Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

India known as 'The rape country'. Embarrassed Indian or?

-Maryam.K- IF-Dazzler
-Maryam.K-
-Maryam.K-

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 8:37pm | IP Logged
I was watching the news and I suddenly saw that the country India has the most rapes in the world! I got a bit saddened up and I felt quiet em brass even though I am not an Indian but I'm India's neighbor country! I asked an Indian friend of mine saying 'Do you find it embarrassing as an Indian, that your country is known as a rape country?' And she replied saying 'Yes, but I still do love my India'
So my current debate or question will be: 'Do you find it embarrassing as an Indian, that your country is known as a rape country?' 

Ps: I didn't mean to harm or offend anyone.

punk666 Newbie
punk666
punk666

Posted: 16 January 2014 at 10:20pm | IP Logged
of course, I don't like the fact that there are so many crimes and corruption going on, I wish things were better and we didn't have to deal with these incidents but sadly it's always going to be this way.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

TuTuMeinMein-Maryam.K-

chucknorris IF-Dazzler
chucknorris
chucknorris

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 1:41am | IP Logged
bit exaggerated... 

secondly, why should I be embarassed ? I'm in no way shape or form responsible for the actions of my fellow country men.

being born in india is not something i chose.

Edited by silverbug - 17 January 2014 at 1:49am

ongongongScorpionGunner

zorrro Goldie
zorrro
zorrro

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 2:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Maryam.K-

I was watching the news and I suddenly saw that the country India has the most rapes in the world! I got a bit saddened up and I felt quiet em brass even though I am not an Indian but I'm India's neighbor country! I asked an Indian friend of mine saying 'Do you find it embarrassing as an Indian, that your country is known as a rape country?' And she replied saying 'Yes, but I still do love my India'
So my current debate or question will be: 'Do you find it embarrassing as an Indian, that your country is known as a rape country?' 

Ps: I didn't mean to harm or offend anyone.
Before feeling so embarrassed about your neighbouring country care to check up on the stats?
Its bad with the rape cases anywhere in the world but by no means can India be given the distinction of maximum rapes in the world as clear from these figures. Check it .

moomin4455Real.Madrid

reeha...k IF-Rockerz
reeha...k
reeha...k

Posted: 17 January 2014 at 6:17pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by zorrro

Before feeling so embarrassed about your neighbouring country care to check up on the stats?
Its bad with the rape cases anywhere in the world but by no means can India be given the distinction of maximum rapes in the world as clear from these figures. Check it .

I think that information is "Number of sexual assaults recorded by police in that country per 100,000 population." Which if anything at all, shows that there is a system in place- in particular countries-  where the female residents of the nation feel confident enough in their system to actually SPEAK UP about a Sexual Assault in some of the "top rape statistic" nations.  It seems like India seems to have the biggest cases only coming to the forefront every so often, other then that it seems like people politicians, society just don't give a damn and move the hell on. It's almost nonchalant. I'll give you an example. If a girl is harassed/assaulted on a bus in Vancouver- There will be police on it ASAP, trying to find the perp. There is enough societal expecatation here to get something done. The Last time I heard a gang rape happening here on the news? I can't even recall. A Gang shooting maybe, and I think we're complaining about the Flu virus going on here, but...that's about it. 

My dad turns on the NDTV and some other punjabi news telecast he watches?  It's literally a daily thing. 5 year old was raped. This woman was gang raped. This tourist was rapped. It's practically like reading out a weather report. That's how COMMON of an occurs it is that it almost seems to be a run of the mill thing, "Oh, another one? Too bad... What's for dinner?" 

Finally, Pakistan has a reported 0 on that list, so I think we should give it any merit LOL. There isn't any empirical evidence or something substantive that would give this particular list any merit at all: At the end of the day "rape country" or not, India DOES have a very big social issue to deal with. Let's hope it's dealt with sooner rather than later.

