~Muharram: Islamic New Year Begins~

Yuvika_15 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago
https://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss73/paunad/glitter-white02.gif

"If a man kills a believer intentionally, his recompense is Hell, to abide therein (For ever): And the wrath and the curse of Allah are upon him, and a dreadful penalty is prepared for him."
Surah An-Nisa (Chapter 4), Verse 93

The month of Muharram marks the beginning of the Islamic New Year as well as the beginning of the 10 day remembrance period of the Battle of Karbala and death of Hussein ibn Ali, the Prophet Muhammad's (P.B.U.H) grandson. It is among the four months mentioned as being "sacred" in the Quran.

Many important events in Islamic history have occurred during this month including; the Battle of Karbala which enabled Hussein ibn Ali and his army to enter the city on the first day of the month; the restriction of Hussein ibn Ali's access to water on the 7th day; and the death of Hussein ibn Ali and his clan on the 10th day of this month.

Muharram also coincides with the migration of the Prophet Muhammad(P.B.U.H) from Mecca to Madina.

Muharram is derived from the word "haram" which means sinful. Hence it is a month which is considered most sacred of all besides the blessed month of Ramadan. During this month, Muslims are forbidden to fight, shed blood and commit other unlawful sins. Instead, Muslims are encouraged to perform as many good deeds as possible as the rewards for them are higher in this month than in any other month.  

Karbala, a city in Iraq is where the Battle of Karbala took place on 10th October, 680AD. This is a very significant battle which took place between a small group of followers and relatives of Hussein ibn Ali and a large army sent by Umayyad caliph, Yazid I. Hussein ibn Ali and his supporters were killed in this battle while the women and children were taken as prisoners. Those who died are considered "Martyrs" by all Muslims.

This battle is remembered for the mission it carried , The mission of Truth.
The Battle of Karbala is not sighted as significant as the Battle of Badr but it contains the same attributes of fighting i.e. fighting against falsehood and corruption

Both Hussein and his half-brother Abbas ibn Ali are buried in Karbala and their burial place is now known as the Mashhad Al-Hussein.

Ashura means "Tenth" in Arabic and refers to the tenth day of Muharram.
It is not a parental date but is exceptionally remembered as it marks the day when Hussein ibn Ali, the grandson of the  Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) was martyred at the Battle of Karbala in the year 680AD. Many Muslims fast during this month especially on the day of Ashura.

This day is remembered in the memory of his sacrifice and that of his followers. The way in which this day is remembered is taken from the original time of the battle, as when hearing about the death of her brother Hussein ibn Ali, Zaynab bint Ali began mourning for the deceased and this mourning tradition continues till today and will till the end of time.

Muslims around the globe mourn during this month if different ways.  It is an important period of mourning in Shi'a Islam and is also called the Remembrance of Muharram.

Many of the events associated with the remembrance take place in congregation halls known as Hussainia. These include; expressing matam (a gesture of mourning), staying indoors to follow a private mourning or attending the local mosques for Quran recitation and other prayers while some men and woman gather in public for ceremonial chest beating as a display of their devotion to Hussein ibn Ali and in remembrance of his suffering.

In some areas where there is a greater proportion of Shi'a population or in Shi'a societies, such as those in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq, some men will incorporate knives or razors in their matam to shed blood to experience the same pain the Martyrs of the Battle of Karbala had felt at the time. 

In general many people wear black clothes and avoid wearing
colourful garments during this month.

"Say. Surely My prayer and My sacrifice and My life and My death are (all) for Allah , The Lord of The Worlds."
Surah Al-Anaam(chapter 6) verse 162.

Credits:

18shabbo
Edited by Yuvika_15 - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

neha333 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Thanx for sharing info...will never forget hussain (R.A) and his sacrifice for deen...may allah grant us all the same courage towards our deen and guide us towards right path..ameen
Sanaya.Barun thumbnail
Astagfirullah!
You need to know about Islam. There's NO mourning month.
 We are not allowed to mourn after 3 days of anyone's death. 
May Allah guide you to the right path :)

Islamic new year 1435 has started and here in Saudi Arabia, everyone is celebrating it not mourning.

Happy New Islamic Year to everyone! 
Have a great year ahead! 
Edited by Sanaya.Barun - 10 years ago
Mariaa.SG thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Thank you very much for this post πŸ€—means a lot :$ !<3
dashinggirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Happy Islamic New Year to everyone πŸ˜Š
wishing everyone a amazing year ahead !!!
thanks u so much  for making this post πŸ€—
 it actually means a lot...
and may ALLAH bless us all
may ALLAH shows mercy upon everybody and forgive all our sins (AMEEN)
may ALLAH shows us the right path(AMEEN)...

Edited by dashinggirl - 10 years ago
Somerax thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
May Allah guide us all and help try us to avoid all the bad sins as possible. Insha Allah. Please pray for all the Muslims and everyone who is suffering in the world. 
honeybees22 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
thank you for sharing dear
sadess times in islam
MarkZingerBurgr thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 8
Happy New Islamic Year to all Muslims. May Allah Bless us All.
thanks for the post.
ColdEnchantress thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Amazing Post πŸ‘
Though I'm a Non-Muslim, the info was worth reading!
FatehTejo thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Happy Islamic New Year to everyone. May Allah bless us all.