly came in the battle field and directly challenged Arjun.

Karna's battle with disguised Arjuna (Karna as a warrior):

And beholding the offender Karna, the son of Pandu, excited to fury, and glad also at having him, soon made him, his horses, his car, and car-driver invisible by means of a frightful shower of countless arrows. And the warriors of the Bharatas headed by Bhishma, with their horses, elephants, and cars, pierced by Kiritin and rendered invisible by means of his shafts, their ranks also scattered and broken, began to wail aloud in grief. The illustrious and heroic Karna, however counteracting with numberless arrows of his own those shafts by Arjuna's hand, soon burst forth in view with bow and arrows like a blazing fire. And then there arose the sound of loud clapping of hands, with the blare of conchs and trumpets and kettle-drums made by the Kurus while they applauded Vikartana's son who filled the atmosphere with the sound of his bow-string flapping against his fence. And beholding Kiritin filling the air with the twang of Gandiva, and the upraised tail of the monkey that constituted his flag and that terrible creature yelling furiously from the top of his flagstaff, Karna sent forth a loud roar. And afflicting by means of his shafts, Vikartana's son along with his steeds, car and car-driver, Kiritin impetuously poured an arrowy shower on him, casting his eyes on the grandsire and Drona and Kripa. And Vikartana's son also poured upon Partha a heavy shower of arrows like a rain-charged cloud. And the diadem-decked Arjuna also covered Karna with a thick down-pour of keen-edged shafts. And the two heroes stationed on their cars, creating clouds of keen-edged arrows in a combat carried on by means of countless shafts and weapons, appeared to the spectators like the sun and the moon covered by clouds, and the light-handed Karna, unable to bear the sight of the foe, pierced the four horses of the diadem-decked hero with whetted arrows, and then struck his car-driver with three shafts, and his flagstaff also with three. Thus struck, that grinder of all adversaries in battle, that bull of the Kuru race, Jishnu wielding the Gandiva, like a lion awaked from slumber, furiously attacked Kama by means of straight-going arrows. And afflicted by the arrowy shower (of Karna), that illustrious achiever of super-human deeds soon displayed a thick shower of arrows in return. And he covered Karna's car with countless shafts like the sun covering the different worlds with rays. And like a lion attacked by an elephant, Arjuna, taking some keen crescent-shaped arrows from out of his quiver and drawing his bow to his ear, pierced the Suta's son on every part of his body. And that grinder of foes pierced Karna's arms and thighs and head and forehead and neck and other principal parts of his body with whetted shafts endued with the impetuosity of the thunderbolt and shot from the Gandiva in battle. And mangled and afflicted by the arrows shot by Partha the son of Pandu, Vikartana's son, quitted the van of battle, and quickly took to flight, like one elephant vanquished by another.'

"Vaisampayana continued, 'Having said these words unto Karna, the invincible Vibhatsu rushed at him and charged a volley, of shafts capable of penetrating through a coat of mail. But that mighty car-warrior, Karna, received with great alacrity that discharge with an arrowy shower of his own, heavy as the downpour of the clouds. And that fierce volley of arrows covered all sides and severally pierced the steeds and arms and leathern fences of the combatants. And incapable of putting up with that assault, Arjuna cut off the strings of Karna's quiver by means of a straight and sharp arrow. Thereupon, taking out from his quiver another arrow, Karna pierced the Pandava in the hand at which the latter's hold of the bow was loosened. And then the mighty-armed Partha cut off Karna's bow into fragments. And Karna replied by hurling a dart at his adversary, but Arjuna cut it off by means of his arrows. And then the warriors that followed the son of Radha rushed in crowds at Arjuna, but Partha sent them all to the abode of Yama by means of arrows shot from the Gandiva. And Vibhatsu slew the steeds of Karna by means of sharp and tough arrows shot from the bow-string drawn to the ear, and deprived of life they dropped down on the ground. And taking another sharp and blazing arrow endued with great energy, the mighty son of Kunti pierced the breast of Kama*. And that arrow, cleaving through his mail, penetrated into his body. And at this, Karna's vision was obscured and his senses left him. And regaining consciousness, he felt a great pain, and leaving the combat fled in a northernly direction. And at this, the mighty car-warrior Arjuna and Uttara, both began to address him contumely.'"

BRC (Episode 60): Karna is able to hit a few arrows at Arjun and Uttar and then Arjun defeats them all by Mohini astra.

SP: Bhishma doesn't allow the battle between Karna and Arjun to go on by interfering (And he also doesn't fight) and actual defeat of Karna is not shown and smartly avoided here yet again. So Drupad war, Swayamvar, Gandharvas and now fourth defeat - all safely avoided. Edited by ShivangBuch - 9 years ago

Udyoga Parva

When the priest of Drupad was sent as the messenger of Pandavas:

