.Rhapsody. thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
I just completed this previously half-written piece. Whew.

His Hands

The sight made a searing pain shoot through her chest, as she stared at his usually warm and slightly calloused, albeit strong hands as they lay by the side of his sleeping body, now reduced to being cold and bandaged. She gently took his left hand in her own and caressed it, wistfully pondering over the depth of what his hands meant to her.

Everything, she thought, as a tear rolled down her cheek and fell on his bandaged left palm.

His hands make me feel safe...

He'd found her in bed, cowering, tears running down her cheeks. In spite of being wrapped up in sheets and blankets, she was chilled to the bone and shivering, as he found out when he slid into bed and pulled her to himself, wrapping his arms around her and letting her sob into his chest, as the thunderstorm raged on.

He knew. She'd told him about her fear of thunderstorms which she developed after she was stuck in one all alone as a child, and yet, this was the first time he'd seen how badly they affected her.

He tightened his grip around her, and she felt heat creeping into her numbed body, warming it up, so she no longer shivered with the chills. She relaxed a bit in his hold and stopped sobbing when he started whispering into her ear, assuring her that he was there and that nothing would happen to her. The deep kiss that she received when she shifted her head to look at him, and the way his hands rubbed her back, making her relax even more in his arms, was enough to make her fall asleep.

She dreamed about him as she lay in his arms, pleasant, happy dreams. Somehow, she felt her fears ebbing away, as her mind replaced the horrible memory of the thunderstorm with a new one of her, in his arms, with his hands, warming up her body, and soothing her both physically and mentally.

When the next thunderstorm came, she knew for sure that he had chased her fears away, as she snuggled into his arms again, a smile on her face, while his hands, his heated hands, tender and loving, continued to warm up her body.

His hands make me feel alive...

It wasn't her first time doing it. She was accustomed to the pleasures of the body - except that the act had never seemed pleasurable to her. It had been just that, an act. While her body indeed reacted, it seemed nothing less than stiff to her. But this time, it was different. Because he was different, and their feelings for each other were different.

Her breath caught in her throat as she felt his hands on her body, warming it up and making it crackle to life. She could feel it. She could feel her body stirring and responding to his touch, and the sensation felt as new and as strong as her feelings for him.

His lips followed the path traced by his hands and a moan escaped her mouth. She was swept up in the sensations and feelings. Her body was on fire and his hands burnt in and with it. And all too soon, it was over.

They were spent, bodies sweaty and breathing sporadic, and as they lay panting, side by side, his hands found her again. Every touch and every caress slowly re-ignited the dying embers of her flaming passion.

And for the second time that night, they burned together.

His hands saved me...

The death of her parents in a car accident right in front of her eyes had completely broken her. She was eleven at that time, and for the next ten years, she remained an empty shell of her old self. She was cold, reserved, and never let anyone come close to her again. The day she turned twenty-one, she decided to end her life. That was the day she found him.

She was standing on the low parapet of the terrace of her college building. This is it, she thought, this is the end. Taking in a deep breath, she closed her eyes, and just as she felt ready to jump to her death, someone caught her hand.

Her eyes flew open and she turned her head to see him. Him, who she had often caught looking at her in college, who had tried to be friends with her, whom she had brushed off icily. And yet, here he was, holding her hand, and in that moment, something happened. Something that changed her yet again, but for good.

Overwhelmed by a torrent of emotions, she broke down and he awkwardly hugged her, patting her back to soothe her. They sat on the terrace together for a long time, talking, after her cries had subsided to sobs and later to sniffles.

When he offered her his hand to get up, she smiled. It was watery and there were tears welling up in her eyes once again, but it was warm and hopeful. He had managed to break the barriers she had created around her and he had found her just before she went over the edge and completely lost herself.

That day, the very moment his hand has grasped hers, she realised later, she had been born anew, and she would forever be indebted to him for it.

His hands... oh...

The feel of his fingers twitching in her hand brought her out of her reverie and she wiped her damp cheeks with the back of her right hand and managed a small smile. He smiled back, warm and comforting, "Hey..." he said.

"Hey..." she replied and let go of his hand so he could sit up. "C'mere," he said, opening his arms wide for her. She wrapped her arms around his neck, as he held her close. She let go after a while and he shifted and patted the empty space on the bed beside him. She got in and found herself in his embrace again.

"I'm sorry... this was all my fault..." she said in a trembling voice and buried her face in his chest. "No, it wasn't. It was an accident. These things happen, darling. It isn't anybody's fault, and definitely not yours," he said, dropping a kiss on her head and then resting his cheek against it. She shifted in his arms and tipped her chin up to kiss him. He cradled her neck with his right hand while his left went to her slightly swollen belly.

