Is Karvachauth wrong? - Page 9

Posted: 10 years ago
@Genie -

Since you broadened the horizon. I agree that religious rituals have evolved and changed over the ages. Some positively, some negatively. We cannot deny the influences of patriarchy in how some traditions evolved. Society needs to actively look at customs and traditions and try to evolve positively.

Focusing back on Karva Chauth. I would never deny a woman her right to live her life how she wishes, nor would I look down on her for keeping karva chauth or even revering her husband.

Ideally, I would prefer that the ritual not exist because it appears disparate to me. However, I understand the sentiment that for many women it is a joyous occasion they look forward all year to. It has emotional value, that only the participants can fathom.

My only caveat is lets ensure that it remains a happy choice. Let no woman feel forced or obligated to keep the fast. Let's not disregard a woman's efforts for a happy marriage if she doesn't believe in these traditions. Most importantly may the husband and family, never take a woman's choices for granted and assume it to be as a tool of power or superiority. The gesture needs to always be appreciated and reciprocated with gratitude.

There are still a few places in the world (not just India) where a people are denied their free will and spouses take each other for granted.

Once upon a time dowry was a gift parents of a bride happily gave their daughter to start a new life. Back in the day sons inherited land and business, so giving assets like jewelry upon marriage was a way of giving the daughter her fair share. But that practice degenerated with time. Whenever, there is something that one group participates in, there is a risk of it being abused. We have to be cognizant of the risk.

@K

On its own I have no problem with Karva Chauth at all. If a woman chooses to participate, no one should deny her the choice.

I do get concerned about husbands and in-laws expecting or forcing it or mistreating a wife who chooses not to participate. As long as this does not happen I think it is fine.

"Fairness would be when both the partners participate or none of the partners participate."

Bingo! Ideally, I would like to see a world where we have this sort of fairness. Hopefully, time will take us there. ðŸ˜Š But I agree, if a woman participates happily and enjoys it, it isn't unfair.

Originally posted by charminggenie

@Mr K, I don't think she was nudging men to come up with a festival of sorts now, her point seemed more towards the lack of examples from our pasts or culture where men have openly expressed their gratitude for their ladies which does says something about the deep roots of our patriarchal society. The idea must have been to emphasize that  although this fast or occasion is voluntary  that doesn't mean women enjoyed equality or men were more responsive towards them. 

Personally I never try to overtly blame the traditions or the past for our patriarchal mind-set, if we can evolve in terms of our living, eating or the way we dress, then what has prevented us from respecting each other, or treating the females with equal respect?
That was very well explained Genie.

K, it was was neither a complaint nor a rueful admision just an observation since I am not personally affected . In addition to what Genie explained , it was also meant as a response to a comment by a member regarding hindu practice of revering the spirit more than physical comforts. While it may be true for some it does not apply to all those who practice or support KC. If revering the spirit over the physical was the main theme behind the custom it ought to have been followed equally by men and women and not just women. Spirit is believed to be genderless. So that argument in favour of the custom does not hold. I beieve it started off for sentimental reasons and continued as a tradition.
Originally posted by joie de vivre

And pray tell me how fasting is going to strengthen a relationship? If a relationship is foundering, no amount of fasting or praying can save it. A healthy relationship doesn't need bells and whistles and a disturbing fetishization of fidelity to sustain it.

It just staggers me that the majority here believe that such an intrinsically unequal tradition should be given a free pass just because some women like doing it. The reason why MOST societies remain misogynistic hellholes is because the WOMEN in these places are the biggest proponents of it. Some women willingly do some things which are arrantly sexist, and this is bad because it means we'll never see a world where men and women are considered equal.

It isnt fasting per se but the thoughts and sentiments behind it that work in favour of a relationship. A healthy relationship needs mutual nurturing in any form to sustain itself. If a woman wants to willingly follow a tradition its her prerogative. I dont see why she needs to give up her freedom of choice  for catering to someone else's ideal.
Originally posted by K.Universe.