"Vaisampayana said, 'Then Drupada's priest, having approached the Kaurava chief, was honoured by Dhritarashtra as also by Bhishma and Vidura. And having first told the news of the welfare of the Pandavas, he enquired about the welfare of the Kauravas. And he spoke the following words in the midst of all the leaders of Duryodhana's army, 'The eternal duties of kings are known to you all. But though known, I shall yet recite them as an introduction to what I am going to say. Both Dhritarashtra and Pandu are known to be sons of the same father. There is no doubt that the share of each to the paternal wealth should be equal. The sons of Dhritarashtra obtained the paternal wealth. Why did not the sons of Pandu at all receive their paternal portion? Ye are aware how formerly the sons of Pandu did not receive their paternal property which was all usurped by Dhritarashtra's sons. The latter endeavoured in various ways to remove the sons of Pandu from their path by employment even of murderous contrivances; but as their destined terms of life had not wholly run out, the sons of Pandu could not be sent to the abode of Yama. Then again, when those high-souled princes had carved out a kingdom by their own strength, the mean-minded sons of Dhritarashtra, aided by Suvala's son, robbed them of it by deceit. This Dhritarashtra gave his sanction even to that act as hath been usual with him. And for thirteen years they were then sent to sojourn in the great wilderness. In the council-hall, they had also been subjected to indignities of various kinds, along with their wife, valiant though they were. And great also were the sufferings that they had to endure in the woods. Those virtuous princes had also to endure unspeakable woes in the city of Virata,--such as are endured only by vicious men when their souls transmigrate into the forms of inferior beings, Ye best of Kuru's race, overlooking all these injuries of yore they desire nothing but a peaceful settlement with the Kurus! Remembering their behaviour, and that of Duryodhana also, the latter's friends should entreat him to consent to peace! The heroic sons of Pandu are not eager for war with the Kurus. They desire to get back their own share without involving the world in ruin. If Dhritarashtra's son assigns a reason in favour of war, that can never be a proper reason. The sons of Pandu are more powerful. Seven Akshauhinis of troops have been collected on behalf of Yudhishthira, all eager to fight with the Kurus, and they are now awaiting his word of command. Others there are tigers among men, equal in might to a thousand Akshauhinis, such as Satyaki and Bhimasena, and the twin brothers of mighty strength. It is true that these eleven divisions of troops are arrayed on one side, but these are balanced on the other by the mighty-armed Dhananjaya of manifold form. And as Kiritin exceeds in strength even all these troops together, so also doth Vasudeva's son of great effulgence and powerful intellect. Who is there that would fight, in view of the magnitude of the opposing force, the valour of Arjuna, and the wisdom of Krishna? Therefore, I ask you to give back what should be given, as dictated by morality and compact. Do not let the opportunity pass!'"

Vaisampayana said, 'Having heard his words, Bhishma, senior in wisdom, and endued with great effulgence, paid honours to him, and then spoke words suitable to the occasion. And he said, 'How fortunate that they are all well, with Krishna! How fortunate that they have procured aid, and that they are inclined to a virtuous course! How fortunate that those scions of Kuru's race desire peace with their cousins! There is no doubt that what thou hast said is true. Thy words, however, are exceedingly sharp,--the reason, I suppose, being that thou art a Brahmana. No doubt, the sons of Pandu were much harassed both here and in woods. No doubt, by law they are entitled to get all the property of their father. Arjuna, the son of Pritha, is strong trained in weapons, and is a great car-warrior. Who, in sooth, can withstand in battle Dhananjaya the son of Pandu. Even the wielder himself of the thunderbolt cannot,--other bowmen are hardly worth mention. My belief is that he is a match for all the three worlds!' And while Bhishma was thus speaking, Karna wrathfully and insolently interrupted his words, and looking at Duryodhana said, 'There is no creature in the world, O Brahmana, who is not informed of all these facts. What is the good of repeating them again and again? On behalf of Duryodhana, Sakuni formerly won in game of dice. Yudhishthira, the son of Pandu went to the woods according to a stipulation. He is now paying no regard to that stipulation, but confident of aid from the Matsyas and Panchalas, he wisheth to get back his ancestral throne. O learned man, Duryodhana would not yield even a single foot of land if thou appealest to his fears, but if justice requires, he would give up the whole earth even to a foe. If they wish to get back their ancestral throne, they should pass the specified period of time in the forest as had been stipulated. Afterwards let them live as the dependants of Duryodhana, safe and sound. From dull-headedness, however, let them not turn their mind towards an absolutely unrighteous course. If, nevertheless, abandoning the path of virtue, they desire war, then when they encounter in battle these praise-worthy Kurus, they will remember these my words.'

BRC (Episode 62): Karna interrupts and interferes and directly starts arguing with Purohit to which Bhishma calls lack of manner. Karna felt insulted by Bhishma leaves the court. Bhishma's dialog over here to Duryodhan is: "Tum keval teen vyakti ki hi baatein sunte ho. Unme se pehela hai Guru Parshuram dwara shaapit  ye Sutputra (Kshatriya-Brahmin mix) Karna. Aur dursara ye Gandhar naresh kapati Shakuni. Aur teesara tumhara durachari anuj Dushasan."

SP: The incident of Panchal's purohit visiting Hastinapur with demand or proposal is skipped. Instead of that, Pandavas themselves visit Hastinapur to ask their rights.

Dhritarashtra's words about Karna:

Dhritarashtra said, ... In no time will they be appeased towards us, for though treated treacherously (by foes), yet they are righteous and good. In no case, O Sanjaya, have I ever met with any untruthfulness on the part of the Pandavas. It was by their own valour that they had won all their prosperity, and (yet) they were ever dutiful to me. Though I scrutinized their conduct, I could never find fault with them,--no, not even a single fault for which we might blame them. They always act mindful of virtue and wealth; they never give way to love of sensual enjoyments, or cold, or hunger, or thirst; they subdue steep and laziness and wrath and joy and heedlessness. The sons of Pritha, mindful of both virtue and wealth, are ever pleasant to all. On proper occasions they part with their wealth to friends. Friendship with them never loses its ardour on account of length of time; for they bestow honours and wealth on every one according to his deserts. Not a soul in the race of Ajamida ever entertains hatred for them excepting this vile, capricious, dull-headed Duryodhana, and excepting also the still more mean-minded Karna. These two always enhance the energy of those high-souled ones who have been divested of both friends and happiness.

BRC (Episode 62): Dhritarashtra has a dialog that "Angraaj Karna uski adharm ki agni ko hawa deta rehta hai. Gandhar naresh use uskate rehte hai, bhadkate rehte hai. Dushshashan to uska bhakt, uska haan me haan milate rehta hai."

SP: Dhritarashtra stopped Karna when the later was excited for war. Dhritarashtra was then very much frightened about posiblity of his sons' death in war and was sending Shakuni to Gandhar according to Bhishma'a advice. But no direct dialog of this kind was here.

