Post Reply New Post

Page 6 of 102

charminggenie

IF-Rockerz

charminggenie

Posted: 19 January 2014 at 9:46am | IP Logged
Originally posted by return_to_hades

@Genie

When I mean apply pressure on Congress/BJP I don't mean active actions  or verbal attacks on the party. What I mean is provide clean governance and focus on basic issues one at a time. Their performance in Delhi elections put pressure on Congress/BJP to clean their act. They don't need to perform miracles or deliver on every claim. Just simple clean governance, the focus on anti corruption will be enough. 
I agree with one thing at one -point, but the media pressure and the crowd theatrics till LS is how the game is to be played. For anti-corruption- not only he has launched that helpline, sorting out the private tank mafia but has made big bureaucratic changes as well. Took out politicians from the educational bodies and have insisted on hiring only academics. Smart move , considering the corruption in the Delhi institutes. The Jan Lokpal bill is going to be introduced in the next session - if he gets that, it will be a big score for him. 

As for the issues regarding sex/drug rackets. Of course it was a major issue that needed to be addressed. However, the law minister overreached in taking action. Just because you have complaints you don't swoop in and conduct raids on every foreign national. If one party starts taking the law in their own hands, it is a slippery slope for every political party to do the same. 
As others and even me have mentioned that in no way what the Minister did was right , his methods were wrong. But for me I look at the bigger picture which is to make the police accountable , right now they are not. So if AK with his dharnas, his tv talk or his pressure can bring that under State govt , it will have huge implications as far as the law and order situation is concerned. 

@LP - Glad to see you after a long time!Smile

And Agree , its to be noticed how they have changed the way these decades old parties look towards election. Suddenly we have corruption, economics and what now as main issues for LS polls. Modi has declared clearing economic mess has his 1st agenda , not some religious dispute and Rahul is aping AAP in trying to connect with public. I find voters much more aware and excited this time.
Honestly AAP is into going to form the central govt but I like how uneasy they make these National Parties, who till now where very elite. That is interesting.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetkrystal_watz

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Arvind Kejriwal and AAP (Page 6)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

krystal_watz

IF-Rockerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 19 January 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged
@Genie: Even the helpline has been subject to controversy. LOL

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

LovelyPlanetDiehardYMfanmr.ass

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 19 January 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by charminggenie

Actually I differ here, they should focus on the two parties a little later, for now work towards providing basic facilities and improving the ground realities of Delhi If they heckle on the Cong/BJP now , they will sound all too negative.

Agree with the part about focusing on opponents later and focusing on governance first.  Unfortunately Mr Kejriwal  sems to be oversensitive to any dissent voiced by the public or media. So far it has influenced his decision to form the govt with support from the Congress, drop his earlier choice of accommodation, to re-think his candidature for LS, and now with the growing dissent voiced by the opposition regarding the delay or soft atitude in taking the Congress to task for alleged cases of corruptions, Mr Kejriwal has declared that he would do just that within 4 days! He has a penchant for self imposed deadlines!

I doubt in 21 days you can take concrete steps against the ex-govt or the present Municipal bodies. it's like asking them to jump the procedure and protocol and act urgently. How to we expect clean governance after 21 days is what surprises me. Hype or not this is unfair on our part, give them atleast 6 months and another Assembly session, read what bills they have passed , before we create a judgement. I wonder if other newly elected govts are also scrutinized the same way? 

Its true that the AAP is under undue scrutiny which is unfair but it is Kejriwal himself who keeps coming up with seemingly impossible self imposed and self declared deadlines.

See in this context I researched and read a bit, I stand firm on the wrong steps taken by the Law Minister and he should apologize unconditionally but then when you hear the region's RWA and their months long complaint about the sex/drug racket and no action taken by the police , you do wonder what is the Delhi CM suppose to do. He is the face of Police, even if he doesn't have control over it. Not justifying but really what alternative is left with the govt? Should they not have Police under them like in other states .

