Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

mist

Groupbie

mist

Posted: 29 August 2006 at 11:54pm | IP Logged

We, the people, spend so much of our time discussing political problems and social issues. My question is,

Do you think you can make the world better by mending your ways?

Remeber we are talking of all of us here , the educated, law-abiding, seemingly uncorrupt sect of India.

Can any change be done that is significant enough?

This is another topic Mythili has picked to make sticky...please participate.

-A.S.

Edited by abhijit shukla - 25 October 2006 at 11:55am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Can the common man make a difference?" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

MNMS

Goldie

MNMS

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 5:21am | IP Logged
At an individual level... yes.. we can try to improve our thoughts and increase the civic sense, help others, etc etc..

Unfortunately the corrupt system of third world countries won't let the small changes turn into big ones.. the educated, laww abiding and uncorrupt people as u mentioned are i think busy in their lives and have compromised with the ongoing situations.

The question of making it a Big change is still there for me... as an observer i can say that "Unity is the only way" but how are we going to generate the sense of making a difference into a generation who has preferred to close its eyes and go with the flow???? Ouch

RandomSquared

IF-Sizzlerz

RandomSquared

Teen Bahuraaniyan Banner Contest Winner

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 9:13am | IP Logged
I dont know,go watch Rang De Basanti LOL I think that first you have to clear your own thoughts. You have to have a clear picture of the world. Learn to follow your principles. Then,I think you can help in changing a system or changing a community, but I honestly think people get too lazy at a point. I know that , seeing all the hard work it takes I mite give up LOL But, I think if you can follow your principles and you yourself abide by the rules, then seeing you others might too..and mayb one day the world. I agree with wut abhijit shukla is sayin too

Rindam

Rindam

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 6:20pm | IP Logged
I really believe a common man (woman) can make a difference.

First and foremost never vote the wrong person in for whatever reason, not valid if you are not living in a democracy

Corruption, Social issues like Dowry, Cleanliness and civic responsibility, Charity. All these issues are hard to deal with but without wanting to soudn idealistic I think we can make a small difference.

We might not create a revolution or end up killing people (ala Rang De Basanti ) but atleast make some noise.

Easiest is civic responsibility

- Finished drinking your cola, find a trash can or bring it home where you will find a trash can, dont dump it wherever conveniant.
See anyone doing this in your building complain to the society authorities.

An interesting story of a friend whose sister said "Kubool Nahin Hai" at the very last minute for dowry reasons that she was unaware of till then. She went through hell but she did what she thought was right.

I think we shouldnt buckle for as long as we can help it. Most importantly our children will mostly learn from us.

mist

Groupbie

mist

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 7:34pm | IP Logged
Rindam , you bring up a great point of dowry. I agree with what everyone has said above. I do believe we can all make a difference. And it is points such as this - dowry that that we just become blind to. I know so many guys who personally think dowry is an evil and do not insist on it but will not say a word if their parents ask for it. They say its tradition and they dont want to upset elders over it!

Rang De basanti is really over the top, but I think what desi pride said about getting too lazy to make a difference is what gets us all in the end. I confess it happens a lot with me. Smile

OnlyHope

IF-Stunnerz

OnlyHope

Posted: 30 August 2006 at 11:15pm | IP Logged
You can't really change other people's lives directly and make a difference, but you can definitely change yourself and make an impression on others, inspiring them to make a change to themselvesSmile

crazy_heenz

Goldie

crazy_heenz

Posted: 31 August 2006 at 7:56am | IP Logged
yes i feel he can mak a diff

IdeaQueen

IF-Dazzler

IdeaQueen

Posted: 01 September 2006 at 11:38pm | IP Logged
Yeah!!! A common person can make difference.Not very easy.It takes ample time.I do beleive that I can change the living conditions of atleast some people.If I don't beleive in this it means that I don't beleive myselves.My purpose of living is to help people.One should have beleif in one's ideologies then it is possible to make an impact.Shri Anna Hazare,Ms Medha Patkar,Shri Sunderlal Bahuguna did'nt fall straight away from heaven they are common,un corrupt people like us.
Cheers,
Mythili

Edited by mythili_Kiran - 02 September 2006 at 12:23am

Post Reply New Post

Go to top