Debate Mansion

Most overrated tv actor/actress (Page 17)

Post Reply New Post

Page 17 of 21

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:02pm | IP Logged
Overrated actor/actresses ---
All of the fashion glam stars. Most of them can barely act the first time they enter the industry. All they carry with them is a pretty face (sometimes) and hopefully a well-known last name.

These Kapoor sisters would never have become actresses, if it weren't for their family name. You call Kareena's hideous performances acting? In her long career thus far, with so many movies, Jab We Met is the only movie where any essence of acting was portrayed. And IMO, that was her portraying her own real life personality on screen, that is why it came across natural. And she was so annoying in that movie, but I guess she's supposed to be. And if you call Karishma's dancing with Govinda acting, then sure, she can act.

Take Aishwariya Rai ---- don't even get me started there. Make her stand in the corner of the room, and you got something decent to look at, as soon as she starts talking --- god, she makes me cringe. I really don't understand what makes models think that bollywood is their second career option?

And the list goes on ....

Underrated ---
Actors like Manoj Bajpai and Irfan Khan portray the essence of acting. They stay so true to their role, there is so much depth in their portrayal of their characters. There are many more that can be added to this list, but these two, IMO are extremely skillful actors.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Most overrated tv actor/actress (Page 17)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Sujal_Fan_No1

Goldie

Sujal_Fan_No1

Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:05pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Gauri_3

most under-rated is my ShineyDisapprove

Dont worry Gauri My rajeev will be in that section too Cry maybe there should be a thread instead. Most underrated actorsSmile

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged
[QUOTE=*Woh Ajnabee*]Overrated actor/actresses ---
All of the fashion glam stars. Most of them can barely act the first time they enter the industry. All they carry with them is a pretty face (sometimes) and hopefully a well-known last name.

These Kapoor sisters would never have become actresses, if it weren't for their family name. You call Kareena's hideous performances acting? In her long career thus far, with so many movies, Jab We Met is the only movie where any essence of acting was portrayed. And IMO, that was her portraying her own real life personality on screen, that is why it came across natural. And she was so annoying in that movie, but I guess she's supposed to be. And if you call Karishma's dancing with Govinda acting, then sure, she can act.

Take Aishwariya Rai ---- don't even get me started there. Make her stand in the corner of the room, and you got something decent to look at, as soon as she starts talking --- god, she makes me cringe. I really don't understand what makes models think that bollywood is their second career option? that she can act is self-evident whether you have personal opinion or bias for or against it.. that she is good looking and can act is something nobody expected... so thats where the jealousy comes into picture...

And the list goes on ....

Underrated ---
Actors like Manoj Bajpai and Irfan Khan portray the essence of acting. They stay so true to their role, there is so much depth in their portrayal of their characters. There are many more that can be added to this list, but these two, IMO are extremely skillful actors. neither of the ones you mentioned can fight or do comedy...so they lack the versatility of a good actor.. so they dont even get rated.. which is fine.. in their niche roles they might still be good.. but their reach is tiny unlike AB, SRK, HR you cant put them in teh same league as teh super good guys...
 QUOTE]

*Woh Ajnabee*

IF-Sizzlerz

*Woh Ajnabee*

Posted: 11 March 2009 at 5:29pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by qwertyesque

that she can act is self-evident whether you have personal opinion or bias for or against it.. that she is good looking and can act is something nobody expected... so thats where the jealousy comes into picture...

Jealous? Oh boy, I have been accused of many things in life, but never of being jealous of Aishwariya Rai. I guess there really is a first for everything. LOL Umm, no I do not think I am jealous of her, oh wait, she is married to AB junior, isn't she? Hmm, let me reconsider that for a second ... nah, never mind ... not jealous. LOL Granted she is good looking, but that does not equate to acting skills. I do not see any skill in the way she portrays herself on screen, she has this high-pitched hyena laugh, when she cries, I want to cringe, her dialogue delivery is so poor. Outside of acting, her personality is so bland and she usually makes a fool out of herself during interviews (especially on 60 minutes and the Tyra Bank show). So, besides the "looking-good" part, I don't see anything attractive about her. I do not know how you can call her acting "self-evident", I do believe that nothing in life is self-evident, and most definitely not Aishwariya's acting. I don't know about self-bias, but it most certainly is a personal opinion. You are welcome to enjoy her movies, I am not asking you to stop watching them. Are you planning on going to see the Pink Panther?

neither of the ones you mentioned can fight or do comedy...so they lack the versatility of a good actor.. so they dont even get rated.. which is fine.. in their niche roles they might still be good.. but their reach is tiny unlike AB, SRK, HR you cant put them in teh same league as teh super good guys...
Oh I am not criticizing SRK and Aamir or AB and HR, they are all wonderful actors, and have given their share of art to the industry. But I'm just mentioning that Manoj Bajpai and Irfan Khan are actors that I like, I like the roles they play, the personalities that their characters portray. I see perfection in their performances. As for versatility, from the above mentioned actors, I only think Aamir Khan is a versatile actor. It is hard for actors to be versatile in Bollywood, because they usually get stuck in one genre and have a hard time coming out of it. But, if given a chance, I do believe Irfan Khan and Manoj Bajpai could be comedians or fighters.

QUOTE]

Gauri_3

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 11 March 2009 at 7:39pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

qwertyesque

IF-Rockerz

qwertyesque

Posted: 11 March 2009 at 8:21pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Woh Ajnabee*

Originally posted by qwertyesque

that she can act is self-evident whether you have personal opinion or bias for or against it.. that she is good looking and can act is something nobody expected... so thats where the jealousy comes into picture...

