Is Karvachauth wrong? - Page 7

Posted: 10 years ago
Originally posted by AishuHiBawari

I was not hectoring you. It's just that your analogy could very easily be taken as offensive. You compared someone who chooses not to participate in KC to an ugly person who doesn't like the idea of beauty and a stupid student who doesn't want to study. Don't you see how that can be offensive? We had this whole debate about how people who chose to fast should be respected. It works the other way as well. People who choose not to fast should be respected, too.

And I'm not saying that beauty is a bad thing. It's just that the idea of beauty is extremely subjective. What I think is beautiful, you might not. There is no set standard, and I don't think you can ever quantify beauty. So, to call someone "ugly" is just an extremely useless statement because that only means that the person referred to doesn't fit into your idea of beauty, but might in someone else's perspective. What's worse is when the way you look makes other people treat you differently. There is nothing wrong with thinking someone or something is beautiful, but if you treat that person differently than a regular person, that is bad. And plus, your external appearance doesn't reflect anything on your character. You look like your parents, who looked like their parents. That doesn't say anything about what kind of a person you are. But your actions, what you do, what you say, and even your knowledge, to an extent, do. In other words, it's what's on the inside that counts.

wrong again on both fronts. I compared people making VIRULENT ATTACKS. Please don't mis-characterize my position. Again, I am fine with those opposed to KC, but it sure seems funny when someone would want to characterize people with terms such as misogynist just because they dont find the practice of KC offensive or discriminatory.

now for the point about beauty which seems to rankle you. Sorry, everything then can be said to count. It just depends on context. If i want a surgeon, i don't care how she looks. If i want a date, then she better be good looking. No one would want to marry someone who looks like a dog, would they? Yes, beauty is subjective but it is also not as subjective as you are making it out to be. Most people can and do agree on how someone looks, same as for any other trait. But if you want to quibble on, then i can point out that even goodness and apple pie are subjective.In any case, what was the point? You dig inner beauty, great. Go for it. Hope that makes you happy.πŸ˜†
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

wrong again on both fronts. I compared people making VIRULENT ATTACKS. Please don't mis-characterize my position. Again, I am fine with those opposed to KC, but it sure seems funny when someone would want to characterize people with terms such as misogynist just because they dont find the practice of KC offensive or discriminatory.

now for the point about beauty which seems to rankle you. Sorry, everything then can be said to count. It just depends on context. If i want a surgeon, i don't care how she looks. If i want a date, then she better be good looking. No one would want to marry someone who looks like a dog, would they? Yes, beauty is subjective but it is also not as subjective as you are making it out to be. Most people can and do agree on how someone looks, same as for any other trait. But if you want to quibble on, then i can point out that even goodness and apple pie are subjective.In any case, what was the point? You dig inner beauty, great. Go for it. Hope that makes you happy.πŸ˜†

Did I ever say I called you a mysogynist because you don't oppose KC? I spent a good few posts defending the right of women to choose KC. No, but the fact that you would make insulting comparisons to someone who would argue against KC is just wrong. If they make a valid point, can't it be taken as such without saying that the said person is like a stupid kid/ugly woman just because she argues against something? We're all civilized human beings, aren't we? Can't we have a discussion without making insulting remarks about each other?

And as far as the subjectivity of beauty goes, the idea of beauty changes every single day because of pop culture and what's "in" or not. It's fine if you have a preference for the type of woman that you would date, but don't say, "no one wants to marry someone who looks like a dog." That is very hateful and people do not look like dogs. It's because people like you who say things like that that so many women have a negative outlook on their body image. People come in all shapes and sizes and colors, and they are all beautiful!

Edited by AishuHiBawari - 10 years ago
Originally posted by joie de vivre

It's a relic of a shockingly misogynistic past. A woman's social status and worth is tied to her husband's existence, which is why she prays for his long life, because without him, she is worthless and a social pariah. India's treatment of widows has been - and remains to be -  absolutely and staggeringly barbaric. How ANY woman can NOT feel insulted by this load of drivel is beyond me. 
As for women 'choosing' to partake in this sh!t... it's a bit like Muslim women who choose to wear the burqa and call it their 'choice' or women who get boob-jobs and expect society to treat that as something not deserving censure because they are just exercising their volition. These women might be making a choice, but they are also entrenching misogyny and inequality and their actions indicate that they are victims of a culture of inescapable misogyny and sexism.

The sooner women come to their senses and stop showing totally unwarranted and unnecessary respect to their husbands, the sooner these men will learn how to see women as their equal. As for the in-laws, they should fu(k off to the darkest circle of hell or mind their own damn business. Cultural relativism shouldn't be used here as a get out of jail card in these cases. 

Fasting for KC and Muslim ladies wearing Hijab- both are 'choices'. There are ladies who CHOOSE not to wear Burqa too. But with every choice comes a result which , I think will be useless explaining you, because you come across as an athiest to me. Its given in the holy book that a lady who observes the KC fast is doing so for her husband's long life. ( And many husband's observe this fast too). She may choose not to observe this fast (if she is a hindu) so that her husband dies ASAPπŸ˜› And the more you're devoted to your religion, the more rewards you get. Not just in this world, but in the hereafter too. For me, the rewards I will get in the other world hold more importance than the one's I'll get here.
People might think i look ugly in a burqa and beautiful showing my hair but their opinion doesn't matter to me as long as my Lord is happy with me.