Krishna's uttering:

Duryodhana is a big tree of evil passions; Karna is its trunk; Sakuni is its branches; Dussasana forms its abundant blossoms and fruits; (while) the wise king Dhritarashtra is its toots*. Yudhishthira is a big tree of righteousness; Arjuna is its trunk; and Bhima is its branches; the sons of Madri are its abundant flowers and fruits; and its roots are myself and religion and religious men.

[*toots: it should be roots]

Neither of the shows has shown such uttering of Krishna.

Karna's words to Bhishma:

Bhishma continued, ...When thou, O Duryodhana, wilt see Kesava with conch-shell and discus, and mace in hand, and that terrible wielder of the bow, Arjuna, armed with weapons, when thou wilt behold those eternal and illustrious ones, the two Krishnas seated on the same car, then wilt thou, O child, remember these my words. Why should not such danger threaten the Kurus when thy intellect, O child, hath fallen off from both profit and virtue? If thou heedest not my words, thou shalt then have to hear of the slaughter of many, for all the Kauravas accept thy opinion. Thou art alone in holding as true the opinion, O bull of the Bharata race, only three persons, viz., Karna, a low-born Suta's son cursed by Rama, Sakuni, the son of Suvala, and thy mean and sinful brother Dussasana.'

'Karna said. 'It behoveth thee not, O blessed grandsire, to use such words towards me, for I have adopted the duties of the Kshatriya order without falling off from those of my own. Besides, what wickedness is there in me? I have no sin known to any one of Dhritarashtra's people. I have never done any injury to Dhritarashtra's son; on the other hand, I will slay all the Pandavas in battle. How can they that are wise make peace again with those that have before been injured? It is always my duty to do all that is agreeable to king Dhritarashtra, and especially to Duryodhana, for he is in possession of the kingdom.'

BRC (Episode 63): Karna's dialog is "Kya is bhari sabha me sabke samne yun meri ninda karna aavashyak tha? Kshatriya Dharma ke paalan ke atirikt aur maine kiya kya? Meri nishtha Kuruvangsh ke prati nahi hai. Meri nishtha keval Maharaj aur Yuvaraj Duryodhan ke prati hai."

SP: This type of dialog was shown few times at different places like Aadi parva and Udyoga parva.

Dhritarashtra's opinion about Karna's effect on Duryodhana:

Dhritarashtra said, Yudhishthira the son of Pandu is endued with Kshatriya energy and leadeth the Brahmacharya mode of life from his very youth. Alas, with him these foolish sons of mine desire to fight, disregarding me that am thus bewailing. I ask thee, O Duryodhana, O foremost of the Bharata race, desist from hostility. O chastiser of foes, under any circumstances, war is never applauded. Half the earth is quite enough for the maintenance of thyself and all thy followers. Give back unto the sons of Pandu, O chastiser of foes, their proper share. All the Kauravas deem just this to be consistent with justice, that thou shouldst make peace with the high-souled sons of Pandu. Reflect thus, O son, and thou wilt find that this thy army is for thy own death. Thou understandest not this from thy own folly. I myself do not desire war, nor Vahlika, nor Bhishma, nor Drona, nor Aswatthaman, nor Sanjaya, nor Somadatta, nor Salya, nor Kripa, nor Satyavrata, nor Purumitra, nor Bhurisravas,--in fact, none of these desireth war. Indeed, those warriors upon whom the Kauravas, when afflicted by the foe, will have to rely, do not approve of the war. O child, let that be acceptable to thee. Alas, thou dost not seek it of thy own will, but it is Karna and the evil-minded Dussasana and Sakuni, the son of Suvala, that are leading thee to it.'

BRC (Episode 62): Dhritarashtra has a dialog that "Angraaj Karna uski adharm ki agni ko hawa deta rehta hai. Gandhar naresh use uskate rehte hai, bhadkate rehte hai. Dushshashan to uska bhakt, uska haan me haan milate rehta hai."

SP: Dhritarashtra stopped Karna when the later was excited for war. Dhritarashtra was then very much frightened about posiblity of his sons' death in war and was sending Shakuni to Gandhar according to Bhishma'a advice. But no direct dialog of this kind was here.

When Bhishma said that Krishna was protecting Pandavas:

Karna said, 'Without doubt, the chief of the Vrishnis is even so. Further, I admit, that that high-souled one is even more than that. Let, however, the Grandsire listen to the effect of the bit of harsh speech that he hath uttered. I lay down my weapons. The Grandsire will henceforth behold me in court only and not in battle. After thou hast become quiet, the rulers of the earth will behold my prowess in this world.'

BRC (Episode 66): Karna doesn't himself decide not to fight until Bhishma is to fight as shown in this show (but the fact is that it is Karna who puts this condition). On the contrary, it is Bhishma who puts forward the condition (In Hastinapur only) that Karna will not fight under him otherwise he won't accept the position of Commandar in chief. Karna then leaves the room. Just before that, there was a strange personal scene between Bhishma and Karna exchanging respect for each other and Karna asking about his dharma in the battle.

SP: Bhishma prohibits Karna in the battle under him in Kurukshetra by giving the reason that Karna has not sent his submission to fight under Bhishma like other kings in time.

Plan to seize messenger Krishna:

Vaisampayana said, 'Disregarding these words of grave import, spoken by his mother, Duryodhana went away, in anger, from that place to the presence of wicked persons. And wending away from the court, the Kuru prince began to consult with Suvala's royal son, Sakuni, most clever in dice. And this was the resolution which Duryodhana and Karna and Suvala's son Sakuni, with Dussasana as their fourth, arrived at, 'This Janardana, quick in action, seeketh, with the king Dhritarashtra and Santanu's son, to seize us first. We, however, shall forcibly seize this tiger among men, Hrishikesa, first, like Indra forcibly seizing Virochana's son (Vali). Hearing that this one of Vrishni's race hath been seized, the Pandavas will lose their heart and become incapable of exertion, like snakes whose fangs have been broken. This mighty-armed one is, indeed, the refuge and protection of them all. If this grantor of wishes, this bull of all the Satwatas, be confined, the Pandavas with the Somakas will become depressed and incapable of any exertion. Therefore, disregarding Dhritarashtra's cries, we will seize even here this Kesava, who is quick in action, and then fight with the foe.'

