Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

.kat. thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Very well written piece.

I view dabh as a period piece as if set in some olden times, maybe my grandmas time. Babho cld be my grandma. She was like that, an autocrat who ruled everybody including my grandpa with an iron fist. My moms, time, yes, but not in current india. Maybe dabh reflects some parts of the indian society. but not all. things have changed so much. They r exaggerating too much in dabh. 

As Deepz says marriage is a compromise. But it goes both ways. 

Things r not easy in a joint family. Independence does get curtailed to a large extent. 
b2011 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Nice thought-provoking post and replies.
shruthiravi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for reminding Udaan. Though I dont remember much of it  my mom still compares DABH to Udaan and says DABH falls flat in front of Udaan. My cousins does say Udaan did raise the aspiration level of many of them. Even my dad used to watch Udaan and talks about it.
Earlier shows in DD were of superior content. I dont remember the story much but there was a serial called Samander and another Phir wohi Talash. One beautifully encouraged widow remarriage and other where a married woman takes a mutual divorce from the husband and goes back to her lover and story ends. I feel those were bold themes at that time. These serials happened in early 90s.

This Saas bahu if I remember right started somewhere in 98 with Kyunki Saas bhi kabhi bahu thi and then it went on and on in every language.
If I compare the standard of shows from that time DABH is much better as somehow they are running aspiration levels of Sandhya. But DABH can do a lot to be truly inspirational. It has the potential
Mrs_Ojha thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
So many excellent posts! Thank you so much for voicing your precious opinions here. I wish I could watch the old serials of the 80s and 90s.

I really hope that DABH shows again strong Sandy, the way she was during the terrorist track. Somehow I can't imagine her like that now after 1 year of trying to please Bhabo. She's become so soft, meek and obedient. She must really evolve to a new, strong Sandy-cop :D.
Otherwise the story has no sense for me.
The message of DABH has been so far that a woman can only achieve her dreams when the society/family agrees to it. And what if the family/society never agrees to it even when we know that they are wrong? Then we can only count on our open-minded husband!
It's a very pessimistic conclusion... and there must be so many girls/women out there, who are now perhaps adult and whose dreams were crushed by the family/society. They can now relive those times and emotions while watching DABH.

About Sandy's age - often when I watch Indian soaps I have an impression that girls showed there mature much later than i.e. the girls that I know or they don't mature at all sometimes, shifting from the financial/emotional protection of the parents to the protection of the husband. Perhaps most of young girls can never imagine living on their own and taking their life in their own hands? They seem to be so impotent, always relying on others, never taking their own decisions. And the chauvinism of their husbands... no matter how rude they behave with their wives, the women always cry and succumb to the mistreatment and abuse... It differs so much from the western way of thinking that I find it difficult to understand sometimes.
On the other hand I know many people in my own home-country, even in my own extended family, who have never left the maternal home or live very close by and never take major decisions without parent's approval or help. But this has serious drawbacks and not everyone is fit for this kind of life. I understand the kind of financial comfort, but it's still like living someone else's life and not really your own.

Maybe that's why Sandy is so eager for Bhabo's acceptance - she cannot become independent due to her upbringing, but then - IPS is so demanding and it requires independence, so I find it difficult to believe that Sandy's father, having inspired her to pursue IPS, would fail to make her an independent lady. Such a bold path of career requires in itself some kind of boldness or even aggression from an individual.
Therefore I'm very happy that we are going to see the 11 month training, far from the family - hopefully we're going to see again strong Sandy, her more real, self-confident self that will bloom when far from the family restrictions and fears. I can't wait and put much hope in the CVs 😃.

Edited by Mrs_Ojha - 10 years ago
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Mrs Ojha. Yes that strong Sandhya has to emerge. They have started the process with RW. Sandhya was married to Sooraj by her brother doing EA and then went on become a docile bahu to protect the sanskaar of the parents. Somewhere along the line she fell in love with her husband. But more than having a married life it is his family that she feels binded to. It is the family that is giving her the feeling of security. As long as Bhabo didnt show any affection to her she was fine, but in Singapore track Bhabo showed some affection to that orphan girl and considering her age she fell for it.
Hence she tried to do everything in the book to please Bhabo for that craving called love. Tried to be an ideal bahu, tried to consummate her marriage, tried to sacrifice her dream. If we look Sandhya she took all decisions keeping Bhabo in perspective and not Sooraj. She was not mature enough to be a wife, but her craving for motherly love she tried to be a wife as to be in that family she needed to be Sooraj's wife.

In RW what is happening is that keeping aside everything Sandhya is choosing Sooraj( that is the whole symbolism of RW). By that I mean she had fallen in love with Sooraj and she is deciding to be his wife on her own. It is not Sandhya Kothari who was forced into a marriage. It is Sandhya Kothari we can say who has finally decided that she is madly in love with Sooraj for what he is than his qualifications or whatever. This is the Sandhya who wants to be a wife to Sooraj. This is her free will decision. She is accepting Sooraj as her husband.
I hope they take the story maturely from this point as Sandhya blossoming into a woman who is able to manage both her career and family with her spouse's able support.
pamela01 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I agree with you.
I am not Indian or Asian but I watch Indian soaps, It is about a year now since I started watching indian soaps and I notice that the DIL are controlled by the MIL.

