Most embellished in this serial?

Poll

Which character so far has been embellished the most in this serial?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago
While the serial has been busy making the characters more negative than they really were, or weakening them, on the other end, there are some who were made to look better than they actually were.

I included Ganga b'cos her role in drowning her 7 babies were conveniently skipped, and after that, she always appears to have the greater good of Hastinapur in her mind - something that was not there in the story.

Bheeshma, for instance, never played such an assertive role in seeing to it that the Pandavas got their due.  Indirectly, he's been made to look better by the negative portrayal of Amba and Shakuni wrt his approaching them for marriages, and Shikhandini's negative portrayal over Amba's revenge.  But even after that, a lot of the things he's been portrayed as doing - confronting Dhritarashtra & Shakuni after the attempt on Bhima, trying to influence Dhritarashtra to select Yudisthir, etc never happened.

Drona - showing him as being distraught after he demanded Ekalavya's thumb was nothing but a blatant attempt at damage control, since few have a positive impression of him on this issue.  Also, showing him shattering the elephant head over Arjun instead of giving Ashwatthama a good hiding, to demonstrate how prepared Arjun always is - was pretty inane.

Gandhari - in the original story, she often turned a blind eye to the deeds of her sons & brother.  Here, she's shown as actively opposing them.

Kunti - she's been portrayed as the saint in the Pandava family.  First of all, she never cared about Karna even after his appearance at the tournament, and only went to him when the war looked certain.  But in this serial, she's shown as being concerned about him, feeling hurt every time he is hurt, et al.  To embellish her decisions, a fictional character Priyamvada was introduced, who inspires her to lie every step of the way.  Also, the real Kunti was hostile to Madri, but in this serial, Madri has been painted as the villain.

I deliberately didn't include Arjun here, since his character is not embellished, just hyped - to make him do things he didn't.  It's a whole another field.  If you think someone else I've overlooked deserves this, feel free to check 'other'.

So which character do you think has been embellished the most in this serial?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Medha.S thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Well, bhishmas character irritates me, i bet they will show him reacting righteously to the disrobing too since they dont mind showing him scolding and chiding his family members.
Too much righteousness.I have always felt that he didnt really loved either the pandavas or the kauravas and found it ironic that duri always blamed him for being partial towards pandavas.
But that is just what i think.So the emotional court scene got on the wrong side of me.
Medha.S thumbnail
And i rather like the gandhari of indonesian mahabharat, a jealous woman to the boot.Fell in love with pandu but was forced to marry the blind elder brother.Hence, her children were always taught to hate kunti and her children.
Shakuni was just not that important and didnt spend all his time in hastinapur trying to avenge is innocent kind sister.
Kuntis character is seedy on a whole new level, i think she ruined yudhishtiras childhood because of her jealousy for madri and unhappiness towards pandu.
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Bheeshma had become a slave to the blind king due to his vow. There was nothing he could have done differently.
Yes here he was shown confronting Dhrit and Shakuni after the poisoning of Bhima. In actual, there was no eye witness and Shakuni wasn't involved 😆
Therefore no confrontation.
But now he's being shown helpless due to the king. So that's right!

IMO they don't need to turn others negative to glorify him..because he's glorified already. Nothing extra needed!

Ganga's part was skipped! But she drowned the seven babies to break their curse, she was requested to do so.

Kunti 🤢
The excess sweetness...lol!
Voted for her.
...Diala... thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Kunti Aunty ðŸ˜†

The intensity of character sanitizing can not be measured.. but what bothers me most is that she will be there until almost the end of the s how and all her activity will be talking talking talking and am not ready to take it ðŸ˜­
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Perhaps the stronger side of Bhishma at that event was to insert a comic scene with Shakuni. Because he was helpless when Dhrit insulted Satyavati.
shripadk thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

While the serial has been busy making the characters more negative than they really were, or weakening them, on the other end, there are some who were made to look better than they actually were.

I included Ganga b'cos her role in drowning her 7 babies were conveniently skipped, and after that, she always appears to have the greater good of Hastinapur in her mind - something that was not there in the story.

Bheeshma, for instance, never played such an assertive role in seeing to it that the Pandavas got their due.  Indirectly, he's been made to look better by the negative portrayal of Amba and Shakuni wrt his approaching them for marriages, and Shikhandini's negative portrayal over Amba's revenge.  But even after that, a lot of the things he's been portrayed as doing - confronting Dhritarashtra & Shakuni after the attempt on Bhima, trying to influence Dhritarashtra to select Yudisthir, etc never happened.

