Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

Is Karvachauth wrong? (Page 2)

-FreeSpirit- Coolbie
-FreeSpirit-
-FreeSpirit-

Posted: 27 October 2013 at 12:11am | IP Logged
A very interesting topic...this festival has been going on for a very long time, it's weird that everytime a woman is expected to keep fast for their husbands at times it becomes forced by the family and society...this fast should come from within if u want to keep it u should becoz u want to not because ur expected to...I have heard of cases where some ladies do not believe in all and they r ridiculed because of their choices...not saying this fast is bad or anything it's a way of celebrating for some their married lives but I do feel it should not be that strict anymore fasting the whole day and it def. should not be compulsory for everyone...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

shweta2728

maha2us IF-Dazzler
maha2us
maha2us

Posted: 27 October 2013 at 3:00am | IP Logged
I am a male person. I still could not understand what is the need of a fast like karvachauth. And I believe if I am truly loving my wife, nothing needs to be imposed on her even what the society exists. All that is needed is husband and wife have to be understanding each other and improve being more caring, tender and gentle to each other. Especially if a woman is pained by her husband and if she is forced to do this fast, it is gross injustice to her.
Still I have one question based on what we see in the society and what they show in serials and films. Normally when a woman dies, the norm of the society is the man finds another wife. But when a man dies even in his young age, the woman is reluctant to marry again. Why is it so? I am not sure how much the society has changed. But in the serials and films they show, when a man is widowed or divorced, he would find another wife very soon. When a woman is widowed or divorced she is reluctant to marry again. Especially when I see serials I wonder, a woman becomes reluctant to marry another man after she has left a bad husband even as the new man is showed to be decent, And I am not sure, how much painful it is to live as single. because a woman is reluctant to marry again, she is always blessed as 'Sada Suhagan raho' or it is expected the husband is to outlive the wife?

But I do like to see women also marry again after they are divorced from a bad husband. 

shweta2728

Tacker_Holic IF-Rockerz
Tacker_Holic
Tacker_Holic

Posted: 27 October 2013 at 6:45am | IP Logged
The festival of Karwa Chauth is no way wrong it is very beautiful! Gujarati's don't keep this fast so I don't really know much about it but yes I agree with Zainab that I feel indian women are expected to do so much whereas men don't do as much in terms of fasting. I hear many couples fast together... it is very filmy and maybe films have influenced men to fast with their wife for her long life too. I think it is very sweet and romantic infact. However, I do wish that men do fast as well because it shows that equality.

Also, if a woman has serious health conditions or she is pregnant I feel that they shouldn't do the fast because it is harmful to them. However, if pregnant women insist to fast they can as long as they eat fresh fruits, nuts, milk to keep their body full and it wont affect the baby. But by all means Karwa Chauth isn't wrong and I feel it is beautiful festival.

shweta2728

apoorvaarnav Goldie
apoorvaarnav
apoorvaarnav

Posted: 27 October 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged
no one should force.. 
it should be because of free will and it should be guilt free.

shweta2728

shweta2728 IF-Dazzler
shweta2728
shweta2728

Posted: 27 October 2013 at 6:12pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by maha2us

I am a male person. I still could not understand what is the need of a fast like karvachauth. And I believe if I am truly loving my wife, nothing needs to be imposed on her even what the society exists. All that is needed is husband and wife have to be understanding each other and improve being more caring, tender and gentle to each other. Especially if a woman is pained by her husband and if she is forced to do this fast, it is gross injustice to her.
Still I have one question based on what we see in the society and what they show in serials and films. Normally when a woman dies, the norm of the society is the man finds another wife. But when a man dies even in his young age, the woman is reluctant to marry again. Why is it so? I am not sure how much the society has changed. But in the serials and films they show, when a man is widowed or divorced, he would find another wife very soon. When a woman is widowed or divorced she is reluctant to marry again. Especially when I see serials I wonder, a woman becomes reluctant to marry another man after she has left a bad husband even as the new man is showed to be decent, And I am not sure, how much painful it is to live as single. because a woman is reluctant to marry again, she is always blessed as 'Sada Suhagan raho' or it is expected the husband is to outlive the wife?

But I do like to see women also marry again after they are divorced from a bad husband.

Wow it was nice to hear a guy's point of view on this topic! I agree with what you said!
BirdieNumNum Senior Member
BirdieNumNum
BirdieNumNum

Posted: 28 October 2013 at 1:19pm | IP Logged

lemme be the dissenting opinion here.LOL I think karvachauth is one of the most beautiful rituals IF the woman can and wants to do it of her own free will and does not resent it. It brings romance and closeness and love that no amount of wining and dining can accomplish.LOL If society invents customs that men can observe, i'd also be all for it. Meanwhile, women who dont like the custom should not be trashing an occasion that a lot of other women look forward to on their own, and that makes the woman feel like a woman who belongs to her soul mate. It's as much about women feeling special as it is the guy. If we throw away all these rituals, we'd end up with relationships that are simply transactional, with all the attendant problems of the modern couple, give and take to a point where it just becomes a business exchange.Smile 

Edited by BirdieNumNum - 28 October 2013 at 1:18pm

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

shweta2728pakhara.GrangerMalfoy.charminggenie

charminggenie IF-Sizzlerz
charminggenie
charminggenie

Posted: 28 October 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by BirdieNumNum

lemme be the dissenting opinion here.LOL I think karvachauth is one of the most beautiful rituals IF the woman can and wants to do it of her own free will and does not resent it. It brings romance and closeness and love that no amount of wining and dining can accomplish.LOL If society invents customs that men can observe, i'd also be all for it. Meanwhile, women who dont like the custom should not be trashing an occasion that a lot of other women look forward to on their own, and that makes the woman feel like a woman who belongs to her soul mate. It's as much about women feeling special as it is the guy. If we throw away all these rituals, we'd end up with relationships that are simply transactional, with all the attendant problems of the modern couple, give and take to a point where it just becomes a business exchange.Smile 

+10000000Clap

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

BirdieNumNumshweta2728

Crux88 Groupbie
Crux88
Crux88

Posted: 28 October 2013 at 1:58pm | IP Logged
To each his own. If the woman is willingly keeping a fast then no body has a right to pass their judgment on her. If she is being forced to do so then it is plain horrible. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

BirdieNumNumshweta2728pakhara

Go to top