Fan Fictions

ArHi FF|Mohabat Door Jaane Na De| #4, Last Part-pg.16 *Complete!*

-doe-eyes- thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Thread#4

Thank you sooo very much to 'saucechips' for the beeeaaautiful banner - you're a sweetheart!

And this beautiful creation is by "varshapan"! Thank you so much! I'm really touched :)) 

This will be the last thread, I promise you that! There's just a couple of pages left on the previous one and I don't want it to push beyond the 150 page limit, so I guess I had to make a new one :s There's just two chapters left, plus an epilogue (I think?)

Plot overview: The story starts a month after Arnav has married Khushi, but the circumstances are way different as compared to the show, since I started this before the whole forced marriage thing happened in the serial...The concept goes like this- Shashi Gupta has regained use of his limbs and speech, and because of a twist of fate the first person he gets to talk to is Arnav, to whom he discloses everything about Shyam's misdeed. The story picks up from there- with Arnav's pain, regret, guilt, realisation of love for Khushi, repentance, as well as Khushi's hurt, her anger, her grief and how she slowly begins to recover.

So if you haven't read this FF before...please do give it a try, I would really appreciate feedback :)

INDEX:

Thread 1 (Chapters 1-25)

Thread 2 (Chapters 26-40)

Thread 3 (Chapters 41-48)

Chapter 49 (Below)

Chapter 50 (Part I)- Page 12

Chapter 50 (Part II)- Page 16

Links to : My Index

I reserve all rights over these works of fiction and request that readers do not reproduce/copy/modify them elsewhere and/or claim credit. Thanks :)

Edited by -doe-eyes- - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bablubli thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Congratulations on the new thread Nafisa! So looking forward to your writing & especially the progression of this story. It is undoubtedly one of the finest redemption stories on IPK.
Much love & take care!
-doe-eyes- thumbnail

Hiii!!!!!! 

Gosh this made me so excited :P
-doe-eyes- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: bablubli

Congratulations on the new thread Nafisa! So looking forward to your writing & especially the progression of this story. It is undoubtedly one of the finest redemption stories on IPK.

Much love & take care!

Thank you so much! That is so incredibly sweet of you to say, I'm flattered 😳 I hope you'll also like the coming chapters too :) 
chotidesi thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Congratulations on the new thread! I discovered this story rather late, but I'm all caught up and super excited to read the next update :) I love love LOVE your writing!
-doe-eyes- thumbnail

*hyperventilates*

So...it seems the closer I get to finishing a story, the more nervous I get :s After coming this far, I really don't want to mess this up, especially since this chapter is another crucial one...and pretty long too. Hooboy.

Please keep in mind that each segment is written from the mindset of a certain character...you'll probably get why I'm saying that once you've read further into the chapter :)

Can I also take this opportunity to THANK ALL OF YOU for your immense support for this story- you guys blow me away, seriously. I mean, when I first started this, I never thought it would even surpass one thread so this...really means a lot to me. thank you! 

Chapter Forty Nine

Khushi recognised the balding pate of the man seated to the right in the space of milliseconds.

After all, in the bleak, sunless aftermath of her wedding day, she had managed to smile a little bit because of the boisterous jokes and the good-natured ribbing with which he had directed her sign her fate alongside her husband's. It might have been against her will then, but it made no difference now- if the family lawyer of the Raizadas was to present another marriage certificate in front of her she would have signed it without a second thought.

But that was not the point.

The point was that, today, it was evidently not as festive an occasion as a wedding that had brought them together under the same roof.

And fittingly, the large, amenable man was aptly sombre in the black robes of his profession, his expression grave, his mouth pinched in seriousness, a pair of thin, gold-rimmed glasses set over a shrewd pair of eyes.

He fit in perfectly with the backdrop of the scene- seated before an inspector's desk in the ascetic, Spartan interior of the police station.

Beside him, Di sat turned halfway around her chair- watching them.

Regarding them almost warily. Almost...cautiously.

