Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

How much GPA matters?

sonunigamfan Goldie
sonunigamfan
sonunigamfan

Posted: 27 October 2013 at 11:29am | IP Logged
Hi Friends its me Arsalan . :( its my last year of bba (hons) and my GPA is 2.79 ...i started with 3.56 in 1st semster  but due to some tough subjects like finance and managerial finance + accounting  i couldn't able to maintain it :( :( per abhi last year hai just 2 semster are just left if i ended up in some 2.9 cgp will it be useless as i have heard dat cgp must be 3.00 or above ??? i am very tensed regarding this :( :( :(

McNinja IF-Rockerz
McNinja
McNinja

Posted: 28 October 2013 at 3:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sonunigamfan

Hi Friends its me Arsalan . :( its my last year of bba (hons) and my GPA is 2.79 ...i started with 3.56 in 1st semster  but due to some tough subjects like finance and managerial finance + accounting  i couldn't able to maintain it :( :( per abhi last year hai just 2 semster are just left if i ended up in some 2.9 cgp will it be useless as i have heard dat cgp must be 3.00 or above ??? i am very tensed regarding this :( :( :(

The level of difficulty of your curriculum may be weighed in, your experience, recommendations, etc. Trends in your grades may help. If your grades show that you were doing well, had a rough patch with lower grades but bounced back and did well since then, that might help you.

That's not to say GPA doesn't matter. Some places may only consider people that meet the bare minimum and not even bother with those that are below the cut-off point, but there are always ways to strengthen your overall package. Maybe look into post-baccalaureate programs that might help. 

Depending on how many credits you still need to take, you may be able to bring it up a little. 

DonnaHarvey IF-Sizzlerz
DonnaHarvey
DonnaHarvey

Posted: 29 October 2013 at 9:16pm | IP Logged
Depends:
Are you in India and going into the typical by the book corp work? Or innovative corps with new hiring techniques?
You maybe in luck with the latter. Also, being outside of India might help.
The reason I say this is because your experience outside of school can make you just as competent a candidate as someone with a 4.0 with little experience.
Also, a lower GPA may hinder you from getting a higher degree in *some not all* institutions. if that's not your goal then you are fine.

best to check with your career advisory office for better suited help and future career options. 
good luck!
return_to_hades IF-Veteran Member
return_to_hades
return_to_hades

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 11:27am | IP Logged

As long as you are a student GPA matters a lot. You need high GPA for further admissions. You need a good GPA for placement programs through schools and similar headhunting program. You will need to work harder to cultivate relationships with professors for good academic references. It is easier with high GPA. Many firms also look for top GPA students in top universities.

Once you are out of school GPA doesn't matter. Real world is much different. There is no replacement for good hands on experience, career growth and common sense. You may not get into a top university for higher studies or land that dream job in a top firm when you graduate. But there are plenty of well paying jobs out there and a plethora of small businesses and start ups vying for good talent. If you are a smart worker and learn the ropes quickly, you will move up the ranks.

Most important thing will be networking and building contacts.

BirdieNumNum Senior Member
BirdieNumNum
BirdieNumNum

Posted: 30 October 2013 at 12:17pm | IP Logged

if you were going to hit that GOA, i'd have suggested you shouldn't have bothered with the academics. Just take the Bs. You'd have been better off being a sports jock or joining a frat house. Frat boys help each other out with copies of exams from previous yearsLOL as well as with alumni job networking life long. Looks like you made some really bad choices. 

but really, how does one end up with a GPA below 3. Sounds like you were doing Animal House.LOL

now here's what you do. Build some real world job skill- programming, presentation whatever you have to work with. Screw the grades. And stress practical skills in your application. Dont mention your GPA unless they ask. Lie if you think they wont check. Make up all the volunteer activities you can think of. Mention clubs you always wanted to be part of but never got around to because you were too lazy. At least these things are not as bad as the frat boys cheating on exams, and these tips might actually get you somewhere.Smile
  • Page 1 of 1

Go to top