Yes, its about choice, even a bad choice. No festival can be harmful or beneficial by itself. It depends on the way people take it. A custom can be followed by people with different motives. It could be a bad choice in some cases-

- When a man or in laws force a woman to comply with a custom against her wishes simply to fit in with their peers
- When a woman herself feels compellled to fit in with the customs knowing that it would be detrimental to her health or safety
-When the blind, rigid  following of the rituals results in inconvenience to family eg woman not having her MIL or others to do the cooking when she stays away from the kitchen chores, what happens to the little children or a working husband who needs to attend his work and may not be able to take over the full kitchen responsibilities ?
- Women using the festival as an excuse to not perform their professional duties eg, nurses/doctors/technologists involved in working with sharp instruments like scissors, knives, needles, scalpels . If there are no substitutes to perform their duties it would be quite unprofessional on their part to refuse doing their duties on the plea of KC. Could their bosses be blamed for exercising their choice in replacing them  at the first available opportunity?

All the same people must have the right to choose . With the right comes responsibility for the consequences that arise. Theres a constant feedback going on. One should retain the choice to modify if required. If people choose not to , it is their problem.
Originally posted by return_to_hades

I do get concerned about husbands and in-laws expecting or forcing it or mistreating a wife who chooses not to participate.

I have no doubt that these dirt-bags exist. Very likely, they subdue the woman on other days and on other occasions as well. If they are sadistic to begin with, chances are they will show their true colors not just on the day of this festival but on other days too; which would make it a case of mental harassment and if that becomes routine, it's best to call of the marriage and/or try to seek legal protection.

[QUOTE=return_to_hades

I do get concerned about husbands and in-laws expecting or forcing it or mistreating a wife who chooses not to participate. As long as this does not happen I think it is fine.

"Fairness would be when both the partners participate or none of the partners participate."

Bingo! Ideally, I would like to see a world where we have this sort of fairness. Hopefully, time will take us there. ðŸ˜Š But I agree, if a woman participates happily and enjoys it, it isn't unfair.

[/QUOTE]

Your concerns are not unfounded S.  I did provide a link to a news clip where a man was arrested for trying to kill his wife for not fasting for his longevity. We know that it is not an isolated incident. Should the festival be blamed for it or people's perceived compulsions for conforming to traditions at all costs?

@ K's comment in blue-  I would like to broaden the concept of fairness  to reciprocation of sentiments and gestures not necessarily confined to the same event or time. The husband may have conveyed his scepticism of the festival to his wife who nevertheless insists on following the practice based on her own beliefs. Should the husband be obliged to keep the fast and rituals in this case?  Insisting on fasting just because she refuses to forego the fast sounds like emotional blackmail.

To insist that the wife not participate inspite of her strongly held beliefs also does not sound fair to me at all. I fail to see what good that will achieve other than trying to avoid any possible guilt feelings in ones ownself .Wouldnt it be be fair instead to acknowledge , appreciate or reciprocate the feelings in other ways   rather than insist on a ditto act of fasting or not fasting together at the same event?
what;s wrong in it ? i ask why cant  the women should make karvachauth everyday ? 
why allot the truly auspicious occasions to one silly day of the gregorian calendar , 
that is the only way indian girls can narrow themselves to [least[ fit in the sumptious sofas of my house ðŸ˜Š
Edited by jason-derulo - 10 years ago

@K & Angie

I agree. It is not the festival, but scumbags to blame when things go wrong. I think it is the same with every religion and ritual. It can be made into a positive experience or a negative experience depending on who is practicing. That is why I don't say Karva chauth in itself is negative or a social evil. For many people it is a positive joyous experience. But at the same time there is a risk of it being turned negative.

I try to rationalize based on everyone's input.

Why succumb to misogyny and patriarchy.

It isn't misogyny or patriarchy, it is something a woman willingly does to make herself, her marriage and husband seem special.

But why have a one sided practice that can lead to misinterpretation and abuse.

Why blame the ritual, when it is the individual who is doing the wrong.
But why give even a single opportunity.

Scumbags don't need an opportunity. They will find other excuses to abuse.

Still, isn't it better to be safer and avoid the issue.

Isn't it unfair to deny women their freedom to choose simply because some people are abusive.