Khushi's breath was coming in short pants; it did not take her long to realise that a panic attack was upon her, her mind a convoluted mess in an attempt to comprehend just what was going on here. All the way to the police station, panic had bubbled up between them, surging through the car's interior and straining against the floodgates to burst out. The need for words hung like missing faces in photographs between them, but they had been helpless- they did not know what words to use, what to say.

Or even what to think.

And throughout the entire journey, Khushi kept her hand latched firmly on to his, clasped over the gear-shift- so tightly that her knuckles ached, that the pressure of her grip had dulled the feeling up the rest of her arm. But she was adamant- she was not going to let go. She could feel it all, even as the two them stood just a step over the threshold of the chief inspector's office, having barged in there against the protests of subordinates who had faltered at the mere mention of her husband's name. She could feel the dread, the terror, the anxiety, the helplessness, the confusion, vibrating off of him, even though he was so stiff Khushi feared he might shatter on the spot. And so she clasped on to his hands, and even if he were to try to wrench it out of her grip she was not going to let go. For his sake, she diminished her own qualms and her own misgivings, and channelled her patience, her resilience, her support, her reassurance, everything he might need to help him through this ordeal, into her grasp on his hand.

And perhaps he could feel all of it, because even though his fingers were already firmly wrapped about hers, they dug harder into her flesh now, as the seven of them, she and her husband at the door, a constable hovering sheepishly at their shoulder, an able looking inspector facing Di and the lawyer, with another constable seated close by with a notepad on his lap, all sized one another up- all trying to construe the meaning of their circumstances.

This was surreal. This was almost like stepping into an alternate dimension- a parallel world. Khushi had seen her fair share of police stations on the silver screen before, and even she had gradually come to the realisation that many aspects of it and how it worked were probably exaggerated or misrepresented, but even that could not have prepared her for this moment, and the significance of it all assailed her until she was clinging to Arnavji's arm, possibly cutting off his blood circulation, in an attempt not to be blasted away by the chaos that had befallen their little world.

Di had not actually spoken to Shyam when she had said she had spoken to Shyam. Di had lied to them about him coming back. Di was at the police station, and they did not know why.

If it were not for the man next to her, who she could practically feel warring with what was happening around him, with the way the niche he had so carefully created to keep all that he cherished safe suddenly being exposed to uncertainties with daunting consequences, she might have succumbed to the pull of her fear and let it suck her into its ice-cold, ravenous depths.

Instead, she squared her shoulders, taking in a deep breath, and readied herself to brave whatever might happen next. She addressed her sister-in-law.

"Anjali...ji...?"

The look Anjali gave her then stopped the rest of her words.

It was so...sad. So miserable. Even the barely pulled up edges of her mouth looked too melancholy to be called a smile.

"Are we going to fall back on that again?" her sister-in-law asked her almost dejectedly, and Khushi only realised a split second later that she had reverted to calling her "Anjaliji" instead of "Di", as she had used to before the light had started to filter back into her shadowed existence, barely a week ago. It was almost as though, fearful that everything they had managed to knit together would begin to unwind, she had fallen back on old habits to spare herself the anguish.

But Anjali was shaking her head at her, and even though she was admonished her next, she sounded so gentle.

"Di," she said quietly, emphasising the single syllable and letting it draw out, "I told you to call me Di, remember?"

Khushi's sinuses were smarting, but she was not going to try to alleviate the pain.

"Di," she croaked, and she marvelled at how fragile the word sounded in her mouth. Whether or not her coming here to the police station had anything to do with Shyam and everything they had resolved to tell her the night before, it did not change the fact that the truth was to be laid bare today. And she did not know whether the relationship that had flourished under the single title she had been granted the privilege of using would survive that storm.

But she had to hope. For him. For herself. For them.

She took over for Arnav, because the resonance between their clasped hands was enough evidence of how numb he had become- how shell-shocked. Paralysed by the possibility that everything could go fall apart.

"Di, what is...what are you doing here?"

