Qubool Hai

India-Forums

Qubool Hai
Qubool Hai

The Yummy Mummy's of QH: Topic Six 01.07.14 - Pg 82 (Page 59)

vinita459 Goldie
vinita459
vinita459

Posted: 02 June 2014 at 1:54pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -StarsLinedUp-

Originally posted by Divya.S.R

Mine just gives look of being nice.. My friend here in US met my MIL when I was over at Ohio(brothers place for his wedding prep) and asked me why I used to crib about her when she is such a pleasant soul.. but I had invited them(her and her husband) after returning from the wedding for dinner, That time she saw my MIL and the way interacts with me and realized what I used to say was the truth..

My cousin brothers wives used to praise about my MIL to my mom saying they weren't as lucky as me.. My mom used to think what they would say if they realize how I was being treated..

This is what I hate about our culture.. the way everyone says only the girls should adjust with their in-laws and all that shit load of crap...Angry

sorry about my language..LOL

</div>
See that's the difference between culture and heritage...heritage represents us as a united front in of the world..I am indian..Iam Indian American..Indo Canadian..etc etc..but culture...its more society based...and it evolves with every generation..I see it as a positive thing..merging cultures and heritages...the next generation will be a lot less pigeon holed...and will be more accepting of people from different walks of life...As of now..older generations..hide their flaws behind their culture and cultural beliefs...I am as such cos thats how the culture is..thats the excuse u get on many ocassions... Do this dont do this...this is not the right way...who cares...if u fly on thursday or not...LOLthese cultural barriers are better left aside for the coming generations..let them make a new culture where they can be more open minded and easy going...in acceptance...and more cautious and smart in the decisions they make...
<div>

Okay now that we are taking out frustration...let me tell you an incident that happened with me after marriage LOL.

I always tie a red thread on my wrist. You know the religious one..

After our marriage my MIL asked me to remove it. In fact she tried to remove it herself.

I told her and my hubby...I am not removing it...no matter what. My husband supported me ...she finally backed off. But so much tension was created... I wanted to cry. She accused me of stealing her son. And I will learn my lesson when my own son will growl up and do this to me.

Trust me...I was like ...what have I got my self into.:(

These are only few examples :(

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Divya.S.R-StarsLinedUp-GoodGoneWrongraneebLinsie

Divya.S.R IF-Dazzler
Divya.S.R
Divya.S.R

Posted: 02 June 2014 at 2:02pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by vinita459

Mine just gives look of being nice.. My friend here in US met my MIL when I was over at Ohio(brothers place for his wedding prep) and asked me why I used to crib about her when she is such a pleasant soul.. but I had invited them(her and her husband) after returning from the wedding for dinner, That time she saw my MIL and the way interacts with me and realized what I used to say was the truth..

My cousin brothers wives used to praise about my MIL to my mom saying they weren't as lucky as me.. My mom used to think what they would say if they realize how I was being treated..

This is what I hate about our culture.. the way everyone says only the girls should adjust with their in-laws and all that shit load of crap...Angry

</div>
See that's the difference between culture and heritage...heritage represents us as a united front in of the world..I am indian..Iam Indian American..Indo Canadian..etc etc..but culture...its more society based...and it evolves with every generation..I see it as a positive thing..merging cultures and heritages...the next generation will be a lot less pigeon holed...and will be more accepting of people from different walks of life...As of now..older generations..hide their flaws behind their culture and cultural beliefs...I am as such cos thats how the culture is..thats the excuse u get on many ocassions... Do this dont do this...this is not the right way...who cares...if u fly on thursday or not...LOLthese cultural barriers are better left aside for the coming generations..let them make a new culture where they can be more open minded and easy going...in acceptance...and more cautious and smart in the decisions they make...
<div>

Okay now that we are taking out frustration...let me tell you an incident that happened with me after marriage LOL.

After our marriage my MIL asked me to remove it. In fact she tried to remove it herself.

I told her and my hubby...I am not removing it...no matter what. My husband supported me ...she finally backed off. But so much tension was created... I wanted to cry. She accused me of stealing her son. And I will learn my lesson when my own son will growl up and do this to me.