BRC (Episode 64): Neither Shakuni nor Karna is shown to have planned to capture Krishna (As per the epic Karna was also involved). It was not preplanned. Only Duryodhan himself uttered in anger that "Jadi aisa hai to mai Vaasudev ko bandi bana lunga." Shakuni actually calls him moorkh when he was actually trying to do it.

SP: Capturing Krishna is pre planned strategy and was determined to happen by Shakuni, Dushasan and Duryodhan with special preparations of huge chain.

When Krishna revealed Karna's real identity to him:

Karna said, 'Without doubt, O Kesava, thou hast said these words from thy love, affection, and friendship for me, as also in consequence of thy desire of doing me good, O thou of Vrishni's race. I know all that thou hast said unto me. Morally, I am the son of Pandu, as also in consequence of the injunctions of the scriptures, as thou, O Krishna, thinkest. My mother, while a maiden, bore me in her womb, O Janardana, through her connection with Surya. And at the command of Surya himself, she abandoned me as soon as I was born. Even thus, O Krishna, I came into the world.

BRC (Episode 66): Karna didn't know as per the show about his birth secret when Krishna told him (which actually he did) and on the contrary blames Krishna or complaints softly to Krishna only about revealing his secret (despite he only insisted to know) and says that to help Arjun, Krishna snatched away his hatred from him which was his weapon.

SP: Karna didn't know about his mother as per this show when Krishna revealed his identity to him.

Karna denied to fight until Bhishma's death:

Bhishma said, 'O mighty-armed one, it is even so, 'O Bharata, as thou sayest. But the Pandavas are as dear to me as ye yourselves. Therefore, O king, I should certainly seek their good as well, although I shall certainly fight for thee, having given thee a pledge (before) to that effect. I do not see the warrior on earth that is equal to me, except that tiger among men, Dhananjaya, the son of Kunti. Endued with great intelligence, he is conversant with innumerable celestial weapons. That son of Pandu, however, will never fight with me openly. With the power of my weapons, I can, in a trice, destroy this universe consisting of gods, Asuras, Rakshasas, and human beings. The sons of Pandu, however, O king, are incapable of being exterminated by me. I shall, therefore, slay every day ten thousand warriors. If, indeed, they do not slay me in battle first, I will continue to slaughter their forces thus. There is another understanding on which I may willingly become the commander of thy forces. It behoveth thee to listen to that. O lord of earth, either Karna should fight first, or I will fight first. The Suta's son always boasts of his prowess in battle, comparing it with mine.'

"Karna said, 'As long as Ganga's son liveth, O king, I shall never fight. After Bhishma is slain, I shall fight with the wielder of Gandiva.'

BRC (Episode 66): Bhishma does put the condition of killing 10000 foot soldiers every day and clearly declares that he won't kill any of the Pandavas. Kaurav senapati banu, agar sharta lo maan, Pandav dharma prateek hain, harun na unke praan.

SP: Bhishma never made this promise of not killing Pandavas directly.

When number of ratha. Atiratha & maharathas were counted:

Bhishma said,'... Karna, the son of Surya, this one who is thy counsellor, guide, and friend, this vain wight who is destitute of sense, this Karna, is neither a Ratha nor an Atiratha. Without sense, this one hath been deprived of his natural coat of mail. Always kind, he hath also been deprived of his celestial ear-rings. In consequence of the curse of Rama (his preceptor in arms) as also of the words of a Brahmana (who cursed him on another occasion), owing also to his deprivation of the accoutrements of battle, he, in my judgment, is only half a Ratha. Having approached Falguni (in battle), he will not certainly escape with life!' Hearing this, Drona, that foremost of all wielders of weapons, said, 'It is even so as thou hast said. That is not untrue! He boasteth on the eve of every battle, but yet he is seen to retreat from every engagement. Kind (out of season) and blundering, it is for this that Karna, in my judgment, is only half a Ratha!'

Hearing these words, Radha's son, expanding his eyes in rage, and afflicting Bhishma with words like sharp hooks, said unto Ganga's son these words, 'O grandsire, though I am innocent yet from thy aversion to me, thou manglest me thus, according to thy pleasure, with thy wordy arrows at every step. I tolerate, however, all this for the sake of Duryodhana. Indicating me as only half a Ratha, thou regardest me worthless, as if, indeed, I were a coward! What doubt is there in this?* I do not speak an untruth when I say that thou, O Ganga's son, art an enemy of the whole universe, and especially of all the Kurus! The king, however, doth not know this! Who else is there that would thus seek to disunite and abate the energy of these kings that are all equal and that are all equally brave, as thou, from thy hatred of merit, seekest to do? O Kaurava, neither years, nor wrinkles, nor wealth, nor possession of friends, would entitle a Kshatriya to be regarded as a Maharatha! It hath been said that a Kshatriya acquireth eminence only through might, as Brahmanas acquire eminence through superiority in mantras, as Vaisyas through wealth, and Sudras through age. Influenced, however, by lust and envy, and acting from ignorance, thou hast indicated Rathas and Atirathas according only to thy own caprice! Blessed be thou, O mighty-armed Duryodhana, judge properly! Let this wicked Bhishma, who only wrongeth thee, be abandoned by thee! Thy warriors, once disunited, can with difficulty be united again. O tiger among men, thy main army, under such circumstances, can with difficulty be united; far greater will the difficulty be in uniting an army gathered from various provinces! Behold, O Bharata, doubt (of success) hath already arisen in the hearts of thy warriors! This Bhishma weakeneth our energy in our very presence! Where is the task of ascertaining the merits of Rathas, and where is Bhishma of little understanding? I alone will withstand the army of Pandavas. Coming in contact with me, whose arrows never go for nothing, the Pandavas and the Panchalas will fly away in all directions like oxen when they come in contact with a tiger! Where, Oh, are battle, the press of armed encounter, good counsels and well-expressed words, and where is Bhishma, who is superannuated and of wicked soul, and who is impelled by the very fates to become their victim? Alone he challengeth the whole universe! Of false vision he regardeth none else as a man**. It is true the scriptures teach that the words of the old should be listened to. That, however, doth not refer to those that are very old, for these, in my judgment, become children again. Alone I will exterminate the army of the Pandavas! The fame, however, of such a feat will attach to Bhishma, O tiger among kings, for this Bhishma, O monarch, hath been made by thee the commander of thy forces, and the renown always attacheth to the leader and not to those that fight under him. I will not, therefore, O king, fight as long as Ganga's son liveth! After Bhishma, however, hath been laid low, I will fight with all the Maharathas of the enemy united together!'

