Qubool Hai

India-Forums

Qubool Hai
Qubool Hai

The Yummy Mummy's of QH: Topic Six 01.07.14 - Pg 82 (Page 63)

Tamara27 IF-Rockerz
Tamara27
Tamara27

Posted: 03 June 2014 at 4:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Perfectionist2

TamaraAngry

Get off this thread and write that bloody update woman.LOL

Jeez Louise!
I'm writing, I'm writing!
But this thread is so damn compelling today. And Farz is making me literally LOL :)

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Perfectionist2farz_parachuteraneebLinsie

farz_parachute IF-Rockerz
farz_parachute
farz_parachute

Posted: 03 June 2014 at 4:23am | IP Logged
Finer details?

Finer details.

What detail?

My brother is home for few days. He said my superpower is the ability to annoy people.

I think my superpower is to charm people.

For few days I've been getting one and a half cup of tea in the evening. Just now. There was only a quarter cup.

Why do mothers favour their son over their daughters?

Papa loves my sister most.

I wish I'm jealous. But am really not. I'm number two on both list. That's quite a feat. (Sis Saima quit smiling)

My mother (and father) in law better keep me in top 3.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

vinita459Saima-SyedraneebLinsie

rajsmi Goldie
rajsmi
rajsmi

Posted: 03 June 2014 at 4:31am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Tamara27

Originally posted by rajsmi

Wow!! This topic has def stirred every married woman's heart :-) Oh those MILs...
I thought I would be the only liberal gal here but it seems like there are quite a few strong, broadminded ones and it is really great to see that. I am 50 so I find very few in that age group.

I live in the US though brought up in India (Mumbai, Goa,Gujarat,Kerala) so I have seen different Indians and I spent 10 years of my 25 year marriage in Dubai with the rest here in the US. So, I guess I have seen a mixed bag in India, more secular in the Middle East and liberal in the US. I married my college sweetheart who is a Hindu like me but I am a Brahmin and he is way down the line, as folks say.

What I have realized in my 50 years of life is that most of the major issues in this world have started and are still ongoing, for more than 1000 years in the name of religion. Every religion has it's hierarchy system (defined or undefined) and between religions, there is a clash of which is the superior one. Be it in a broad circle or in the confines of one's family, religion is a prominent issue most of the time.

Take the "religion" out of mankind and we would be in a much better world, don't you think? We would like people for who they are, marry a person who we would be happy with, work for the betterment of mankind and not for religious institutions who tend to enforce laws to abide by and so forth...

And, over and above the religions, we have wealth and status to segregate us too! Isn't it all too much for this little world we live in?

I grew up with a very religious mother who goes to temples every so often, prays for hours on end daily. On the other hand, my agnostic dad was more of a Gandhian in his ways with no touch with material things...So, I am a skeptic :-) Hubby and kids are atheists and believe in science and that's all there is.

Culture- what is culture? If celebrating festivals is culture then I do not do that like normal people. I don't rush to make high fat and sugar sweets for Diwali and other Hindu festivals in the name of God to only feed our bodies and ruin it. The rate of diabetes has gone so high in India that people talk of it just like having a mild digestive issue. Isn't that scary?

I like talk to my boys about festivals as a time to bond with family, sit together and do things we love. I don't believe in doing pooja annually for my dad's death anniversary. Instead, we give food to the food bank. I tell my kids that being a Hindu and being Indian means we treat people with respect, whoever they may be and we help anyone we can but not at the cost of our own family. That has to be priority otherwise one can ruin one's life if we go to the extreme in helping others.

Raising the kids to be good human beings and being good role models ourselves is all I strive for and if I see that I have done a good job, then I have done absolute justice to my culture. I may look different from my neighbor but we can embrace each other and look beyond the superficial issues that seem to bother us :-(

Guess I have ranted enough...time for another topic, I guess! 

You are FABULOUS!  

I simply love your outlook and they way you've woven your culture into your boy's lives without any kind of indoctrination.

Your broad outlook and open-mindedness is indeed inspiring!

You've certainly done justice to your culture by raising your boys the way you have. I am not saying it's right or wrong - but it is the way I aspire to be with my son. 

Great job, and I love love LOVE your comment Hug

Thanks but being like this has its cons... My mom never understands why I dont wear jewelry which is another one of those things to measure people...why I am the way I am! I collect a few enemies along as I am pretty vocal at times when people go overboard for God but totally disregard a poor destitute! Anyway, loved all the comments and enjoyed reading about everyone's lives!

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

vinita459Perfectionist2farz_parachuteTamara27ChocoBerrySaima-SyedraneebLinsie

Tamara27 IF-Rockerz
Tamara27
Tamara27

Posted: 03 June 2014 at 4:44am | IP Logged

Wow!! This topic has def stirred every married woman's heart :-) Oh those MILs...
I thought I would be the only liberal gal here but it seems like there are quite a few strong, broadminded ones and it is really great to see that. I am 50 so I find very few in that age group.

