Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

@blue98 
In  no way I mean the abstinence alone is the way to go. But yes Mr K did brought in a good point that should these young kids be not first prohibited from participating in sexual activities.  As part of the holistic sex education to the teens , it is vital to include abstinence as well . Contraception and other means are much important but they talk about preventive measures only and not about increasingly decreasing age for sexual activities. Mere contraception also would not stop the emotional and biological stress  . 

Say if the teen takes it to alcohol  at a young age when he is not able to control it, at that point you do try to switch him off the bottle .

Similarly we do need to strictly teach the kids about the legal age and its significance in terms of life choices, biology and otherwise.

The point is to provide them realistic sexual education where every aspect of it is covered . The underlining factor should be to prevent students from indulging in it before the legal age. Stick or warning might push them off for rebellion but clever innovative ways might get them to see the light- that is the challenge before us. 

@on fear- it was in response to Mr. K' comment. More of a joke . But teaching them about STDs would scare anyone , let alone teens. Still essential for their education. 

-bLEu98- thumbnail
Originally posted by: charminggenie

@blue98 

In  no way I mean the abstinence alone is the way to go. But yes Mr K did brought in a good point that should these young kids be not first prohibited from participating in sexual activities.  As part of the holistic sex education to the teens , it is vital to include abstinence as well . Contraception and other means are much important but they talk about preventive measures only and not about increasingly decreasing age for sexual activities. Mere contraception also would not stop the emotional and biological stress  . 

Say if the teen takes it to alcohol  at a young age when he is not able to control it, at that point you do try to switch him off the bottle .

Similarly we do need to strictly teach the kids about the legal age and its significance in terms of life choices, biology and otherwise.

The point is to provide them realistic sexual education where every aspect of it is covered . The underlining factor should be to prevent students from indulging in it before the legal age. Stick or warning might push them off for rebellion but clever innovative ways might get them to see the light- that is the challenge before us. 

@on fear- it was in response to Mr. K' comment. More of a joke . But teaching them about STDs would scare anyone , let alone teens. Still essential for their education. 

I agree.
Abstinence would be one way too. But it should not be the focus according to me.
And the legal age is something even our judiciary is confused about. The age of consent was 16, now it has been made 18 post the Delhi rape furor because they felt compelled to do something about it.
And instead of discouraging or prohibiting sex, teaching the pros or cons are much better, and of course the ways of birth control.
Because while it is illegal at 17 years of age but legal at 18 will seem dubious to the teens. The very reason why they get a kick out of underage smoking or sex for that matter. Because it makes them feel like an adult.
And alcohol can be a concern for health if not controlled even when adult. Not sex, if one follows the basic precautions. 
But yes, I get what you are saying. I hope you got me. ðŸ˜› and I think both our perspectives are right.
K.Universe. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: charminggenie

In  no way I mean the abstinence alone is the way to go. But yes Mr K did brought in a good point that should these young kids be not first prohibited from participating in sexual activities.  As part of the holistic sex education to the teens , it is vital to include abstinence as well .

Just a clarification that my methods are not a direct promotion of abstinence; abstinence is what results when the teens are fully occupied with studies and sports. My methods are stealthily implementing abstinence without  promoting the concept directly.
Originally posted by: K.Universe.

Cowardly? Hardly! It may sound unconventional to some but that is precisely the point of an out-of-the-box solution. Creative thinking is meant to be unconventional. Even a dunce can come up with condoms, sponges, birth-control pills etc. as "solutions" to pregnancy. Those are least creative. 

Creative? Hardly!... if a so-called "creative out of the box solutions" is based upon denial or refusal of a very simple known fact- " teens are teens regardless of whether they are over-burdened or under-burdened", then it can hardly be termed as "creative"...a "dunce" who comes up known "solutions" to tackle a problem at hand is much smarter than a "genius" who bases his "solutions" on refusal & denial of the issue in hand...

The teens are finding time for "extracurricular" activities, like engaging in sex, that are not productive for their age. I suggested taking that time away by increasing the work load. In hindsight, I should have added sports too. I am not sure why a little extra work sounds so daunting to you.

I see no reason for increasing the academic burden on already over-burdened teens, becoz a teen who finds time to engage in "extra-curricular" activity in the(already over-burdened) current education system, is most likely to find time even in the modified education system...the teen in question will simply ignore the demands of the modified system as he did with the former education system, the problem being, he is struggling with his desires & coping with the pressures of his changing body & mindset- NOW THAT is the problem we are dealing with , to which a proper guidance in the form of sex education is the only appropriate solution..running away from the problem or deviating or tricking the teens with extra work is hardly a solution..besides, increasing the work load will only give rise to other problems as the current work load is difficult enough , if u still have a problem understanding what i mean by the 'already over burdened teens' i recommend u watch "Taare Zameen Par"... especially, for the middle class , it holds true..teens are burdened by their parents expectations to becum a docter/engineer with little regard to the child's own capability...so the question of burdening the already over-burdened high school teens is out of question...comparatively, college studies r much easier wherein one opts for his/her own field of intrest & focuses on becoming an expert in the chosen field..but high school is where every tom, dick & harry is burdened with all of the academic subjects..few schools offer a choice between science & commerce starting from 11th grade but parents insist upon taking science owing to their expectations..  

These are crucial years for learning and as I already said sex education is but a part of the overall education. If I am not mistaken, anatomy, reproduction and other "rocket science" topics are covered in 8th grade biology. You don't need more sex education than that. That should suffice. But even after learning about reproduction, if they want to experiment, then it would mean we are not dealing with smart kids. Which is why I suggested keeping them occupied with studies. 