I think people should stop talking about hijab, especially the ones who prefer skin show , boob show, Tooh show and what-not show . They just see that ladies hide their heads and faces but they fail to recognize the other important concepts behind the jiljab πŸ˜Š

By the way, to all DM anti-hijab members- which poor lady actually came to you and complained about the hijab being uncomfortable that you all dislike it so much? You've never done it so why complain about it?

Edited by OyeChupKar - 10 years ago
Originally posted by AishuHiBawari

Did I ever say I called you a mysogynist because you don't oppose KC? I spent a good few posts defending the right of women to choose KC. No, but the fact that you would make insulting comparisons to someone who would argue against KC is just wrong. If they make a valid point, can't it be taken as such without saying that the said person is like a stupid kid/ugly woman just because she argues against something? We're all civilized human beings, aren't we? Can't we have a discussion without making insulting remarks about each other?

And as far as the subjectivity of beauty goes, the idea of beauty changes every single day because of pop culture and what's "in" or not. It's fine if you have a preference for the type of woman that you would date, but don't say, "no one wants to marry someone who looks like a dog." That is very hateful and people do not look like dogs. It's because people like you who say things like that that so many women have a negative outlook on their body image. People come in all shapes and sizes and colors, and they are all beautiful!

here is the reference- "but given the virulence of the attacks, i am beginning to wonder if the women arguing against KC want to drag all women down to their level.πŸ˜†" Given the context of that statement, once again please dont mis-characterize my position. If you dont get context or qualifiers, ask around. Better still, ask a lawyerπŸ˜†. I am through trying to explain it any more.

now talking of beauty or lack thereof, i am fine with people wanting to marry dogs. I really amπŸ˜†. I just didn't think it was possible, but then i suppose anything's possible.πŸ˜† By the way, this is getting as ridiculous as it gets with the latest body image talk. If it makes you happy, sure, everyone is beautiful. Can the rest of us now decide who we find "desirable", or is "desirability" a problem too? The only thing that should be a turn on is goodness, even though that's also subjective? πŸ˜† 

of course that was my point and thanks for explaining it so well

Anytime! In fact, I thought you did a much better job of it in your very first post.

People accusing others of not reading their word salad should first take a pause, read what the others are saying and make sincere attempts to understand the position the other debaters are trying to embrace. Instead, we have people coming here to equivocate, liberally label others and lace their presuppositions with nothing but invectives. I don't see a point to engaging such people in a debate.

here is the reference- "but given the virulence of the attacks, i am beginning to wonder if the women arguing against KC want to drag all women down to their level.πŸ˜†" Given the context of that statement, once again please dont mis-characterize my position. If you dont get context or qualifiers, ask around. Better still, ask a lawyerπŸ˜†. I am through trying to explain it any more.

now talking of beauty or lack thereof, i am fine with people wanting to marry dogs. I really amπŸ˜†. I just didn't think it was possible, but then i suppose anything's possible.πŸ˜† By the way, this is getting as ridiculous as it gets with the latest body image talk. If it makes you happy, sure, everyone is beautiful. Can the rest of us now decide who we find "desirable", or is "desirability" a problem too? The only thing that should be a turn on is goodness, even though that's also subjective? πŸ˜† 

I understand the context, sir. You said that women making virulent attacks against KC, or in other words, arguing against it, are like stupid children/ugly women. And there was no need to bring in such an insulting analogy. You could have put forth a good argument supporting KC instead.

And so, are you trying to say that you would call anyone whom you do not find sexually desirable as dog-like? Why are you even comparing people to dogs? It's completely fine and dandy if you have a preference, if you find certain women desirable, but not others. But don't call the ones you don't find desirable dogs.

Burqas and boob jobs are red herrings to the topic at hand.

Originally posted by K.Universe.

Burqas and boob jobs are red herrings to the topic at hand.

Sometimes I seriously contemplate wearing full burqua all the time. That way I can just roll out of bed, slip on the cover and head gear and not fuss over hairdos and what I shall wear that day.

Originally posted by _Angie_

That there is no festival where men can express their gratitude or love for the women in their lives is a glaring anomaly.  

Angie, is this a complaint or a rueful admission?

If on one hand, we are portraying that this festival is voluntarily observed by women, and on the other hand, we are pointing out that men are not coming up with a festival as some sort of a quid pro quo, isn't the "voluntarism" of the original deed, defeated?

Originally posted by K.Universe.

Angie, is this a complaint or a rueful admission?

If on one hand, we are portraying that this festival is voluntarily observed by women, and on the other hand, we are pointing out that men are not coming up with a festival as some sort of a quid pro quo, isn't the "voluntarism" of the original deed, defeated?

@Mr K, I don't think she was nudging men to come up with a festival of sorts now, her point seemed more towards the lack of examples from our pasts or culture where men have openly expressed their gratitude for their ladies which does says something about the deep roots of our patriarchal society. The idea must have been to emphasize that  although this fast or occasion is voluntary  that doesn't mean women enjoyed equality or men were more responsive towards them. 

Personally I never try to overtly blame the traditions or the past for our patriarchal mind-set, if we can evolve in terms of our living, eating or the way we dress, then what has prevented us from respecting each other, or treating the females with equal respect?
Edited by charminggenie - 10 years ago