The famous Jehangiri Insaaf....Jehangir orders his own death P4

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 10 years ago
Part1   Horse demands Justice from emperor Jehangir

Here is a famous story of Jehangir dispensing justice from his "Chain of Justice"

Mughal Emperor Jahangir, who was fond of dispensing justice to his subjects, ordered a huge bell to be hung up in his palace. The emperor appointed Qazis, the ablest of his judges in all cities of his empire. He had made it known throughout his kingdom that when anyone needed justice that demanded his personal attention, all they had to do was come up to the bell and pull the rope at any hour of the day in his palace or any other locations. Instantly a judge would make his appearance and hear the matter between the disputing parties. If they felt that justice had not been served to the fullest, they had to ring the bell to summon the emperor at his palace or wherever he had camped at that time.

All went well for a number of days, and there was hardly a complaint that needed to be resolved by the emperor. However, in the course of time the bell rope, which had withstood rain and sunshine for several seasons, got worn out at Delhi market place. One day it broke and bell fell with a loud thud. Someone who saw the bell falling down, brought some dry straw, twisted it into a rope and restored the bell at its place.

Now, it so happened, that the bell was rung violently on a hot afternoon. The citizens of Delhi who had not heard the bell rung for a long time were surprised and immediately made their way to the marketplace. A judge who had his house close to the place too rushed out and made his way through the excited crowd and demanded: "Who has rung the bell?" Everyone pointed his finger at a large, gaunt, half-starved horse, whose bones could be seen clearly through its skin in many places, totally unconcerned to the tumult that he had caused, happily munching at the dry straw hoping to make a meal out of it. He had rung the bell by tugging at the straw.

Who is the owner of this wretched animal?" was the judge's next question, and an old man standing in the crowd said: " Sir, it belonged to the Commander-in-Chief of the emperor's army. He was once a fine horse of the purest Arab steed, which the emperor has personally presented to him for proving his gallantry in the battlefield. The Commander of the emperor's army would ride on him proudly, but he has now become too old and feeble to be of much use, and his master has turned him out of the house so that he gets his food from wherever he can. He saw the straw that was dangling at the end of the rope, and in trying to eat it the poor horse had rung the bell of justice.

And justice shall he have!" the judge announced. He ordered the commander and the Emperor to be brought to the market place. Jehangir was in Delhi palace at that time. Without much delay the Commander of the Emperor's army and the Emperor Jahangir arrived at the scene. The judge explained to the emperor the extraordinary situation, which compelled him to seek the presence of his Royal Personage.

The Emperor was full of rage when he heard the complete story. He turned to his Commander and asked him whether the charges that were leveled against him were true? The Commander nodded his head in acknowledgement. At this, the Emperor rebuked him sharply: "Are you not ashamed to allow your faithful servant to get into this condition after years of service. He did you good service while he could, the least you can do is give him shelter in some corner of your stable and provide him enough to eat", the Emperor thundered. He warned him of stripping him of his rank and military honours, if the orders were not complied with. The commander bowed his head and promised that he would never let the horse wander in the city and would feed him properly.

Thus the old feeble horse got justice

Jehangir truly loves animals as demonstrated in this story that he came running to Delhi market to solve issue. 😆 Like father Like son case for animal love

Note: This incident mentioned are as per mughal court records and may not be available in compiled books

Edited by myviewprem - 10 years ago
WOW...JAHANGIR WAS MUCH LIKE AKBAR IN TERMS OF JUSTICE!!!!!! HE WAS A JUST KING...JUST LYK HIS FATHER!!! LOVED IT...TFS!!!!😉😳
Interesting Article. TFS.  Keep Posting..👏
Part2 The famous Jehangiri justice...Jehangir punishes his son

In olden times if someone gave correct justice without bias it was phrased as Jehangiri justice. How did this phrase actually arrive? Below is the story.

Jehangir was known to be a justice lover and did not differentiate between family and commoners in giving same justice. Here is another of his famous Jehangiri justice meted to his son Khusrau

One day Jahangir received a serious complaint against his eldest son Khusrau. Khusrau had very happily and proudly ridden his elephant from the palace to a particular place in the kingdom. Along the way, the prince had seen the wife of a low-class man and he had thrown a piece of betel-nut at her in a very offensive way. When the husband came to know that his wife had been insulted by the prince, he went to Jahangir's court and lodged a formal complaint.

Jahangir became furious and made enquiries to find out if what the man had said was true. After some investigation, he learned that the story was correct. Jahangir immediately ordered that the low-class man should ride on the prince's own elephant from the palace to the same place where the prince had gone. Khusrau's wife(who was Khan e kanha Rahim's daughter) would stand at the same spot where the man's wife had been standing. Then, when the low-class man passed by, he would throw a piece of betel-nut at the princess.