[*What doubt is there in this? A part of corresponding verse is missing here. The exact verse is:

"Bhavaan Ardharatho Majhyam Mato Vai Naatra Sanshayah"

Bhavaan = you, Artharatho = half a ratha, Majhyam = my, Mato = opinion, Vai Naatra Sanshayah = certainly there is no doubt in this

So the verse means: "There is no doubt that you are certainly half a rath & it is my opinion."

**Alone he challengeth the whole universe! Of false vision he regardeth none else as a man: This part is slightly mistranslated. The original verse is,

"Spardhate hi Sadaa Nityam Sarvena Jagataa Saha

Na Chaanyam Purusham kam chin Manyate Moghadarshanah"

Spardhate = he challenges, Sadaa Nityam= always, Sarvena = everyone, Jagataa = whole universe, Saha = with, Na cha anayam = no other person, Purusham = man, Kam chin manyate = thinks as, Moghadarshanah = he whose vision is like sin, or by whose sight a sin is committed or by seeing whom a sin is committed (clearly this does not mean of false vision', the preposition of' can only come if there is a Tritiyaa or Chaturthi vibhakti but here Aghadarshanah is clearly Prathamaa vibhakti & singular form, so it means a reference to Bhishma himself which is expressing him as Aghadarshanah or the one whose sight causes a sin' or by seeing him a sin is committed', also, agha' means sin, not false' so aghadarshanah is not of false vision')

So the actual meaning should be,"Alone he challengeth the whole universe! He regarded none else as a man while he himself is such a man that by seeing him a sin is committed."]

BRC (Episode 59): This dialog is shown in Virat yuddh (when Karna argues with Drona) with completely opposite words. As per the show, Bhishma tells Karna that "Sabhi log tumhe Ardharathi kehte hain, kintu mai tumhe Maharathi maanta hun." Karna's harsh words are: "Duryodhan, kya kehene tumhare senapati ke!!! Gangaputra apna senapati daayitva to nibhayenge, parantu tumhare shatruon ke praan nahi lenge.

SP: Karne has much respect to Bhishma. When Duryodhan wanted to make him senapati instead of Bhishma then Karna tells him that all your soldiers are faithful to Bhishma only, so you cannot make me your senapati until Bhishma and Drona's defeat. Edited by ShivangBuch - 9 years ago

Drona Parva

Karna's speech to Kripa:

"Sanjaya continued, 'Thus addressed (by Kripa), Karna the son of Radha, O bull of Bharata's race, smiling the while, said these words unto the preceptor Kripa, the son of Saradwat, 'The words thou hast spoken about the Pandavas, O Brahmana, are all true. These and many other virtues are to be seen in the sons of Pandu. It is true also that the Parthas are incapable of being vanquished by the very gods with Vasava at their head, and the Daityas, the Yakshas, and the Rakshasas. For all that I will vanquish the Parthas with the help of the dart given me by Vasava. Thou knowest, O Brahmana, that the dart given by Sakra is incapable of being baffled. With that I will slay Savyasachin in battle. Upon Arjuna's fall, Krishna and the uterine brothers of Arjuna will never be able to enjoy the (sovereignty of the) earth without Arjuna (to aid them). All of them, therefore, will perish. This earth then, with her seas, will remain subject to the chief of the Kurus, O Gautama, without costing him any efforts. In this world everything, without doubt, becomes attainable by policy. Knowing this, I indulge in these roars, O Gautama! As regards thyself, thou art old, a Brahmana by birth, and unskilled in battle. Thou bearest much love for the Pandavas. It is for this thou insultest me thus. If, O Brahmana, thou tellest me again such words as these, I shall, then, drawing out my scimitar, cut off thy tongue, O wretch! Thou desirest, O Brahmana, to applaud the Pandavas, for frightening all the troops and the Kauravas, O thou of wretched understanding! As regards this also, O Gautama, listen to what I say. Duryodhana, and Drona, and Sakuni, and Durmukha, and Jaya, and Duhsasana, and Vrishasena, and the ruler of the Madras, and thyself too and Somadatta and Drona's son, and Vivinsati,--all these heroes skilled in battle,--are here, clad in mail. What foe is there, endued with even the prowess of Sakra, that would vanquish these in battle? All those I have named a-e heroes, skilled in weapons, endued with great might, solicitous of admission into heaven, conversant with morality, and skilled in battle. They would stay the very gods in fight. These will take their places on the field for slaying the Pandavas, clad in mail on behalf of Duryodhana desirous of victory. I regard victory to be dependent on destiny, even in the case of the foremost of mighty men. When the mighty-armed Bhishma himself lieth pierced with a hundred arrows, as also Vikarna, and Jayadratha, and Bhurisravas, and Jaya, and Jalasandha, and Sudakshina, and Sala; that foremost of car-warriors, and Bhagadatta of great energy, I say, when these and many others, incapable of being easily vanquished by the very gods, heroes all and mightier (than the Pandavas), lie on the field of battle, slain by the Pandavas, what dost thou think, O wretch among men, but that all this is the result of destiny? As regards them also, viz., the foes of Duryodhana, whom thou adorest, O Brahmana, brave warriors of theirs, in hundreds and thousands, have been slain. The armies of both the Kurus and the Pandavas are diminishing in numbers; I do not, in this, behold the prowess of the Pandavas! With them, O lowest of men, whom thou always regardest to be so mighty, I shall strive, to the utmost extent of my might, to contend in battle, for Duryodhana's good. As regards victory, that depends on destiny.'"