A shadow fell across her face that extinguished her sad little smile, and Anjali waved a vague hand toward the inspector and the constable seated and observing the curious scene unfolding before them.

"I just finished making my statement," Anjali said a little faintly; she sounded tired, and Arnavji's fingers flexed beneath hers, but he did not move to speak, nor walk toward his sister. "And now this gentleman is going to read back what I just said."

And then, as though frightened to her wits end and thoroughly unwilling to say what she was about to, Anjali braced a shaky palm over her barely visible baby bump and whispered, "I think...the two of you should listen."

His watch told him it was almost past afternoon, and he knew that he had to leave the bed at some point, but his attempts to get his limbs moving were too half-hearted to have an effect.

There was a reason behind how sluggish everything felt, from the immovable mass of his muscles to the thick fog obscuring his mind, and that reason was not laziness. He had never been a lazy man. If anything, he considered himself more astute than the average individual- it took masterful control of one's own wits to come as far as he had, with his brains being his only asset.

No, there was an entirely different reason he was spread-eagled across cheap covers smelling strongly of mothballs, on a bed that was so dilapidated it threatened to give way under his weight at any moment.

Hunger.

At the thought his stomach growled audibly, and it was such an undignified sound even in the loneliness of his single, small bedroom that it made him cringe. Humiliation laced with spite boiled hot in his veins at how low he had had to fall, his head so heavy he could barely lift it off the flat pillow, his thoughts disjointed and slow as the emptiness behind his abdomen echoed its need for nourishment.

He would have to get out eventually, he knew that. He would have to go through the motions he had been going through for nearly a week now, changing into a presentable set of clothes and making his way out of the cramped, one-storey house he had had occasion to stay in before. He would have to search through all his pockets for any loose change, and he would have to forage for what food he could afford with his pitiable allowance. After all, for all intents and purposes, as long as he did not know for certain where he stood, the show had to go on. He could not abandon character just. He could not let his so-called friend, whose hospitality he was depending on right now, know that this time his visit was not for business, but for something far from innocent.

Hunger.

He was starving. He could feel his pulse drop, could feel his muscles loosen up and disconnect with his brain, could feel consciousness at the fringes of unconsciousness. He had not been able to help it- the money he had had in his wallet was bound to run out sooner or later, and being the calculating person he was, he had spent accordingly, stingy down to the last coin. He could not afford to raise the suspicions of the person whose home he was lodging in- he had accepted the man's invitations for meals one or two times; any more frequently, and he might have given something away. Whatever else may be said of him, he was a proud man- and proud men do not let themselves openly depend on the compassion of others if they can help it.

Hunger.

His eyes are opened to half-slits, but it made little difference- he could barely see, his vision muggy. The ceiling fan above him, a flimsy contraption that made more sound than gave out air, was off- but to his half-blind sight it appeared to swirl, and move from its place and drift across the ceiling.

He needed to get something to eat. He did not know how much longer he could keep himself awake if this kept on. He shouldn't have forgone dinner last night...and then what with missing breakfast this morning...

And at some point, as he lay prone and on the verge of being insensate in the bed, knowing that his "friend" would wonder why he had not emerged from his room even though noon  was heading steadily toward evening, he even considered just giving in, and using one of his bank cards to withdraw some money.

When a man battles with nature, nature has a way of retaliating by stripping one down to their basest of instincts, and just then, Shyam Manohar Jha was battling temptation to end his self-imposed fast.

But he couldn't do that...they might find him...

If they were looking for him...

Were they?

Were they looking for him?

He had to get up.

He needed to get up...he could feel himself drifting into the black nothing residing beyond his conscious mind.

No...have to stay up...

Have to stay...

Up...wake up...

He had not even known he had fallen asleep.

Get up...

He was not sure he wanted to. At least in the darkness of sleep, or perhaps he really had blacked out, he was spared the torture his body was meting out to him.

Wake up already!

There was more clarity here in the darkness than there had been in the daylight.