"This will be the only adequate compensation," the Emperor said.

The Emperor's decision was not at all popular. People asked, "How can the Emperor do this? She is the princess and this man is just a low-class person. They are not at all equal, so how can the punishment be equal? Plus, it will be so humiliating for the princess to endure this insult." Ministers and nobels tried to change Jehangir's decision.

Jahangir replied, "No, my son has to learn that he cannot do this kind of thing. My order is my order. You have to execute it. Otherwise, both my son and his wife will be even more severely punished."

Jehangir ordered the elephant to be brought near Agra fort gate so that justice can be carried out. The low class man was nervous he did not know the emperor will really follow justice to the T. The elephant was brought and Jehangir ordered the man to climb it and proceed to the spot. Everyone proceeded to the gate to view this justice. Jehangir ordered the low class man to climb the prince's elephant.   

The low-class man ran out of the palace, crying, "I do not want them to be humiliated and I do not want them to be punished. I forgive your son your highness".

Then Jahangir said, "Since he has forgiven my son, I have nothing to say." The Emperor turned to his son and told him, "He has forgiven you, my son. That is the only reason why I am forgiving you

From that day the people of agra gave him the title "Adil Padshah".  
It was common knowledge at agra that if the golden bells of agra fort were rung any day the nobels and ministers would shiver and get nervous that someone had come to complain and whether they were the accused.

PART3: Jehangir orders death to his step son

Jehangir was famous all over the world for his impartial justice which did not care for position of accused wether kin or rich or his own nobels and ministers. Jehangir did not care if the person who had preperated crime was his once favourite person. Even Shah Jahan his favourite son was known to tremble if someone complained against him and Jehangir summoned him to enquiry the lesser said about others. Here is another instance of Jehangir's insaaf. Seis Alla's execution remains a monumental step in his fair justice that made him famous as "Adil Padshah".

Seis Alla was the son of Nur Jahan's sister and his father was Ibrahim was the Subedhar of Bengal. Nur Jahan who did not have sons from either Sher Afghan or Jehangir her two husbands adopted him and brought him up in court. Jehangir too loved him a lot and treated him like an own son even allowing him to seat on his throne at Durbar as a boy. When he became big he was appointed the Subedar of Burdwan. Seis Alla ruled very well for a few years

One day Seis Alla was travelling on his elephant when for his misfortune his elephant trampled a child to death. His parents were distraught and followed the Subedhar Seis Alla and demanded justice to the driver of his elephant. Seis Alla rejected punishing his elephant driver. But the parents were angry and abused him badly hence Seis Alla was furious and expellede the parents from his Suba Burdwan.

The parents would not give up and travelled long distance from Burdwan to Lahore where Jehangir was residing that year and pulled chain of justice. Jehangir listened to them and wrote a letter to Seis Alla in his own hands to restore the parents of their property and immediately give them justice. He even reimbursed them for the long trip to and fro from Lahore to Burdawan.

The parents presented the letter to Seis Alla. Seis Alla was furious as his pride was hurt and threw both parents in prison. After they were relaesed again the parents travelled to Lahore. Seis Alla got to know of this and wrote letter to his aunty and Asaf Khan her brother to not allow this parents in Jehangir's presence at any cost. Nur Jahan odrdered the palace gaurds to watch them and not allow them anywhere near emperor in palace or outside. The parents were determined to get justice and stayed back in lahore waiting for an opportunity. After many months one day they got an opportunity.

One day Jehangir decided to swim in river near Lahore fort. A huge crowd had gathered just to watch their emperor in dusk enjoying his swim in the river. The parents somehow jostled in crowd but were stopped by gaurds from going near to hearing distance of emperor. The parents called out to jehangir thrice. Jehangir who was enjoying his swim heard the last call and turned to see who had called him. The soldiers had no option but to allow them near to the shore. Jehangir recalled meeting the parents few years back. The emperor climbed on his boat and told the rower to row towards the shore.

The parents told their harrowing tale to him on the shore. Jehangir immediately ordered Seis Alla to come to Lahore. The parents were allowed to stay in one of Jehangir's palace till he dispensed justice. Seis Alla had no idea what had happened and arrived after a few weeks and set up camp on opposite side of river at Lahore fort and messaged Jehangir requesting to meet him.