BRC (Episode 81): Duryodhan raises question mark over Drona's loyalty but doesn't raise any such question against Karna who was also not able to save Jayadrath and was defeated by Arjun on that day. Karna never has such harsh words used for Kripa but his argument with Kripa is shown in Virat war not here.

Karna Parva

At the final battle with Arjuna:

Seeing his wheel swallowed, the son of Radha shed tears from wrath, and beholding Arjuna, filled with rage he said these words, "O Partha, O Partha, wait for a moment, that is, till I lift this sunken wheel. Beholding, O Partha, the left wheel of my car swallowed through accident by the earth, abandon (instead of cherishing) this purpose (of striking and slaying me) that is capable of being harboured by only a coward. Brave warriors that are observant of the practices of the righteous, never shoot their weapons at persons with dishevelled hair, or at those that have turned their faces from battle, or at a Brahmana, or at him who joins his palms, or at him who yields himself up or beggeth for quarter or at one who has put up his weapon, or at one whose arrows are exhausted, or at one whose armour is displaced, or at one whose weapon has fallen off or been broken! Thou art the bravest of men in the world. Thou art also of righteous behaviour, O son of Pandu! Thou art well-acquainted with the rules of battle. For these reasons, excuse me for a moment, that is, till I extricate my wheel, O Dhananjaya, from the earth. Thyself staying on thy car and myself standing weak and languid on the earth, it behoveth thee not to slay me now. Neither Vasudeva, nor thou, O son of Pandu, inspirest me with the slightest fear. Thou art born in the Kshatriya order. Thou art the perpetuator of a high race. Recollecting the teachings of righteousness, excuse me for a moment, O son of Pandu!"

"Sanjaya said, 'Then Vasudeva, stationed on the car, addressed Karna, saying, "By good luck it is, O son of Radha, that thou rememberest virtue! It is generally seen that they that are mean, when they sink into distress, rail at Providence but never at their own misdeeds. Thyself and Suyodhana and Duhshasana and Shakuni, the son of Subala, had caused Draupadi, clad in a single piece of raiment, to be brought into the midst of the assembly. On that occasion, O Karna, this virtue of thine did not manifest itself. When at the assembly Shakuni, an adept in dice, vanquished Kunti's son Yudhishthira who was unacquainted with it, whither had this virtue of thine gone? When the Kuru king (Duryodhana), acting under thy counsels, treated Bhimasena in that way with the aid of snakes and poisoned food, whither had this virtue of thine then gone? When the period of exile into the woods was over as also the thirteenth year, thou didst not make over to the Pandavas their kingdom. Whither had this virtue of thine then gone? Thou didst set fire to the house of lac at Varanavata for burning to death the sleeping Pandavas. Whither then, O son of Radha, had this virtue of thine gone? Thou laughedest at Krishna while she stood in the midst of the assembly, scantily dressed because in her season and obedient to Duhshasana's will, whither, then, O Karna, had this virtue of thine gone? When from the apartment reserved for the females innocent Krishna was dragged, thou didst not interfere. Whither, O son of Radha, had this virtue of thine gone? Thyself addressing the princess Draupadi, that lady whose tread is as dignified as that of the elephant, in these words, viz., 'The Pandavas, O Krishna, are lost. They have sunk into eternal hell. Do thou choose another husband!' thou lookedest on the scene with delight. Whither then, O Karna, had this virtue of thine gone? Covetous of kingdom and relying on the ruler of the Gandharvas, thou summonedest the Pandavas (to a match of dice). Whither then had this virtue of thine gone? When many mighty car-warriors, encompassing the boy Abhimanyu in battle, slew him, whither had this virtue of thine then gone? If this virtue that thou now invokest was nowhere on those occasions, what is the use then of parching thy palate now, by uttering that word? Thou art now for the practice of virtue, O Suta, but thou shalt not escape with life. Like Nala who was defeated by Pushkara with the aid of dice but who regained his kingdom by prowess, the Pandavas, who are free from cupidity, will recover their kingdom by the prowess of their arms, aided with all their friends. Having slain in battle their powerful foes, they, with the Somakas, will recover their kingdom. The Dhartarashtras will meet with destruction at the hands of those lions among men (viz., the sons of Pandu), that are always protected by virtue!'"

"Sanjaya continued, 'Thus addressed, O Bharata, by Vasudeva, Karna hung down his head in shame and gave no answer. With lips quivering in rage, he raised his bow, O Bharata, and, being endued with great energy and prowess, he continued to fight with Partha. Then Vasudeva, addressing Phalguna, that bull among men, said, "O thou of great might, piercing Karna with a celestial weapon, throw him down."

BRC (Episode 89): It is shown here that Krishna reminds Arjun (and not Karna directly which is as per the epic) one by one Karna's sins (only Abhimanyu vadh and Draupadi's insult specifically and generally uttering the words "Wo Duryodhan ke har kapat ka bhagidar hai Paarth") and also motivates Arjun to break the rule of the war saying "Angaraj Karna ne kab yuddha niyamo ka paalan kiya tha Paarth?". Arjun waits for Karna to adjust his wheel. Krishna insists Arjun to take the opportunity saying "Wo maharathi hai, dusare rath par kyun nahi jata?" and Arjun with the sparked revenge kills Karna weaponless when he was not defending (which is not as per the epic when Karna actually continued fighting in rage with his bow when he was killed and so neither any rule was broken by Arjun nor Krishna instructed Arjun to kill weaponless Karna but Krishna only counterargued against Karna who was asking Arjun to stick to rules.). In the epic, the scene is like Valivadh shown in Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan in which Ram directly says to Vaali: "Vaanar raj! Aaj is maranonmukh avastha me pohonch kar tum jis dharma ki duhai de rahe ho, tumne swayam us dharma ka vichar apne jeevan me kabhi nahi kiya."