Yes these are indeed the crucial years of learning, but what you failed to acknowledge is that these are also the crucial years of changing anatomy which happens at different times for different individuals giving rise to utter confusion , guilty feelings & other psychological issues which needs to be properly addressed through an appropriate sex education..for which an 8th grade biology topics related to sex,anatomy & reproduction is just not enough..that wont suffice to deal with the problems faced by teens... 

Sex education is not what is going to land a teen a job later on. Real education is what they want. 

But of course sex education wont directly help a teen to get a job later on but it will help them keep sane & safer in effect enabling the teen to tackle his problems in a way that it wont b a problem later on which i believe is the issue we are dealing with.. 

And, yes REAL education what everybody wants...but the definition of REAL education as is apparent & evident , is very subjective...😊

Just a clarification that my methods are not a direct promotion of abstinence; abstinence is what results when the teens are fully occupied with studies and sports. My methods are stealthily implementing abstinence without  promoting the concept directly.

Abstinence ?!...😕

has it reached there?... in my opinion, it is the worst possible solution... a proper sex education would lead to a  "self imposed restraint"...n that is what should be aimed for... but promoting the concept of "abstinence" will do more harm than good..

this is how i c it... just a personal opinion..feel free to disagree though 😊...promoting virtues like abstinence will only strengthen the negativity surrounding the concept of sex & all things related to sex.. this will do more harm than good as the teens especially Indian teens struggle with guilty sexual desires owing to their changing bodies & mindset..n if someone introduces things like "abstinence" in the midst of it , it will only strengthen the guilty mind set & will make them see "sex" in a bad light & in effect seeing themselves & others in bad light... there is absolutely no reason to attach such a stigma to sex..if u do, this stigma will hinder the teen's adult sex life in the future owing to the "wisdom" 😔 that was imparted to him/her during teenage...
twila thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3

This is how I would tackle it:

• Increase the coursework for middle school and high school students. Add more subjects.
  • Add more syllabus, preferably in Math and Science.
  • Assign more homework and more projects.
  • Change the way the current academic grading system works; make it much stricter. If it is a percentage based system, 60% and below should be considered a fail. If it is a letter grade system, anything below B should be considered a fail.

Basically the idea is to keep the teens productive and busy throughout the academic year, including on holidays. The smart ones already know how to make smart choices. The not-so-smart one will now have their hands full.

Distribute books, not condoms. This is the age to learn, not muck around.

Are you-? What? No!

More Science and Maths will just stress the kids out and they will use physical relations as an excuse for stress release and it'll end up creating more problems.

Believe me, I'm all for more studies, infact, this is exactly what I thought my school should have done. Stupid kids fooling around and trying to be 'cool'... I was disgusted by the lack of work and all kids did was give stupid dares like tell someone you love them... etc. But this won't stop them from 'doing it'. Being busy's not going to stop them. 

@bold: Umm, how will this stop pregnancies?
@bold red: If you're increasing course, then why is it only maths and science? Atleast increase stuff they like like poetry or art or something... School is not a torture chamber. You just serve your time and get out, you don't get out robots with math and science engraved into your brains.
-bLEu98- thumbnail

This is how I would tackle it:

• Increase the coursework for middle school and high school students. Add more subjects.
  • Add more syllabus, preferably in Math and Science.
  • Assign more homework and more projects.
  • Change the way the current academic grading system works; make it much stricter. If it is a percentage based system, 60% and below should be considered a fail. If it is a letter grade system, anything below B should be considered a fail.

Basically the idea is to keep the teens productive and busy throughout the academic year, including on holidays. The smart ones already know how to make smart choices. The not-so-smart one will now have their hands full.

Distribute books, not condoms. This is the age to learn, not muck around.

This! ðŸ˜†

Are you serious? Put more pressure than the kids already face. I was hoping our government would try to ease off some pressure from the students. It's pathetic to see how they suffer and I was in that league couple of years ago. And if anything they should be encouraged to read more literature, certainly not Maths and Science!
Keeping teens busy and productive are two different things. And what is productive? They are kids, it's their age to learn, to experience. They have plenty of time ahead to be productive to the society. And they must learn both the good and the bad to be able to differentiate between the two.
It is not acceptable that a kid grows up to be freaking Einstein but he/she doesn't know his/her own body. That is not growth. Though it often happens with Indian kids and I think it's a sad sad state.
And about not so smart ones, I think every kid is special and no matter what choices they make, they will remain special and smart and intelligent and bright.
And the current grading system is more like the caste system. I think this system itself should be abolished. Children shouldn't be graded. There skills need to be tested yes, but the stupid grading system that leave so many of them miserable must be done away with. I can't bear to see the kind of pressure these children go through- parental pressure, studies, society, getting in a prestigious college, cut off! It's maddening.

And add to that sexual repression. It's terrible.

Your suggestions are very dangerous I must conclude. 

Originally posted by: mr.ass

tubectomy? 

😲 ðŸ˜² ðŸ˜²

🤣 ðŸ¤£ ðŸ¤£

That was FUNNY !...😆
twila thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: -bLEu98-

And if anything they should be encouraged to read more literature

Exactly! Literature is equally important as Math and Science. But I may be saying this only because I'm studying.
-bLEu98- thumbnail
Originally posted by: twila

Exactly! Literature is equally important as Math and Science. But I may be saying this only because I'm studying.

I think Literature is far more important than Maths or Science, because it helps you become, a better and sensitive individual. And I maybe saying that because I studied Eng Lit myself, but a lot of my engineer and doctor friends believe the same. ðŸ˜Š