He pondered, with a curious lack of feeling, whether there was going to be any change in the pitiful lifestyle he had been forced to adopt. A week was the time he had given himself, to stay back, test the waters, gauge what was happening at a distance before he acted once more.

But a week was nearly over, and he knew as little as he had known when he had first fled to Lucknow.

He knew that Shashi Gupta was on the way to recovery, and if the guards planted outside his ward were anything to go by, he had told his brother-in-law about his involvement in his paralysis as well.

Hey! Hey, you! UP!

He shouldn't have run. That only confirmed his guilt, didn't it? Perhaps he could have stayed...perhaps he could have manipulated the situation, perhaps he could have blackmailed the Guptas into keeping mum...perhaps he could have milked Rani Sahiba's unwavering faith in him for his own advantage...

Shyam Jha, either you wake up, or I'm going to drag you to the police station just like this.

In the bleary seconds it took him to peel his eyelids open and take in his surroundings again, the first thought his teetering mind conjured was the belief that dreams during the day do come true.

That was the only explanation he could come up with in his fractured state of mind for the figures looming over him, because his fissured concentration could only focus on their garb.

Uniforms.

More, specifically, police uniforms.

The last of his stability broke down.

"I didn't do it!" he screeched, and his voice burst out of his throat like a blister, thick and throaty and rasping, "I didn't do it!"

"What didn't you do?"

Shyam faltered; he peered short-sightedly up at the face of the person closest to him- a man who was not all that tall, per se, but was brawny enough to be of a formidable build as he loomed over him.

The man had a bristling moustache almost shrouding his mouth, and perhaps by then he was just paranoid, but the moustache looked entirely too reminiscent of the one sported by the man he had tried to kill in cold blood.

Weaving in and out of consciousness, dizzy and nauseous and famished, Shyam blurted out heedlessly, "I didn't hurt him!"

Before he could bring himself to blink, the Inspector was crouching in front of his bed. The sudden movement appeared too fast to his slowed-down senses- it made his gut leap, and with a groan he clamped a hand over his mouth, afraid that he might be sick.

"Now who," questioned the policeman, eyeing him with deceptive calm, "is this him?"

And even in his pathetic state, Shyam was conscious of the uneasy burst of cold blowing into his skull- the unmistakeable feeling that he'd just done something wrong.

It was enough to slap him sober.

With some effort, Shyam managed to haul himself upright, leaning his spine into the wall for support. Passing a slightly shaking hand over his face, Shyam tried to ignore, for the time being, the specks of black swimming about in his vision- a symptom, he knew, of falling blood sugar.

"I'm...sorry..." he rasped out again, fervently hoping that he if he did this right, he could play off his unwitting incriminations as the ramblings of a sick man, "I don't know...what I'm talking about..."

There was no response to his hoarse words, and all the while the panic jostled for space inside him, knocking his lungs out of order in the process. The hollow in his stomach only seemed to gape wider open, an acid burn irritating the back of his throat.

"...I suppose..." he tried again, thankful that his voice wavered unsteady on its own, adding a little more credence to the charade he was hoping to pull off, "that...I got...disconcerted...when I saw so many...police officers...here...been sick..."

Perhaps, if he had been in proper possession of his faculties, he would have known how abysmally unconvincing his excuses sounded. But a proud man falls back on his pride when there is nothing else to hold on to- and Shyam did just the same, harnessing the long disused confidence he had in himself to tiptoe round even the most perilous of situations.

"Is it now?" came the cultured tones of the police-man still balanced on his haunches by the bed; by the looks of his garb and the badges clipped to his chest, he had to be the superior officer, "Yes...I suppose we've been known to have that effect on people before."

Emboldened by this almost amiable response, Shyam hazarded a look in his direction, regretting the way the world kept tipping and wobbling before his eyes- it kept him from discerning the officer's expression.

"Ah...how can I help you, Officer?" he inquired, falling back on the simpering politeness that had always worked so well in the past; he could do it, he told himself, whatever it was that had sent these policemen barging into his bedroom, he could weasel his way out of it. They had evidently not caught on to the slip he had made earlier- if they did not know which "him" he was referring to, or why, then there was a mighty chance he could still get away with some more damage control.

