Poll

cruelty to animals

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Minnie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 18 years ago
This content was originally posted by-MysticaMagic

Dont take this the wrong way, but I dont think that the joke is meant to demean India - on the contrary, it points out that even Detroit ( in a "developed" country like USA) has poverty, violence, drug-trafficking, etc...

I see the cartoon as a mockery of the stereotypes some Developed countries display when it comes to India and other developing countries. These countries do mock India, but they also face the same social evils - a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I assume that this joke was posted to show that all of these issues are equally bad and that no country is immune to them.

Changing tracks, In my opinion, WAR is the worst issue as it brings violence, pain, suffering, disease and does not help anyone in the end.

Mysty, you do have a point. I do think we need to take any joke in right spirits.

However, it's also true that using India in such kind of jokes to bring across the issues of poverty ad corruption is indeed increasing. The funny thing is, no one but us sees India in that light.

I recently had an American lady friend ask me if we had cars in India and if we had flights in there...... it seems another Indian friend had given her the picture that whole of India is backward and rides bullock carts.......

I told her in a jocular manner that what she heard was true and that we had to swim for seven days to get to a place where they had these huge machines called aeroplanes..... I was angry but tried to make light of it. Thankfully she caught my joke and did not mind....

I don't blame her. That was the picture she was give. I told her in detail how beautiful most of that wonderful country is.....And yes, I too am tired of these stereotypical jokes.

This is not to offend anyone but I guess staying away from ones' country does bring out the protective fervour 😛

As for the issues, I think war is the worst of all crimes. If you don't have war, most of the other issues can be take care of efficiently !!

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Meg_d* thumbnail
Hmm well living in London its very unfair for me to comment on any other country india or other. So here the worsest issue i think its crime, everyday people get robbed, teenage pregnancy's happen well before the teenagers even realise who they are before finding an identity for themselves they have to raise a child and make an identity for them which is unfair and half of it is the teenagers faults so i wouldnt call anyone guilty but them. I personally think the other issue is rapes, which happen all the time, murders everything is a miserable part of everyday life, people are so cruel that they dont even think about the particular persons parents family and freinds, we grow up a child until its 17 or more and then come to know that child who we loved more then dearly has been murdered by a man or woman how would it feel? I wish the people who do these crimes realise all this but i gusse NOT POSSIBLE the only way to cut crime is if the police jails them all! but then again no justice is done to anyone as they are jailed but what about the poor people who died because of these cruel minded criminals!!😡
AzN CuTiE thumbnail
HU KNOWS BOUT CANNIBLES???? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤢
*Anjali* thumbnail
Poverty is a BIG issue that is prevalent in ALL nations (even in the most industrialized) and is an issue which needs to be given immediate attention and attention to by ALL leaders of the world

To me, of all the issues listed, I believe that war is the biggest issue.  Mystica and Puja, I totally agree with you about war as it is the bearer of all the troubles listed.  To me, war doesn't have the same meaning it once had.  War no longer means World War I, World War II, or one of the other large scale wars our world has seen. It is no longer fighting between two nations for a cause.  Rather, now we have the "war on terror" (courtesy of Bush) which on the surface has an agenda to crack down on would be terrorist cells abroad and within the US, but which in reality has crushed the civil liberties of many people within the US.  This "war on terror" has brought about a new kind of racial profiling in the US and has made it seem like an ok thing to do, when it is actually quite suppressive and demoralizing to those who face it.  After 9/11, countless number of people who "looked like" terrorists were imprisoned and even deported. 

The definition and scope of war has really changed due to the political climate as well as global events and has become even more oppressive and harmful than it was before.
sowmyaa thumbnail
I think its WAR! Poverty is next, but it is just not poverty it relates to resources, like education, population growth, illetracy etc. i forgot most of my economic class lectures..but WAR is something totally in our hands..people fighting for their own ego sometimes, and crushing and killing innocents it's really shameful. Also, there is one more thing i hate is "dictatorship".
anjali.nair thumbnail
This content was originally posted by-MysticaMagic

Dont take this the wrong way, but I dont think that the joke is meant to demean India - on the contrary, it points out that even Detroit ( in a "developed" country like USA) has poverty, violence, drug-trafficking, etc...

