Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

charminggenie thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
@Hadey -
Nope ,  if the mythology is to be studied, both South and North equally have had one narration, though we can argue about the names and certain character sketches. The basic nomenclature of the tales have had a unified presence all over India.There doesn't exist a tale about any God that has no bearing to both the regions. Hence to say South adapted North is a gross misjudgment.  North has always been way behind to actually take to these tales. They were worshiped and practiced in South primarily. shivas and vaishnavas origin?

Association and origin does have an  impact, take Buddhism, originated in India but is more associated with South east.  Sari was not an indian  invention but greek in origin, yet the association in present context is Indian. 

Agree the protest and the subsequent banning has taken the attention away from the real discussion surrounding the book. Sad misfortune. 
Devdutt Pattanaik is good but there I feel the real authors and the true texts are way more simpler . Caste issues/women stuff  have root cause in the human Psychology that has nothing to do with religion. Since religion is abstract, subjective hence can be defined in interpretations suiting individual convenience, it tends to be a decent excuse for our actions.

I don't mind the God worship and won't dispute it's significance in  Hinduism  , a religion is individualistic and each has their own right to practice it what form or another. No Judging. I won't even say what truly encompasses Hinduism coz I will never know, but what I do understand is that at the end it is, a belief and not fact.Fact makes it objective and hence will always have different views, with might be antagonizing. 

enigmatic_zephy thumbnail
Originally posted by: return_to_hades

Is it in Om written in Hindi or English or another text?

hindi

I think it is a combination of coincidence and mind tricks.

has to be.. most awesome thing wud be if someone at some point in time saw the symbol first and associated it with gods πŸ˜›.. twist ending πŸ˜†

Back in the day when aliens were in vogue and Mars was being studied, reputed astronomers claimed to see intricate canal networks on Mars and recreated canal network drawings. These were to be proof that water and civilization once existed or exists in Mars. Later on after many missions that were unfruitful it was determined that these canal networks were a combination of coincidence and mind tricks. Some canal like structures do exist, but the faith in finding water made people see it into way beyond what it was.

That aside. What if there are divine symbols, words, messages planted all over earth in hieroglyphics or languages we just cannot read? If God were to leave a sign for his people what would it be Mandarin - the most spoken, English - the most popular, Hebrew, Latin, Sanskrit?

those who believe in god - specially ones who consider him/ her to be an entity on its own and not like god's particle that is ubiquitous ( meaning we are ourselves god) .. i wonder what logic do they use to convince themselves of its existence  - i mean where does he sleep/ sit/ watch his pupils from.. isn't universe too big.. is god andromeda-,milkyway specific .. lol

power of nature in believe in... but then that power itself is a mixture of various physical chemical forces that we are not aware of.. and we are too inconsequential to impact our entire lifetime..every moment is a statistical equation ( I do believe Maths is mother of all sciences, it is πŸ˜›)  too many variables ( call it luck, faith, destiny) in the equation - lot of them we r not even aware of..

But my all time best mystery is TIME... time travel is theoretically impossible ( atleast worm theories are not practical)... and even if it were to be true, we wud have had visitors from the future by now πŸ˜›

What i absolutely love and do not understand is.. WHY TIME EXISTS.. OR why is it only progressive.. ah!!!

There is never never ever a chance to go back and repeat things..

We, the mighty humans..might just be a by product of something nature was making.. who knows.. or we may indeed be the most intelligent awesome beings ever to be born.. whether a planned evolution or a mistake..

and this world as we know it is what it is.. no way of knowing what other possibilities could be..

schrodinger's wave equation - sigh!
Edited by enigmatic_zephy - 10 years ago
charminggenie thumbnail
Hadey- No idea  but I have heard the symbol has been the same since centuries and has withstand erosion/flooding etc. Its strategic location to lot of ancient holy sites 9 non-commercial) makes it even more mystic. 
See the pic not sure how  clear it is  https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZGcX0SEil_-08WYmoRRkYeY5Thn0MNMVSf4goSBhAvBCy8ZhA 

Language : - I think God/creator (if you believe) will speak to you in which ever language you best understand him. So if for a Indian it is in Om , there can be a Hebrew symbol calling its own. 