The next early morning Jehangir ordered his elephants to be ready and went to other side of the river with the child's parents. Seis Alla who was still asleep in his camp as it was yet to be dawn was ordered to be bound by Jehangir. Seis Alla was surprised at this. Jehangir read out the charges against him and gave accounts of witnesses he had procured. Seis Alla agreed to his mistakes and Jehangir told him the law a life for a life. The parents did not want any money they wanted justice.

Seis Alla was but a young man was scared but did not speak anything against the emperor. Jehangir ordered him to lie down in path of the elephant for the punishment and he did so as ordered by his father. The child's parents were mounted on the royal elephant. Jehangir odered the mahout to tread on Seis Alla and kill him to death. The mahout was scared of Nur Jahan's wrath and every time allowed the elephant to step over Seis Alla. After a few times Jehangir was furious and threatened the driver to carry out his orders fast. Finally the mahout guided the elephant to tread over Seis Alla the adopted son of Jehangir and Nur Jahan. Seis Alla breathed his last.  

Jehangir was numb with grief as he saw his foster son die in front of his eyes and went away in silence. He ordered state mourning for a month and ordered a grand masoulem and held a funeral procession worthy of a emperor's son for Seis Alla.

Jehangir told in court "I loved him but justice like necessity should blind monarch. A monarch has no relation when he dispenses justice".

Jehangir loved Seis Alla like his own son and brought him up lovingly just the way Akbar brought up Bairam Khan's son Abdul Rahim Khan-e-khana

TFS...
like father...like son... ❤️
This Nur Jahan looks like worst replica of MA...
Originally posted by J2lover

WOW...JAHANGIR WAS MUCH LIKE AKBAR IN TERMS OF JUSTICE!!!!!! HE WAS A JUST KING...JUST LYK HIS FATHER!!! LOVED IT...TFS!!!!😉😳

Not really if Akbar was like Jehangir, Salim would not be alive after rebellion against the throne LOL

Lucky Salim that his father was not as strict as him else he would not live to dispense such judgments.

But if you think Akbar was quiet lienent to his relatives he forgave so many so many times for murder attempts and rebellions. Akbar was soft hearted but Jehangir followed law to T except when it came to Nur Jahan his favourite wife and Khurram his favourite son
PART4: Jehangir orders his own death

Although in later parts of his life Jehangir gave the reigns of his empire to Nur Jahan the initial 7-8 years that he ruled he was known for his fair and just decisions and upholding the rule of law under grave personal loss.

One day a woman came and started ringing the "Bell of justice" vigurously. Jehangir who was conducting "Diwan-e-am" ordered a soldier to see who the person was and get him/her inside. The woman came in front of the emperor wailing and sobbing uncontrollably. Jehangir asked her what had happened?

The woman said her husband was killed by a gun shot. Jehangir wondered who could use a gun in agra and asked her the details. The woman said her husband was walking along the Yamuna river near agra fort when a bullet pierced him and he died of its wounds. Jehangir ordered his minister and soldiers to find out who was using the gun in the agra fort.

The minister left to investigate and came back with the queen Nur Jahan with a gun. Nur Jahan admitted that she was shooting piegons when accidentally she shot a man. Jehangir ordered that he will decide tommorow quantum of punishment and till then Nur Jahan should be placed in prison. The entire agra was shocked what decision Jehangir will give his favourite wife the queen.

Next day the Diwan-e-am gathered. Nur Jahan was brought to the court. Jehangir ordered a soldier to get a gun and give it to the woman. Jehangir stepped down from his throne and stood in front of the woman and said "As per mughal law a life for a life is the norm. Since my wife the empress made you a widow as per mughal law you can make her a widow. So take the gun and shoot me."

The woman was shocked beyond wits. The ministers and nobels too were shell shocked. The woman replied "Sir, you are the emperor. How can i shoot you?".

The ministers and nobels also started arguing with him to let go off the decision. Jehangir was adamant that rule was rule. He told the woman to follow his orders and not be scared of any retribution later. He also ordered that no one can take any action on that woman for the justice he had ordered her to follow later on.

Finally the woman said "Your highness, I just wanted justce for my husband's death as i am all alone and no one to take care of me. I never want the death of my emperor".

Nur Jahan immediately told "I adopt this woman and she shall stay with me in my palace if you permit your highness" 

The ministers and nobels argued Jehangir to let go off the matter.

Jehangir asked the woman if she was fine with staying in agra fort. She readily agreed and forgave Nur Jahan for killing her husband and asked Jehangir to withdraw his earlier order. Finally Jehangir relented and the people in Diwan e am and those standing outside agra fort felt relieved and returned to their normal routine.

Later on Nur Jahan and Jehangir adopted the woman and she became one of their foster daughters.

thanks for sharing intresting facts