Genie, what the law minister did amounts to taking the law in his own hands. An example of the powerful wanting immediate results irrespective of the lawful procedures  that need to be heeded. Its the narco division or a special task force that handles cases dealing with drugs. The members who go to conduct such raids are carefully searched /frisked to rule out any possibility of their planting drugs at the site of raid. This necessary precaution was blown away when the law minister and his motley crowd took it upon themselves to conduct a raid and punish the suspected wrongdoers!  It sets up a dangerous  precedent.! 

Nope they were then and now demanding the same thing - Police under state govt which has been requested since 2004. If we listen to Arvind , there is no difference of narrative, he says if people complain to my office over Law ministry about a nuisance and no police action is taken after months, what "legal" power do I have to solve them, should I not demand and mount pressure for these powers. I doubt any party in Delhi will disagree with this. We should never read too much about election narratives , they are fought on totally different perspective. If we continue to live in ti , we will overlook the bigger picture.

Sheila Dixit's govt had been making the same demand for the police to be under the ambit of State govt. But that had not stopped the AAP from holding her accountable for the  police inaction. Moreover, there are some genuine concerns regarding placing the police under state govt as it could pose some security concerns in the event of  different  government at the Centre and the State and it needs some in depth deliberations. No quick fix solutions there! The CM could have mounted pressure at a senior level  by legal means . Taking recourse to vigilantism  and mob culture is unacceptable  in a civil society.  Midnight raids into anyones house on mere suspicion, arresting a female at night , beating her,  conducting the search by  unprofessionals, the racial abuses that the suspects were subjected to, inciting an unruly mob -  all constitute breach of law and the law minister could rightly  find himself behind bars.

The bigger picture is cleaner politics but not by encouraging lawlessness.

I give them the grace period of 6 months when I have given years and decades to to the other National parties. One thing is for sure , they have stirred and shaken the Indian Politics, shift in how every political party is trying to connect with the people and the voter feels more closer to Indian politics. I like that. They may fail or they may stay but surely the focus would be on their slogan on "anti-corruption" and clean politics.

To have a more sustained impact it is essential for the AAP to survive and retain the voter's confidence. Immature and hasty decisions could be its undoing and also of the hopes that people have pinned on them.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

krystal_watz

krystal_watz

IF-Rockerz

krystal_watz

Posted: 20 January 2014 at 12:35am | IP Logged
Angie: Its a Catch-22 situation really. On one side, its true that AAP is trying to be a Dasabhuja Durga by taking on everything at once. And their psychology is understandable. With humongous expectations, they are expected to be under scanner more than others, and if they didn't resort to some immediate measures (including the populist ones), they would risk losing visibility and buzz. The general public is impatient and would demand solid results on paper in six months. So their urgency is palpable.

_Angie_

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 20 January 2014 at 1:20am | IP Logged
Watching Kejriwal live - Defying the section 144 that was declared yesterday to prevent the dharna we have the CM doing precisely that in front of Home minister's office and says he will run his own office from the streets LOL
 Calling people to join him there. Shouting slogans against Shinde for providing protection to the police in  lieu of "protection money' ...Its quite a spectacle out there LOL
Never a dull moment in Delhi!
Lets see how things play out.

_Angie_

IF-Rockerz

_Angie_

Posted: 20 January 2014 at 1:30am | IP Logged
Correction- Due to the ongoing preparations for the Republic Day parade he was prevented from reaching the  Union Home ministry office in the Central secretariat therefore had to shift the venue of protest to a park near the Rail Bhavan.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 20 January 2014 at 7:35am | IP Logged
Thanks to Kejriwal and AAP the desi news is spicier, twistier and crazier than kekta Maiyya soaps. 

LovelyPlanet

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 20 January 2014 at 12:04pm | IP Logged
I take back every word I had said in praise of AAP and Kejriwal. They were and are a bunch of rabble rousing populists, pandering the mob culture with little understanding or regard for law and established procedure. This was my initial opinion about Team Anna and their 'Janta faisla karegi' brand of nautanki 2 years back, but I really hoped that Kejriwal being more educated and sober would be different. However it seems he's no different from the likes of Mamata Banerjee and his lieutenants are a bunch of callous, overconfident dimwits. Pure nautanki culture, they have. Now I'm back to being unsupportive of any political party.

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Debate Mansion Topic Index

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.