Drona - showing him as being distraught after he demanded Ekalavya's thumb was nothing but a blatant attempt at damage control, since few have a positive impression of him on this issue.  Also, showing him shattering the elephant head over Arjun instead of giving Ashwatthama a good hiding, to demonstrate how prepared Arjun always is - was pretty inane.

Gandhari - in the original story, she often turned a blind eye to the deeds of her sons & brother.  Here, she's shown as actively opposing them.

Kunti - she's been portrayed as the saint in the Pandava family.  First of all, she never cared about Karna even after his appearance at the tournament, and only went to him when the war looked certain.  But in this serial, she's shown as being concerned about him, feeling hurt every time he is hurt, et al.  To embellish her decisions, a fictional character Priyamvada was introduced, who inspires her to lie every step of the way.  Also, the real Kunti was hostile to Madri, but in this serial, Madri has been painted as the villain.

I deliberately didn't include Arjun here, since his character is not embellished, just hyped - to make him do things he didn't.  It's a whole another field.  If you think someone else I've overlooked deserves this, feel free to check 'other'.

So which character do you think has been embellished the most in this serial?

I agree with Kunti being embellished the most. Other characters that have been embellished:

Ved Vyas: He was shown like any other ordinary Rishi and was not given his possibly only very important scene (birth of Pandu/Dhrit/Vidhur) in the whole of Mahabharat (the other being the boon of Divya Drishti to Sanjaya).

(might surprise many)  Lord Krishna: I actually feel the talent of Saurabh Jain is misused. His costume looks terrible (actually gayish <- not being offensive to any gender here) and behavior is  too sweet to digest. I was expecting so much from him considering he was possibly the best looking and apt portrayal of Lord Vishnu (DKDM <- even here his talent was misused but thats a totally different story and doesn't belong in this forum). I just hated those teachings at the beginning of the show. Nowhere in comparison to the dialog delivery of Nitish Bharadwaj in BRC Mahabharat.

Then Shakuni. Horrible acting and does not justify the character.

Dhritarashtra is always either in anger or irritated. Neither were the traits as depicted in original scriptures.

Satyavati was embellished as well. In actual Mahabharat, she was never greedy for the throne. But in the serial she was shown to be a vamp.

There are so many problems with this Mahabharat that it pains me that they wasted 100 crores on this project. It would have been better if they had just donated that money to some ashram or fed the poor.

Vr15h thumbnail
There are 2 threads.  This one focuses on characters being made to look better than they really were.  This thread - Most defamed in this serial? - focusses on characters made to look worse than they really were.

Originally posted by: shripadk

I agree with Kunti being embellished the most. Other characters that have been embellished:

Ved Vyas: He was shown like any other ordinary Rishi and was not given his possibly only very important scene (birth of Pandu/Dhrit/Vidhur) in the whole of Mahabharat (the other being the boon of Divya Drishti to Sanjaya).

(might surprise many)  Lord Krishna: I actually feel the talent of Saurabh Jain is misused. His costume looks terrible (actually gayish <- not being offensive to any gender here) and behavior is  too sweet to digest. I was expecting so much from him considering he was possibly the best looking and apt portrayal of Lord Vishnu (DKDM <- even here his talent was misused but thats a totally different story and doesn't belong in this forum). I just hated those teachings at the beginning of the show. Nowhere in comparison to the dialog delivery of Nitish Bharadwaj in BRC Mahabharat.

Then Shakuni. Horrible acting and does not justify the character.

Dhritarashtra is always either in anger or irritated. Neither were the traits as depicted in original scriptures.

Satyavati was embellished as well. In actual Mahabharat, she was never greedy for the throne. But in the serial she was shown to be a vamp.

There are so many problems with this Mahabharat that it pains me that they wasted 100 crores on this project. It would have been better if they had just donated that money to some ashram or fed the poor.

I mentioned Satyavati in the other thread.  Vyasa too would fall under that, except that he was not shown.  Krishna - I agree w/ you - his lessons were totally tangential to what the real Krishna told people he discussed issues w/.

Dhritarashtra & Shakuni - they were defamed as well, but the reason I didn't mention them even in that thread was that when positive characters like Drupada or Satyavati are shown so poorly, how can one expect them to show negative characters in a positive light?  Although they did do that w/ Gandhari and others listed in this poll.
Medha.S thumbnail
What? 😆
i think this confusing thing just happened due to different opinions on the definition of embellished?
😆
Vr15h thumbnail

embellish

embellish

/mbl/ Show Spelled [em-bel-ish] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to beautify by or as if by ornamentation; ornament; adorn.
to enhance (a statement or narrative) with fictitious additions