Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

India-Forums

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy Updates: IN CINEMAS NOW! (Page 91)

majoni03 IF-Sizzlerz
majoni03
majoni03

Posted: 29 March 2015 at 2:18am | IP Logged

Sushant Singh Rajput: Today's Cinema Suits Actors Like Me

Press Trust of India   | March 29, 2015 13:34 IST
Sushant S Ingh Rajput

Sushant's Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! is set to release on April 3

"I always believed in myself. I am living my dream," said Sushant

Kai Po Che! actor Sushant Singh Rajput has attributed his success in Bollywood to the new-age filmmaking.

The 29-year-old actor, who has also starred in film like Shuddh Desi Romance and Aamir Khan's PK, will also be seen in a biopic on Indian cricketer MS Dhoni and Shekhar Kapur's ambitious Paani besides the upcoming Dibakar Banerjee's sleuth drama Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!.

"The change in cinema has created room for actors like me. If we were not making the films that we are right now then I would not have been excited about my work. Most probably, I would have not got a chance to do films. The films that are being made want actors like me who can change themselves with each and every film and not think about their star value or the way they are perceived," Sushant told PTI.

The actor said bagging those films has not been a cakewalk as he had to audition for each and every one of them. YRF's Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! is Sushant's first major release after almost a gap of one-and-a-half years.

He had a cameo in last year's release PK. The actor, however, said he does not worry about not having back-to-back releases as he enjoys the filmmaking process more than waiting for Friday.

"The main reason I am in this industry is because I want to do films. I enjoy the shoots, not just Fridays. The entire journey is important to me. Obviously, as an actor I want validation, of course the feedback is important and I want people to like me. But it is not the most essential thing for me.

"I am not counting the number of films releasing, I am counting the kind of films I do," he said.

Having started his career from the small screen in 2008, it took Sushant some time till he finally managed to get his big break in Bollywood in 2013 with Kai Po Che!. The actor said that being a part of the industry is like a dream come true for him and has also brought a lot of changes in him.

"It is too good to be true. I always believed in myself. I am living my dream. Initially, I used to take myself very seriously. That has somewhat gone away," Sushant said.

Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! also stars Anand Tiwari and Swastika Mukherjee in principal roles. The movie, produced by Dibakar Banerjee Productions and Yash Raj Films, is set to release on April 3.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-

ChannaMereya IF-Stunnerz
ChannaMereya
ChannaMereya

Posted: 29 March 2015 at 4:17am | IP Logged
"Why?" was the question that Dibakar Banerjee asked himself while embarking on the journey of adapting "Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!" as the youthful, dhoti-clad crime solver in the politically volatile era of 1940s Calcutta.

"Why?" was the question that Dibakar Banerjee asked himself while embarking on the journey of adapting "Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!" as the youthful, dhoti-clad crime solver in the politically volatile era of 1940s Calcutta.

Something of a childhood dream, his next film is his most ambitious and yet the most difficult project. The director, who has acquired the rights to Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay's all Byomkesh stories, said his biggest motivation was the curiosity surrounding the unorthodox career choice of this young man in a time when jobs were rare to come by.

Despite its period setting, Dibakar believes, Byomkesh is a man of today. The director is confident that if the film succeeds, it will popularise a true-blue Indian icon as a franchise hero and bring the tradition of Bengal noir back in fashion. The director, who started his cinematic journey with "Khosla Ka Ghosla" and went on explore diverse contemporary problems in his subsequent projects "Oye Lucky Lucky Oye", "Love Sex Aur Dhokha" and "Shanghai", said he wanted to begin Byomkesh's journey from his first case.

"Detective Byomkesh Bakshy!" also stars Anand Tiwari and Swastika Mukherjee in principal roles. The movie, produced by Dibakar Banerjee Productions and Yash Raj Films, is set to release on April 3. Here are the excerpts from an interview during his PTI visit:

Why begin from the beginning in Byomkesh?

I wanted to stamp it with my own interpretation. When you go from a book to film, then in the film you can introduce many things. When I and Urmi Juvekar, the scriptwriter, sat down, the first question that we asked ourselves was 'Why make Byomkesh?' We realized that we wanted to make Byomkesh because we wanted to know why this young man, fresh out of college, would want to become a detective in 1940s. Why not become a clerk or choose any other profession because it is a very unorthodox choice. Sharadindu has left certain things delightfully unsaid and that's where a filmmaker comes, between the lines. Slowly, we realized that we wanted to tell the coming-of-age story of Byomkesh, the story of how he became what he became. 

You wanted to make the film for a long time. Was it difficult to hold on to the idea for so long?

I have always wanted to make it and knew that I will make it sooner or later. When you make films, you start believing in destiny a bit. No matter how hard you push, you can't force it. There are too many variables involved for one puny human being to fathom. Films are vague; there are too many people involved, too much money and egos. One learns to be patient.

Will there be a sequel?