I swear it.. these MIL's..Angry
Let me tell you one incident this was within 3 months of marriage... the house maid was cleaning our room(the only place I somewhat had rights to)... she had totally missed half the space near the desk intentionally.. When I mentioned that to her.. My MIL sprang in and started screaming at me for asking her maid to clean properly.. Thankfully my hubby was working from home that day.. He heard the commotion, came and started reprimanding his mother for screaming at me in front of the maid and also asked her what was wrong in what I had told the maid... 

I had never felt so insulted in my life.. And also had felt like crying because I had never been scolded by my parents or brother as I was treated like princess in my family... Cry

Edited by Divya.S.R - 02 June 2014 at 1:59pm

vinita459-StarsLinedUp-GoodGoneWrongraneebLinsie

-StarsLinedUp- IF-Dazzler
-StarsLinedUp-
-StarsLinedUp-

Posted: 02 June 2014 at 2:03pm | IP Logged

</div>
<div>

O boy...why dont u give ur MIL a piece of ur mind...she needs to back off a little..and u should teach ur kids bout ur religion and culture for sure...such incidents happen...mine was cos I was not used to putting dark lipsticks and heavy makeup and jewellery...like many Indian ladies do..
on my shagun/roka..watever u wanna call it...I was told in front of the family how I looked plain...even when I had makeup on..after marriage...Punjabi brides wear certain colors...dress a certain way..etc etc..why dont u..u should dress up...I am like i am not a punjabi..and I dont want to be..I am a gujarati..and we dont do all this...that ticked her off...but my husband supported me...
but she didnt back off...1 week after I got married...she insulted me...my dressing sense...my hairstlye and my makeup in front of atleast 20-30 women...its was my hubb'y cousins cocktail party...that broke my heart beyond repair..and closed my door towards her...till date..even though she calls me her daughter I dont call her mom..its just doesnt come on my tongue...she hurt me on the basis of culture and traditions..and pushed me to be something that I am not..and she lost any chances of a relationship with me

Edited by -StarsLinedUp- - 02 June 2014 at 2:01pm

vinita459Divya.S.RTamara27raneebLinsie

Tamara27 IF-Rockerz
Tamara27
Tamara27

Posted: 02 June 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged

</div>
<div>

Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  You have boys, right, Vinita?

We can't change the past, but our children are our chance to change the world. You live in  the US? Then chances are, your sons will most probably marry American girls - nothing wrong with that. You are armed with the knowledge of how to be a great MIL - just don't be what your MIL is to you ;)

Your chance to change things will come in time. Chances are, you're never going to change your MIL's behaviour, but you can feel smug knowing that you will never be that kind of MIL.

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

vinita459Divya.S.R-StarsLinedUp-GoodGoneWrongraneebLinsie

Divya.S.R IF-Dazzler
Divya.S.R
Divya.S.R

Posted: 02 June 2014 at 2:11pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Tamara27

</div>
<div>

Well, that's the thing, isn't it?  You have boys, right, Vinita?

We can't change the past, but our children are our chance to change the world. You live in  the US? Then chances are, your sons will most probably marry American girls - nothing wrong with that. You are armed with the knowledge of how to be a great MIL - just don't be what your MIL is to you ;)

Your chance to change things will come in time. Chances are, you're never going to change your MIL's behaviour, but you can feel smug knowing that you will never be that kind of MIL.

That's correct.. Past is out of our hands... but the future still is in our hands...
Everytime my MIL does something I feel is wrong.. I keep reminding myself That I would never be so... 

My mom keeps telling me now my MIL has the chance to trouble me but sooner or later there will a time when she will sit and repent for all that, that she has done..

You totally correct.. I know ranting away about these problems are not gonna lead to a solution, as those things cannot be changed now.. 

