Types of Chakraviyuhs- war formations, Krishn-Arjuns Offensive Tactics

Posted: 10 years ago
CHAKRAVYUHS - War formations, special war puzzles(Viyuhs)

About the Chakravyu, I am a little confused as to what the people on this forum understand of Chakravyus.

Chakravyu were puzzle like war formations designed by tacticians of a camp. People studied the formations of these Vyuh- Puzzles, how to design one, how to enter one, how to break them and how to come out of them.

There were the basic war formations- known to every informed warrior who official took the War lessons.
Then there were the Custom made Chakra viyuhs designed by the foremost of the war Tacticians personally for their own use.
In that subhadra-Arjuna scene, there were different designs of Chakravyuhs lying around.

Design of Viyuhs had to do with the Tacticians mind, putting every trick and every small information you have in a specific geometry. It is said that Krishna and Arjuna had a mind of an engineer or an architect(?) i guess.They both were involved in the Architecture and design of Dwarka City and Indraprastha City. To design the Viyuhs, Geometry and war study were used.

Go read the Virata War - Bheeshma Formed a chakravyuh to protect Duryodhana from BRIHNALA(Arjuna).

This was a defensive chakravyuh. All the warriors, bheeshma, Kripa, Ashwatthama, Karna, Drona, Bheeshma were standing in different levels of the chakravyuh with Duryodhan at the centre.

Every formation of these Viyuhs had different number of warriors and gates, and an able commander like Drona or Bheeshma or Arjuna.

2 million soldiers could be used or no soldiers at all could be used too. In simple words, Viyuhswere like mazes. Every level was harder than the level before. There are mentions of Mayavi chakraviyuhs in which magic was used.

Shrikhandani was shown as the commander of of Drupads chakravyuh.

Sahdevas chakravyuh was extremely small but effective. A one man formation.

There were two types of Chakravyuh - offensive and defensive. Krishna and Arjuna enjoyed breaking Viyuhs.

Guru Dronas chakravyuh was called PADMAVYUH because it was shaped like a lotus. It was an offensive one.

Bheeshma was against Offensive viyuhs because he did not like the idea of a warrior being attacked from every different side. It went against the basic Principles of war. Even in the Kurukshetra war he was against it but he was one out of three people who could be the commander including Dron and Karna. After these three were dead, there are no signs of any war formations.

Karna again never liked Viyuhs,he didnt think it was a good idea to hide yourself in a formation.

Bheeshma formed a Defensive viyuh during the Virata war though. So they could protect the King. But Arjuna broke every level with the last three levels being commanded by Karna, Drona and Bheeshma. He got to Duryodhana.

Kauravas formed many kind of chakravuhs during the war. Multiples war formations.

When they wanted to protect Jayadaratha from Arjuna who had vowed to Kill him, Guru drona formed another  Defensive chakraviyuh which was a combination of many viyuhs like the Sarpaviyuh and soochiviyuh, but alas, Arjuna broke them all and entered inside it with Krishna.

In those days, a successful war formations could be designed and executed with the :-
right knowledge of angles and geometry
the right kind of gates and levels with every level being different and harder from the level before
good warriors who were quick on their feat 
formidable Commander who could instruct under pressure
Absence of ArjunaπŸ˜†

Fun Fact: 1) Abhimanyu crossed 6 levels of Dronas chakraviyuh.
           2) Krishna and Arjuna had an indulgent hobby of breaking               Chakraviyuhs. it was fun for them and they both had               long discussions on it. 

Edited by medha00 - 10 years ago
Omg... guruji...kamal ki post layi hu... πŸ₯³ thanks for d the such a awesome info...wonderfull post πŸ‘
Originally posted by medha00

Guru Dronas chakravyuh was called PADMAVYUH because it was shaped like a lotus. It was an offensive one.

When they wanted to protect Jayadaratha from Arjuna who had vowed to Kill him, Guru drona formed another  Defensive chakraviyuh which was a combination of many viyuhs like the Sarpaviyuh and soochiviyuh, but alas, Arjuna broke them all and entered inside it with Krishna.