Thoroughly pleased with himself, he missed the way two of the policemen hovered at opposite ends of his bend, zeroed in on him with the focus of a pair of hawks.

"Yes..." the Officer hefted himself back to his feet, holding out a peremptory hand to someone behind him; the fourth guest in his erstwhile home swiftly handed him something, which, as the Officer perused it, Shyam could recognise as a sheaf of papers stapled together, "Yes...yes, you can help us...by coming to the police station."

Panic began to burgeon again, but Shyam tried to quell it. Keep a cool head, he instructed himself, donning what he hoped was an expression of bewildered oblivion.

"I would certainly come along," he responded, inwardly pleased that he had managed to make that sound utterly guileless, "But, if you don't mind my asking, what's wrong?"

And then, for added effect, he let his eyes grow wide, his mouth grow slack, and threw his body into a frenzy of movement as he attempted to scramble back off the bed, in spite of the rubbery clumsiness of his limbs.

"Devi Maiyya- don't tell me someone is hurt! What- what- what happened? Was there an accident? Was there-"

"You don't need to work yourself up, Mr. Jha-" The two policemen standing like sentinels at his bedposts leapt lithely forward, each catching hold of one of his arms before he toppled face-forward into the floor, "You see...your wife sent us to find you."

And through the excruciating burn of hunger rooted deep into his stomach, and the leaden pain reverberating from it through his listless body and into his throbbing head, Shyam experienced the relief he had been hoping for, for what had felt like eons.

Finally, he purred mentally, salvation.

Perhaps his sacrifices had not gone in vain.

At the beginning of his exile, he had blown a lot of his money simply in the acquisition of newspapers. To keep up the act of attending business affairs, he would punctually leave the house in the morning, and spend hours loitering around the crowded streets thronging with people around the marketplaces, his paper in hand. And as the days passed by, a large chunk of his aimless days were spent in the repeated, thorough scanning of newspapers, sometimes multiple broadsheets- scouring the columns for something, any mention of a relevant name or place.

But there was nothing.

A very disquieting mass of nothing.

There were no "Wanted" notices, which ought to have reassured him- but there were also no reports declaring him missing. He had left Delhi in a pell-mell rush to save his skin, barely stopping to think- he was onboard a train and halfway to Lucknow by the time he had calmed down enough to consider the ramifications of his impulsive actions.

He had already begun to fear that bolting at the first sight of the guards in the hospital had been a poor, thoughtless decision, and when he had first arrived on the doorstep of his Lucknowi contact, he had been caught in a fit of indecision the likes of which he had never experienced before, and which therefore caught him thoroughly off guard.

If he kept running, he would definitely seal any remaining holes in the evidence validating his guilt- but if he stayed, there was a very definite change that he would be cornered and caught out like a rat.

With his SIM-card discarded, Shyam had suddenly felt as though he had severed the lifeline that had kept him anchored to the shore, and now he had been washed away by a sea that was far more vast and far more tumultuous than he could have anticipated.

And so, hounded the entire time by the gnawing, crippling doubt that he was making a grave mistake, he waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And he had begun to fear the worst.

Because even though the bloodhounds of the police-force might not have been set loose on his heels, there was also the fact that the bloodhounds had not been released to trace his scent. It was almost as though no one realised that he was lost.

Which was a ludicrous prospect. His ever-doting, besotted wife would turn the house upside down if he were missing for an hour without letting her know where he was- and here he had been gone for days and there was not so much as a whisper anywhere, in the papers, on radio, that she was looking for him.

Maybe her brother had told her the truth...maybe they had decided to just let him go...maybe they actually were searching, but more discreetly...maybe they just had not thought to check in Lucknow yet...

The possibilities were endless, and the long list of them made them more daunting, because he had absolutely no idea what was happening. And therefore, he had no clue what he should do.