I see the cartoon as a mockery of the stereotypes some Developed countries display when it comes to India and other developing countries. These countries do mock India, but they also face the same social evils - a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

I assume that this joke was posted to show that all of these issues are equally bad and that no country is immune to them.

Changing tracks, In my opinion, WAR is the worst issue as it brings violence, pain, suffering, disease and does not help anyone in the end.

I agree MysticaMagic. You do have a good point.

Now to the poll- I think poverty is developing country's worst enemy.
ivan thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

AzN CuTiE wrote:
HU KNOWS BOUT CANNIBLES???? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!🤢

does cannabilism (humans eating  humans)still exist?

Edited by ivan - 18 years ago
|iami5o4| thumbnail
This content was originally posted by-peaches

Lakshmi I'm with you on this one.

Joke....I don't see what's so funny about it.

I think the person responsible for creating the animation had not right to use India as his target to bring across his or her "funny joke"...if that's what it was.

Tasteless if you ask me.🤢

.... 😆

ahhh... sorry I was bored and thought a joke would lighten up the mood but sorry to say I was mistakenly wrong. 😳

But thanks MysticaMagic for clearing up what the comic was meant to say. 👍🏼
sugargirl555 thumbnail

Regarding the question asked, I would have to say that poverty is the main issue that is stopping India from further developement. War against india cannot be stopped by the people of India, it has to be stopped by the people who are against India. Therefore it is not an issue that needs to be dealt with currently. Poverty on the other hand is rising very fast, and this is partially to do with Wars that are inflicted upon India. As said before, you cannot deal with war yet. War is not the major factor when it comes to poverty. I think that the first thing that needs to be improved is the educating system. There should be more government schools placed around India. Only then will the children be educated and know what to do with their lives in the near future. If a vast majority of kids are educated, then in the future, it will eliminate poverty.

Just my thoughts :) feel free to argue with me if you wish! i love arguing.. debate baby.

vcool thumbnail

This content was originally posted by-anjali308

Poverty is a BIG issue that is prevalent in ALL nations (even in the most industrialized) and is an issue which needs to be given immediate attention and attention to by ALL leaders of the world

To me, of all the issues listed, I believe that war is the biggest issue.  Mystica and Puja, I totally agree with you about war as it is the bearer of all the troubles listed.  To me, war doesn't have the same meaning it once had.  War no longer means World War I, World War II, or one of the other large scale wars our world has seen. It is no longer fighting between two nations for a cause.  Rather, now we have the "war on terror" (courtesy of Bush) which on the surface has an agenda to crack down on would be terrorist cells abroad and within the US, but which in reality has crushed the civil liberties of many people within the US.  This "war on terror" has brought about a new kind of racial profiling in the US and has made it seem like an ok thing to do, when it is actually quite suppressive and demoralizing to those who face it.  After 9/11, countless number of people who "looked like" terrorists were imprisoned and even deported. 

The definition and scope of war has really changed due to the political climate as well as global events and has become even more oppressive and harmful than it was before.

I totally agree with you after poverty its definitely war , and nowadays its the so called "war on terrorism" which is the basic cause of so much animosity everywhere and i agree with you that the ppl who actually go thru it r the ones who suffer ,for ex. if ur studying aeronautical engineering in the states does it mean that ur associated with 9/11?......Pres. Bush does, so he just throws you away into the prison for months and lets ur families suffer, and ur future 2 be ruined, then why does he care, when hes getting stolen oil from Iraq, does it matter 2 him if Innocent Muslims and American soldiers r losing their lives in this phony "war on terrorism" ,has he ever seen the pics of the innocent children that die in this war ? or the young lives which r lost? Wat if he loses one of his ugly kidz? How will he feel then?  , all he knows is how to fool everyone with the so called "war on terrorism"  or in other words proving the fact that "Might is Right!"