Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bheegi thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Originally posted by: TheWatcher

KMG and CE quite resemble in this matter, KMG says Karna snapped his bow by means of his arrows and CE says the same, no mention of breaking it from behind.

Yeah KMG and CE are quite similar but I find CE easier to comprehend. BD has done a good job of translating the shlokas so people with no knowledge of sanskrit can understand it easily
akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: runi17

Though we disagreed in this matter,i loved d way u expressed ur views..😊
actually r u sure  vimukhkritya means' having made him turn away from the fight'?4m fight is not mentioned.

[/quote]
vimukhkritya means "having made him turn away". I added "from fight" by seeing the context.

TheWatcher thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
runi17, Why are you taking my replies as if I am mocking or ridiculing you?, I didn't even mention you in my post, I was just trying to have a healthy argument, my point was not directed to any specific person, it belonged to some of the people who are 'well versed' in Sanskrit, my only point was - ' What if these people who versed in Sanskrit do a mistake in translating?', this is sole reason one uses English and not Sanskrit.

Regarding two of the scholars you named - they are called 'scholars' for a reason, obviously they will be 'well-versed' in Sanskrit, but their degrees don't nullify KMG or Critical edition's work does it?, I respect their opinion and knowledge - but I cannot let their opinions/knowledge shadow two of the most prominent English translations of Mahabarata.

[ My respect to both of the scholars - I may not even have quarter of a knowledge compared to them ]
Edited by TheWatcher - 9 years ago
TheWatcher thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Nandiniraizaada

Not just Marathi but in shush Hindi too pashchar is after and not beind 
Like varsha ritu grishma ke pashchat aati hai

But if I want to say Ram's house is behind shyam's house I can't say Ram ka ghar Shyam ke ghar ke pashat hai I will have to use peeche hai

Or I will have to refrase it as Ram ka ghar shyam ke ghar ke pashchat aata hai where again it becomes after 

Loved your first example - you made it very easy to understand, I have heard that word quite a lot of times.
Edited by TheWatcher - 9 years ago
Rorschach thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
the Sanskrit 'pasch' () which means 'later'. It is from the root 'pasch' that the Sanskrit (and Hindi) 'paschat' () is derived. 

Pachat can never be interpreted as behind
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: Rorschach

the Sanskrit 'pasch' () which means 'later'. It is from the root 'pasch' that the Sanskrit (and Hindi) 'paschat' () is derived. 

Pachat can never be interpreted as behind

Exactly what I wanted to say in layman terms

Though I don't claim to be a scholar but my Hindi is quite good and I have some knowledge of Sanskrit 
Pashchat is definitely after or later not behind 
Rorschach thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Exactly what I wanted to say in layman terms

Though I don't claim to be a scholar but my Hindi is quite good and I have some knowledge of Sanskrit 
Pashchat is definitely after or later not behind 

Yeah you explained it very aptly with your simple and logical example.

One more thing,

'Back' or 'behind' refer to the word prashthataha () in Sanskrit

Just for knowledge😉
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: akhl

@runi17,

The verse 29 says:
etat kuru mahevsa rdheya yadi akyate
athaina vimukhktya pact praharaa kuru

You are saying that pashchat means "behind". But pashchat also means "after that". As I will explain, the translation "after that" fits better here. Let us try word-by-word translation.

etat kuru - Do so
maheshvasa - O mighty archer
radheya - O son of Radha
yadi sakyate - if you have the power to do so
athainam - By this means
vimukhktya - having made him turn away from the fight
pashchat - after that
praharanam kuru - strike him

So the translation of verse 29 is:
O mighty archer, O son of Radha, do so if you have the power to do it. Having made him turn away from the fight by this means, strike him after that.

Originally posted by: akhl

@runi17,

You also mentioned verse 31, which states:
tad cryavaca rutv karo vaikartanas tvaran
asyato laghuhastasya patkair dhanur cchinat

This says that Karna cut Abhimanyu's bow using arrows. But it does not say he cut it from behind.

I've always understood 'paschat' as meaning 'after that'.  'From behind' is something I just learnt.

I agree w/ Akhl about why we use KMG and the translations.  More relevant to the  point here, KMG  is the only one freely available online - either in sacred-texts.com or mahabharataonline.com.  Had the Critical Edition or other editions been that easily accessible, that too would have been freely cited here.
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: TheWatcher

I myself believe that KMG should not be the only source, translations like Geeta Press are more or less as accurate as KMG, but why ridicule KMG when your point is not proven?, why not ridicule it when your point is proven, the 'comfort' of accepting it when your point is proven and ridiculing it when your point is not proven - should be not applied.

Thank you for the word by word translation and from what I have heard - Sanskrit is similar to Hindi and my Hindi is quite strong - 'Pashchat' is used in Marathi and it means 'after' not 'behind'.

Not just Marathi but in shush Hindi too pashchar is after and not beind 

Like varsha ritu grishma ke pashchat aati hai

But if I want to say Ram's house is behind shyam's house I can't say Ram ka ghar Shyam ke ghar ke pashat hai I will have to use peeche hai

Or I will have to refrase it as Ram ka ghar shyam ke ghar ke pashchat aata hai where again it becomes after 

Nandini, the bolded sentence clearly means that varsha season comes after summer.  Not behind.

The word may mean behind as well, but I've not seen a context so far where it's used in such a way.
srishtisingh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
in hindi pashchat means after! I donot know abt sanskrit.but used google it said it also mean behind. but in hindi I am sure paschat is always used for after that