Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

realitybites

realitybites

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 7:48am | IP Logged
I read the second article published in two major English dailies in India in a week. Last Sunday it was HT and this Sunday TOI. Both the articles state that Indians are amongst the most racist in the world. And if this was not enough they further point out that we practice the worst kind of racism in the world. I thought it would be interesting to garner different perspectives on the issue.

The excerpts are

(From TOI: As the man pressed the handgun against a twittering artery on my neck, the crawling train stopped with a jerk and his face became clear in the sweep of white light slicing through the coach. Then he spoke in a blood-curdling baritone: "I got a gun. You got something, brother?" I slipped two $100 bills into his left hand. He looked out, slunk through the sliding doors, turned back and said, "Thank you, bro." With his green eyes piercing my face, the police officer asked me to describe the mugger. "Black man, about 6 feet, good built and glowering eyes," I said. "This could be almost any black man in America. C'mon mister, move on," he snarled. Robbed by a black guy and humiliated by a white cop on a damp night in Chicago, as I dragged my feet through the snow and a frosty gale, I wondered if they are all racists. Do they hate us, the brown-skins?

In Birmingham, I met a middle-aged Indian man who wanted to slit the throat of his daughter because she had a black boyfriend. In Glasgow, I saw a Pakistani girl being kicked and dragged into a car by his brothers from the house of her white boyfriend. In Manhattan, I saw a black boy being punched because he gate crashed a Basement Bhangra party. In the evening I would be at Glassy Junction, a Punjabi bar in Southhall. At both the places, the chatter was always the same: the white man is an evil and the black man is a devil.

Apart from ridiculing the vegetarians as 'ghass-phoos' eaters, Imran Khan, that famous, Oxford educated, sexy, sultan of swing, is infamously on record for referring to India as the south "where we Pathans have always gone to screw women". And in our part of the world, the alleged twice-borns carry a seething hatred for the lower castes and born-agains.

We practice racism in a subtle manner. Through caste and religion, we have institutionalised and legitimised racism. That's why we have a culture of hate wielded by an equally strong culture of silence. That's why we leave no opportunity to abuse a black man.)

(From HT The moment an Indian comes face to face with another for the first time, all it takes are a few subconscious seconds for an ethnic profile to be formed on either side: Punjabi — rich, friendly, brash. Tamilian — affluent, reserved, intellectual. Bengali — middle class, arrogant, culture vulture. Goan —gregarious, laid back, fun.They're all stereotypes of course.The Northeast states, too have pejorative terms for outsiders, and several have seen attempts at ethnic cleansing directed against 'mainland Indians'.

And if you're outraged at the manner in which all Asians are being tarred with the terrorist brush abroad, hear what Samuel Fatai, a 24-year-old Nigerian studying at Delhi University, has to say: "I've been called kalu, Habshi, Negro, all sorts of names. I've felt insulted so often on flights — airhostesses have a way of letting you know how unwelcome you are, and Indians excel in it. I have been strip-searched at most Indian airports even before 9/11."Says Fatai wryly, "Indians don't want to make friends with a black man. Unless, of course, they get cocaine at discounted rates.")

Do we agree with the contention or is it just another of those hyperbolic reactions the journalists ventilate in their long suppressed desire to be adjudged fair by the clout of world's dominating 'white' media.

Reading the articles at certain issues you cannot but agree. There are some arguments, which evoke counter arguments and justifications but not denial.

I am purposely not posting the complete articles here. Those interested can read the articles on TOI and HT websites, Sunday editions.

PS: I tried using the search button (on 2-3 forums) but its not working & gives error msg Confused . Still tried to sift thru 2-3 pages but its exhausting. Ouch

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Are Indians amongst the most racist?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 8:23am | IP Logged
I posted a similar post long ago. I think it was titled "Are we Indians racists". I highlighted the heights of racism we Indians suffer from. I saw it in India in school when we had a exchange student from Nigeria. Nobody wanted to be even seen speaking with him.

In the U.S i have seen the worst kind of racism by Indians towards the Black and what we and many call the "White trash". I have been highly irritated when my own group of friends have been obviously very racist.
1) Once we went for picnic and set up our barbecue to realise we were next to what they call the "white trash". The whole barbecue was rushed and we had to get the hell out of there ASAP because some member of our group were "terrified" !!!

2) My neighbour is black and when playing ball in my yard when it went to the neighbours yard , my friend commented to me he was afraid to ask my neighbour to pass the ball "lest he pull out his gun and shoot him".

3) 2 neighbourhoods from where i live has a concentrated black population. My friend has decided to take a longer more complicated route to get there .(And there is no known crime there.....but still !! Dead )

4)Recently our friends were exchanging ghostly and paranormal stories, when my friend related her story and said once she felt that there was a "presence" in her room. Her first thought was "ke kahin koi kalu to nahin aa gaya!!" Shocked

Personally i am disgusted by this racism !! I can't tell my friends anything lest it becomes a nasty argument . But yes we Indians are so damn racist that its bad!!! Dead

Edited by Aparna_BD - 03 September 2006 at 8:24am

insouciance

IF-Rockerz

insouciance

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 9:23am | IP Logged
Originally posted by realitybites

Do we agree with the contention or is it just another of those hyperbolic reactions the journalists ventilate in their long suppressed desire to be adjudged fair by the clout of world's dominating 'white' media.