But it was alright now- it was alright, because the police-men had come to look for him, because Rani Sahiba had sent them. Of course she had. He ought never to have doubted her. She was blindly in love with him- so blindly that she would never believe him capable of hurting a fly, much less committing murder- and then again, he might have overreacted and thoroughly misjudged the situation...Saale Sahab adored his sister...worshipped the ground she walked on. If Shyam could feed off her devotion for him, he was confident that he could wheedle his way out of anything Arnav Singh Raizada had planned for him.

Yes...yes, all would be well.

But for now he needed to be tactful- he needed to tease some more information out before he said something that would instantly tip them off about his duplicity.

"My wife..." he repeated, stalling under the pretence of bracing his forehead against his palm, exaggerating the effects of his spinning head.

From somewhere overhead, he heard the booming, gravelly voice of the Inspector.

"Yes...your wife, Anjali Raizada."

Almost automatically, Shyam corrected him.

"Anjali Jha."

"No," the Inspector rebuffed curtly. The impertinence of it made his neck snap up, and he instantly regretted it as the world tilted so precariously it was almost upside down. Before he could say anything further though, the man had continued, "She filed the F.I.R. under the name Anjali Raizada."

Shyam froze.

Even though there were five people crammed into a tiny room, the quiet that followed could not be more absolute.

"F- F.I.R.?"

"Yes," the Inspector confirmed for the umpteenth time; though this time, the sugary courtesy had dribbled off his voice, and there was only cold steel left underneath it, "Shyam Manohar Jha, you are hereby taken into custody under the charges of attempted murder of Anjali Raizada, on February 14th, 2012."

Shyam might have been delusional, or desperate, or deranged enough to try and escape.

But he passed out before he could.

*A few hours ago*

She had lost the feeling in her hand, and she suspected that it was as deadly cold as his in her vice-like grip, but she did not let go. She could not let go.

The five minutes, two seconds of blurry footage recorded on a phone and then blown up on a laptop screen kept replaying, again and again, before her eyes.

The date at the bottom right corner had been so distinct.

14th February, 2012.

The day Jiji and Jeeju had been married. The day Arnavji had stumbled upon Shyam and herself on the terrace, and triggered off a misunderstanding so colossal, the aftershocks had not yet petered out completely.

The day Anjaliji survived a car accident by a hair's breadth.

The insipid voice of the constable droned on as he read aloud the words Di had spoken just moments before they had arrived.

Words that took on a peculiar, grotesque note in the timbre of someone else, someone they did not belong to- it only enhanced how ethereal, how nightmarish and warped, the whole thing had been mangled into.

My husband tried to kill me. I have video footage as proof of him tampering with the car I was in, which later got into an accident. The accident was recorded with the police. I also overheard him speaking to someone, about three weeks ago, who was evidently blackmailing him with the recording. He wanted money- money that my husband later in the evening asked me to write him a cheque for. He said it was for a friend who was badly in need of surgery. I think the person who called him was someone my husband put in jail before. I don't know who it was. I didn't think to keep the number. At the time, I didn't even think to come to the police, or of doing anything. Maybe I was in shock. Maybe I was in denial. I was so much in love with him that his betrayal almost destroyed me. I was afraid that he might do something else if he found out I knew- I thought he might try to harm me or my baby.

Recently, he disappeared. He did not try to contact me at all. And I was relieved. I was able to think clearly about everything that had happened without fearing for my life or the lives of the people I love. He is a dangerous man- he is the complete opposite of the person he made himself out to be. I am terrified of him, and I don't want him to come to our lives. I don't want to live constantly fearing for the safety of my family. He has to be arrested- he needs to be punished for the things he has done.

Halfway through the narration, the monotone grating against Khushi's ears as she struggled to reconcile the gravity, the horror, the calamity unfolding in those words to the unwavering tenor of the constable, Arnavji's phone rang.

It was Amanji, but they did not have to pick up to discover just who Di had called the night before.

The answer was there, in the yellowish notepad, balanced on a young police officer's knee.