What about pressure that isn't as blatant. Social pressure to comply. The perception that women who don't follow ritual, don't care for their marriage.

Same thing, why deny freedom of choice because some people make things negative. Besides there is nothing that really exists without social pressures and assumptions.

While I tend to be apprehensive about it, I understand where people are coming from. As a libertarian myself, I completely empathize with the fact that it is never right or fair to take away a human's freedom of choice - unless there some grave harm or evil.

I'm neutral to Karva Chauth. I don't consider it as a social evil or wrong. It doesn't appeal to me simply because of my rigidly rationalist and egalitarian perceptions. Even though karva chauth isn't celebrated in my community, I've seen women in my family keep vata savitri fasts. So I understand the sentiment women have around such celebrations. I even have a couple friends for whom karva chauth is a special occasion every year and I truly respect those sentiments. At the same time I also empathize with those who are wary of karva chauth. Majority of my friends don't believe in most rituals and a few feel pressurized by in-laws that they ought to keep the fast.  On occasion there seems to be judgment that women who don't keep the ritual don't care about their marriages or relationships or are not good wives, which is unfair. That is where the idealism that the ritual must be done away or change comes from, but I realize that it isn't feasible or fair.

I don't expect women to stop keeping karva chauth or forcing men to partake in it. What I do expect is that participants be cognizant of the risks of negative interpretations, acknowledge it and make efforts to keep the ritual evolving in a positive direction. Also to avoid pressuring or judging those who may not believe in it. At the same time yes, those who don't keep karva chauth should perhaps avoid making their non participation a negative experience. They should also avoid pressuring or judging women who do choose to keep karva chauth.

My biggest frustration is that people seem unwilling to address the potential negatives. And yes, I get that women who keep kava chauth are also sick and tired of being judged negatively as well. That is why I guess good dialogue is important to see where both sides are coming from.

^^ Good analysis RTH.

I like to see a good analysis. A lot of people have made a lot of good points in this thread (Birdie, Genie, Angie, Aishu and a couple of others) but either they were "mere" points or counter arguments.

To your analysis - let's break it down a little bit. First let's ask ourselves where exactly the pain point lies. Is it the fasting? Say, a couple of women were to simply pray for their partner's long life, would it be acceptable without any qualms? And if these women were to do it silently, without much drama and without any pomp and show (gatherings,  gaiety, celebrations, sieves and reflections) would it make it better?

Good summary of the debate, Hadey!
Personally I am a pro choice person. Have seen this tradition being celebrated in the right spirit for a long time and i have witnessed its evolution to some extent as well. I for one would indulge in it depending on my mood and mindset at that particular time. But I have immense respect to anyone who keeps it as I understand from where they are coming from.

As far as it's misuse is concerned , well , the blame like you have mentioned doesn't lies with its concept more to do with the mindset of the people and how they interpret it. They will find hundred other ways to harp on the Patriarchal bandwagon. The solution to this point is not in diminishing or dismissing traditions like say KarvaChauth/Raksha Bandhan  but in making a healthy evolution of their practices with changing time. This way will be more organically and long lasting.

@K 
First let's ask ourselves where exactly the pain point lies. Is it the fasting? Say, a couple of women were to simply pray for their partner's long life, would it be acceptable without any qualms?

I doubt it matters in anyway, won't it question the faith of an individual and his way of worshiping.  if a woman is comfortable and is in a healthy condition to fast then should we object it. 

And if these women were to do it silently, without much drama and without any pomp and show (gatherings,  gaiety, celebrations, sieves and reflections) would it make it better? 

Why would it make any difference, the scale of celebration in no way reflect or measure the equality of gender or the impact of this on a woman's Psychology.  Too much cultural censorship?

Honestly, I feel the problem is much bigger and irrelevant to Karwa Chauth, if a woman is suffering from gender inequality or from a sexist mindset then a festive like it, might just be a usual vessel for her abuse not a precursor in any way. 

That is why I suggest traditions like Karwa Chauth should be used as a way not to remind us of gender inequality but to use it as a platform and empower women about themselves. And remind them that its their choice and right to enjoy the day as they feel like.