In India,racism exists in the form of the "gora hangover" Ouch

Honestly,I do not feel that the desi journalists cook up stories to beef up their claims...I dont think that they dont overplay the existance of racism...The lunatic fringe are surely racist Dead ,and the "gorapan" hangover which I'm afraid yet exists among many, lends credence to the fact that some are yet so obsessed with skin colour.... Dead

But, racism exists mostly only in certain cadres of the society and among the plebs,and I guess its pretty less among the beau monde ConfusedErmm ....Even in movies and modelling these days,dark girls are accepted(Bipasha,Rani,Tanushree Dutta,Sangeetha Ghosh etcetera)Smile

It'd be an exaggeration to say that every Indian is racist,but many are Ouch ...We Indians accuse the goras of practising rasicm,but we often forget that we too are no less racist,we know it,we often stonewall the discussion Ouch ...Many surely detest the blacks,heck some "gora" indians look at some dark people as though they are earthen scumAngry

Imran Khan is more jingoistic than racist...C'mon,most of us would have heard his risible commentaries imbued with acerbic wit which tees me off to no endDead ...On the other hand,Ramiz RAja is more impartialClap

Edited by Buffie - 03 September 2006 at 9:26am

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 11:50am | IP Logged
Yes, it is true to an extent. We have derogatory names for every community. In North, anyone with Oriental looks is Chinky, anyone from South is a Madrasi, anyone with dark complexion is Kalu, every Rickshaw-puller/Mazdoor/Daily wage earner is a Bihari and is a 3rd class person, we are taught since childhood that Banias are cunning people. Everyone loves to make fun of everyone else. Don't how it is in South and other parts of Country. Our movies also share the blame, they still portray people in a streotyped fashion. Pata nahin yeh sab kaise khatm hoga? Ouch

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 12:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SolidSnake

Yes, it is true to an extent. We have derogatory names for every community. In North, anyone with Oriental looks is Chinky, anyone from South is a Madrasi, anyone with dark complexion is Kalu, every Rickshaw-puller/Mazdoor/Daily wage earner is a Bihari and is a 3rd class person, we are taught since childhood that Banias are cunning people. Everyone loves to make fun of everyone else. Don't how it is in South and other parts of Country. Our movies also share the blame, they still portray people in a streotyped fashion. Pata nahin yeh sab kaise khatm hoga? Ouch

Deepak racism is against other races.Embarrassed What you mentioned is true and does make us "bigot".

But we often confuse the term "racism" ! Its only meant for different races-  Africans, Caucasions, Chinese origin, Hispanic and our race -India, Pakistan, Bagladesh makes us of the same race.Embarrassed

*TiA*

*TiA*

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 12:36pm | IP Logged
i dnt agree. i dnt think tht its justifiable 2 say tht an entire race...in this case indians...r racist. u cant put the attitute of a small minority against those of different cultures...on the rest of the indian population. 2 a certain degree...sum indians do still have animosity against muslims n in sum cases they dnt agree with their children gettin in2 a relationship with muslims...bt it is lyk tht with black n white ppl also.

however on the other hand...i feel indians r the least rascist ppl in the world...bcos ther r many indians living in all parts of the world n wheras they accept and adapt themselves 2 the western way n know about their culture n religious beliefs...the vast majority of the western population dnt. n i feel tht they r mre rascist. they dnt evn wna no about other cultures or respect their beliefs n js make comments lyk get out of our country n go bck 2 ur own country...thts nt very civilised. btw...this is js an xample...im not sayin every1 is lyk tht...Embarrassed ...bt i do think westerners r more self-absorbed.

Edited by *TiA* - 03 September 2006 at 12:40pm

Aparna_BD

IF-Dazzler

Aparna_BD

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 1:06pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *TiA*

i dnt agree. i dnt think tht its justifiable 2 say tht an entire race...in this case indians...r racist. u cant put the attitute of a small minority against those of different cultures...on the rest of the indian population. 2 a certain degree...sum indians do still have animosity against muslims n in sum cases they dnt agree with their children gettin in2 a relationship with muslims...bt it is lyk tht with black n white ppl also.

however on the other hand...i feel indians r the least rascist ppl in the world...bcos ther r many indians living in all parts of the world n wheras they accept and adapt themselves 2 the western way n know about their culture n religious beliefs...the vast majority of the western population dnt. n i feel tht they r mre rascist. they dnt evn wna no about other cultures or respect their beliefs n js make comments lyk get out of our country n go bck 2 ur own country...thts nt very civilised. btw...this is js an xample...im not sayin every1 is lyk tht...Embarrassed ...bt i do think westerners r more self-absorbed.

Tia we are talking of Indians amongst the blacks. Thats what racist means. Hindu-muslim is NOT a race !!!!!!!!!

How many Indians have you seen very chummy with the African Brits in UK or the African-Americans in U.S  ? They are shy of the "black" colour.

Edited by Aparna_BD - 03 September 2006 at 1:08pm

SolidSnake

IF-Rockerz

SolidSnake

Posted: 03 September 2006 at 1:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Aparna_BD

Deepak racism is against other races.Embarrassed What you mentioned is true and does make us "bigot".

But we often confuse the term "racism" ! Its only meant for different races-  Africans, Caucasions, Chinese origin, Hispanic and our race -India, Pakistan, Bagladesh makes us of the same race.Embarrassed

Oops! But both are equally bad...we seem to have forgotten how we were treated when we were ghulam (Dogs and Indians are not allowed).Angry

Post Reply New Post

Go to top