Shaanti Parva

Narada consoling Yudhishthira when he was crying for Karna:

"Vaisampayana said, 'That foremost of speakers, the sage Narada, thus questioned, narrated everything about the manner in which he who was believed to be a Suta's son had been cursed (in former days).'

"Narada said, 'It is even so, O mighty armed one, as thou sayest, O Bharata! Nothing could resist Karna and Arjuna in battle. This, O sinless one, that I am about to tell thee is unknown to the very gods. Listen to me, O mighty-armed one, as it befell in former days. How all the Kshatriyas, cleansed by weapons should attain to regions of bliss, was the question. For this, a child was conceived by Kunti in her maidenhood, capable of provoking a general war. Endued with great energy, that child came to have the status of a Suta. He subsequently acquired the science of weapons from the preceptor (Drona), that foremost descendant of Angirasa's race. Thinking of the might of Bhimasena, the quickness of Arjuna in the use of weapons, the intelligence of thyself, O king, the humility of the twins, the friendship, from earliest years, between Vasudeva and the wielder of Gandiva, and the affection of the people for you all, that young man burnt with envy. In early age he made friends with king Duryodhana, led by an accident and his own nature and the hate he bore towards you all. Beholding that Dhananjaya was superior to every one in the science of weapons, Karna. one day approached Drona in private and said these words unto him, 'I desire to be acquainted with the Brahma weapon, with all its mantras and the power of withdrawing it, for I desire to fight Arjuna. Without doubt, the affection thou bearest to every one of thy pupils is equal to what thou bearest to thy own son. I pray that all the masters of the science of weapons may, through thy grace, regard me as one accomplished in weapons!' Thus addressed by him, Drona, from partiality for Phalguna, as also from his knowledge of the wickedness of Karna, said, 'None but a Brahmana, who has duly observed all vows, should be acquainted with the Brahma weapon, or a Kshatriya that has practised austere penances, and no other.' When Drona had answered thus, Karna, having worshipped him, obtained his leave, and proceeded without delay to Rama then residing on the Mahendra mountains. Approaching Rama, he bent his head unto him and said, 'I am a Brahmana of Bhrigu's race.' This procured honour for him. With this knowledge about his birth and family, Rama received him kindly and said, 'Thou art welcome!' at which Karna became highly glad. While residing on the Mahendra mountains that resembled heaven itself, Karna met and mixed with many Gandharvas, Yakshas, and gods. Residing there he acquired all the weapons duly, and became a great favourite of the gods, the Gandharvas, and the Rakshasas. One day he roved on the sea-coast by the side of that asylum. Indeed, Surya's son, armed with bow and sword, wandered alone, While thus employed, O Partha, he inadvertently slew, without witting it, the Homa cow of a certain utterer of Brahma who daily performed his Agnihotra rite. Knowing that he had perpetrated that act from inadvertence, he informed the Brahmana of it. Indeed Karna, for the object of gratifying the owner, repeatedly said, 'O holy one, I have killed this thy cow without wilting it. Forgive me the act!' Filled with wrath, the Brahmana, rebuking him, said these words, 'O thou of wicked conduct, thou deservest to be killed. Let the fruit of this act be thine, O thou of wicked soul. While fighting him, O wretch whom thou always challengest, and for whose sake thou strivest so much every day, the earth shall swallow the wheel of thy car! And while the wheel of thy car shall thus be swallowed up by the earth, thy foe, putting forth his prowess, will cut off thy head, thyself being stupefied the while! Leave me, O vile man! As thou hast heedlessly slain this my cow, even so wilt thy foe cut off thy head while thou shalt be heedless!' Though cursed, Karna still sought to gratify that foremost of Brahmanas by offering him kine and wealth and gems. The latter, however, once more answered him, 'All the words will not succeed in falsifying the words spoken by me! Go hence or remain, do whatever thou likest.' Thus addressed by the Brahmana, Karna, hanging down his head from cheerlessness, returned timidly to Rama, reflecting on that matter.'