Well, the first one has to do well for that. What we are waiting to see is whether a film that does not have a love story and typical action, will work or not. We want to bring back the culture of detective fiction on screen after 50 years. It is a pioneering moment. Also, my secret wish is that we often watch Spiderman, Sherlock Holmes and Batman but we forget that we have many gems hidden in our own cupboards. If we make films on them, our audiences don't need to go anywhere else. Byomkesh is an Indian icon. I want a true Indian icon to succeed.

What has changed when you wanted to make it first and now?

My experience as a director. It is a tough film in terms of the script and writing. We are reinterpreting, bringing something new. It was a tough one to pull off. You don't have a good record of period films in India. It involved a lot of research. We shot in Kolkata for 28 days out of the 66 days and then recreated the period on our set in Mumbai.
This film needed a lot of planning. We went to historians, books, architecture of that period and got the oral history from the 90-year-olds who still remember those times.

Did you add things to make it grittier?

The grittiness was there in Sharadindu's stories. I did not have to work on that count. My aim was to bring the era of Bengal noir back visually. There was a long standing tradition of detective and crime stories since the 1920s there. They were pulp books, you could buy them cheap. They would have these amazing illustrations of a dhoti-clad hero pointing a gun and saree-clad woman swooning in his arms.
There would be a vintage car in the background and a foggy Calcutta street. It was romanticism. Our poster recreates this and our film is also bringing that.

-Swetha-

ChannaMereya IF-Stunnerz
ChannaMereya
ChannaMereya

Posted: 29 March 2015 at 6:21am | IP Logged
A photographic journey through Kolkata's shrinking Chinatown
A photographer recounts his long association with India's small Chinese community.
Rafeeq Ellias
Sep 19, 2014  01:30 am
Total Views
|

Legend of Fat Mama

The Legend of Fat Mama from Rafeeq Ellias on Vimeo.

Sometime in January or February each year, on the first day of the new moon, India reaffirms its magical diversity as the country's tiniest minority celebrates Chinese New Year. Nobody knows the precise size of the Indian Chinese population: estimates suggest less than 5,000 of them live in Kolkata and perhaps another 5,000 in the rest of India.

It was, but of course, a very enterprising and hardworking trader who first came to Bengal over 200 years ago; Yang Daijang from Guandong, who, in a moment of unusual generosity from the British received a grant of 650 bighas of land just 30 km from Kolkata,  in return for the gift of a shipload of tea. Yang, called Atchew by the British, began a sugar factory and brought Chinese labour to the port city that came to be known as Achipur.

My own connection with the Chinese is considerably less ancient but does go back several decades. There were Chinese classmates in my school in Bombay, a Chinese newspaper three houses away from mine in Bombay Central, and a Chinese school slightly further away in Agripada, a Chinese temple near Dockyard station, even a small Chinatown (with a lone and somewhat forlorn Chinese restaurant) on Sukhlaji Street behind Alexandra Cinema, that used to light up at Chinese New Year.

There were Chinese seamen, carpenters and deck hands. Some passing through the city, others on extended stays. And then there were dentists with smiles painted on their doorways, shoe shops in Colaba near the Taj Mahal Hotel, the earliest beauty parlours, even hawkers who peddled silks from China. They were Hakka, Cantonese, Hupei. Many had lived in India for several generations, their ancestors having sailed across from Hong Kong to Calcutta and Bombay, from one British colony to another. Some even had Indian passports.

That was all very long ago; the Indo-China war changed everything one morning in 1962. My classmates stopped coming to school, the Chinese school and the newspaper were closed with policemen posted outside. The occasional Chinese hawker on the bicycle was beaten up by angry crowds. Bombay's Chinatown never celebrated New year again.

I knew too little then. But years later my love affair with a Bengali girl led me to Kolkata and to breakfast on Sunday mornings in its shrinking Chinatown. Two actually: one in the heart of the city, around Sun Yat Sen Street near Bow Bazaar and Bentinck Street, not far from the Esplanade; the other in Tangra where the leather tanneries once were and have now given way to glitzy Chinese restaurants. Over the years, I took many thousand stills, met many families. The barriers slowly melted away.

I realised that the war in 1962 was a defining moment for the Chinese in India, almost like Partition has been for the people of the sub-continent. In its aftermath, many Chinese were picked up by the police in various Indian cities and especially in the border towns of Assam, Meghalaya, Arunachal. They were interned in camps in Deoli, Rajasthan; their property confiscated and auctioned. Others were deported by sea or simply pushed over the borders. The rest awaited the dreaded midnight knock. All very reminiscent of the experience of the American Japanese on America's West Coast after Pearl Harbour.

A wave of migration began, principally to Canada, but also to Australia, Europe, Taiwan and Southeast Asia. But the ties remain. They form their own communities there with their own "Indian Chinese Associations", run "Indian Chinese" restaurants, enjoy annual picnics together, celebrate weddings and birthdays with Bollywood songs and tandoori chicken. And yes, they tend to marry within the "Indian Chinese" community. Sharing the multiple identities of being Indian, Bengali perhaps, and Chinese of course, even as they find themselves twice displaced.