@ black- Chakravyuh was different from Padmavyuha. the latter was a separate independent vyuha

@  pink - No. There was no sarpavyuha in that. The vyuha which Drona had designed to protect Jayadrath  was a tightly knit combination of three vyuhas- first the Shakata (cart formation), then the Padma (lotus) vyuha and instead of the stem for the lotus, Drona created a Soochi (needle) vyhua with seven maharathis placed in a singular line as the needle. Jayadhratha was placed in the 'eye' of the needle. 

It was across these three vuyhas that Arjuna Bhima and Satyaki tore past to reach Jayadrath. This was on the 14th day of the battle  
Edited by varaali - 10 years ago
Originally posted by varaali

@ black- Chakravyuh was different from Padmavyuha. the latter was a separate independent vyuha

@  pink - No. There was no sarpavyuha in that. The vyuha which Drona had designed to protect Jayadrath  was a tightly knit combination of three vyuhas- first the Shakata (cart formation), then the Padma (lotus) vyuha and instead of the stem for the lotus, Drona created a Soochi (needle) vyhua with seven maharathis placed in a singular line as the needle. Jayadhratha was placed in the 'eye' of the needle.

It was across these three vuyhas that Arjuna Bhima and Satyaki tore past to reach Jayadrath. This was on the 14th day of the battle  

Hmm you could be right but there are so many versions of Mahabharata and different studies and analysis that i could be right tooπŸ˜†

We are all open to our own interpretation no.

Dronas Viyuh was formed as a blooming Lotus so Padmaviyuh but still this Viyuh that killed Abhimanyu is widely known as CHAKRAVIYUH. everyone calls it that. Why dont people call it Padmaviyuh then?πŸ₯±

But then again, to each their own ... thank youπŸ€—
Originally posted by rashvin

wonderful post medha:)

Thankyou for taking the time to read my rant Rashvin ...πŸ€—
Hats off to youπŸ‘
Originally posted by medha00

Go read the Virata War - Bheeshma Formed a chakravyuh to protect Duryodhana from BRIHNALA(Arjuna).

This was a defensive chakravyuh. All the warriors, bheeshma, Kripa, Ashwatthama, Karna, Drona, Bheeshma were standing in different levels of the chakravyuh with Duryodhan at the centre.

No where is the word Chakravyuh mentioned. From the description, it seems to have been a three pronged formation (most probably a Trishula ) with Drona in the centre , Kripacharya and Ashwathama guarding the right and left flanks and Bhishma at the rear.

In the Matsya War, the Kurus thought they were facing the Matsya army- far weaker than theirs. So why would they have a defensive formation ?
Edited by varaali - 10 years ago
Originally posted by varaali

No where is the word Chakravyuh mentioned. From the description, it seems to have been a thre pronged formation (most probably a Trishula ) with Drona in the centre , Kripacharya and Ashwathama guarding the right and left flanks and Bhishma at the rear.

In the Matsya War, the Kurus thought they were facing the Matsya army- far weaker than theirs. So why would they have a defensive formation ?

where is it not  mentioned?πŸ˜• in Abhimanyus killing? are you sure?πŸ˜†
Lol. about the Matsya war, when Arjuna is dragging around Uttara and taunting him for being a coward the army is laughing at the sight, Bheeshma and drona realize its Arjuna and then to protect Duryodhan from him they start making a defensive Viyuh  and put Duryodhan in the middle ... 

...every thing doesnt need to be written and explained, we need to read and analyze it our self.πŸ€“ which you did and i did too. you think what you did and i though what i did after reading the same thing. meri englisgh bhi thik thaak hai. 

Also, i hate to refer Wikipedia for these things but ...
i am quite sure they have written  "Chakraviyuh( or Padmaviyuh)" while some people think it is diffrent and call it viyuh .. commonly people call every viyuh chakraviyuh. πŸ˜•

Have a good Day.Whatever i have written is what i know and understand by what i have analyzed. So you could be right but i could be right too.😳

Edited by medha00 - 10 years ago
Originally posted by 22pundirabhi

Omg... guruji...kamal ki post layi hu... πŸ₯³ thanks for d the such a awesome info...wonderfull post πŸ‘
Ahha meri favourite shishya ...πŸ˜†
Thanks for all these infos Medha... πŸ˜³
Good going..Ahaan.. πŸ˜Ž
Originally posted by debaleena_tunai

Thanks for all these infos Medha... πŸ˜³
Good going..Ahaan.. πŸ˜Ž

Dhanyawadam πŸ˜†