"Narada said, 'That tiger of Bhrigu's race (viz., Rama), was well-pleased with the might of Karna's arms, his affection (for him), his self-restraint, and the services he did unto his preceptor. Observant of ascetic penances, Rama cheerfully communicated, with due forms, unto his penance-observing disciple, everything about the Brahma weapon with the mantras for withdrawing it. Having acquired a knowledge of that weapon, Karna began to pass his days happily in Bhrigu's retreat, and endued with wonderful prowess, he devoted himself with great ardour to the science of weapons. One day Rama of great intelligence, while roving with Karna in the vicinity or his retreat, felt very weak in consequence of the fasts he had undergone. From affection begotten by confidence, the tired son of Jamadagni placing his head on Karna's lap, slept soundly, White his preceptor was thus sleeping (with head) on his lap, a frightful worm, whose bite was very painful and which subsisted on phlegm and fat and flesh and blood, approached the presence of Karna. That blood-sucking worm, approaching Karna's thigh, began to pierce it. Through fear of (awaking) his preceptor, Karna became unable to either throw away or kill that worm. Though his limb was bored through by that worm, O Bharata, the son of Surya, lest his preceptor should awake, suffered it to do its pleasure. Though the pain was intolerable, Karna bore it with heroic patience, and continued to hold Bhrigu's son on his lap, without quivering in the least and without manifesting any sign of pain. When at last Karna's blood touched the body of Rama of great energy, the latter awoke and said these words in fear, 'Alas, I have been made impure! What is this that thou art doing, Tell me, casting off all fear, what is the truth of this matter!' Then Karna informed him of that worm's bite. Rama saw that worm which resembled a hog in shape. It had eight feet and very keen teeth, and it was covered with bristles that were all pointed like needles. Called by the name of Alarka, its limbs were then shrunk (with fear). As soon as Rama cast his, eyes on it, the worm gave up its life-breath, melting in that blood which it had drawn. All this seemed wonderful. Then in the welkin was seen a Rakshasa of terrible form, dark in hue, of a red neck, capable of assuming any form at wilt, and staying on the clouds,--his object fulfilled, the Rakshasa, with joined hands, addressed Rama, saying, 'O best of ascetics, thou hast rescued me from this hell! Blessed be thou, I adore thee, thou hast done me good!' Possessed of great energy, the mighty-armed son of Jamadagni said unto him, 'Who art thou? And why also didst thou fall into hell? Tell me all about it.' He answered, 'Formerly I was a great Asura of the name of Dansa. In the Krita period, O sire, I was of the same age with Bhrigu. I ravished the dearly-loved spouse of that sage. Through his curse I felt down on the earth in the form of a worm. In anger thy ancestors said unto me, 'Subsisting on urine and phlegm, O wretch, thou shalt lead a life of hell.' I then besought him, saying, 'When, O Brahmana, shall this curse end?' Bhrigu replied unto me, saying. 'This curse shall end through Rama of my race. It was for this that I had obtained such a course of life like one of uncleansed soul. O righteous one, by thee, however, I have been rescued from that sinful life.' Having said these words, the great Asura, bending his head unto Rama went away. Then Rama wrathfully addressed Karna, saying, 'O fool, no Brahmana could endure such agony. Thy patience is like that of a Kshatriya. Tell me the truth, without fear.' Thus asked, Karna, fearing to be cursed, and seeking to gratify him, said these words, 'O thou of Bhrigu's race, know me for a Suta, a race that has sprung from the intermixture of Brahmanas with Kshatriyas. People call me Karna the son of Radha. O thou of Bhrigu's race, be gratified with my poor self that has acted from the desire of obtaining weapons. There is no doubt in this that a reverend preceptor in the Vedas and other branches of knowledge is one's father. It was for this that I introduced myself to thee as a person of thy own race.' Unto the cheerless and trembling Karna, prostrated with joined hands upon earth, that foremost one of Bhrigu's race, smiling though filled with wrath, answered, 'Since thou hast, from avarice of weapons, behaved here with falsehood, therefore, O wretch, this Brahma weapon shalt not dwell in thy remembrance. Since thou art not a Brahmana, truly this Brahma weapon shall not, up to the time of thy death, dwell in thee when thou shalt be engaged with a warrior equal to thyself! Go hence, this is no place for a person of such false behaviour as thou! On earth, no Kshatriya will be thy equal in battle.' Thus addressed by Rama, Karna came away, having duty taken his leave. Arriving then before Duryodhana, he informed him, saying, 'I have mastered all weapons!'"

Narada said, 'Having thus obtained weapons from him of Bhrigu's race, Karna began to pass his days in great joy, in the company of Duryodhana, O bull of Bharata's race!

BRC (Episode 57): The incident is shown almost in the same way as in the epic (Parashuram sleeping, Karna not disturbing him, bleeding, tolerating, and then Parashuram after getting awake asking Karna's caste and telling that only Kshatriya can bear such pain, and then cursing instead just mentioning the consequence of his lie that he would forget the vidhya at the real needful time). However, it is not shown here that Karna only went to Parshuram after learning all basic lessons of archery from Drona only and he served Parshuram as a dedicated student only to learn Brahmaastra and also he lied that he was Brahmin in order to learn Brahmaastra because that was what was the basic requirement or condition for that vidhya (so in the epic, it was not the society rejecting or hating him or discriminating with him for being of lower caste but that was just sympatatic imagination made by the novelists writing interpolations about Karna's character - and he was not shoodra mind well he was just a mix blood but a Brahmin and Kshatriya).

Episode 89: The other incident of Brahmin and his cow is also shown in brief in similar way. Both the incidents (Parshuram and Cow) are shown in Karna parva in the serial as flash back - Karna's thoughts just the day before his death.

SP: The curse of Parshuram is shown almost in the same way but no mention of Brahmin and his cow till date. Karna is shown as treated like a shudra and everybody including Bhishma could not accept his interest in archery. After Dron rejected him he decided to lie to Parshuram. He dressed as a Brahmin and lied to Parshuram. Edited by ShivangBuch - 9 years ago
In fact I had posted my thoughts similar to this  in the MB Forum long ago, but got hounded out by Karna's admirers.

Here's the thread http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3912450

It has been my belief all the time that Karna did not suffer because of his caste (at least not to the extent shown by serials). Except perhaps during Draupadi Swayamwara.

I always felt his only mistake was lying to Parashurama- whom he approached as a shishya.

I saw your post just now. Never mind. Your post is liked by many over there and some of them loved it. Not only that, it may have rather must have opened the eyes of some misguided but unbiased people who had misconceptions about Karna's characterization. Your time rather our time is more valuable you know than wasting it for those who don't want to open their eyes and understand. So let them love Karna and let them spend lots of Rupees that they have for making a temple of Karna. By compiling facts from KMG and even Sanskrit original verses wherever required, we have done our job. Karma is done. Success or fruit is not in our hand and we also don't have to think of it. So I am happy and satisfied right at this very moment by posting this for Sema and you no matter what happens next. And Lola is also very open minded, sensible and supportive moderator. She can distinguish between emotional opinions abusing a character and rational balancing eye opener supported by facts. Let Karna fans come up with their answers here but with quotes from KMG like what we have done. That's a fair deal. Let them criticize Yudhishthir but with actual compilation of text like what we have done. If they are ready to work hard enough for that, everything welcome.