As she felt his hand lightly caress her belly, a tear rolled down her cheek. She imagined him holding their child in his arms, touching it's face with a trembling finger, and later, rocking it gently to sleep. His hands would keep their child safe just like they kept her safe.

She cherished them, they had had given her a new life and soon would hold the new life they had created together in them. It was then that she decided, no matter what, she would protect them. His hands

I really have no idea what direction I ended up taking this to. Hoping it wasn't either too confusing, senseless, lengthy, boring or all of the above.

Thank you so much for reading though!

~Maya
Edited by .Rhapsody. - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Crucio. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
I'm in love with this OS <3
.Rhapsody. thumbnail
Originally posted by: Jhanvi_TaaRey

I'm in love with this OS <3

Ah, hey, thank you so much! :D
It means a lot!
I'm so glad you liked this. :)

~Maya
IndigoBlues thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Woah. This is so intense. I actually shivered myself while reading some of the parts haha. Somehow the way you described it, it actually made me experience the warmth  and usually I find such stuff cheesy but idk why your writing touched a chord in me I guess. Really good stuff...looking forward to more :)
.Rhapsody. thumbnail
Originally posted by: IndigoBlues

Woah. This is so intense. I actually shivered myself while reading some of the parts haha. Somehow the way you described it, it actually made me experience the warmth  and usually I find such stuff cheesy but idk why your writing touched a chord in me I guess. Really good stuff...looking forward to more :)

Oh my God! Thank you!!
Really, I just... don't know what to say...
Cheesy it is, the content. No doubt. It's been written, re-written and over-written, but I've taken a likiing to passion and the "one true love" concept.
But oh, thank you once again!
That I managed to make over-done stuff look better, that's quite a compliment, indeed!

I'm really glad you liked this.
It means a lot! :)

~Maya
LoveToLaugh thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

EDITED

Firstly, my apologies for the late response. I've been a little occupied with a few things. I forgot. 😛

Anyhow...

"And for the second time that night, they burned together."
I admire beauty in writing. And this was beautiful!

The entire piece is intense, well-written and passionate. I thought (after reading the title) that this OS really would be about his hands, but it isn't. The hand is symbolic. It is a hand of hope, of love, of an extension of a soul. It is the person who let her cry on his shoulder, who stopped her from jumping from the terrace of a building, him. I love how you write about how he was there for her and, in Rose's words (Titanic), how he saved her in every possible way a person could be saved. Which is why I also think that the last paragraph didn't quite ring with the rest of the piece. Like I said, the hand is symbolic. For me, the OS ended with, "his hands would keep their child safe just like they kept her safe."

Btw... I am fond of pieces that seem to go nowhere. I find it cool when you start writing something and it ends up taking a different direction altogether.

Great job with the OS. 😃
Edited by LoveToLaugh - 10 years ago
.Rhapsody. thumbnail
Originally posted by: LoveToLaugh

Res. I'll be back with my comment.

Your comment will be awaited. :)
.Rhapsody. thumbnail

EDITED

Firstly, my apologies for the late response. I've been a little occupied with a few things. I forgot. 😛
That's okay! It happens. :)

Anyhow...

"And for the second time that night, they burned together."
I admire beauty in writing. And this was beautiful!  
Thank you! <3

The entire piece is intense, well-written and passionate. I thought (after reading the title) that this OS really would be about his hands, but it isn't. The hand is symbolic. It is a hand of hope, of love, of an extension of a soul. It is the person who let her cry on his shoulder, who stopped her from jumping from the terrace of a building, him. I love how you write about how he was there for her and, in Rose's words (Titanic), how he saved her in every possible way a person could be saved. Which is why I also think that the last paragraph didn't quite ring with the rest of the piece. Like I said, the hand is symbolic. For me, the OS ended with, "his hands would keep their child safe just like they kept her safe." 
 I guess you're right about the last paragraph. I should have ended it right there, but when I wrote it, i wrote it from her point of view, and so I ended the story with her decision of always protecting his hands. Because when I was thinking of how to end it, I had a "Okay. Itna toh ho gaya. Now what?" moment. So the last paragraph.
But I'll think it through next time. :)

Btw... I am fond of pieces that seem to go nowhere. I find it cool when you start writing something and it ends up taking a different direction altogether.
 That actually happens a lot with all of us. We think of the story as something, and when we actually start writing, the words just start flowing and it takes on a completely new and unexpected direction!
Great job with the OS. 😃
 Thank you so much! Sorry I bothered you about the res. :P
Your comment was really helpful!
Thank you once again! :D

.Rhapsody. thumbnail
Wrong post.Edited by .Rhapsody. - 10 years ago
bookworm-ALS-- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Hey, I love this piece! It's a love story, sure, but with an undercurrent of something deeper and darker , at least in the beginning. Love it <3