Women have to give up their dreams and profession once they are married and become an unpaid servant to their in laws.  Some are physically and mentally tortured.  I only stating this due to what I have seen in some of the indian soaps.

The groom quite often marries for dowry rather than love or are forced to marry  by their parents
.Ami. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
It's high time for Indian telly Producers/CVs start taking into considerations mood of global audiences. It really sends out wrong message about Indian society.😒.

I humbly request to those who're unaware of Indian culture don't make up their mindset anything bad about Indian MILs on the basis whatever they show it in dramas. I'm blessed with really good MIL who take care of me more than my mother and considered me as her own daughter. India has very rich heritage culture and you'll only come to know about/experience it if you meet someone who has real knowledge about it.
shruthiravi thumbnail
@Ami you are lucky to have a good MIL, so am I. I also have an non interfering MIL.But believe me there are enough people like Bhabo in this generation also.
I have friends who has suffered in marriage and are continuing in marriage for the sake of kids etc..
One of my friend struggled in her in laws house as she was not allowed to enter kitchen so that she can prepare what she wants to take for lunch to office and was forced to eat whatever her MIL prepared. She was not allowed to even take care of her husband's things as her MIL still controlled her son. She struggled with a little daughter as the MIL was indifferent to her working and at a very young age the baby was sent to day care. It was like either you be a housewife or find your own means. Her husband's support was and covert to a large part and it was only after the birth of their 2nd son they moved out. She suffered every agony atleast for 5 years.

Then comes another friend whose in laws were not educated. They were superstitous. When she was carrying they will not take her to doctor on the prescribed day. They will tell bad day, bad time etc.. and when she had cough was not given proper medicines and her child too suffered a lot after birth. She got a place in the family after 2 of the brother in laws had girl child and she was the only one having boy child. It is an irony but discrimination on the gender etc.. are part of society and I have seen it in multiple forms. So just dont right off DABH as such and think Indian society has changed a lot. Yes it has changed. There are more oppurtunities, but still marriage is a roadblock.
Even with no major setbacks there are enough talented friends of mine who has given upon on career because they felt they were not getting enough support from their spouse. I mean the spouse is generally not bad but he would prefer them to manage house first.

It was one of the key reasons before my marriage I made it very clear to my would be that I need a career and I would expect him to support me so that there are no issues later on this matter. And my career is continuing because of my spouse's support as I need a career as well as a good marriage.

So dont dismiss DABH as such. India is still regressive and for the shows they need to fight this regressiveness head on. In that perspective DABH has still a long way to go.
Edited by shruthiravi - 10 years ago
.Ami. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
@Shrutiravi:- That's what exactly my point : Not all MILs are same.DABH has a long way to go. I know Indian society is full of Bhabhos in fact Bhabho is much better than some of the MIL's  I've seen. What I want to see a stronger message. Bhabho feeling bad that had she been like Sandhya educated and working Suraj wouldn't have to leave his studies and support the family; Similarly showing Sandhya not bowing down every time and complete makeover of Ems.  Regressive thinking needs to see progressive change then only we can see a better tomorrow.😃.

Not all Indian dramas showing completely cruel and control freak MIL like Bhabho. Look @ dramas like : Meri Bhabhi, Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata hain -- They're showing more matured and open-minded side of MIL which is close to reality and I'm able to connect myself.😳.

I just wanna say don't undermine Indian culture on the basis of what you watch in the dramas. Come here, experience yourself then reach up to any conclusion. Every culture has its own pros and cons. I even say don't trust/believe whatever I've wrote here because India occupies 1/4 or 1/6 population in the world so lots of varieties exist.😊.

I apologized to ruffle feathers. Not at all intended to hurt sentiments of an ardent followers of DABH.🤔.
shruthiravi thumbnail
yaa Ami. That is needed. They should not justify Bhabo. Bhabo should be shown repenting. Till now Bhabo has no repentance. I mean the genuine. She once in a while has a guilt walk and then back to square one. Also Sandhya as Katputli in Bhabo's hand is not acceptable.
They have to show the character growth of Sooraj and Sandhya whereas they respect Bhabo but then Bhabo needs to know where to put the limit and slowly she needs to recognize her theories wrong and the audience also needs to feel that Bhabo has changed for better.

I also watch Meri Bhabi. The MIL there is quite good. I do love Amritha's -Kittu's beautiful relationship. But you need to understand the heroine of the show is Shradda and again if they are proceeding with Kunal-Shradda marriage we are back to sqaure one as Kamini is a perfect stereotype saas. yeh rishta no clue as I dont watch it.

In DABH also we had a good saas. Sandhya's mother was a good saas to Ankitha. She treated her with a lot of open mindedness. In teleserials what I have found is they always make the heroine's saas a stereotype bad one. Its time they showed up a good MIL-DIL relationship for the heroine of the show. She can be shown fighting the challenges in society than fighting her MIL for a change 😃