Jealous? Oh boy, I have been accused of many things in life, but never of being jealous of Aishwariya Rai. I guess there really is a first for everything. LOL Umm, no I do not think I am jealous of her, oh wait, she is married to AB junior, isn't she? Hmm, let me reconsider that for a second ... nah, never mind ... not jealous. LOL Granted she is good looking, but that does not equate to acting skills. I do not see any skill in the way she portrays herself on screen, she has this high-pitched hyena laugh, when she cries, I want to cringe, her dialogue delivery is so poor. Outside of acting, her personality is so bland and she usually makes a fool out of herself during interviews (especially on 60 minutes and the Tyra Bank show). So, besides the "looking-good" part, I don't see anything attractive about her. I do not know how you can call her acting "self-evident", I do believe that nothing in life is self-evident, and most definitely not Aishwariya's acting. I don't know about self-bias, but it most certainly is a personal opinion. You are welcome to enjoy her movies, I am not asking you to stop watching them. Are you planning on going to see the Pink Panther?yeah jealous not as an individual.. but as a group of women who find this fact that ash is a miss world and hasachieved as much accliam in acting world.....she is good..u say she cant speak.. luckily she has become miss world.. on some other criteria other than vital stats...now lets do this ..give me who amongst the recent actresses you think is a good "actress" then let me tell you how tall aish stands compares to her...please dont take names like vidya balon or something in the tier 4 or tier 5 actresses...  take somebody measuriong up to her stature..i am planning to watch pink panther this weekend...

neither of the ones you mentioned can fight or do comedy...so they lack the versatility of a good actor.. so they dont even get rated.. which is fine.. in their niche roles they might still be good.. but their reach is tiny unlike AB, SRK, HR you cant put them in teh same league as teh super good guys...
Oh I am not criticizing SRK and Aamir or AB and HR, they are all wonderful actors, and have given their share of art to the industry. But I'm just mentioning that Manoj Bajpai and Irfan Khan are actors that I like, I like the roles they play, the personalities that their characters portray. I see perfection in their performances. As for versatility, from the above mentioned actors, I only think Aamir Khan is a versatile actor. It is hard for actors to be versatile in Bollywood, because they usually get stuck in one genre and have a hard time coming out of it. But, if given a chance, I do believe Irfan Khan and Manoj Bajpai could be comedians or fighters. sorry besides what they have done so far...neither of them is capable ot doing anything else..remember the game show by bajpai kam ya jyada..his jokes were like oh so pathetic....but i agree they are good at what they are doing which is all they are capable of doing....

QUOTE]

Edited by qwertyesque - 11 March 2009 at 8:23pm

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 March 2009 at 8:59pm | IP Logged
In defense of Freida -

There is no concrete proof of her marriage or engagement. Only speculations. Even the pictures provided as "engagement" do not really show an actual ceremony.

So an engagement was called off at the most. It probably makes her less likable and shallow as a person. I think societal pressure makes many girl tend to "settle" for stability instead of really pursuing what they desire.

I have known girls who considered or even got engaged because of social pressure to "settle" in life. However, when they finally got that job or college admission they wanted its a reminder that says dreams can be pursued there is no need to "settle" However, social choices are made very narrow for Indian women.

Burning bridges to pursue dreams may seem something shallow and not nice. Chances are that it may come back to haunt her, or maybe not. While I would not say her choice is completely ethically justified, but at the same time the choice is less from her poor personality and more from the way society is structured for women with ambitions.

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 11 March 2009 at 9:23pm | IP Logged
We could go on forever with the debate of overrated/underrated. After all it is a matter of personal tastes in the end. While actors should be measured on acting quality, the truth is that theirs is a field where a combination of skills, looks and personality matter.

I am a huge fan of SRK. Many people criticize his acting and typecasting. Despite my adoration for him I will admit that his acting skills are mediocre compared to his contemporaries and he is not that great of a looker. What he lacks in these departments he has made up with his personality, charm, wit and intellect. He knows how to brand and market himself. He knows what appeals to women and masses and conforms to it. His uncanny ability to be in tune with the market he serves makes him completely deserving of the hype he comes with.

The Kapoor sisters - I guess I should have mentioned branding as a factor too. Its what gives a brand an edge over generic. I actually think in their case the hype over their lineage has underrated their mettle as actors. Karishma was a joke in her first movie. Her portrayal of emotions and drama was joke throughout her career. However, she had an uncanny sense of comic timing and the best repotire of expressions ranging from deadpan to screwball for the humor genre. She even did a commendable and surprising job in DTPH where i thought she was the best in the movie. Kareena to has stand out expressions and even did well with drama in Chameli. However, she has let herself be commercially typecast.

Ah Ash where do we start. It's hard to say anything against her where people are willing to drop on the floor and kiss the dirt she walks on.

As a child when she first won Miss World, I was completely awestruck by Aishwariya. She was the perfect amalgation of beauty and brains and a shining star for women. Her first few movies were duds, but along with being a looker she has talent too. SLB has managed to get the best range of portrayals out of her.

What makes me abhor Aishwariya is her personality. She is one of those women who would make a good trophy as long as she shuts up. When she speaks she is absolutely totally pretentious, dull, snobbish and just plain full of herself abrasive. She thinks she is so cool making a mark in Hollywood and all that Jazz. Damn woman - even Simon Pegg is bigger and better than you.

I'm not sure if you can classify it as jealousy since I have no qualms flipping over for Lena Headey, Kate Beckinsale or Keira Knightley. Bit if Aishwariya is the yardstick measure for all women and my disdain for her is jealousy then so be it.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

Post Reply New Post

Go to top