Page 1
Page   of 147
Page 3 Page 147

charminggenie

IF-Rockerz

charminggenie

Posted: 20 February 2014 at 7:03am | IP Logged
More economics:-

Facebook actually paid 4 billion in cash and the rest in stock. 19 billion with 2 billion in breakup fees. Forget the stock as that is probably locked up and is accounted for but the cash payment is actually equivalent to 1,5 $ per Facebook shareholder or 2.2% like a dividend.
F b purchased instagram with 70mil users and thats now grown to over 180mil and its making money. Once they integrate FB with whatsapp the user base will reach 750mil within a year. How they will monetize it remains to be seen but there is a plan here and so far it has been working.

Phew , I feel like going all banker on this deal! My industry needs these exciting deals!

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitratehindu4lyfVinzy

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Chatter patter: chat thread 8 (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

hindu4lyf

IF-Rockerz

hindu4lyf

Posted: 20 February 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged
CG I could totally use your analysis skills on my upcoming uni projects!! lol
Indian politics is such a joke. I switched on NDTV to see some politician trying to express his opinion on Telangana with a bunch of 5-7 protesters (also politicians) chanting 'wapas lo, wapas lo' without even giving the guy a chance to speak.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

charminggenieVinzy

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 20 February 2014 at 7:26am | IP Logged
Originally posted by charminggenie

More economics:-

Facebook actually paid 4 billion in cash and the rest in stock. 19 billion with 2 billion in breakup fees. Forget the stock as that is probably locked up and is accounted for but the cash payment is actually equivalent to 1,5 $ per Facebook shareholder or 2.2% like a dividend.
F b purchased instagram with 70mil users and thats now grown to over 180mil and its making money. Once they integrate FB with whatsapp the user base will reach 750mil within a year. How they will monetize it remains to be seen but there is a plan here and so far it has been working.

Phew , I feel like going all banker on this deal! My industry needs these exciting deals!

Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook has purchased some of the top social network companies out there:

1. Instagram (photo sharing) $1bn 
- April 2012

2. Face.com (face recognition) $100m 
- June 2012

3. Atlas (advertiser suite) 'less than $100m' 
- February 2013

4. Snaptu (Mobile App developer) $60-70m 
- March 2011

5. FriendFeed (platform to share activities over several social networks) $47.5m 
- August 2009

6. Friendster patents (social network patents, friend-of-friend connections) $40m 
- May 2010

7. ConnectU (social network) $31m
- June 2008

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

charminggenie

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 20 February 2014 at 7:28am | IP Logged
Boost: WhatsApp is still growing and is predicted to have a billion users soon
+10

Boost: WhatsApp is still growing and is predicted to have a billion users soon

WhatsApp in numbers

Source: dailymail

charminggenie

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 February 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged

IMO we are going through a social media bubble. Whatsapp does not have a steady stream of income. It could be monetized as a paid service or do a premium version/free version with ads. But then there are OS competitors like Telegram etc. Social media is valuable, but more as a marketing and communications tool rather than an investment tool. It makes sense as a marketing tool because it can yield high ROI due to the low upfront costs. For some reason the investment value of these apps is being driven up. Not as rapid and vociferous as the Dotcom bubble, but I think social medias artificial demand will diminish and the bubble will bust eventually. But it wont be as devastating as the Dotcom bubble. Players like FB, Google, MS are far more diversified and the OS players are not doing it for income.

charminggenie

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 February 2014 at 7:59am | IP Logged

So injured Dhoni out of Asia Cup. Kohli to lead. Is this genuinely an injury, or a means to gradually wean Dhoni out? I heard rumors that after the IPL-CSK scandals, Dhoni's defensive captaincy - he would be ousted soon. Injury seems convenient amidst these rumors.

charminggenie

IF-Rockerz

charminggenie

Posted: 20 February 2014 at 8:41am | IP Logged
@hades - ofcourse fb is going to monetize whatsapp. Even without advertising , you need to feed phone numbers for whatsapp which gives another data to fb . This phone numbers can be used for advertising purposes.  Big big data mining industry.
Messaging is not the long term revenue generation means, but it is the evolution by including functionality such as payments, app distribution, social features etc .

whatsapp has kinda replaced sms in europe/asia. So it makes sense to own world's texting and conversations. If the rumors of a facebook phone is to be believed, pretty smart move to have the top 4 apps belonging to facebook. 

Lets face it social media is here to stay for the long haul,, some will win and there will be few sad stories. And fb has just made sure that they will be on the bright side. 
Shares are already over the roof for fb and twitter  , this is a good correction . Hold for sometime but for longer terms the company remains safe. 

Social media and such sites are already the parallel industry to google and facebook. The players will keep on changing though and hence buying the major share in this upcoming industry makes sense. With more and more technology and the differentiate being varied apps for smartphones , this will only get bigger.

@ thats save Dhoni tactic.

@Telangana 29th state and the joke continues.

@H4L- The boys are only talking about this, its actually so funny !

Edited by charminggenie - 20 February 2014 at 8:40am

return_to_hades

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 February 2014 at 9:02am | IP Logged

I just downloaded Telegram today. If FB monetizes WhatsApp, I'm out. Social media is here to stay forever, just like Dotcom never died. But I think some valuations are inaccurate and overrated. 

Save Dhoni? Elaborate please. With Virat becoming more popular as the captaincy candidate, doesn't such a move risk Dhoni too?

Post Reply New Post

Go to top