"Mahabharat- Different Versions -Perspectives" - Page 4

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by Sabhayata

@Medha :Yes very intrested๐Ÿ˜†
this is the same one in which Gandhari is in love with pandu and tries to kill kunti right.Please tell me can i read it online

Yes!๐Ÿ˜†

Actually, Shakuni mama wanted Kunti maate and had a battle with Pandu over her. Obviously, Shakuni lost. He asked Pandu to spare him and told him that he had a beautiful Sister, Gandhari who will marry Pandu.

Pandu forgave him but had Gandhari Marry his blind brother Dhritrashtra.Gandhari felt insulted and helpless.

She vowed to make Kuntis life hell and truly hated her.

Shakuni just followed his sister and served Pandu as the PM for a while but then Pandu died. After that, he seved Dhrit and Duri as the PM.

To keep them both happy, and due to lust for power and wealth he performed many atrocities against the Pandavas. Not because he cared for Gandhari.

Gandhari hated Kunti and Pandavas and almost Killed Kunti too, there was a event where she bathed in blood of someone she thought was Kunti.

She taught the Kauravas to hate Pandavas.

After Pandu passed away, Shakuni physically molested Kunti who vowed to never wear a blouse if not made of Shakunis skin.

Arjuna helped Karna in winning a girl in marriage.

His most beautiful wife was Suprabha

Javanese Kings claimed direct desendent from Arjuna, and through him to the Gods in hindu culture.

Nakul and Sahdeva ruled Shalyas kingdom after his death i think.

Yudhishtira won the archery Comp. between Pandava and Kaurava, the winner was to marry Draupadi

ALTERNATE: other story is that there was a comp. in which Draupadis Uncle had to be defeated in a duel, whoever defeated him will Marry Draupadi.

Only Bheema was a match for him. But bheema was already married so Draupadi married Yudhishtira. ( @Vrish ๐Ÿฅณ)

Originally posted by Medha.S

Oh yes i was wondering about it! Shikhandni tricked Arjuna into marrying him i think. She was a very good archer and she used to learn from Arjuna. She saw him during his marriage to Subhadra and after that she was hellbent on becoming his wife.She somehow had him become his teacher. Then after the completion of her education, she told him that she would marry him if he would find a woman who could defeat her in Archery.

Draupadis swayamvar ( which was actually an archery comp. between Kauravas and Pandavas๐Ÿ˜†) was won by Yudhishtira.

But Draupadi was the younger one out of the sisters.

Okay, so who was the woman who defeated Shikhandini in archery?

And Shikhandini's marriage to Arjun here happened after Subhadra's?  I'd have thunk that Shikhandini would have married Arjun @ the same time that Arjun married Draupadi.  But coming to think of it, Shikhandini would be Draupadi's devrani (since the latter was married to Nakul/Sahadev) as well as jethani (since the latter was married to Yudisthir/Bhima)

Or was Draupadi monoandrous in this version?
Originally posted by Medha.S

Yes!๐Ÿ˜†

Actually, Shakuni mama wanted Kunti maate and had a battle with Pandu over her. Obviously, Shakuni lost. He asked Pandu to spare him and told him that he had a beautiful Sister, Gandhari who will marry Pandu.

Pandu forgave him but had Gandhari Marry his blind brother Dhritrashtra.Gandhari felt insulted and helpless.

She vowed to make Kuntis life hell and truly hated her.

Shakuni just followed his sister and served Pandu as the PM for a while but then Pandu died. After that, he seved Dhrit and Duri as the PM.

To keep them both happy, and due to lust for power and wealth he performed many atrocities against the Pandavas. Not because he cared for Gandhari.

Gandhari hated Kunti and Pandavas and almost Killed Kunti too, there was a event where she bathed in blood of someone she thought was Kunti.

She taught the Kauravas to hate Pandavas.

After Pandu passed away, Shakuni physically molested Kunti who vowed to never wear a blouse if not made of Shakunis skin.

Arjuna helped Karna in winning a girl in marriage.

His most beautiful wife was Suprabha

Javanese Kings claimed direct desendent from Arjuna, and through him to the Gods in hindu culture.

Nakul and Sahdeva ruled Shalyas kingdom after his death i think.

Yudhishtira won the archery Comp. between Pandava and Kaurava, the winner was to marry Draupadi

ALTERNATE: other story is that there was a comp. in which Draupadis Uncle had to be defeated in a duel, whoever defeated him will Marry Draupadi.