I live in the US though brought up in India (Mumbai, Goa,Gujarat,Kerala) so I have seen different Indians and I spent 10 years of my 25 year marriage in Dubai with the rest here in the US. So, I guess I have seen a mixed bag in India, more secular in the Middle East and liberal in the US. I married my college sweetheart who is a Hindu like me but I am a Brahmin and he is way down the line, as folks say.

What I have realized in my 50 years of life is that most of the major issues in this world have started and are still ongoing, for more than 1000 years in the name of religion. Every religion has it's hierarchy system (defined or undefined) and between religions, there is a clash of which is the superior one. Be it in a broad circle or in the confines of one's family, religion is a prominent issue most of the time.

Take the "religion" out of mankind and we would be in a much better world, don't you think? We would like people for who they are, marry a person who we would be happy with, work for the betterment of mankind and not for religious institutions who tend to enforce laws to abide by and so forth...

And, over and above the religions, we have wealth and status to segregate us too! Isn't it all too much for this little world we live in?

I grew up with a very religious mother who goes to temples every so often, prays for hours on end daily. On the other hand, my agnostic dad was more of a Gandhian in his ways with no touch with material things...So, I am a skeptic :-) Hubby and kids are atheists and believe in science and that's all there is.

Culture- what is culture? If celebrating festivals is culture then I do not do that like normal people. I don't rush to make high fat and sugar sweets for Diwali and other Hindu festivals in the name of God to only feed our bodies and ruin it. The rate of diabetes has gone so high in India that people talk of it just like having a mild digestive issue. Isn't that scary?

I like talk to my boys about festivals as a time to bond with family, sit together and do things we love. I don't believe in doing pooja annually for my dad's death anniversary. Instead, we give food to the food bank. I tell my kids that being a Hindu and being Indian means we treat people with respect, whoever they may be and we help anyone we can but not at the cost of our own family. That has to be priority otherwise one can ruin one's life if we go to the extreme in helping others.

Raising the kids to be good human beings and being good role models ourselves is all I strive for and if I see that I have done a good job, then I have done absolute justice to my culture. I may look different from my neighbor but we can embrace each other and look beyond the superficial issues that seem to bother us :-(

You are FABULOUS!  

I simply love your outlook and they way you've woven your culture into your boy's lives without any kind of indoctrination.

You've certainly done justice to your culture by raising your boys the way you have. I am not saying it's right or wrong - but it is the way I aspire to be with my son. 

Thanks but being like this has its cons... My mom never understands why I dont wear jewelry which is another one of those things to measure people...why I am the way I am! I collect a few enemies along as I am pretty vocal at times when people go overboard for God but totally disregard a poor destitute! Anyway, loved all the comments and enjoyed reading about everyone's lives!

Of course it does - I so get you!
But life like this is a lot more fun, don't you think?

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

vinita459rajsmiPerfectionist2farz_parachuteSaima-SyedraneebLinsie

farz_parachute
farz_parachute

Posted: 03 June 2014 at 4:56am | IP Logged
I know! Poor destitute!

What do we do with such people.

God didn't ask you to tell people off if they want to listen to you preach. You be nice.

Put off I am.

Preachers. If only you know people don't want your version of a religion.

But.

But but but!

I like high fats and sugary sweets. I mean...we only get them during festivals! And it's a holiday. Some indulgence toh banta hai.

No?
Fine!

These days everybody wanna be friends with my alter ego. Mera koi nahin hai yahan. Farz. Fatz. Tsk.

Imma go to one corner and think of all the fats I've eaten. And smile at the ones I'll have later for dinner. While watching Revenge! (I checked, yippee)

vinita459rajsmiyum_immyTamara27Saima-SyedraneebLinsie

yum_immy IF-Dazzler
yum_immy
yum_immy

Posted: 03 June 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged
Well Di at this topic I can't say anything I am speechless
I guess bcuz I have never gone through this kind of situation.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

vinita459ChocoBerrySaima-SyedraneebLinsie

rajsmi Goldie
rajsmi
rajsmi

Posted: 03 June 2014 at 6:17am | IP Logged

You are FABULOUS!  

Absolutely!! Wouldn't change a thing! :-)

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

vinita459Tamara27Saima-SyedraneebLinsie

farz_parachute
farz_parachute

Posted: 03 June 2014 at 6:45am | IP Logged
I don't want to get married.

But then.

I need to make some mutants. Cannot waste these genes.

I hope they are sure of their heritage and culture.

And don't need to rant/vent out on some God awesome thread on some forum.

Nice meeting you all, ladies.

vinita459rajsmiyum_immyTamara27Saima-SyedraneebLinsie

Go to top