Page 1
Page   of 3
Page 2 Page 3

DeviatedTesoro.

Viewbie

DeviatedTesoro.

Reliable CC Captain, BollyCurry Script Supervisor

Posted: 05 November 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged

Symbol of the Government of CanadaSymbol of the Government of CanadaSymbol of the Government of CanadaSymbol of the Government of CanadaSymbol of the Government of Canada

At the 11th hour, on the 11th day of the 11th month, Canada celebrates Remembrance Day in the honour of all those Canadians who died in service to Canada from the South African War with a 2 minute silence. It is also called the Veterans Day in the United States of America as it marks the end of the World War One.

While, the 2 minute silence is observed all over the Commonwealth including; Barbados, Australia, St. Lucia, Bermuda, India, Kenya, Mauritius, New Zealand, South Africa and United Kingdom;
Canada is the only country that has announced this as a public holiday.

The poppy is the symbol of Remembrance Day which is donned by almost all Canadians usually at the beginning of November.

"We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields."

-John McCrae

In World War One; at the Ypres, Canadian soldiers were gifted with the title of being "courageous" as they found a strategy to fight their battle against the gas that the German's released, while the French and English fled back with their armies.

While, the other war at Vimy Ridge is special for Canadians because the army was led by a Canadian Commander instead of a British Commander for the first time. This made the entire force feel as one big team.

The Crazy Creatives would like to ask everyone to come together and salute the soldiers who lost their lives fighting for Canada on this day.

Credits:

Angel-Jot.
Roshini1494
Yuvika_15
supercool3

The following 27 member(s) liked the above post:

AahaanaLuvshivs_torontomarine99SanjanaS.arhi-love17-Koeli_Appy--Swetha-SpunkyTigress-Araina-munnihyderabadAngel-Jot.BilliCat.Yuvika_15-RD-KhotaSikaShreya-daya--JujuKkbtr--Iqra--veera25-Dynamite-SanDhirholic.Wahian4lyfSaiSAASUSrelentless.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "|~|11.11.11: Canada celebrates Remembrance Day.|~|" in Members Lounge forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

DeviatedTesoro.

Viewbie

DeviatedTesoro.

Reliable CC Captain, BollyCurry Script Supervisor

Posted: 05 November 2013 at 11:54am | IP Logged
A salute from around India-Forums.

Living in a place like Canada where multiculturalism is promoted and emphasized in society, Remembrance Day is one of the main events that binds us all together as Canadians. The day commemorates the sacrifices of the soldiers, and that feeling itself instills a great sense of pride. 

I remember when I was younger, we would hold a moment of silence in school during the 11th hour. Much before the day arrives, there would be preparations such as decorating the auditorium and building with poppies, poems, drawings, etc. In one of my classes, we actually prepared a mini skit to perform for the other students. Later on in high school, we used to have war veterans and current soldiers who would come and perform the memorial services with us.

As a personal thing, I start wearing the poppy days earlier. For me, it's a way of showing respect and expressing my feelings about it.

My family...we don't really do muchErmm I mean, we wear poppies but that's about it (family wise). But to get a poppy, you gotta donate a bit of money to charity. There's no set amount on how much you give but I just give whatever change I have. It's for a good cause so why not? In elementary school we actually got boxes from UNICEF to collect money (or maybe that was during HalloweenErmm It's been years so I can't remember but there was something involving going door-to-door)

At school though, it's different. In elementary school I remember we used to have a moment of silence, same with middle school. In high school, we had guest speakers come who were a part of WWII and they would talk about their experience. in middle+high school, because we had an instrumental program, there would be a student picked out who would play last post. Flander's Fields would also be recited and we'd end off with a moment of silence.

In uni, I remember last year they actually had a small ceremony. You know how it goes at the 11th month at the 11th day of the 11th hour? So the moment of silence was at around 11 but it was an optional thing. I wanted to go but had to miss out cuz I had class.

At city hall I think they do something too but I've never been so dunno. I know it's a big thing in Ottawa though. I like how we had assemblies in school though, cuz we got to learn about Canadian history. I think it's nice to have such ceremonies because you remember and honor those who gave up their lives and their sacrifices led us to where we are today.

