Debate Mansion

Tanishq ad /Dark colour

cupoftea11 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P76E6b7SQs8[/YOUTUBE]
Articles related to this ad are coming in every paper. I think its quite unnecessary. They show a dark girl getting ready for her second marriage. 
They (articles) are trying to show that in India color is given a lot of importance and black girls are considered shit . If dark skin is taboo (term used by newspaper) in India, then what is Deepika doing as the Queen of BW. Bipasha , Rani etc. My question is- Are these newspapers overreacting to this ad saying that dark skin is taboo in India?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

priyatnl thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
it is true
dark skinned girls don't get much attention compared to fair skinned and are often rejected in matches. it is rare that a dark skinned girl gets married to a fair skinned guy
I have seen it personally
cupoftea11 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Never happened in my home or with people around who are all from typical Indian families and both dark and fair. 
Someone even commented on this ad saying "It will be common for an american (the ad) but Indian's will be shocked seeing a dark girl in the ad" Isn't that over reacting? America was always known for its racism - black and white
And there the rejecting the black girl for marriage isn't common. Because marriage itself is not common
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Well dark skinned people have always faced challenges in India, especially when it comes to sentiments about beauty and marriage. Indians have a fixation with 'fair' skin.

That being said I found the ad beautiful. I wouldn't have noticed the skin color unless mentioned. It is nice to see an ad that encourages remarriage and a man who is so embracing of his to be wifes kid.

TBH, in my personal experience I have found desis to be more racist and prone to stereotyping races more than white Americans.

This content was originally posted by: OyeChupKar

And there the rejecting the black girl for marriage isn't common. Because marriage itself is not common

🤪

Which country are you referring to USA, UK or Sweden?

McNinja thumbnail

😆 I find it funny that the "shocking" bit is a darker girl in the ad rather than the fact she is remarrying and has a daughter already. Doesn't this alone show how desis tend to zero in on skin color? 

I don't think the focus of the ad is entirely on the girl's skin color, it's more about how the ad breaks free from the usual taboos...as if a single, divorced, or widowed mother in the subcontinent wouldn't raise some eyebrows, let alone her getting (re)married.

This reminds me of the Cheerios commercial here in the states, where they had an interracial couple, and people lost their shit. People tend to have Stone Age ideas of what a standard nuclear family should look like, so it's always refreshing to see media trying to break from the mold.