@ P .S  - Don't tell the others that we have this conversation, I will loose my street creed otherwiseπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

@Zephs - Don't tempt me,  you have thrown the ultimate riddle out there - TIME. I miss vintage, he had an interesting insight.
Edited by charminggenie - 10 years ago
enigmatic_zephy thumbnail
Originally posted by: charminggenie

Hadey- No idea  but I have heard the symbol has been the same since centuries and has withstand erosion/flooding etc. Its strategic location to lot of ancient holy sites 9 non-commercial) makes it even more mystic. 

See the pic not sure how  clear it is  https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZGcX0SEil_-08WYmoRRkYeY5Thn0MNMVSf4goSBhAvBCy8ZhA 

Language : - I think God/creator (if you believe) will speak to you in which ever language you best understand him. So if for a Indian it is in Om , there can be a Hebrew symbol calling its own. 

@ P .S  - Don't tell the others that we have this conversation, I will loose my street creed otherwiseπŸ˜‰πŸ˜†

@Zephs - Don't tempt me,  you have thrown the ultimate riddle out there - TIME. I miss vintage, he had an interesting insight.

i miss him too.. somehow our views were always same πŸ˜Š n he always has an answer πŸ˜›
charminggenie thumbnail
I know, Vintage come back already!!πŸ€—
Humans are such social animals though, religion/culture feel like self-imposed boundaries . Can there ever be true escape from this zoo? I wonder.

return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

@Genie

Most Gods were born or ethnically associated with North India. Yet South Indians accept them as their own. My emphasis was that origin doesn't matter. You illustrate what I was trying to say with the Buddhism example. Where Buddha originated doesn't matter to Buddhism. India maybe associated with Hinduism, but I think we limit the scope of Hinduism by trying to control ownership.

Although, I think you are mistaken about the narrative being  the same. There are varying narratives of the myths. Myths vary amidst Shaivaites and Vaishnavites too. There are village Gods and region Gods associated with a region. There are many different Hindu mythos evolved with time and region.

Btw, why will you lose your street cred?

Regarding the symbol: Cannot see image now. Will check at home. I think the world has many mysteries and coincidences that have more rational explanation than the divine. I bet the Jesus toast is a way more common phenomenon, but only those seeking divine signs see it.

If God speaks in a language that the individual understands then wouldn't the OM symbol change to something else for people in other religions. God wouldn't put a text for only Hindus/Indians  - unless God is a Hindu/Indian.

Originally posted by: charminggenie

I know, Vintage come back already!!πŸ€—

Humans are such social animals though, religion/culture feel like self-imposed boundaries . Can there ever be true escape from this zoo? I wonder.

You guys are weird. I always found him weird in an alien sort of way.

He should be back now. Ex members always come back when I say something about them.

I think our problem is anything that we cannot answer, the answer is divine. That along with my way or highway.

charminggenie thumbnail
@Except the popular one like Ram or Krishna , into many gods were born in North India. South India treats them as their own because their actions did affect them in one way or another. Ramayana is as much as tale of North as of South, Ram linked it. Ravaan is considered a learned and respected down south while he has a different persona up north.  Tales are varied but neither the the joining thread has been common .  I think we differ here too much , unless we go into specific examples and that would be an irrelevant loop.
Origin /association does have a say. Like Hinduism is not considered to have originated in India by many but was a adapted from Aryans yet is significantly associated with India. Association/popularity/romanticization does play a big role. 

@ Dude, imagine telling axy that you discussed this with me. I can hear her  "useless" from miles!!

if God has indeed left msgs all around , there can be many different symbols around the world yet to identified.  Perhaps when OM was carved the -followers  around were sanskrit speaking/hindus or maybe it was one of them who came up with the theory that the topology symbolizes OM and hence the myth spread. For me the relevance and the reason behind it doesn't matter, if it gives peace to a soul for whatever reasons I am content. this Question has no incorrect answer . Rest is meaningless debate about something that is abstract and subjective.

charminggenie thumbnail
Hayeee no, Vintage was awesome. He had some theories about God, time and just about anything. He could almost get me to agree to him .
Hadey - Him and you would have made an interesting pair to discuss this God business.

@Genie - Axy is an iconoclast :P

Haha, but what about souls like me who cannot be content or peaceful until questions are satiated. I'm like Paresh Rawal in Judai with a question mark on my head?