Only Bheema was a match for him. But bheema was already married so Draupadi married Yudhishtira. ( @Vrish ๐Ÿฅณ)

Oh, I like this one.  Not the one of Pandu forcing Shakuni to give Gandhari to Dhritarashtra, but the latter part - Gandhari trying to kill Kunti & so on ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Hey, I could tweak this and do an OS where Shakuni gets who he wants, Kunti, and gives Gandhari to Pandu.  Dhritarashtra - just leave him single. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ  Pandu can get 100 sons from Gandhari and any number from Madri.

So did Kunti get her desired blouse from Shakuni's skin?  She must have been a sight to watch.

So Bhima was monogynous - married to only Hidimbi?

Arjun helping Karna get a girl - I can see where this serial has gotten that from.  So Starjuna actually takes things from Indonesian and other MBs?
@Medha - now you have scared be away from Yagyaseni and POI...๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ  I do not buy this secret love bizness not even with Arjuna๐Ÿ˜† forget Karna.  Really Drau insults Karna at swayambar and he insults her at VH.  Where is the love?  As for Arjuna - ok I see some merit 2 that theory since he won her & Yuddhi ka illusion, butI have faith in Draupadi -- how could she be even a mini-Sati if not for devotion to all Patis??  Don't get me wrong she was a bit manipulative with Bhim...but, y stop there...any woman who has to handle 5 warriors has 2 b able to manipulate them a bit.  And didn't Bheem not Karna get her the lotus?
===
@Sabhayata - I haven't seen Shikandini's secret love for Bhisma yet in Peter Brook's... the Pandavas find her wandering without food or water during their exile.  She had not aged and looked even better.  I either missed the war or fell asleep๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ  Have 2 rewind n confirm.  Last thing I remember is Krishna ka gita gyaan!  ๐Ÿ˜ณ
Originally posted by Sabhayata

Jaya is a book which is written by Devdutt patnaik about Mahabharat its quite a good book.It doenst not only tell incidents that are there in ved vyas's MB  but also what it says about the same incident in diferent folk lores and dance dramas.I quite like that book i suggest after reading ved vyas's translation you should read this book first and then books like mrityunjay,ajaya or POI which is from different characters perspective
As far as i remember there isnt any major deviation between jaya and ved vyas's translated version.Its quite close only major deviation i remember is towards the end.In Ved vya's translated version the whole incident of pandavas going to hell is just yudi's illusion but in jaya it was a reality.That is the only major deviation as per me
As per Jaya pandavas go to hell becuase of the following reasons

1)Bheem-Glutonny
2)Arjuna-insecurity
3)Nakul-Pride
4)Sahdev-smugness
5)Drau-Becuase she loved arjuna the most and manipulated Bheem
6)Karna-Becuase he wasnt loyal to Dury as he promised not to kill 4 pandavas
Infact Yudi is the actual hero as he is the true Jaya becuase in teh end when he took a dip in the holy water he was truly able to overcome hsi hatred for his cousins and forgive them hence he is the true Jaya

OK - I will start with Jaya when my books arrive in 2 wks.  ๐Ÿ˜†  I am curious to learn what made Arjuna insecure (eklavya ya karna ya both) and Sahadev smug (this one I can guess at)

Agree with you about Sanjay Khan's draupadi.  Mandira Bedi was a total letdown.  And the production values for that MB version is wretched.  Don't like it at all.
Edited by AnjanaYYZ - 10 years ago
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Okay, so who was the woman who defeated Shikhandini in archery?

And Shikhandini's marriage to Arjun here happened after Subhadra's?  I'd have thunk that Shikhandini would have married Arjun @ the same time that Arjun married Draupadi.  But coming to think of it, Shikhandini would be Draupadi's devrani (since the latter was married to Nakul/Sahadev) as well as jethani (since the latter was married to Yudisthir/Bhima)

Or was Draupadi monoandrous in this version?

Indo have their own different variations, in the Wayang version Draupadi is not listed as the wives of the other four. Perhaps in Javanese Lit. she is the wife all.

Not Arjuna at least, who is mentioned to have 41 wives and Draupadi is not one of them.

Shikhandini was defeated by Larasati who was another wife of Arjuna.
His other wife was from Hidimbs Kingdom. Lady Jimambang or something close to that.

While Ghatokatch had married Arjunas daughter, Parajiva.

