Debate Mansion

Quota or no Quota - Whats ur take on it

kabhi_21 thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Dear Friends,

There has been lots of talks all over India on this Issue. Now its the time to gather some experiences. I am not talking about India. What I am talking about is the place where you live. It may be a village in India, a city, a state, a nation, It may be USA, Germany or UK. Each government has their own policies on quota.

Kindly give your view as to what is the quota policy in the place you leave. Whether it is justifiable and is implemented properly. Whether the people you know are benefitted from this. How the surroundings have changed due to the policy. Whether any of your friends suffered from the policy. If yes what he did, If no what he did.

Please just dont write that I support or not. Write in detail about your views. Who knows this views can help someone, can help someone of your own. so dont be shy and write your opinions over here.

Thank you

Abhijit

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kabhi_21 thumbnail

Here is my stance on the issue. India is a big country with many states. The level of development in all the states is completely different. There are some states which are free from the caste discrimination, gender discrimination and all, which was prevailing earlier. While certain states are underdeveloped still after so many years of independence and all the discriminations are prevailing there. I feel the Government must do state to state analysis of such cases and based on that make the policy. Also there is the issue of the riches taking the benefit of this. So the concept of creamy layer must come. The third issue which has not come but I feel is, many of this caste people in old generation are not educated and their family does not follow the planning that means they have more than 3 children. I believe wherever reservations are given it shall be for two children only. Another issue is scholarship based on financial status for all not only some castes. U may not give reservation to open category poor people, but U need to assist them financially.

I believe that Strike by necessary professionals is an extreme step, which needs to be taken in extremities. Most of the people worldover may not know, how the Indian Government works. They have put the reservation in education as scapegoat and if they succeed here there will be reservation in private sector companies also. The doctors in India went on strike, only when the Government became adamant on the reservation issue. YFE has not demanded anything unreasonable. We had demanded to form a committee of non government persons and do a survey on the benefits derived from the reservations till date. The government did not agree as they know that there is no significant benefit to the poor population from the castes. The government is just looking at the vote bank. People don't have objection if the targeted population is benefited. But its not the case here. And when the Government does not want to listen, doctors had to take the extreme step. Even the people don't know that before strike some rallies were organized and the students were bitten a lot. While it was non violent rally. So the extremes are also to be considered sometimes. The people who complain that they are suffering, don't know how they are going to suffer tomorrow because of this policies and then u can not raise ur voice.

Edited by kabhi_21 - 17 years ago
*Jaya* thumbnail
To me - reservation policy is feel-good term for 'meritorial discrimination'. Yes, there are some extremely backword tribes in India still in some pockets, that need to be taken care of, but I think - by and large, the society today is pretty much the same for all castes - the prime driver for reservations.

India needs to move ahead, and today's youth are the building blocks for the developing India. And to take it forward, we certainly should not compromise on merit. If the critical positions in the country, be it medicine, engineering, teaching or anything follows the resevation policy, we will end up brilliant students sitting in the sidelines adding to their frustration, more dangerously having a less meritorious workforce supporting our critical life-lines! Certainly not the way to go as a country...

Yes, what is required is possibly a economic criteria based push.. Irrespective of what your social background is, a lot of people remain deprived of the opportunities because of the economic background. I think Govt. should gather information around that area, and formulate certain policies to push-up the people from the lower income groups. And why just the Govt. - this becomes a responsibility of each Indian, no matter where they reside.. If all of us can do something in our own little capacity, together - we could surely make a differenceπŸ‘πŸΌ
kabhi_21 thumbnail
Abhijit Shukla

I know it is discussed a lot.... But I want the knowledge of different policies in different states and different countries.... This is somthing because talks in ignorance dont fetch anything....
I want to know what are the policies and if anyone knows a person who is affected by it positively/negatively 😊
Dan Fan thumbnail
Hi guys i am in Bahrain and it is a very peaceful country.There are ostly indians. We have a lot of fun with friends other than family friends or family. There are no poblems here only that i hate this ramadan coming because we cannot eat ir drink outside.This country is a developed country do there are no changes in policies, so usually there is no problem withmy friends.If you wanna know more about BAHRAIN then you can pm me anytime. I would be glad to tell you.And i even thank abhijit that he has come up with such a brilliant idea about ones staying place. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ 😊 πŸ˜Š πŸ˜Š πŸ˜Š πŸ˜ŠEdited by Dan Fan - 17 years ago
livelychatter thumbnail
I think education should be a right not a privilege. Unfort. the ones in power do not see people equally. Character is who you are in the dark-not sure who said this quote-but I believe it. I also believe in affirmative action until we can have a prejudice free society.
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Let us leave India to the reserved category and fly to other countries....let them reserve 100% to non higher caste people πŸ˜›
chal_phek_mat thumbnail
Quota system has helped a lot of people in the world, Lots of people who never had a shot at things such as education, a secure job, a better life now have it

These people suffered for centuries, what is 50 years in front of it, the majority should learn to suck it up and get on with it
chatbuster thumbnail

i dont think they should mess around with quotas when it comes to jobs, education and access to other opportunities. Those hurt the income/ productivity side of the equation directly. If they must, they can work with the expense side of the equation- build facilities targetted to different disadvantaged segments, or otherwise redistribute the fruits of income generation through how they spend tax money. It's the same principle when it comes to individuals- the smart ones think of growing their incomes multi-fold, the stupid ones focus all their life on how to save money by working on the cost side. So leave the income part to folks who are actually competent enough to generate national income, and that's generally not the folks who get by on quotas. After all, if income is lower, there'll only be a smaller pie to divvy up. 😊
chatbuster thumbnail

in other words, having quotas is like having the husband who makes millions of dollars stay at home so that the wife can go out and do her secretarial job, all because someone decrees that she should have equal opportunity to make up for all the years she got oppressed. her household would be better off if her guy worked and she went about her daily routine of going to salons to get her nails painted. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜›πŸ˜†

in similar fashion, the country would be better off if the really qualified get to work and brought in all the national income, and the rest get a check to just sit it out at home. the other way around would be a disaster😊