I really don't do much for Remembrance Day. Usually, a couple days before the 11th, people in the city begin to wear a poppy over their heart and if you don't, it's considered disrespectful.
Other than that, I have the 2 minute silence at the 11th hour. But that's about it. Big smile

Home - We never do anything for it except wearing poppies. Smile

School/University - Up until last year given I was in university, we usually wore poppies, had a small 1 minute session where we all stopped what we were doing and stood in memory of fallen soldiers exactly at 11:11, and our flag always flew at half-mast on the day. Smile

Work - Usually the same as above. Smile

I haven't lived in Canada but I did go to a Canadian school in Singapore and we celebrated Remembrance Day always. So, I remember really well that since grade 2, we have been celebrating it by wearing poppies starting of the month of November. We also had a two minute silence followed by the singing of the Flanders Fields by the graduating class.

Before November 11th, I usually wear a poppy flower pin to school or work on the left side - because the heart is on the left side. Poppy flowers symbolize Remembrance Day and is a way of showing respect to those who sacrificed their lives for our peace. On the day itself when the clock strikes 11 AM, I usually pause for moment of silence to honour the fallen soldiers. After the moment of silence, there is a trumpet piece played (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ReHy3o1LNM) - this is common in schools/official government places compared to the workplace, where a silent moment maybe observed only. Lest we forget.

I for one have usually been in school/work during remembrance day and though its a statutory holiday in various places its business as usual. However the thoughts and respects for those soldiers are always given whether through spending a few moments in the day in silent remembrance or through wearing the Poppy (pin) clipped to our hearts to show our support or through spending it at the memorial ceremonies available at City Hall or Civic Centers across our city...some communities hold their own little ceremony...and its covered on our top news channel. 

Usually at schools we have a moment of silence where we stand a pray...they have assemblies for the students that are dedicated to these heroes 

I usually donate money and wear a poppy during the month of Nov. Maybe this year If I'll catch the actually City Hall Ceremony.

The following 20 member(s) liked the above post:

Aahaanamarine99arhi-love17-Koeli_Appy--Swetha-SpunkyTigressmunnihyderabad-Araina-Angel-Jot.-RD-KhotaSikaShreyaBilliCat.Yuvika_15veera25-daya---Iqra--SanDhirholic.Wahian4lyfSaiSrelentless.

Angel-Jot.

Angel-Jot.

I-F Crazy Creatives Head, BollyCurry Screen Writer

Posted: 10 November 2013 at 2:02pm | IP Logged
Lest we forget. A salute to all the soldiers who served for the country.

-Jot.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-DeviatedTesoro.SaiS

--Iqra--

IF-Rockerz

--Iqra--

Posted: 10 November 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged
Lest we forget. Thanks for the thread, CC's. We start wearing our poppies from the beginning of Nov till around the 12th or 13th. Assembly's are performed at all schools and there are many other gatherings around the city. Cadets and Soldiers do the salute and trumpet and are honoured through the minute of silence. I think living in Canada on a day like Rememberance Day gives you a sense of belonging. There's a lot of diversity and it comes out on days like this. We feel proud and sharing helps healing. There's smiles that just signify the respect of the people- before us and that will follow and that's enough. Thanks. :)

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-Angel-Jot.SaiS

KhotaSikaShreya

Viewbie

KhotaSikaShreya

BollyCurry Script Supervisor

Posted: 10 November 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged
Lest we forget. Salute to all the soldiers who fought bravely and strongly till the end.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-SaiS

Intrepida

IF-Rockerz

Intrepida

Posted: 10 November 2013 at 7:27pm | IP Logged
Nov 11 is Remembrance day for Canada and Veterans day in USA- At the end of the day, they were men and women who sacrificed their time and lives for their nation and for that we are in debt to them, in the end we should put aside the nationalities because we are all the same... God Bless all Veterans and their families!

Edited by Intrepida - 10 November 2013 at 7:26pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

-Swetha-SaiS

-Swetha-

Coolbie

-Swetha-

Posted: 10 November 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged
^ Salute to all soldiers & veterans who fought bravely till the end. 

-Araina-

Cool Viewbie

-Araina-

Crazy Creative Senior, BollyCurry Screen Writer

Posted: 11 November 2013 at 9:13am | IP Logged
Lest we forget. A salute to all the lost souls. 
-Araina.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

SanjanaS.

Post Reply New Post

Go to top