Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Medha.S thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
CHAKRAVYUHS - War formations, special war puzzles(Viyuhs)

About the Chakravyu, I am a little confused as to what the people on this forum understand of Chakravyus.

Chakravyu were puzzle like war formations designed by tacticians of a camp. People studied the formations of these Vyuh- Puzzles, how to design one, how to enter one, how to break them and how to come out of them.

There were the basic war formations- known to every informed warrior who official took the War lessons.
Then there were the Custom made Chakra viyuhs designed by the foremost of the war Tacticians personally for their own use.
In that subhadra-Arjuna scene, there were different designs of Chakravyuhs lying around.

Design of Viyuhs had to do with the Tacticians mind, putting every trick and every small information you have in a specific geometry. It is said that Krishna and Arjuna had a mind of an engineer or an architect(?) i guess.They both were involved in the Architecture and design of Dwarka City and Indraprastha City. To design the Viyuhs, Geometry and war study were used.

Go read the Virata War - Bheeshma Formed a chakravyuh to protect Duryodhana from BRIHNALA(Arjuna).

This was a defensive chakravyuh. All the warriors, bheeshma, Kripa, Ashwatthama, Karna, Drona, Bheeshma were standing in different levels of the chakravyuh with Duryodhan at the centre.

Every formation of these Viyuhs had different number of warriors and gates, and an able commander like Drona or Bheeshma or Arjuna.

2 million soldiers could be used or no soldiers at all could be used too. In simple words, Viyuhswere like mazes. Every level was harder than the level before.

Shrikhandani was shown as the commander of of Drupads chakravyuh.

Sahdevas chakravyuh was extremely small but effective. A one man formation.

There were two types of Chakravyuh - offensive and defensive. Krishna and Arjuna enjoyed breaking Viyuhs.

Guru Dronas chakravyuh was called PADMAVYUH because it was shaped like a lotus. It was an offensive one.

Bheeshma was against Offensive viyuhs because he did not like the idea of a warrior being attacked from every different side. It went against the basic Principles of war. Even in the Kurukshetra war he was against it but he was one out of three people who could be the commander including Dron and Karna. After these three were dead, there are no signs of any war formations.

Karna again never liked Viyuhs,he didnt think it was a good idea to hide yourself in a formation.

Bheeshma formed a Defensive viyuh during the Virata war though. So they could protect the King. But Arjuna broke every level with the last three levels being commanded by Karna, Drona and Bheeshma. He got to Duryodhana.

Kauravas formed many kind of chakravuhs during the war. Multiples war formations.

When they wanted to protect Jayadaratha from Arjuna who had vowed to Kill him, Guru drona formed another  Defensive chakraviyuh which was a combination of many viyuhs like the Sarpaviyuh and soochiviyuh, but alas, Arjuna broke them all and entered inside it with Krishna.

In those days, a successful war formations could be designed and executed with the :-
right knowledge of angles and geometry
he right kind of gates and levels with every level being different and harder from the level before
good warriors who were quick on their feat 
formidable Commander who could instruct under pressure
Absence of Arjuna๐Ÿ˜†

Fun Fact: Abhimanyu crossed 6 levels of Dronas chakraviyuh.

Vr15h thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Since only Krishna, Arjun, Abhimanyu & Pradhyumna knew how to penetrate them, why didn't Dhrishtadyumna make offensive chakravyuhas from day 1, and snatch a daily advantage from the Kauravas?
Medha.S thumbnail
Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Since only Krishna, Arjun, Abhimanyu & Pradhyumna knew how to penetrate them, why didn't Dhrishtadyumna make offensive chakravyuhas from day 1, and snatch a daily advantage from the Kauravas?

Hmm i wonder too ๐Ÿ˜•
But they did need a formidable commander to work a Viyuh, Krishna and Arjuna are out of Question, who was on their side who could be a good commander for a viyuh aside from these two?
Kauravas had all the elders who could be the commanders ... Drona, Bhishma, Kripa? Could Drupad be the commander?

Medha.S thumbnail
Hey, also Drupad actually could do the carbon copy thing, in Bihar , my fathers cousin grandfathers used to tell us the tale of how Duryodhan gets defeated and sent back and then arjuna comes to capture him and drupad uses magic, maya or something to make copies of himself and confuse Arjuna.๐Ÿ˜•
Adr_Rush thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
wow medha ๐Ÿ‘ It sounds really interesting
raj_a_p thumbnail
Originally posted by: medha00

Hats off to you yaar .. you actually read Macbeth ... lord, i cant stand all that dark humor in the same book, too depressing for me yaar ... i have a really wild imagination. Doctors say that i shouldnt indulge too much in horror or generally depressing tales๐Ÿ˜ฒ i could go mad ... lolz

@medha-di, I have also read macbeth and um.. almost all of Shakespearean drama.

Anyways awesome post as usual.
Medha.S thumbnail
Originally posted by: raj_a_p

@medha-di, I have also read macbeth and um.. almost all of Shakespearean drama.

Anyways awesome post as usual.

Padha to maine bhi ... but i am a sucker for happy endings ...
Romeo-Juliet, i left in between some highly traumatic scene .. Julius Caesar was a highly gruesome riot ... i am reading the psychological- supernatural works of Guy De Maupassant.truly disturbing it is, but recommended for readers who can stand the Shakespearean melodramas and an Ocean full of disturbing stuff.  

๐Ÿ˜›Bhai you give so much boost to my ego ... itni taarif kar rahe ho meri writing style ki, i will make sure that you read any book i may or may not author in the future ... 
When you will read a whole book full of my wit and sarcasm ... khoon ke aasoon rougeeey mere bachheeeyy๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜†
raj_a_p thumbnail

Padha to maine bhi ... but i am a sucker for happy endings ...
Romeo-Juliet, i left in between some highly traumatic scene .. Julius Caesar was a highly gruesome riot ... i am reading the psychological- supernatural works of Guy De Maupassant.truly disturbing it is, but recommended for readers who can stand the Shakespearean melodramas and an Ocean full of disturbing stuff.  

๐Ÿ˜›Bhai you give so much boost to my ego ... itni taarif kar rahe ho meri writing style ki, i will make sure that you read any book i may or may not author in the future ... 
When you will read a whole book full of my wit and sarcasm ... khoon ke aasoon rougeeey mere bachheeeyy๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜†

@medha-di, I am giving the due where it is due.

I am done with guy de maupassant. If you truly disturbing pls read supernatural works of w.s. mauhgam and if you want sarcastic and satirist wit wrapped in fantasy, then u shld read Terry Pratchett's work

Btw always ready to read any book that has wit and sarcasm.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

And I am also a chota mota writer. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Edited by raj_a_p - 10 years ago
Medha.S thumbnail
Originally posted by: raj_a_p

@medha-di, I am giving the due where it is due.

I am done with guy de maupassant. If you truly disturbing pls read supernatural works of w.s. mauhgam and if you want sarcastic and satirist wit wrapped in fantasy, then u shld read Terry Pratchett's work

Btw always ready to read any book that has wit and sarcasm.๐Ÿ˜ƒ

And I am also a chota mota writer. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dude Terry Pratchett? ... wow, respect for you.

i have read The color of magic by him ... and A blink of the screen .. truly awesome!!

And we all are chhota motta writer till we become a famous renowned writer na ..
raj_a_p thumbnail

Dude Terry Pratchett? ... wow, respect for you.

i have read The color of magic by him ... and A blink of the screen .. truly awesome!!

And we all are chhota motta writer till we become a famous renowned writer na ..

Thanks๐Ÿ˜Š. Chota mota in the sense, that I have authored only Computer programming related books.. no fiction yet