Edited by reeha...k - 20 January 2014 at 9:50am

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

shal1983adevongongong

Vinzy IF-Stunnerz
Vinzy
Vinzy

Posted: 18 January 2014 at 2:11am | IP Logged

Feel like Indian,government must allow the Sale Of Sex Dolls in IndiaOuchConfused

Some states, law & order situation is going from bad to worse. Now-a-days any woman can get raped irrespective of age & the rapists mostly gets away scott freeOuch...Its true that, there is no political solution to this problem,People have to change their attitude towards woman.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

reeha...k

zorrro Goldie
zorrro
zorrro

Posted: 19 January 2014 at 10:50pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by reeha...k

I think that information is "Number of sexual assaults recorded by police in that country per 100,000 population." Which if anything at all, shows that there is a system in place- in particular countries-  where the female residents of the nation feel confident enough in their system to actually SPEAK UP about a Sexual Assault in some of the "top rape statistic" nations.  It seems like India seems to have the biggest cases only coming to the forefront every so often, other then that it seems like people politicians, society just don't give a damn and move the hell on. It's almost nonchalant. I'll give you an example. If a girl is harassed/assaulted on a bus in Vancouver- There will be police on it ASAP, trying to find the perp. There is enough societal expecatation here to get something done. The Last time I heard a gang rape happening here on the news? I can't even recall. A Gang shooting maybe, and I think we're complaining about the Flu virus going on here, but...that's about it. 

My dad turns on the NDTV and some other punjabi news telecast he watches?  It's literally a daily thing. 5 year old was raped. This woman was gang raped. This tourist was rapped. It's practically like reading out a weather report. That's how COMMON of an occurs it is that it almost seems to be a run of the mill thing, "Oh, another one? Too bad... What's for dinner?" 

Finally, Pakistan has a reported 0 on that list, so I think we shouldn't give it any merit LOL. There isn't any empirical evidence or something substantive that would give this particular list any merit at all: At the end of the day "rape country" or not, India DOES have a very big social issue to deal with. Let's hope it's dealt with sooner rather than later.

I cant speak for pakistan, let it speak for itself LOL King anu , you there? Confused

This article should throw some light on the  myth.

Why Rape Seems Worse in India Than Everywhere Else (but Actually Isn't)

Yes, the gang rapes have been shocking " but India's reputation as rape capital is undeserved

http://world.time.com/2013/11/08/why-rape-seems-worse-in-india-than-everywhere-else-but-actually-isnt/

return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 20 January 2014 at 8:02am | IP Logged

There are two perspectives to the rape crisis in India.

One is as Zorro pointed out - the rape problem in India seems bad because everyone is shining a flashlight on it and scrutinizing it. Indian people and the media are being more outspoken about it than ever before. More people are reporting rape and taking action against it. So everything appears a lot magnified. India isn't as terrible as it seems on the surface. The average Indian does care a lot and is really concerned about making the country a better place.

At the same time India cannot be complacent or reassure ourselves that it is not that bad. When it comes to rape and sexual harassment, our country has a long way to go. Rape still is a taboo and there is fear of backlash/losing face - hence reporting of rape is alarmingly low. Also when reported by civilians, very few actually get lodged as formal complaints by officials. There are still many instances where cops advice against filing because the rapists are powerful/influential people or they say that it is the girls fault due to loose morals, provocative clothes, company of men or visiting wrong places. Indian law also doesn't recognize marital rape and many forms of date rape either.

The biggest problem in India is that we still have a culture that preaches don't get raped rather than emphasizing don't rape. I do find it extremely embarrassing when I have to tell women visiting India to be careful, to travel in groups, to be modest, to avoid going out late in certain places. I do find it extremely embarrassing that a woman in India cannot enjoy the safety and freedom she enjoys in other places. I don't think there is anything wrong or unpatriotic in being embarrassed over the status in India. In fact I feel only when we recognize such discrepancies and feel the right emotions will we as a nation and society focus on change. There are pros and cons to every nation. There are many things to be proud about as an Indian. We should be proud of our nations pros and disheartened by the cons.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

BarbieGurlHosh_04-Wanderer-Rehanismongongongreeha...kReal.MadridGredandForge

Go to top