I thought he might have escaped to Lucknow. As far as I know, he does not have many contacts outside Delhi or Lucknow, but there's a fair chance now that I might be wrong.

What must she have been feeling when she was saying these words?

Did her voice shake? Did she cry? Did she tremble, or hesitate, or stutter? Hearing the echoes of her memories, robbed of their emotions, was haunting. They made goosebumps break out over her skin, even as, immobile, insensible, she sat in the seat pulled close to Di, with Arnavji's hand locked in hers.

I tried to call one of his contacts in Lucknow- and I found out that he indeed is staying in that house. He had told his friend that he was over there for business purposes, but his friend appeared sceptical, because he had not brought any luggage, and had been acting oddly for the past few days. I told him not to tell anyone that I had called- I told him there might be trouble if he did. And then this morning I called our lawyer for his advice, and he agreed to come with me here so I could file a report against him, based on the evidence I have, in the form of the video on my phone. I would like to have that man arrested for attempted murder.

The reading came to a stop.

Attempted...murder...

Pause.

Shift.

Fidget.

Silence.

There was a clearing of throat, some brisk words exchanged out of earshot, the scraping of chairs- and then the Inspector, his subordinate excused themselves, led outside by their lawyer.

Khushi barely noticed.

She had to drag her eyes to Arnav, even though every tendon in her body had grown unrelenting and stiff. Something unpleasant squelched inside her stomach- so unpleasant, Khushi felt like crawling out her skin, felt like throwing up.

He had almost killed Di...almost killed Bauji...

Because of me.

Her hand snapped open of its own accord, the unpleasantness, cold and slimy and revolting, welling up in her throat and choking her, icy tears biting at her eyes, and she yanked her hand away as though scalded.

Or, at least, she tried to.

The man who had sat motionless beside her, the man who had resembled so eerily a statue carved to depict the anguish of the soul, moved.

When he looked at her, she could not keep the tears in any more.

My fault. My fault. Because of me...

They were clouding over her sight and her guilt morphed into obstinacy. She tugged her hand again- every minute their skin touched felt like treachery, felt as though she were sullying him somehow, as though she were betraying him.

But he would not let go.

In a harsh voice that snapped out at her like a bullet fired, he hissed, "What do you think you're doing?"

She did not know. The floodgates had burst, and all the emotion she had been trying to keep at bay had come cascading down over her head and it was going to ruin everything, everything-

He had tried to kill Di. He had tried to kill her. He tried to murder the person Arnavji loved more than anyone else in the world- the person whose happiness he had striven to save by forsaking his and her own...

Because of her...

And then his face was three inches away from hers and that look he was giving her- tormented, pained but still so intense- pierced through the haze she had steadily been retreating behind.

"You said you weren't going to let go of my hand," the accusation was plain and loud even in his rough undertone, and it cleaved through her and almost split her heart in half, "Are you going back on your promise, Khushi?"

What he asked was so preposterous, so hurtful, so impossible that she was shaking her head vigorously before she could stop herself.

Don't you understand? He almost killed Di because of me!

He almost...ruined you...

Her mouth parted, quivered, and she spoke around a sob crowding her mouth.

"My fault," she quavered, and there was no taking it back. Watery-eyed, her throat convulsing, her heart shattering into smaller and smaller pieces with each excruciating beat, the remorse and the culpability that had been loosely hanging round her neck like a noose, tightening and slackening over the past month, ever since her marriage, ever since she had discovered the vile nature of Shyam Manohar Jha, ever since she had learnt he had almost murdered her father- it closed round her windpipe and asphyxiated her.

She whipped around in her seat almost, blindly reaching for Anjaliji, terrified that she would be shunned, "Di...it's...my fault...I'm so so-"

"It's not your fault-"

The interruption echoed oddly.

It had something to do with the fact that two people had spoken at once.

Blinking away some of her tears, Khushi fought to focus on Anjali, seated not too far from her. Her expression was despondent, it was miserable, and she looked older beyond her years, as she whispered back what she had stated in unison with her brother, "It's not your fault, Khushi."

