Mahabharat

Character Traits That Define MB

bheegi thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Hi everyone

I'm not sure if this has been done before, but I'd like us to think about that one character trait in each of the main characters of MB that led to the big Kurukshetra war

One word...or just a phrase.

Here is my list (feel free to add your own) Not everyone might agree with me

Bheeshma: Stubborn

Shantanu: lovelorn

Satyavati: selfish

Dhritrashtra: Blind (literal and metaphorically)

Gandhari: Chose to be blind (again, literally and metaphorically)

Kunti: Timid (scared of society)

Pandu: not assertive enough

Vidura: helpless

Yudhishtar: Rule/Dharma follower to the extreme

Bhima: brave

Arjun: dedicated (to his skill, his teacher, his mother, his brothers, Krishna)

Nakul: gentle

Sahdev: silent (even though he could see the future, he remained silent on many occasions)

Draupadi: courageous and outspoken (to the point of angering people like Karna, Duri)

Shakuni: extremely cunning

Duryodhana: envious/jealous

Karna: loyal

Drona: revengeful

Ashwatthama: heartless

Krishna: protected the interest of the Pandavas
Edited by bheegi - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Bheeshma: Epitome of selflessness, loyalty.
His loyalty rested with the kauravas and that's why he sided with them.
Constant observance of vows is the reason he's 'Bheeshma'.
Also, he was a great Tapasvin.
srishtisingh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I am going by human traits
kunti:strong minded woman
dhrit:a tortoise who used to hide in pity of blindness
gandhari:a good wife but not good mother
bheeshma:rock which never moved rather preferred breaking down
dury:stupid and jealous
yudi:too much of trying to follow "written " dharma literally
bheem:emotional
arjun:hardworking
karna:tejasvi yet unsatisfied
krishna:gr8 politician and strategist
shakuni:gr8 gamer
draupadi:clearcut though proudy like everybody in mb
Surya_krsnbhakt thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Hm.. nice traits.
I think I'll add traits for few more characters:
Duryodhana: Impatient
Duhshasana: No thinking
Drupada: Vengeance
Bhima: Proud of his strength
I agree with the traits of Yudhishtira and BHishma: both followed dharma to the point of death
Krishna: Being God - I mean to say, he was God and knew everything, but still didn't wish to change his own script. He knew what was to happen, but unfortunately couldn't do anything to change it..
Balarama: Conflicted in his views (one time he supported Duryodhana, another time opposed)
Jayadratha: feeling of humiliation and revenge
Satyavati: impatient and desirous, but a girl with many virtues
Shikhandini: Dissatisfied with herself
Indra: insecure (about Karna defeating Arjuna) (but also in general)
Shakuni: Cunning, and as Krishna said, Brilliance, but used for wrong purposes

Thats all I can think of for now!
bheegi thumbnail
Thanks for your inputs.

Most of us think Yudi followed dharma to the extreme. Draupadi and Bheem confronted him at times but he never wavered from his 'dharam'

Interestingly, it's only Yudi who made it to heaven and never fell on the mountain to heaven.

To me, this is the most conflicting aspect of MB. A man who gambled away his kingdom, his family and wife was still worthy of heaven because he followed the path of dharam to a T. All others were punished for their character flaws (vanity, pride, partiality etc)
Justitia thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: bheegi

Thanks for your inputs.

Most of us think Yudi followed dharma to the extreme. Draupadi and Bheem confronted him at times but he never wavered from his 'dharam'

Interestingly, it's only Yudi who made it to heaven and never fell on the mountain to heaven.

To me, this is the most conflicting aspect of MB. A man who gambled away his kingdom, his family and wife was still worthy of heaven because he followed the path of dharam to a T. All others were punished for their character flaws (vanity, pride, partiality etc)

Part in red - This is the reason why I believe that the whole story of MB is one huge paradox. And therein lies the charm.

That is why it's so complicated and difficult to understand. But the beauty of the Mahabharata lies in its complexity and the conflicting nature of the characters associated with the story. All characters are "human" or "grey" - no black or white. 

bheegi thumbnail
Originally posted by: shani88

Part in red - This is the reason why I believe that the whole story of MB is one huge paradox. And therein lies the charm.

That is why it's so complicated and difficult to understand. But the beauty of the Mahabharata lies in its complexity and the conflicting nature of the characters associated with the story. All characters are "human" or "grey" - no black or white. 

I read somewhere, thet Yudi paid for his sins during the exile years and kurukshetra war. That's why he didn't have any 'baggage' of sins left when he headed towards heaven. I've even read that in reality Yudi is therefore the main protagonist of this epic as his character has shown the most growth and in the end he's the only one who reached a higher plane by capturing his inner demons...I'm still trying to understand all of this :)

Yes, that's the beauty of MB. A flawed but perfect story