Azor_Ahai Goldie
Azor_Ahai
Azor_Ahai

Posted: 07 January 2014 at 11:17am | IP Logged

Shoojit Sircar gifts a 'football film' to John on his wedding

Zinia Sen,TNN | Jan 7, 2014, 12.00 AM IST

Shoojit Sircar gifts a 'football film' to John on his wedding
John Abraham
They go back along way. So, when John Abraham married girlfriend of three years Priya Runchal in a private ceremony in LA, it was obvious for Shoojit Sircar " in Kolkata around that time " to sit back and plan a wedding gift. But the 'Madras Cafe' director seems to have delivered a gift at John's door even before the wedding took place. It's none other than a film script, says Shoojit. Shoojit's next with John is based on Mohun Bagan's victory against East Yorkshire Regiment on July 29, 1911, when the country was under British rule. By being the first native team to have won the IFA Shield, Mohun Bagan dribbled straight into the pages of history. It's also a known fact that the Mohun Bagan players, in folded dhotis, played barefoot against the British team wearing boots and shorts. The infrastructural support and bias typical of the white rulers. 

"Though John did not quite unveil his wedding plans, I knew something like this was about to happen. So, I gifted him the script in advance. And yes, he loved it. Mohun Bagan's win is an amazing story; for me, it's the real 'Lagaan'." 

The script is written by Soumik Sen, who's set to mark his debut in B'wood with Gulaab Gang starring Madhuri Dixit-Nene and Juhi Chawla. While Soumik and Shoojit are part of the Bengali Club in Bollywood, with John, there's a lot more than cinema, says the director. "Both of us love football. In fact, when not shooting, we engage ourselves in the game. And since John's wedding gift had to be special, this is what I planned," he says, adding, "Now, I'm going to ask John for a gala treat. There's no sparing him on that." 

The movie is currently in pre-production stage and Shoojit admits that a lot of homework needs to go into getting the depiction of the era right. Meanwhile, a film in Bengal has already paid tribute to the historic event on celluloid. Called Egaro, the film won critical appreciation even though it was made on a small budget and a handful of young actors. "I have not seen Egaro," Shoojit tells us. His film, produced by John Abraham and Ronnie Lahiri, will start rolling early next year. It will be shot entirely in Bengal. Who said Kolkata is not part of John's wedding celebrations!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

SudhaSangeetchimchimcher-ee

mz.jess IF-Sizzlerz
mz.jess
mz.jess

Posted: 07 January 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged
This sounds super exciting! John is the best person to play this character

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

SudhaSangeet

grounder IF-Rockerz
grounder
grounder

Posted: 07 January 2014 at 5:50pm | IP Logged
script free mein likh ke di kya? .. if not, then how can it be a gift? .. such cheapo, real gift dene se bachna chahta hai Wink
HZAnita IF-Dazzler
HZAnita
HZAnita

Posted: 07 January 2014 at 6:02pm | IP Logged
I love that John has thrown himself into producing movies he really loves!  He is turning into a really great producer, IMO.

I look forward to this one!

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

SudhaSangeetTargaryenchimchimcher-ee

SudhaSangeet IF-Dazzler
SudhaSangeet
SudhaSangeet

Posted: 07 January 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by HZAnita

I love that John has thrown himself into producing movies he really loves!  He is turning into a really great producer, IMO.

I look forward to this one!

Yes, the only reason, he turned into one. He gets the creative and intellectual freedom, what he wants to see in films.  He did do off-beats films before, but were not backed and supported. Now he can even produce the films of content as well as market and publicize it on his own...with his own faith. Also he has a great team, not to forget.

@TM, thanks for sharing, hope this starts soon!!!!

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

tulsi003chimchimcher-ee

• Page 1 of 1

Go to top