That story prompted my documentary The Legend of Fat Mama for BBC World, a journey of nostalgia in search of a woman who once made the most amazing noodles in Kolkata's Chinatown. The film, broadcast in over 200 countries in 2006, generated a groundswell of interest in the community and its history. It triggered serious academic interest (two students, one in Montreal and the other in London, both began a study of the diaspora for their PhDs); two major symposia on the subject; a website of the Indian Chinese; and at least three more documentary films being independently produced.

About time we reflect on our treatment of one of India's tiniest minorities, acknowledge the excesses committed in the aftermath of the 1962 war and redeem ourselves as a humane, compassionate democracy that believes in pluralism.

Excerpted with permission from Chinatown Kolkata by Rafeeq Ellias, published by Gallerie. 

We welcome your comments at letters@scroll.in.

-Swetha-

Minion23 IF-Sizzlerz
Minion23
Minion23

Posted: 29 March 2015 at 10:09am | IP Logged
Originally posted by mayusushita

News Nation Exclusive: Detective
Byomkesh Bakshi opens up

New Delhi: Bollywood actor Sushant Singh Rajput is all
set to make a grand comeback with upcoming movie
'Detective Byomkesh Bakshi'. 'PK' star spoke exclusively
to News Nation about the insiders and his contribution
to the film.
First thing first! He gave an idea about what character
is, and also revealed how it runs on a different note
that people still don't know about Byomkesh.
"The character of Byomkesh in the film is very
different from what people have seen so far. It is not
about the detective, instead its about how he became
one," Sushant said.
"The film presents story of a young college boy, who
shows interest in solving small cases, but unfortunately
lands into the one way beyond his expectations. That
case transforms his life in such a manner that he
becomes Byomkesh Bakshi we know in present days,"
the actor added while talking about the character.
On asking about his experience of playing a retro
character he said, "An actor gives good six-seven
months of his life to a film and playing different is the
only asset one actor can have."
While he was busy elaborating the character and its
specifications, I digged a bit further and asked him
about that one thing on which Byomkesh rely most to
solve his cases.
"Instincts!" He replied. Then elaborated, "at first he
solves cases with the help of instincts successfully but
when he tries his hand on a big one it backfires and
puts him in deep trouble, the case transforms his
personality forever."
He also talked about how it is not an adaptation of the
old Byomkesh Bakshi, instead a fresh package with
contemporary feel attached to it.
"We haven't played with the period, the film strictly
presents Calcutta of 1943 and the same story Sharad
Indu Ji had written, but appearance, visuals, editing,
ligjting and even music are contemporary."
Now, while he was focusing on how things have been
kept similar to what it was in 1943, i posted a question
- how it connects with the audiences on 2015?
Hitting every notch of sensibility, he said, "Dibakar
once asked him about what he feels about 1940s of
cinema. To which he gave answer anyone could have
thought off black and white era, larger than life issues,
etc. But, Dibakar then asked him to watch a
documentary of 4 hours where people had no idea
about they are being captured in the camera. After
watching that he found out that people were doing the
same things which we do now, the only difference is
technology but the emotions are same. And those
emotions, curiosity to know what is going to happen
next bridge relation between current viewers and old
era."
On asking about Adolf Hitler connection wit the film,
he smiled, giggled and remained unanswered by simply
saying, "watch the film to know the answer."
Since he will be seen as Mahendra Singh Dhoni in his
upcoming biopic, I also asked him about his take on
India failing to reclaim World Cup champions title.
"In India, cricket is all about emotions, Team India win
a match people say they have won it and start
celebrating, if team lose a match people say they lost it
and start reacting to it. We need to change this mind
set," said PK actor.
He also slammed twitter troll against her friend
Anushka Sharma and said, "people have no shame in
blaming a person who has no relation to it."
"People in India just want to find a logic that is why
they are blaming Anushka," he added.
Pushing interview towards the end he said he will soon
be doing something for the idiot box and also the
digital platform in coming future.
Well, promos are promising and we wished actor all
luck for the success of the film.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

ChannaMereya-Swetha-

ProudSushantian IF-Sizzlerz
ProudSushantian
ProudSushantian

Posted: 30 March 2015 at 5:17am | IP Logged
Mastiii TV @mastiiitv 2h2 hours ago

Watch @itsSSR in #SeeTaareMastiiiMein talking about his film Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! only on Mastiii! @sidkannan https://youtu.be/jtHItkEEKtY

ChannaMereya-Swetha-

ProudSushantian IF-Sizzlerz
ProudSushantian
ProudSushantian

Posted: 30 March 2015 at 5:18am | IP Logged
Byomkesh Bakshy @byomkeshbakshy 1h1 hour ago

In pursuit of truth, Byomkesh is led into a gripping turn of events. Will he break all the illusions? #DBBPoster3

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

touch_of_pinkChannaMereya-Swetha-

touch_of_pink IF-Sizzlerz
touch_of_pink
touch_of_pink

Posted: 30 March 2015 at 6:04am | IP Logged

Trailer of YRF & DBP's #Titli will be attached to the digital prints of #DetectiveByomkeshBakshy. India release date to be decided.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

majoni03ChannaMereya-Swetha-

Minion23 IF-Sizzlerz
Minion23
Minion23

bonnefille-Swetha-

Go to top