Bhimas two other wives ( if we are counting Draupadi anyways) is a Naagkanya and the other is said to be the daughter of Goddess Durga.

Arjunas other wives are goddeses, after he helped the gods in heaven, they marry him to nymphs.
There is Supraba.

Ulupi is mentioned but not Chitra. A brahmin girl married him too.

Also, Bhanumati had loved him even before her wedding to Duryodhan. She is married to Arjuna after Duryodhnana dies.

I think Ashwatthama killed Bhanumati though.

It also tells about Abhimanyus marriage with Krishnas daughter.

Actually, Iravan too had married one of Krishna's daughter.

It also mentiones that Karna and Arjuna looked quite identical because of which Draupadi mistook Karna for Arjuna the first time in her swayamvara.

Oh, and it also mentioned that Krishna and Arjuna were in Rukmini swayamvara.

Nakula and sahdeva  were married to Viduras Daughters.

Edited by Medha.S - 10 years ago
Originally posted by .Vrish.

Oh, I like this one.  Not the one of Pandu forcing Shakuni to give Gandhari to Dhritarashtra, but the latter part - Gandhari trying to kill Kunti & so on ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Hey, I could tweak this and do an OS where Shakuni gets who he wants, Kunti, and gives Gandhari to Pandu.  Dhritarashtra - just leave him single. ๐Ÿ˜ˆ  Pandu can get 100 sons from Gandhari and any number from Madri.

So did Kunti get her desired blouse from Shakuni's skin?  She must have been a sight to watch.

So Bhima was monogynous - married to only Hidimbi?

Arjun helping Karna get a girl - I can see where this serial has gotten that from.  So Starjuna actually takes things from Indonesian and other MBs?

๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿคฃ

Seriously, whenever Shakuni stares at Kunti i get the creeps because of this fact.๐Ÿ˜†

Now that you mentioned it, in some Kerala version, Gandhari tried to Poison Kunti during her Pregnancy. Kunti was 7 month pregnant. Dont know with which Son.๐Ÿ˜†

In Indo version, the boys were Pandus biological sons while the gods were Spirit Fathers.

Which raises the question that who was Karnas Father.

Also, Gandhari knew about the Varnawrath conspiracy, actually she was he one who pushed for it, not Shakuni who just went along with the wishes of Sister and Bhanja.

All this is really fascinating.  My  interest in the epic has come alive again.  I recall Kal El once writing about Malaysian Ramayans and other South East Asian versions of the epic; their version of the Mahabharata seems just as interesting/exciting.

I think a good reason for Karna to have gone to hell would have been his asking Krishna to keep his identity a secret, so that the Pandavas don't give him the kingdom that he'd then give Duryodhan.  As a result, Karna denied Duryodhan the thing he wanted most - the entire kingdom - and contributed towards making the war inevitable.
Originally posted by devashree_h

Exactly why I was disappointed Medha. I wanted to read something from Draupadi's perspective. I thought Yajnaseni is a book from that perspective. But I dont want something in Alternate Universe๐Ÿ˜†, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for elaborating with examples.๐Ÿ˜‰

I don't really think that any novel written from a particular characters perspective can becoming interesting enough without adding a lot of fiction and biased imagination of the authors mind.Obviously, the writers would want to write something interesting rather than authentic.

I would suggest you go on Fanfiction.net and read a sci-fi version of Mahabharat. It has many chapters and the best characterizations.๐Ÿ˜†
It is a more interesting read than Yajnaseni.

When Dhrishtdhyumna angrily tells Draupadi that she cannot marry 5 men, she shoots back that if he and Shikandi can have many wives then she too can have many Husbands.

Dhrisht says that it is different " you are a woman"
Draupadi says " And you are a sexist"

It also has the best Gandhari who chides Kunti for worrying too much, 'you cant find your one Son, but 30 of mine are unaccountable for and 2 of them have landed themselves in a sex scandal. Do you see me worrying?"

Also, in the world and Nakula-Sahdeva are no less than the Fred-George twins from Harry Potter.I completely fell in love with the two. They wreck havoc all over HP palace resulting in Bhishmas increasing blood pressure. They are genius and too many explosions are involved and they both are so beautiful and oddly intelligent that Duryodhana seems to be scared of the two.

Medha, that sounds fun!!๐Ÿ˜† I am surprised FF.net has MB section.๐Ÿ˜†