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

vinita459-StarsLinedUp-Tamara27Linsie

Tamara27 IF-Rockerz
Tamara27
Tamara27

Posted: 02 June 2014 at 2:14pm | IP Logged

</div>
<div>

O boy...why dont u give ur MIL a piece of ur mind...she needs to back off a little..and u should teach ur kids bout ur religion and culture for sure...such incidents happen...mine was cos I was not used to putting dark lipsticks and heavy makeup and jewellery...like many Indian ladies do..
on my shagun/roka..watever u wanna call it...I was told in front of the family how I looked plain...even when I had makeup on..after marriage...Punjabi brides wear certain colors...dress a certain way..etc etc..why dont u..u should dress up...I am like i am not a punjabi..and I dont want to be..I am a gujarati..and we dont do all this...that ticked her off...but my husband supported me...
but she didnt back off...1 week after I got married...she insulted me...my dressing sense...my hairstlye and my makeup in front of atleast 20-30 women...its was my hubb'y cousins cocktail party...that broke my heart beyond repair..and closed my door towards her...till date..even though she calls me her daughter I dont call her mom..its just doesnt come on my tongue...she hurt me on the basis of culture and traditions..and pushed me to be something that I am not..and she lost any chances of a relationship with me

This is understandable of you... but still so unbelievable of her!

I honestly get shocked when I hear things like this because I am as close to my MIL as I am to my mom. In fact, we're so alike that we often tease my hubby, saying he married his mother! 

But I know this happens a lot, especially within the indian community.  It's really sad, but we are the generation that will change it, provided we don't allow and promote segregation amongst culture and religions.

I hope that my son never figures out race, religion and the differences it can create. I know it's unrealistic, but then... I'm very idealistic :)

vinita459Divya.S.R-StarsLinedUp-raneebLinsie

-StarsLinedUp- IF-Dazzler
-StarsLinedUp-
-StarsLinedUp-

Posted: 02 June 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged

</div>
<div>

This is understandable of you... but still so unbelievable of her!

I honestly get shocked when I hear things like this because I am as close to my MIL as I am to my mom. In fact, we're so alike that we often tease my hubby, saying he married his mother! 

But I know this happens a lot, especially within the indian community.  It's really sad, but we are the generation that will change it, provided we don't allow and promote segregation amongst culture and religions.

I hope that my son never figures out race, religion and the differences it can create. I know it's unrealistic, but then... I'm very idealistic :)
Aashna she means well..she is just naive and doesnt know what she is talking about is what I get to hear anytime she does something in the line of shunning me and my ways...I guess she is...she is caring and warm and is always ready to help...but we cant connect...I never thought that would be the case...I tend to get along alright with people..but being with them makes me feel bad for not feelin a connect with them...
Mine is not an extreme case..but still it takes a toll on my sanity...if I live around them and in the future my kids..all I can see is them teaching my kids fear..and a lot of social norms...I want my kids to be free of such ideas...I want them to love cos something is worthy...not cos its the norm...I want to shed them of any fear...and cultural rules...teach to fear...
the coming generation is going to be smart, shrewd and a lil selfish..but as far as that doesnt hinder their goodness I am ok with it...I doubt I need to worry bout such issues..cos I've always been above it...I get defensive when I hear someone bragging about their culture in comparision to mine...I dont care but if u  constantly poke and insist...I will assert...and that doesnt always go well...

Btw I am glad ur idealistic..and worry not it will rub off on ur kids...wat we believe gets to them without fail..n if its the right thing...it will find a way to stick...so worry not...Wink

Edited by -StarsLinedUp- - 02 June 2014 at 2:26pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

vinita459Divya.S.RTamara27raneeb

vinita459 Goldie
vinita459
vinita459

Posted: 02 June 2014 at 2:29pm | IP Logged

</div>
<div>

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? You have boys, right, Vinita?

We can't change the past, but our children are our chance to change the world. You live in the US? Then chances are, your sons will most probably marry American girls - nothing wrong with that. You are armed with the knowledge of how to be a great MIL - just don't be what your MIL is to you ;)

You are absolutely right. We need to make the change. I will try my best not to interfere in their personal lives.

They can get marry with whomever they want. We will fulfill our responsibility as parents by instilling good values and traditions. First and foremost they need to be good human beings.

From now onwards, I have set very low expectations from them. I do not want me or my hubby to be ever dependent on them for anything when we grow old.

Divya.S.R-StarsLinedUp-Tamara27raneebLinsie

Go to top