Anjali looked as though she were going to say more, but then the hand obdurately trapping hers clenched and Khushi's eyes flew back to her husband in response to her demand.

He was breathing heavily- raggedly even, as though he had run all the way from Laxmi Nagar to the police-station. With her own distress bleeding out of her eyes, her vision cleared enough to catch what she had not been able to catch a few seconds back, embedded so deeply into his features that it seemed at one with his skin.

Hurt. Defeat. Failure.

"It's not your fault," he echoed his sister, but the hollowness of his voice sent a chill down her spine, which pooled forebodingly in her gut.

And then, he had called the Inspector back.

The whole time, he did not look at Di even once.

And with the ephemeral disturbance to the link that somehow connected them gone, Khushi could feel the emotions, poignant and aching, that ran through his veins, at one with his blood.

She hadn't told him.

Di hadn't told him.

Even though she had known about Shyam, known that he had tried to kill her- she had not said anything to him.

And for the man who had almost gambled away everything, sacrificed everything, for the stability and security of his sister...

...he was hurt.

He was betrayed.

Khushi could feel the pain of it coursing down their linked arms, in the white knuckles of his grip, in the tight set of his mouth, and most of all, the sight that broke the last of her heart- the harrowing despair glimmering in his soulful eyes, but not finding a way out.

And then the inspector was back in his seat, and he was leaning forward, hands braced on the edge of his desk, and Arnavji spoke.

His timbre was even. Calm. Stoic.

"I want to file an F.I.R. charging Shyam Manohar Jha with the attempted murder of my father-in-law, Shashi Gupta."

And because she did not know what to do, how to react, what to think, what to feel, her head tilted automatically to the woman she had made it her mission to protect since she had been married into their family- a woman who had grown to be an older sister, a friend, a dear companion.

And her breath caught in her throat and through the plethora of conflicting emotions besieging her from all sides, surprise registered crisp and clear.

Di still sat there, the sadness hanging like a veil over a face that was almost always beaming and cheerful, guilt bright in her eyes, and a pain that mirrored that of her brother's...

But even though she must have heard what her husband had just said...what, save for the two of them, the private investigators and Amanji, nobody else should have known...she did not appear startled in the least.

As though sensing her eyes on her, Anjali slowly moved her wounded gaze from her brother, who had not spoken to her, not even looked at her, since her F.I.R had been read aloud.

And with that same heartbreakingly melancholy smile, she mouthed, her eyes flicking back to her brother to include him in the promise-

Later.

Next chapter is intended to be the last...the big brother-sister confrontation happens then and I intend to answer all remaining questions in that chapter.

Hope psycho-Shyam was...er...sufficiently psycho. There have been hints throughout the story that he's not very alright in the head.

As always, I'll be super glad if you would leave your feedback and thoughts of this chapter! The next I'll try to finish ASAP but as I mentioned in a previous note, I'm going to be out of town for two days max, so that might delay things a bit.

I reserve all rights over this work of fiction and request readers do not reproduce/copy/modify elsewhere, and/or claim credit.

-doe-eyes- thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: likeadesigirl

Congratulations on the new thread! I discovered this story rather late, but I'm all caught up and super excited to read the next update :) I love love LOVE your writing!

Thank you so much!! Your comments are incredibly sweet and I'm really touched you enjoyed this story :) Hope you will like the upcoming chapters just as much! Thank you for reading and for sharing your thoughts! 
Archu61 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
That was awesome .you showed how much in denial anjalie was but glad she took the first step in rectifying her life .keep going you hit all the right nuances in your story looking fwd to you completing this wonderful story of yours 
ranogill thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
iam also catching up with the story...so far it is wonderful 
FLGirl thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I hope Arnav does not take it as betrayal and such. After all, he did not tell his sister when he found out too. Not nice to not even look at her - just once even, while holding hands with his wife the whole time. Both women are victims. Anjali more so than Kushi - in every way.

Looking forward to the next and final chapter..